Shaquem Griffin

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Shaquem Griffin

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:26 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Super K wrote:

This post right here proves you have no idea wtf you are talking about...

The situations you described above are NOTHING like the Hallmark channel..

Chiller? Maybe..USA or FX? Possibly..but Hallmark, no freaking way..

Now take this nonsensical BS somewhere else and shut the hell up..

No problem. We will revisit when this guy is a Pro Bowler and one of the best players in the NFL.

You did know that my post above was tongue in cheek, right?...I was just trying to lighten things up...
Super K

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm

BucaRican wrote:
terrytate wrote:

If we drafted Griffin, who do we sit to get him on the field?

I mean aside from the obvious players, you can pick anyone on defense, its not like this was a lights out defense last year.

Help me out, who are the obvious players. Who do you cut to get Griffin on board? More importantly, what round do you think he'll be taken in and who is on the board.
terrytate

Postby BucaRican » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm

terrytate wrote:
BucaRican wrote:
I mean aside from the obvious players, you can pick anyone on defense, its not like this was a lights out defense last year.

Help me out, who are the obvious players. Who do you cut to get Griffin on board? More importantly, what round do you think he'll be taken in and who is on the board.

McCoy, Kwon, David, Evans. Everyone else chop chop. Come on this was one of the worst defenses in the league, it's not like they lit the flame on the league. Baker has already been cut. I would take him late 2nd early 3rd.

Edit: Hardgraves would not be cut either, just because we spent a first. But his play last yr was cut worthy.
BucaRican

Postby Sammich » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
BucaRican wrote:
Well you like the wrong damn team. Last time I checked this team has been the definition of the Hallmark, Lifetime, and FreeForm channel:

TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS:

Have not been to the playoffs in 10yrs count that 10yrs

Since 2008 the Bucs have had 4 different Head coaches

50 wins - 94 losses

This team Drafted Josh Freeman, and made him go crazy

MRSA

The list goes on and on. Anyone else is free to chime in. This is not a football team and has not been one for the past 10 yrs, the Hallmark channel is what we have been watching.

This kid is way beyond that.

I guess the fact we won't be seeing Griffin eating W's (plural) is a positive.

I laughed.
Sammich

Postby BucaRican » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:08 am

From a guy that was not even talked about, to the AA Conference Defensive player of the year, to not even being invited to the combine at first, to now attending the NFL draft. Big up Shaquem!

The complete list of players attending the draft:

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina State
Sam Darnold, QB, USC
Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA
Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
Shaquem Griffin, LB, Central Florida
Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
Derwin James, S, Florida State
Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
Connor Williams, OT, Texas

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925222/article/lamar-jackson-among-22-prospects-attending-2018-nfl-draft
BucaRican

Postby Deuce » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:33 am

BucaRican wrote:From a guy that was not even talked about, to the AA Conference Defensive player of the year, to not even being invited to the combine at first, to now attending the NFL draft. Big up Shaquem!

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
Sam Darnold, QB, USC
Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Vita Vea, DT, Washington

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925222/article/lamar-jackson-among-22-prospects-attending-2018-nfl-draft

I don't understand this. So everyone else goes top 20 and he'll be sitting there until the third round (at earliest)?
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:46 am

Deuce wrote:
BucaRican wrote:From a guy that was not even talked about, to the AA Conference Defensive player of the year, to not even being invited to the combine at first, to now attending the NFL draft. Big up Shaquem!

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
Sam Darnold, QB, USC
Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Vita Vea, DT, Washington

I don't understand this. So everyone else goes top 20 and he'll be sitting there until the third round (at earliest)?

Dramatic side drama. "Who will take Shaqueem Griffin...such an amazing story...blah blah blah"
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 am

Great story - do not want

just my opinion.
mdb1958

Postby Nano » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Dramatic side drama. "Who will take Shaqueem Griffin...such an amazing story...blah blah blah"

They'll cut to him every single pick to see if he's doing anything.
Nano

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:33 am

Nano wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

They'll cut to him every single pick to see if he's doing anything.

I expect sometime during the doldrums of Day Three, if he even bothers to show up at that point, that some idiot with a microphone will ask him to demonstrate activities that are normally two-handed. Shuffling a deck of cards, playing the guitar, offensive terms in sign language. That sort of thing.
Cheb

Postby BucaRican » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:54 pm

BucaRican

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 am

So upset with the Bucs with not drafting Shaq. No Reason why they could not have grabbed him at 117 , instead another WR was grabbed. Time will tell but this was very upsetting.
BucaRican

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:20 am

BucaRican wrote:So upset with the Bucs with not drafting Shaq. No Reason why they could not have grabbed him at 117 , instead another WR was grabbed. Time will tell but this was very upsetting.

You’re so easily triggered.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:24 am

BucaRican wrote:So upset with the Bucs with not drafting Shaq. No Reason why they could not have grabbed him at 117 , instead another WR was grabbed. Time will tell but this was very upsetting.

Jordan Whitehead was grabbed at 117.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Don’t trigger him anymore. He wanted the one-handed WR out of UCF over everyone.
PrimeMinister

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:32 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Well I made that mistake, but he could have been easily picked at 117, or we could have traded up an grabbed him. People will continue to make jokes, but its all good. Same people are probably cheering the Antonio Callaway pick from the Browns
BucaRican

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:33 am

BucaRican wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Well I made that mistake, but he could have been easily picked at 117, or we could have traded up an grabbed him. People will continue to make jokes, but its all good. Same people are probably cheering the Antonio Callaway pick from the Browns

What does the Browns pick have to do with Whitehead, Shaquem or the Bucs?
PrimeMinister

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

The fact that someone that did everything right, became the best defensive player in his conference, overcame many obstacles, was the best defensive player on the field against a SEC team in a bowl game, a community ambassador, a model student got picked after a guy that was not even the most productive player on his team with tons of character issues (Callaway). The fact every player on this defenses would have been put on their heals with his work ethic, and how he never quits. This defense could have used a guy that had a motor like that, being that they in the past have tended to quit. Big mistake, time will show.
BucaRican

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 am

BucaRican wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

The fact that someone that did everything right, became the best defensive player in his conference, overcame many obstacles, was the best defensive player on the field against a SEC team in a bowl game, a community ambassador, a model student got picked after a guy that was not even the most productive player on his team with tons of character issues (Callaway). The fact every player on this defenses would have been put on their heals with his work ethic, and how he never quits. This defense could have used a guy that had a motor like that, being that they in the past have tended to quit. Big mistake, time will show.

So Griffin was the only player who could change the defense, huh? Btw once again what does Griffin going after Callaway have to do with the Bucs?
PrimeMinister

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

So Griffin was the only player who could change the defense, huh? Btw once again what does Griffin going after Callaway have to do with the Bucs?

Yes Giffin could have definitely helped changed the defense with his work ethic alone, his production would have shown.
BucaRican

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 am

Would have been cool to draft him, but I also like the story of him reuniting with his brother in Seattle. I think they will probably use him as a situational rusher and special teams guy there, which will suit him better than playing as our 4th LB would (we already have Noah Spence as our situational speed rusher). Definitely will follow his career, and who knows... maybe in 3 years he ends up as a veteran signing in his hometown.
Ken Carson

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:36 am

Ken Carson wrote:Would have been cool to draft him, but I also like the story of him reuniting with his brother in Seattle. I think they will probably use him as a situational rusher and special teams guy there, which will suit him better than playing as our 4th LB would (we already have Noah Spence as our situational speed rusher). Definitely will follow his career, and who knows... maybe in 3 years he ends up as a veteran signing in his hometown.

Noah Spence, we can only hope he stays healthy. His production for the position he was drafted at has still to pan out. I like Noah I was thrilled when he was drafted, but Noah can not play special teams, and Noah just has not been dependable. Shaq will be a hybrid player in that Seattle defense, because of his speed he will be a special teams player day 1, and because of his ability to fly past Oline men he will be used to situational pass rush, and again because if his ability to play the pass he will be on certain plays able cover in the slot. Just a lot of productivity and versatility. I watched every game last year for UCF, you guys have no clue how great he was. Mike Hughes wasn't even the best player on that UCF defense, Shaq was.
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:02 am

“that Griffin’s great clocking at the combine was incorrect because the clock started a little late. It was estimated his time was closer to 4.58 seconds. Still a good time, but not in that elite 4.3-second territory. But, on balance, it made only a little difference in his overall rating and because he was THE feel-good story at the combine, the timing incident was not reported.”

Griffin was a 5th,6th rounder before the draft. Some wondered why he didn't go higher after his 40 time. This was reported after the draft. Super K said that while watching the combine, the NFL didn't correct the time because of the story. I would have been fine with him in the 5th round and it would have been a cool story, but overall there's little chance he's the type of player that would have been a huge impact and I don't think many others outside of BucRican are upset about a ST/depth player that may or may not have contributed.
uscbucsfan

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 am

BucaRican wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Would have been cool to draft him, but I also like the story of him reuniting with his brother in Seattle. I think they will probably use him as a situational rusher and special teams guy there, which will suit him better than playing as our 4th LB would (we already have Noah Spence as our situational speed rusher). Definitely will follow his career, and who knows... maybe in 3 years he ends up as a veteran signing in his hometown.

Noah Spence, we can only hope he stays healthy. His production for the position he was drafted at has still to pan out. I like Noah I was thrilled when he was drafted, but Noah can not play special teams, and Noah just has not been dependable. Shaq will be a hybrid player in that Seattle defense, because of his speed he will be a special teams player day 1, and because of his ability to fly past Oline men he will be used to situational pass rush, and again because if his ability to play the pass he will be on certain plays able cover in the slot. Just a lot of productivity and versatility. I watched every game last year for UCF, you guys have no clue how great he was. Mike Hughes wasn't even the best player on that UCF defense, Shaq was.

I went to UCF and watched about 75% of the total snaps last year. Hughes looked like an NFL player on every single snap he played last year. He is a great player and on the Vikings he will be a force.

Shaq was an amazing player even when not grading on the 'how many hands does he have' curve, but he is a tweener. As a prospect, he has issues. As a person, he does not. As an NFL player, he will need to prove himself all over again, and I hope he does that.
Ken Carson

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am

uscbucsfan wrote:“that Griffin’s great clocking at the combine was incorrect because the clock started a little late. It was estimated his time was closer to 4.58 seconds. Still a good time, but not in that elite 4.3-second territory. But, on balance, it made only a little difference in his overall rating and because he was THE feel-good story at the combine, the timing incident was not reported.”

Griffin was a 5th,6th rounder before the draft. Some wondered why he didn't go higher after his 40 time. This was reported after the draft. Super K said that while watching the combine, the NFL didn't correct the time because of the story. I would have been fine with him in the 5th round and it would have been a cool story, but overall there's little chance he's the type of player that would have been a huge impact and I don't think many others outside of BucRican are upset about a ST/depth player that may or may not have contributed.

When you draft in the 4th-5th round what are you drafting for based on your analysis wise guy? A superstar?
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:57 am

BucaRican wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:“that Griffin’s great clocking at the combine was incorrect because the clock started a little late. It was estimated his time was closer to 4.58 seconds. Still a good time, but not in that elite 4.3-second territory. But, on balance, it made only a little difference in his overall rating and because he was THE feel-good story at the combine, the timing incident was not reported.”

When you draft in the 4th-5th round what are you drafting for based on your analysis wise guy? A superstar?

I said I would have been fine drafting him, but we aren't likely going to regret not taking a 5th round player. There was very little chance he would have changed our defense as you stated previously.
uscbucsfan

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:49 am

I don't believe this is correct.

If this is true, a lot of guys' times are off unless you think NFL Network was speeding up his tape when they simulcasted him running against other guys.
Naismith

Postby BucaRican » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Naismith wrote:

If this is true, a lot of guys' times are off unless you think NFL Network was speeding up his tape when they simulcasted him running against other guys.

He has been against Griffin for very odd reasons, this just amplifies his stance.
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Naismith wrote:

He has been against Griffin for very odd reasons, this just amplifies his stance.

That's not my quote, it's from bleacher report. It was also talked about on ESPN.
uscbucsfan

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:That's not my quote, it's from bleacher report. It was also talked about on ESPN.

I knew it wasn't your quote. I saw it mentioned on twitter, I believe. Video starts at 18 seconds. It just seems incorrect.

Naismith

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk