Jets trade with Indy for the 3rd pick in the draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Jets trade with Indy for the 3rd pick in the draft

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:10 am

Jason Bourne

Re: Jets trade with Indy for the 3rd pick in the draft

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:15 am

If Chubb does not go in top 4 we should think about trading up to 5.
Brazen331

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:22 am

Brazen331 wrote:If Chubb does not go in top 4 we should think about trading up to 5.

Yeah , I was thinking the same thing . 1st 3 picks will be QBs imo . Chubb could be within reach
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:27 am

I think teams intentions are becoming clearer... I think the Browns have their QB identified for the first pick (Allen?/Darnold?), the Giants have their guy identified for the 2nd pick (Barkley?), and now the Jets are going to go and take their QB at 3.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:29 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:If Chubb does not go in top 4 we should think about trading up to 5.

Yeah , I was thinking the same thing . 1st 3 picks will be QBs imo . Chubb could be within reach

It's a bold thought. The question is, what would the cost be? A second round pick, maybe two? That'd be tolerable if it was one second rounder, downright painful if it were two.

Theoretically, if three QBs go 1-3, we would be guaranteed either Chubb, Nelson, Fitz, or Barkley. I would be comfortable taking the leftovers at that point.
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:30 am

Yep. No way do I want to sacrifice a pick when top tier talent will be there for us.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:33 am

Giants would be dumb to pass on a QB. Eli is not going to last and they're in prime position to have a Favre-Rodgers type of handoff.

I don't see Gettlemen as the RB 2nd overall type either.

Imo the focus is now on the 4th pick and teams like the Bills and Broncos trying to get there and to prevent the other from doing so.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 am

Teitan wrote:Yep. No way do I want to sacrifice a pick when top tier talent will be there for us.

Agreed. I think it's shaping up to where a top 3 non-QB will fall.

I'd rather keep the pick and take who is there instead giving up an early 2nd round pick for Chubb. He'll, he might be there at 7.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 am

DreadNaught wrote:Giants would be dumb to pass on a QB. Eli is not going to last and they're in prime position to have a Favre-Rodgers type of handoff.

Imo the focus is now on the 4th pick and teams like the Bills and Broncos trying to get there and to prevent the other from doing so.

We'll see come draft day, but I think the Giants are looking to help Eli at 2 and not replace him. I do know teams always have a pretty good idea of who wants who at the top. Pretty easy to gauge another teams interest when you are hanging out with them at shared events like the combine, prodays, the senior bowl etc. The Jets don't make this move unless they know who the Giants and Browns are taking. I imagine they've come to the conclusion the Giants are stuck on taking a non-QB at 2. Perhaps they even tried to trade up with them, and the Giants told them they aren't moving.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:39 am

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Giants would be dumb to pass on a QB. Eli is not going to last and they're in prime position to have a Favre-Rodgers type of handoff.

We'll see come draft day, but I think the Giants are looking to help Eli at 2 and not replace him. I do know teams always have a pretty good idea of who wants who at the top. Pretty easy to gauge another teams interest when you are hanging out with them and shared events like the combine, prodays, the senior bowl etc. The Jets don't make this move unless they know who the Giants and Browns are taking.

All they need to know is that they now have, at worst, a chance at a top three quarterback in the draft. If the Jets had stayed at six and got leapfrogged by QB hungry teams, sure they could go BPA, but they would also miss out on their QBoTF.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:40 am

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We'll see come draft day, but I think the Giants are looking to help Eli at 2 and not replace him. I do know teams always have a pretty good idea of who wants who at the top. Pretty easy to gauge another teams interest when you are hanging out with them and shared events like the combine, prodays, the senior bowl etc. The Jets don't make this move unless they know who the Giants and Browns are taking.

All they need to know is that they now have, at worst, a chance at a top three quarterback in the draft. If the Jets had stayed at six and got leapfrogged by QB hungry teams, sure they could go BPA, but they would also miss out on their QBoTF.

Pretty sure they have a guy identified to take at 3, and to make this move now, they must have a pretty good idea that he's not going 1 or 2.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:47 am

I think Jets wanted to ensure they were in position to get one of the top 3-4 QBs. If there are assumptions about who is going 1-2 it would be that it will be QBs.

I don't know what order these QBs will go and I doubt the Browns and Giants have tipped there hand this far out. What is becoming clear is what most expected and QBs are coming off the board early and often.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 am

Pure speculation, RBF. Not saying you're wrong, just that I wouldn't place a wager on it. The draft is usually a fickle beast. Like Dread said, they may have just wanted to ensure they could take one of the top 3 QB's and, perhaps, this trade was the only one they could get to ensure that happens for them.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am

DreadNaught wrote:I think Jets wanted to ensure they were in position to get one of the top 3-4 QBs. If there are assumptions about who is going 1-2 it would be that it will be QBs.

I don't know what order these QBs will go and I doubt the Browns and Giants have tipped there hand this far out. What is becoming clear is what most expected and QBs are coming off the board early and often.

If that were the case, they'd wait until draft day to make the deal. You make the deal now, because you know your targets there. Though perhaps their target is Mayfield and they know 1-2 is going to be Allen/Darnold...
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am

Hell no. Chubbs is not a jump up for talent. He's barely seen as the best in his position in his own draft and he'd be a far second or even third is any other draft. Garret, Bosa >>>> Chubbs

Especially in a draft this deep, giving up our 2nd is like giving up a low/mid first in another draft. This class is that deep.
Doctor

Postby Buc2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I think Jets wanted to ensure they were in position to get one of the top 3-4 QBs. If there are assumptions about who is going 1-2 it would be that it will be QBs.

If that were the case, they'd wait until draft day to make the deal. You make the deal now, because you know your targets there. Though perhaps their target is Mayfield and they know 1-2 is going to be Allen/Darnold...

I totally disagree with that line of thinking. You wait till draft day and this deal likely costs you a lot more.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 am

I think Jets GM is targetting Rosen or Mayfield. With two other QBs with somewhat agreed upon "higher grades" and Barkely, I think he feels pretty confident one of them will be there at #3.

Broncos (who were ahead of the Jets at #5) sent the entire brass to Mayfields proday. Giants only sent their OC. IDK who the Brown sent. This was a move to hop the Broncos. Mayfield likely won't go 1 or 2 (unless Broncos hop back up)
Last edited by Doctor on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:54 am

Buc2 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:If that were the case, they'd wait until draft day to make the deal. You make the deal now, because you know your targets there. Though perhaps their target is Mayfield and they know 1-2 is going to be Allen/Darnold...

I totally disagree with that line of thinking. You wait till draft day and this deal likely costs you a lot more.

The deal would be in place. Jets would simply tell the Colts they just want to make sure their guy is their.

The same way the Browns aren't going to pass on their QB at 1 and hope he's there at 4, the Jets aren't trading up to 3 unless they know their guy is there.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:55 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I totally disagree with that line of thinking. You wait till draft day and this deal likely costs you a lot more.

The deal would be in place. Jets would simply tell the Colts they just want to make sure their guy is their.

The same way the Browns aren't going to pass on their QB at 1 and hope he's there at 4, the Jets aren't trading up to 3 unless they know their guy is there.

What if they decided there are 3 QBs they would be willing to move up for. 1 will be there
Teitan

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I totally disagree with that line of thinking. You wait till draft day and this deal likely costs you a lot more.

But then you risk the Colts trading with someone else. A lot of people had the Colts trading back with the Bills who have a lot of fire power to move up. If you can lock in your #3 now, you do it. Jets wait, they risk missing out.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 am

My greater point here is that the Jets don't make this move NOW unless they are extremely confident their guy is there at 3.

Obvioulsy I'm just speculating when it comes to what names go 1, 2, and 3.

My guess though is we will see:

1. Brown, Allen/Darnold
2. Giants, Barkley
3. Jets, Allen/Darnold
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:58 am

real bucs fan wrote:

They made this trade now to ensure they are guaranteed in the QB discussion.

Let's say hypothetically that they didn't trade up into the top 3. It is very much a possibility, maybe even a likelihood, that after other trades into and out of the top five are completed, the Jets wouldn't be able to get one of those top 4 QBs. If the Browns go QB and someone else, let's say Barkley, and every other team in the top five selects a quarterback, then the Jets would be stuck with the best non-QB, non-Saquon player in the draft. That's an untenable proposition for a head coach who has gone 5-11 the past two seasons. They need to make a splash, and a quarterback buys them time as well as an obvious talent infusion.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:58 am

Buc2 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:If that were the case, they'd wait until draft day to make the deal. You make the deal now, because you know your targets there. Though perhaps their target is Mayfield and they know 1-2 is going to be Allen/Darnold...

This.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:58 am

Teitan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The deal would be in place. Jets would simply tell the Colts they just want to make sure their guy is their.

What if they decided there are 3 QBs they would be willing to move up for. 1 will be there

That's the same what if everyone trashed when it was proposed the Browns should take Barkley at 1 as "maybe they like 3 QBs equally, and 1 will be there at 4."
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:59 am

real bucs fan wrote:My greater point here is that the Jets don't make this move NOW unless they are extremely confident their guy is there at 3.

1. Brown, Allen/Darnold
2. Giants, Barkley
3. Jets, Allen/Darnold

^^^
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:09 am

I think Jets are targeting Rosen/Mayfield. So...

Browns - Barkely/Darnold/Allen
Gaints - Rosen / Barkley / Nelson
Jets - Rosen / Mayfield
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 am

Doctor wrote:I think Jets are targeting Rosen/Mayfield. So...

Browns - Barkely/Darnold/Allen
Gaints - Rosen / Barkley / Nelson
Jets - Rosen / Mayfield

Very well could be. Apparently Rosen had an awesome Pro Day which was held outside on a windy afternoon and showed great zip to cut through the wind- which could be important for an outdoor stadium team.
real bucs fan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:11 am

real bucs fan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:My greater point here is that the Jets don't make this move NOW unless they are extremely confident their guy is there at 3.

1. Brown, Allen/Darnold
2. Giants, Barkley
3. Jets, Allen/Darnold

^^^

More likely

1 Darnold
2 Rosen
3 Mayfield
4 Barkley

Interesting Indy could still get Chubb plus 3 #2 picks .
Denver is the wild card here and they might go Josh Allen .
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:13 am

Remember the Bills are hot to move up too so think we see them eventually move up to #4 as the Browns love to trade down.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 am

If the Bills move up to 4 it's very conceivable that we could see 5 QBs to top 5. Wouldn't shock me either. I know people will say "but Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson aren't top 5 prospects". Doesn't matter. They are QBs and QBs get overdrafted almost annually.

So that said if QBs go 1-5, who are the Colts taking at 6 and who would we take at 7?
Bootz2004

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk