MB's "Minkah at 7" Mock Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
MB's "Minkah at 7" Mock Draft

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am

As the title states, with the 7th overall pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Select

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Defensive Back, Alabama

second straight year the Bucs tap a top talent out of Tuscaloosa and fans should be very pleased about it. Minkah has all the accolades you could ask for a man at his position. He's a two time consensus All American, two time All SEC first team, He won the Bednarik and Thorpe awards and was a finalist for the Biletnikoff and Nagurski awards and has the career record at Bama for Pick sixes. He walks right in to pair with second year man Justin Evans at the saftey position or can line up at corner should circumstances dictate. Wherever Mike Smith decides to put this versatile player on this defense from down to down, the defense will be better for it.

With the 38th pick, The buccaneers select

Isaiah Wynn, Offensive Tackle, Georgia

Bucs take another player from January's National Championship Game and add one of its best offensive linemen. Wynn projects to left guard and should start there week 1. Wynn possesses ideal size and mobility for the position and should come as a great help to both Jameis Winston in pass protection and embattled left tackle Donovan Smith. Wynn's blocking enabled Georgia's two highly touted Running backs, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel to shine, and he should do the same for whomever is toting the ball from the Bucs backfield this year and for many to come.

With the 102nd pick, The Buccaneers select

Ito Smith, Running Back, Southern Miss.

Taking a round off to see how the draft plays out, the Bucs finally return to the podium to select who they hope is a steal in the 4th round. Bolstered by a fantastic performance at the Senior Bowl, Ito Smith shows he is a man who runs with a chip on his shoulder and reminds this GM of Darren Sproles.

With the 144th pick, The buccaneers select

Bo Scarborough, Running Back, Alabama

The Bucs dive into the Running back pool and National Champion pool again by taking big Bo who can be the guy to pound a defense especially late in a game. Bo has a top gear and posted a 4.52 40 yard at the combine. With Tampa's new interior offenive line strength, Bo should be able to turn 3 yards and a cloud of dust into big runs fairly regularly if Dirk Koetter can get him the carries he needs.

With the 180th pick, the Buccaneers select

Brandon Facyson, Cornerback, Virginia tech

Facyson has great size and great ball skills and comes to Tampa without having to be "The guy" which would have potentially set him up for failure. We're gonna put him in rotation and get him reps this year with the expectation of him becoming a solid part of our secondary in 2019 and beyond.

With the 202nd pick, the buccaneers select

Mason Cole, Offensive Lineman, Michigan

Cole is a natural football player and comes to to Tampa to fill the roster hole left by the departed Joe Hawley. Cole is a project who gets to learn and develop behind free agent Ryan Jensen while providing great depth along the line.

With the 255th pick, The Buccaneers select

JaVon Rolland-Jones, Defensive End, Arkansas State

The most accomplished edge rusher in FBS History comes to Tampa to join a pretty deep rotation that includes Jason Pierre Paul, Vinny Curry, Will Gholston and Noah Spence. Jones is going to have to fight to make this team and then fight again to get playing time. If he shows us he can be good at this level, we'll have a spot for him.
Mountaineer Buc

Re: MB's "Minkah at 7" Mock Draft

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am

New mock next week with 7 new players on it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:48 am

Facyson has been my Day 3 CB for ages, so love that pick. Lots of good players, not sure it improves us much as a football team though.
real bucs fan

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:49 am

No kickers or tight ends? Pfffffffft.
Rocker

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am

2 RB's? I'm skeptical.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 am

Good, not so believable mock. You'll never have a draft that addresses ONLY all of your immediate needs. But for the purposes of being a mock, good job.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:05 am

real bucs fan wrote:Facyson has been my Day 3 CB for ages, so love that pick. Lots of good players, not sure it improves us much as a football team though.

This^^^ Big fan of his on day 3.

Good mock. I think Fitz is going to slide outside the top 10 in this draft. I think his versatility actually hurts his stock somewhat since he's a projection in the NFL. Is he a safety, a NB, or a boundary CB? If it isn't the latter than is he worth top 10 pick? His talent is undeniable, but I think whoever drafts him better have a plan with how to deploy him.

Wynn would be great at 38. But I think he's off the board by then. I like him much better than Hernandez for the NFL game where you have to block DTs like McCoy, Donald, Cox, etc. Wynn has great feet and long arms and imo will be a really good pro.

I like the idea of going b2b on RBs if we don't get one early. Not a fan of Scarborough's running style but round 5 is great value for his talent and Ito Smith is a nice compliment.

Cole would be good value with a chance to develop into something.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:56 am

So...how do we end up with Minkah? Do 4 QB's not go before us or do we pass on one of Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb?

These team-specific mocks leave more questions than answers. No offense MB, just a generalized comment.
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am

Deuce wrote:So...how do we end up with Minkah? Do 4 QB's not go before us or do we pass on one of Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb?

These team-specific mocks leave more questions than answers. No offense MB, just a generalized comment.

I've got about 4 more mocks I can get done between now and the first round and I'm looking to get different guys each time. Each player is in range for each round TODAY (changes all the time) and Minkah at 7 is one of those possibilities. The draft being what it is, it's too fluid to predict who goes where in order to set up a pick.

The goal here is to discuss different players outside the Chubb/Nelson/Fitz/Barkley possibilities at 7 and look around for possibilities outside of day one. See what I'm saying?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:11 am

Deuce wrote:So...how do we end up with Minkah? Do 4 QB's not go before us or do we pass on one of Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb?

Is Minkah not part of the Buczone Big 4 anymore?
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:11 am

What if there isnt shat that we can reach for DE and DT next year?
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

I've got about 4 more mocks I can get done between now and the first round and I'm looking to get different guys each time. Each player is in range for each round TODAY (changes all the time) and Minkah at 7 is one of those possibilities. The draft being what it is, it's too fluid to predict who goes where in order to set up a pick.

The goal here is to discuss different players outside the Chubb/Nelson/Fitz/Barkley possibilities at 7 and look around for possibilities outside of day one. See what I'm saying?

idk. I honestly have never done a mock like this. It seems like it'd be easy to pump them out. Find a list of players projected for that round and pick one you like.

I guess the Scarborough pick got me thinking but other than that, meh. I guess most of the fun to me is predicting (guessing) how the dominoes will fall that makes these picks happen.
Deuce

Postby Konatown » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks for throwing one together, could potentially see these picks happening. I’m actually a fan of mid round Back to back RBs if we don’t address it in rounds 1 or 2.
Konatown

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:23 am

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I've got about 4 more mocks I can get done between now and the first round and I'm looking to get different guys each time. Each player is in range for each round TODAY (changes all the time) and Minkah at 7 is one of those possibilities. The draft being what it is, it's too fluid to predict who goes where in order to set up a pick.

idk. I honestly have never done a mock like this. It seems like it'd be easy to pump them out. Find a list of players projected for that round and pick one you like.

I guess the Scarborough pick got me thinking but other than that, meh. I guess most of the fun to me is predicting (guessing) how the dominoes will fall that makes these picks happen.

That's the way they've always been done. I gave up on trying to predict the entire draft, I'm looking to understand it. Justin Evans was completely off my radar last year and I thought I had the whole thing figured out.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:25 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

I can't speak for others but I'd be happy with Minkah, but not over the other 3. If only 3 QBs are taken before us, Minkah is the player where I have to consider a trade down.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:28 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote:

That's the way they've always been done. I gave up on trying to predict the entire draft, I'm looking to understand it. Justin Evans was completely off my radar last year and I thought I had the whole thing figured out.

That's fine. I guess it's just not my thing. I do a contest with friends where we mock the first round. We assign points for player at pick, position at pick, etc. I remember one year I got the first 6 correct, and then like #23 and won the contest. I guess that's what I consider a mock, this seems more like "here are some guys we should look at."
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 am

Deuce wrote: "here are some guys we should look at."

Isn't that every mock?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote: "here are some guys we should look at."

Isn't that every mock?

Here's what I don't get. You have us taking Minkah at 7. Ok. What am I supposed to do with that? What if Nelson was still there?

The interest to me lies in "we took Minkah because Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb were gone" vs "we took Minkah over Chubb and Nelson".

This is a glorified list of prospects you like and I could pump out dozens in one sitting.
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Isn't that every mock?

Here's what I don't get. You have us taking Minkah at 7. Ok. What am I supposed to do with that? What if Nelson was still there?

The interest to me lies in "we took Minkah because Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb were gone" vs "we took Minkah over Chubb and Nelson".

This is a glorified list of prospects you like and I could pump out dozens in one sitting.

lol. you're killin me, smalls.

It's a team mock. In this scenario, Fitz was taken at 7. Make any assumptions you like on how it ended up that way. I'm surprised that you're surprised because myself, Cheb, MJW, and others have made mocks just like this for years.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:27 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote:

lol. you're killin me, smalls.

It's a team mock. In this scenario, Fitz was taken at 7. Make any assumptions you like on how it ended up that way. I'm surprised that you're surprised because myself, Cheb, MJW, and others have made mocks just like this for years.

I'm sorry that I had to get on this soapbox in your thread. If we were picking at 19 again, I could maybe excuse it. I think the way rbf did it should be the minimum, even if he did it to prove some weird point.
Deuce

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:33 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Depends on who you ask. I don't think Minkah is an NFL corner, so I don't rate him as highly as those who do.
terrytate

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Isn't that every mock?

Here's what I don't get. You have us taking Minkah at 7. Ok. What am I supposed to do with that?

Save it to a word document, print it out on some Hammermill Glossy White... shine it up real nice, turn that sumbitch side ways AND STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDY ASS
beardmcdoug

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Here's what I don't get. You have us taking Minkah at 7. Ok. What am I supposed to do with that?

Save it to a word document, print it out on some Hammermill Glossy White... shine it up real nice, turn that sumbitch side ways AND STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDY ASS

LMAO!!!!
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:lol. you're killin me, smalls.

I'm sorry that I had to get on this soapbox in your thread. If we were picking at 19 again, I could maybe excuse it. I think the way rbf did it should be the minimum, even if he did it to prove some weird point.

Did you post your mock?
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Did you post your mock?

No. Mine takes longer because it's an actual mock.
Deuce

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am

Look out everybody, we’ve got a badass over here...
Rocker

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:02 am

Rocker wrote:Look out everybody, we’ve got a badass over here...

Damn straight!

jk, but doing an entire first round mock, which I'm working on, is hard. I really want 4 QBs to go before us so we land one of "the big three" but I'm trying not to mock it just because I want it. You have to consider what every team needs and look at all first round players. You also have to factor in trades these days and account for random crazy stuff that happens. I'm not being a **** but that's much harder than looking at a list of players projected to go in each round and picking seven that you like.
Deuce

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am

Deuce wrote:I really want 4 QBs to go before us so we land one of "the big three" but I'm trying not to mock it just because I want it.

Don't worry, it's happening. Mock accordingly.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 am

I just want to know when the big 4 became the big 3. Why was Minkah kicked out of the band? Or is he going solo?
Bootz2004

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:26 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I just want to know when the big 4 became the big 3. Why was Minkah kicked out of the band? Or is he going solo?

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I can't speak for others but I'd be happy with Minkah, but not over the other 3. If only 3 QBs are taken before us, Minkah is the player where I have to consider a trade down.
Deuce

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk