Bradley Chubb falls to 7?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Bradley Chubb falls to 7?

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 am

Of the three guys getting mentioned as the premium options, I think it's most likely (and probable) that Barkley is available at 7, less likely Nelson is available and least likely that Chubb is there. But when you have five QBs expected to go in the first round, with four of the five teams in the top six of the draft needing a QB as well as another team with two first round picks sitting at 12, literally anything can go down at the top of the draft as teams feel an urgency to get their guy.

Personally, my #2 non-QB prospect is Vita Vea. I also think there's a decent chance he's gone at 7.
Naismith

Postby terrytate » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

So you are 100% certain that those 4 QBs plus Chubb, Nelson and Barkley will be gone before we pick?

I think if you're talking about a scheme versatile pass rusher with game-taking-over ability and a nonstop motor, yeah. There is no scheme or roster that wouldn't be better with him on it. It seemed pie in the sky that he wouldn't have been one of the top two non-quarterbacks taken. Now that the Broncos are probably out of the QB derby, you can't feel good about THREE non-quarterbacks going before us who aren't Chubb.

Seems like it's going to be Nelson or Fitzpatrick in Tampa.

My point was that Alpha seemed to be implying that 7 players were going to get drafted in the 6 picks before us. If 4 QBs are taken, then we will get a shot at one of Barkley, Nelson or Chubb.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:44 am

Naismith wrote:Of the three guys getting mentioned as the premium options, I think it's most likely (and probable) that Barkley is available at 7, less likely Nelson is available and least likely that Chubb is there. But when you have five QBs expected to go in the first round, with four of the five teams in the top six of the draft needing a QB as well as another team with two first round picks sitting at 12, literally anything can go down at the top of the draft as teams feel an urgency to get their guy.

Personally, my #2 non-QB prospect is Vita Vea. I also think there's a decent chance he's gone at 7.

How anyone could think Vea would be more impactful for us than Barkley is mindblowing to me...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:47 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Naismith wrote:Of the three guys getting mentioned as the premium options, I think it's most likely (and probable) that Barkley is available at 7, less likely Nelson is available and least likely that Chubb is there. But when you have five QBs expected to go in the first round, with four of the five teams in the top six of the draft needing a QB as well as another team with two first round picks sitting at 12, literally anything can go down at the top of the draft as teams feel an urgency to get their guy.

How anyone could think Vea would be more impactful for us than Barkley is mindblowing to me...

DTs make very big impacts on the field. Specifically big ones like Vea who have versatility. It’s not far fetched to think he could be more impactful than Barkley.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

DTs make very big impacts on the field. Specifically big ones like Vea who have versatility. It’s not far fetched to think he could be more impactful than Barkley.

I'm not going to get into this again, but disagree big time. Watch their last game when they went head to head. Barkley would be our best player. Vea would be a nice guy to have beside McCoy.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:51 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I'm not going to get into this again, but disagree big time. Watch their last game when they went head to head. Barkley would be our best player. Vea would be a nice guy to have beside McCoy.

The guy next to McCoy could have the bigger impact. Especially if he frees things up.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm not going to get into this again, but disagree big time. Watch their last game when they went head to head. Barkley would be our best player. Vea would be a nice guy to have beside McCoy.

The guy next to McCoy could have the bigger impact. Especially if he frees things up.

McCoy would still be getting doubled on passing downs... so...
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:14 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

He had 1 big carry/run RBF...1..

And it was to the left, and then he bounced outside.....

92 yard TD run...

Rest of the game: 17 carries 45 yards...very Doug Martin-ish
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm not going to get into this again, but disagree big time. Watch their last game when they went head to head. Barkley would be our best player. Vea would be a nice guy to have beside McCoy.

And what did Vea do. Sorry, but anyone who thinks Vea is going to be more impactful than Barkley is full of it. RBs are certainly more valuable than NTs, especially in this defence, and Barkley is a generational talent at RB, Vea aint on that level sorry... but guess I'm some sort of homer of something for dropping these truth bombs, so really not interested in pursuing this conversation further...
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:19 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

To each their own, obviously. There's no combination of six players that could go ahead of the Bucs where I would pick a RB. The math just doesn't work. If they end up taking him, I'll be excited to watch Barkley play for the Bucs, but I am confident that it's a mistake regardless of how he performs on the field.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:22 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

And what did Vea do. Sorry, but anyone who thinks Vea is going to be more impactful than Barkley is full of it. RBs are certainly more valuable than NTs, especially in this defence, and Barkley is a generational talent at RB, Vea aint on that level sorry... but guess I'm some sort of homer of something for dropping these truth bombs, so really not interested in pursuing this conversation further...

Vea himself could make plays, no matter what the guys behind or beside him do because he’s the 1st line of defense. Barkley’s success is predicated on how well the blocking in front of him is as well as his own talent. But he cannot be successful without both. Vea could wreck a run game by disrupting the blocking. That in its self makes him more impactful.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 pm

I guess we should just draft a kicker again...probably that kid from (blech) Florida...

Because aside from kickoffs, every time we put him on the field he'll score points (or at least have a 80+% chance to)...doesn't get anymore impactful than that...
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 pm

I'll bet you guys any amount of money you want that Barkley is drafted before Vea, deal?

Or do you guys think that you're smarter than every GM in the NFL?
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Give me 2:1 and I'll bet a dollar vs your two dollars.

And I think I'm smarter than a lot of GMs about value. I'm definitely smarter than zero of the GMs about talent evaluation, though that's not really relevant here.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Naismith wrote:Give me 2:1 and I'll bet a dollar vs your two dollars.

And I think I'm smarter than a lot of GMs about value. I'm definitely smarter than zero of the GMs about talent evaluation, though that's not really relevant here.

Deal and lol
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Broncos signing Case changes nothing. Despite there being 4 QBs that doesn't mean the one you WANT will be there. Maybe the Broncos only believe in Allen and Darnold, and if either is there they will draft them, but if they aren't they have Case.

Then you have to factor in the "no one saw that coming" guy as well as the team that trades into the top 5. With that one of the top 4 non-QBs could very well be there.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:29 pm

FWIW Bucky Brooks has Chubb falling to us in his latest mock.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:32 pm

real bucs fan wrote:FWIW Bucky Brooks has Chubb falling to us in his latest mock.

DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:57 am

terrytate wrote:
Alpha wrote:
There was a ZERO % chance he was there...REGARDLESS of what the Broncos do!

Why is this so difficult to understand?

UNLESS hell freezes over and 4...FOUR...QB's are chosen in the top 6...those 3 guys are ****ing GONE. They are the ONLY top 3 prospects and it isn't even a debate.

Move on...this is getting redundant and absurd.

So you are 100% certain that those 4 QBs plus Chubb, Nelson and Barkley will be gone before we pick?

How the **** did you interpret, what I said, in this way?

Are you one of those "special" kids...or is English your 2nd language?
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Alpha wrote:
There was a ZERO % chance he was there...REGARDLESS of what the Broncos do!

Why is this so difficult to understand?

UNLESS hell freezes over and 4...FOUR...QB's are chosen in the top 6...those 3 guys are ****ing GONE. They are the ONLY top 3 prospects and it isn't even a debate.

Move on...this is getting redundant and absurd.

Why do think it's so unlikely that 4 QBs go top 6?

Glad you asked.

I'm not saying it COULDN'T happen. As I prefaced, hell COULD freeze over.

The fact is that NOTHING like that has EVER happened. As in...EVER.

Honestly...IF it were to happen, this would be the year. There are several strong prospects (I prefer Rosen) and teams at the top that could certainly draft them (and in need).

An EPIC QB draft (see 1984) would see 4 (maybe 5) QB's drafted in the ENTIRE 1st round. NOT in the top 5/6. As I mentioned earlier...Chubb, Barkley and Nelson are clearly the top 3, non-QB prospects in this draft.

Yes. QB's tend to be over-valued come draft time. They don't become SO over-valued that they're drafted like that.

Christ...I hope they are. I would LOVE to see one of those 3 fall to us.

Just because you WANT something to happen, doesn't mean it's LIKELY to happen. BUC Fan is crazy like this. I work with a few of them. I understand.

For one of those 3 to fall...there HAVE to be 4 QB's taken in the top 6. Of course, there is always the possibility that a team ahead of us reaches for some JAG. I'm going on the assumption that these PP guys aren't retarded...or the Browns...and even THEY can't **** this up.

This is fairly cut and dried. The NON-QB's are obvious to everyone. When figuring the BUC pick at #7, you'd be an idiot not to assume these players are gone.
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am

Fitzpatrick and Tremaine Edmunds are also in the mix to go top 6 IMO. These guys are in that elite group, they just happen to be a FS and a LB and those aren't positions we will be taking at 7 IMO. But the Colts at 3 could very well take Edmunds. And the Browns at 4 could very well take Fitzpatrick.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 am

Alpha wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Why do think it's so unlikely that 4 QBs go top 6?

Glad you asked.

Honestly...IF it were to happen, this would be the year. There are several strong prospects (I prefer Rosen) and teams at the top that could certainly draft them (and in need).

An EPIC QB draft (see 1984) would see 4 (maybe 5) QB's drafted in the ENTIRE 1st round. NOT in the top 5/6. As I mentioned earlier...Chubb, Barkley and Nelson are clearly the top 3, non-QB prospects in this draft.

Yes. QB's tend to be over-valued come draft time. They don't become SO over-valued that they're drafted like that.

Just because you WANT something to happen, doesn't mean it's LIKELY to happen. BUC Fan is crazy like this. I work with a few of them. I understand.

For one of those 3 to fall...there HAVE to be 4 QB's taken in the top 6. Of course, there is always the possibility that a team ahead of us reaches for some JAG. I'm going on the assumption that these PP guys aren't retarded...or the Browns...and even THEY can't **** this up.

This is fairly cut and dried. The NON-QB's are obvious to everyone. When figuring the BUC pick at #7, you'd be an idiot not to assume these players are gone.

QB's going early is becoming a more common thing. In 2016, Goff and Wentz went 1 and 2. Neither of them were Andrew Luck/Jameis Winston-type prospects.

Last year, I don't really think Trubisky, Mahomes or Watson were considered elite prospects, yet they went 2-10-12. If those 3 can go in the top 12, I don't see why the top 4 can't go in the top 6 this year. Plus, there is always a lot of craziness with the draft, who saw OJ Howard falling to 19 last year?
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 am

Deuce wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Glad you asked.

QB's going early is becoming a more common thing. In 2016, Goff and Wentz went 1 and 2. Neither of them were Andrew Luck/Jameis Winston-type prospects.

Last year, I don't really think Trubisky, Mahomes or Watson were considered elite prospects, yet they went 2-10-12. If those 3 can go in the top 12, I don't see why the top 4 can't go in the top 6 this year. Plus, there is always a lot of craziness with the draft, who saw OJ Howard falling to 19 last year?

I had never heard of OJ Howard until the Bucs drafted him. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am

Buc2 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I had never heard of OJ Howard until the Bucs drafted him. :lol:

Like 99% of mocks had him going top 10. Johnathan Allen was supposed to go like top 5 as well (dropped to 17).
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 am

Deuce wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I had never heard of OJ Howard until the Bucs drafted him. :lol:

Like 99% of mocks had him going top 10. Johnathan Allen was supposed to go like top 5 as well (dropped to 17).

Exactly. And no one had Corey Davis or Patrick Mahomes as top 10 picks
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Deuce wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I had never heard of OJ Howard until the Bucs drafted him. :lol:

Jonathan Allen had a bum shoulder, otherwise he absolutely goes top five.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:31 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Fitzpatrick and Tremaine Edmunds are also in the mix to go top 6 IMO. These guys are in that elite group, they just happen to be a FS and a LB and those aren't positions we will be taking at 7 IMO. But the Colts at 3 could very well take Edmunds. And the Browns at 4 could very well take Fitzpatrick.

More and more I'm thinking we land Fitz, which would be amazing.
Doctor

Postby Hatter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 am

@RapSheet
2m
2 minutes ago

Trade! The #Jets acquired the No. 3 overall pick from the #Colts for their 37th and 49th overall picks in the 2018 NFL Draft and second-round pick in 2019. Major move.

Chubb WILL make it to us!

I know Indy still picks right before us but I have hope!
Hatter

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Hatter wrote:

@RapSheet
2m
2 minutes ago

Trade! The #Jets acquired the No. 3 overall pick from the #Colts for their 37th and 49th overall picks in the 2018 NFL Draft and second-round pick in 2019. Major move.

Both the Jets and Indy were already picking before us. This doesn’t effect our chances of landing Chubb.
PrimeMinister

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:58 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Hatter wrote:

Both the Jets and Indy were already picking before us. This doesn’t effect our chances of landing Chubb.

Yes it does. It hurt badly. It kept the Colts ahead of the Bucs rather than dropping down to the Bills pick and made a trade up for the Bills less appealing. The Bucs needed the Bills to trade up to 3. It could still happen, but this deal hurt the chances real bad.
Naismith

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk