Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Naismith » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:38 pm

It's going to be hilarious when Gruden gives up the farm to move up to 7 and take Barkley.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Naismith wrote:It's going to be hilarious when Gruden gives up the farm to move up to 7 and take Barkley.


I don't know about hilarious, but that would be a very Gruden thing to do.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 4634
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 387 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Cheb wrote:
Naismith wrote:It's going to be hilarious when Gruden gives up the farm to move up to 7 and take Barkley.


I don't know about hilarious, but that would be a very Gruden thing to do.


In what way is that a very Gruden thing to do? When has he traded a lot of picks to move up for a RB? Or anyone for that matter?
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 24976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 529 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:
I don't know about hilarious, but that would be a very Gruden thing to do.


In what way is that a very Gruden thing to do? When has he traded a lot of picks to move up for a RB? Or anyone for that matter?


Falling in love with a talented offensive skill player. Have you watched Monday Night Football in the past several years?
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 4634
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 387 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
In what way is that a very Gruden thing to do? When has he traded a lot of picks to move up for a RB? Or anyone for that matter?


Falling in love with a talented offensive skill player. Have you watched Monday Night Football in the past several years?


Absolutely. I know he loves players. But you're talking about his love of players as a commentator translating to what moves he'd make in a draft. We don't really have to guess, we've seen Jon Gruden as a head coach before. And selling the farm to move up in a draft and get a player he wants is not one of the things he did as a coach.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 24976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 529 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:
Falling in love with a talented offensive skill player. Have you watched Monday Night Football in the past several years?


Absolutely. I know he loves players. But you're talking about his love of players as a commentator translating to what moves he'd make in a draft. We don't really have to guess, we've seen Jon Gruden as a head coach before. And selling the farm to move up in a draft and get a player he wants is not one of the things he did as a coach.


True enough. We'll see how it shakes out.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 4634
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 387 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Alpha » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:34 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:
I don't know about hilarious, but that would be a very Gruden thing to do.


In what way is that a very Gruden thing to do? When has he traded a lot of picks to move up for a RB? Or anyone for that matter?


In case it already hasn't been said...and it reallyshould've been said by now...

Calm your tits.
Alpha
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 am

Alpha wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
In what way is that a very Gruden thing to do? When has he traded a lot of picks to move up for a RB? Or anyone for that matter?


In case it already hasn't been said...and it reallyshould've been said by now...

Calm your tits.

I heart irony
VauntedTampa2
 
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:49 pm

Cheb wrote:
Naismith wrote:It's going to be hilarious when Gruden gives up the farm to move up to 7 and take Barkley.


I don't know about hilarious, but that would be a very Gruden thing to do.

Dammit, I literally just predicted this in two other threads. Way to undermine me ahead of time Cheb.

I think it would be a Gruden thing. People don't realize how limited Gruden was here, he never had anywhere near the roster control people made it seem. The most he ever got was GM's throwing him bones. Also didn't help that the cap was **** at the time. Gruden has far more capital in Oakland right now and if he wanted to move up for Barkley he could. He has the other two key positions for his offense set- a QB and a WR1. Next is the running back, and there's a demi-god available. Especially with how much Gruden likes his backs catching out of the backfield.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Super K » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Doctor wrote:
Cheb wrote:
I don't know about hilarious, but that would be a very Gruden thing to do.

Dammit, I literally just predicted this in two other threads. Way to undermine me ahead of time Cheb.

I think it would be a Gruden thing. People don't realize how limited Gruden was here, he never had anywhere near the roster control people made it seem. The most he ever got was GM's throwing him bones. Also didn't help that the cap was **** at the time. Gruden has far more capital in Oakland right now and if he wanted to move up for Barkley he could. He has the other two key positions for his offense set- a QB and a WR1. Next is the running back, and there's a demi-god available. Especially with how much Gruden likes his backs catching out of the backfield.


This is a joke right?..Bruce Allen was Gruden's ****ing puppet and yes man...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Super K wrote:
Doctor wrote:Dammit, I literally just predicted this in two other threads. Way to undermine me ahead of time Cheb.

I think it would be a Gruden thing. People don't realize how limited Gruden was here, he never had anywhere near the roster control people made it seem. The most he ever got was GM's throwing him bones. Also didn't help that the cap was **** at the time. Gruden has far more capital in Oakland right now and if he wanted to move up for Barkley he could. He has the other two key positions for his offense set- a QB and a WR1. Next is the running back, and there's a demi-god available. Especially with how much Gruden likes his backs catching out of the backfield.


This is a joke right?..Bruce Allen was Gruden's ****ing puppet and yes man...

This is such a common myth in buc circles from casual that don't know anything outside of your own teams forum.
You clearly have no idea who Bruce Allen was or is, neither in Oakland or currently in Washington, if you think that bullshit.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Super K » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Doctor wrote:
Super K wrote:
This is a joke right?..Bruce Allen was Gruden's ****ing puppet and yes man...

This is such a common myth in buc circles from casual that don't know anything outside of your own teams forum.
You clearly have no idea who Bruce Allen was or is, neither in Oakland or currently in Washington, if you think that bullshit.


Who gives a damn what Allen is doing in Washington?...Allen was, and always has been, a cap guy...

And rumor my ass....our roster had Chucky's finger prints all over it...from benching, and booting, Keyahawn, Brian Griese, Garcia to Charlie ****ing Garner...

Gruden apologists want to toss around some urban legend that his hands were tied and that's why he couldn't find/develop/sign/draft young talent...guess that will finally be put to the test...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby terrytate » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Super K wrote:
Doctor wrote:This is such a common myth in buc circles from casual that don't know anything outside of your own teams forum.
You clearly have no idea who Bruce Allen was or is, neither in Oakland or currently in Washington, if you think that bullshit.


Who gives a damn what Allen is doing in Washington?...Allen was, and always has been, a cap guy...

And rumor my ass....our roster had Chucky's finger prints all over it...from benching, and booting, Keyahawn, Brian Griese, Garcia to Charlie ****ing Garner...

Gruden apologists want to toss around some urban legend that his hands were tied and that's why he couldn't find/develop/sign/draft young talent...guess that will finally be put to the test...


Agreed. Gruden is a brilliant coach. He's top shelf with Xs and Os, plus most of his players loved him. He is a shitty GM though. Like Millen'esque. His name value has ballooned to the point where people forget that last bit. Its going to kill him in Raiderland. Maybe if he gets another job, he'll have a GM with some balls to keep him in line and doing what he's good at coaching football players.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:28 am

Super K wrote:
Doctor wrote:This is such a common myth in buc circles from casual that don't know anything outside of your own teams forum.
You clearly have no idea who Bruce Allen was or is, neither in Oakland or currently in Washington, if you think that bullshit.


Who gives a damn what Allen is doing in Washington?...Allen was, and always has been, a cap guy...

And rumor my ass....our roster had Chucky's finger prints all over it...from benching, and booting, Keyahawn, Brian Griese, Garcia to Charlie ****ing Garner...

Gruden apologists want to toss around some urban legend that his hands were tied and that's why he couldn't find/develop/sign/draft young talent...guess that will finally be put to the test...

Allen has always been very head strong, part of what made him a rising star in Oakland. Saying he was a puppet or yes man is like calling Kanye a Kim Kardashian puppet. Just no.

Gruden wanted Quinn, Rodgers, JP Losman, but was forced to work with "promising third rounder Chris Simms" who could never fully grasp they playbook. When they refused to draft him a young QB with anything above a late pick he'd ask for and get a journey man vet because that's all he could. Griese, Garcia, etc. And even then he made those guys look great because they were smart guys.

He added: "The reality is we came in with a bad salary-cap situation and we left with some $50 million under the cap, so it's not like we went out and spent a lot of money on players."

Gruden said despite the perception he could not work with young NFL quarterbacks, he has not ruled out any potential opportunities at the collegiate level.

"I really only had one young guy to work with in Chris Simms," said Gruden. "I'd love a shot to coach some young college guys. Look, you know me. I'm an addict. I love to coach."
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Naismith » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I worked at 620 during that era and did a lot of player's shows and was around the team a lot. If Allen wasn't Gruden's yes man, that would have been news to anyone I ever talked to from the Bucs.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Just wanna say, posting an article that states Gruden WANTED Brady ****ing Quinn and JP Losman hardly supports the theory that Chucky's hands were tied and he was "forced" to work with Chris Simms...

Likewise I'm sure that it was all Allen's idea to trade for Jake Plummer right?..doesn't fit the Gruden MO at all...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Naismith wrote:I worked at 620 during that era and did a lot of player's shows and was around the team a lot. If Allen wasn't Gruden's yes man, that would have been news to anyone I ever talked to from the Bucs.

It's one of those things that gets said enough time... Despite McKay being absolutely horrible with contracts and selling out this teams future he was very much loved in the area. So when he was run out of town for a cap specialist and someone who had a good working history with Gruden the very first thing McKay lovers put out was Gruden ran McKay out of town and had the G Boys hire his puppet. Then when Gruden brought in former players they used as that "see, see!" McKay was beloved in Tampa, and most of it rightfully so. But Allen was a rising star- he was pretty much the Gruden of execs, and could have has his pick of GM spots, and he kept soaring up the ranks while Gruden became a talking head.

Allen, 46, will negotiate player contracts, manage the salary cap and have final say on personnel moves, although he stressed that Gruden and the rest of the coaching staff would be involved in decision-making.
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jan/10 ... p-nflrep10
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Super K wrote:Just wanna say, posting an article that states Gruden WANTED Brady ****ing Quinn and JP Losman hardly supports the theory that Chucky's hands were tied and he was "forced" to work with Chris Simms...

Likewise I'm sure that it was all Allen's idea to trade for Jake Plummer right?..doesn't fit the Gruden MO at all...

That's all he ever got to work with, cheap veteran throw away. And he did magic with those. But when it came to investing high draftpicks at QB, nah, you got that 3rd rounder Simms you can work your magic on.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Cheb's Official Post Free Agency Mock 2018

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 am

Doctor wrote:
Naismith wrote:I worked at 620 during that era and did a lot of player's shows and was around the team a lot. If Allen wasn't Gruden's yes man, that would have been news to anyone I ever talked to from the Bucs.

It's one of those things that gets said enough time... Despite McKay being absolutely horrible with contracts and selling out this teams future he was very much loved in the area. So when he was run out of town for a cap specialist and someone who had a good working history with Gruden the very first thing McKay lovers put out was Gruden ran McKay out of town and had the G Boys hire his puppet. Then when Gruden brought in former players they used as that "see, see!" McKay was beloved in Tampa, and most of it rightfully so. But Allen was a rising star- he was pretty much the Gruden of execs, and could have has his pick of GM spots, and he kept soaring up the ranks while Gruden became a talking head.

Allen, 46, will negotiate player contracts, manage the salary cap and have final say on personnel moves, although he stressed that Gruden and the rest of the coaching staff would be involved in decision-making.
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jan/10 ... p-nflrep10


McKay built a roster that enjoyed the best run in Bucs history, including a Superbowl team. That's fact.
It seems highly illogical Gruden allowed a GM to be hired who wouldn't be under his thumb. He was at the height of his powers, and we all know McKay didn't leave town because of the product on the field. It's an abandonment of logic to argue that Gruden wanted someone who wouldn't do what he wanted, after McKay was fired solely for not doing what he wanted. Allen came here to negotiate contracts.
I'm not sure how bringing up that Gruden got all his old players makes your argument stronger.

And the coup de grace? Allen is 35-61 as the GM of the Redskins.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 9261
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 409 times

Previous

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests