Shaquem Griffin

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Shaquem Griffin

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Mayock compared him to Kwon Alexander, and I can get the comp. Uses his athleticism to get into position to make plays but just isn't always able to make them- but brings top notch intangibles to help make up for it.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:14 am

We're four deep at linebacker, and zero deep at running back, defensive end, guard, and corner.

I don't want to use a mid-round pick on a linebacker, no matter how great his story is.
MJW

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:15 am

MJW wrote:We're four deep at linebacker, and zero deep at running back, defensive end, guard, and corner.

I don't want to use a mid-round pick on a linebacker, no matter how great his story is.

we could use a stud SS, Shaquem would be really good
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:25 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
MJW wrote:We're four deep at linebacker, and zero deep at running back, defensive end, guard, and corner.

we could use a stud SS, Shaquem would be really good

He played OLB at UCF. He's listed as an OLB, and he worked out as an OLB. Now we're projecting him as a safety? And we're investing how much for the chance? A 3rd? A 4th?

Great story, seems like a good kid, and I'll bet he's an outstanding special teamer and dime linebacker type at the next level. Now, can we draft somebody at one of the ten or so positions we have nothing at?
MJW

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:29 am

Where’s the “you take great players and tweak your scheme to get them on the field” crowd at? Usually that’s everyone’s argument. Now we shouldn’t take the player because x, y, z.

Give him SS looks, pass rushing opportunities, he’ll be a special teams ace. David is 28 and still has a couple years left on his contract, but we’re gonna have to pay Kwon and Beckwith eventually too. And our LB’s haven’t exactly been models of health. You can’t have too many good players. *If the value is right, take him.

*no, I’m not advocating we take him with our early 2nd.
Teitan

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 am

Obviously I'm no GM, so the following is just my uneducated opinion. If the Bucs are able trade down and garner additional picks in this draft (as well as next years 1st round pick of course), then perhaps I take a flyer on this kid with one of the extra picks. But like MJW said, we simply have too much need at other positions for drafting this kid to make any sense. I'm sure he'll do well at the next level for a team that has a need for what he has to offer. I just don't see that team being the Bucs. I think Licht/Koetter have to win this year to keep their jobs and drafting a kid (any kid) at a position of strength is not doing everything they can to make keeping their jobs any easier.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 am

Teitan wrote:Where’s the “you take great players and tweak your scheme to get them on the field” crowd at? Usually that’s everyone’s argument. Now we shouldn’t take the player because x, y, z.

Give him SS looks, pass rushing opportunities, he’ll be a special teams ace. David is 28 and still has a couple years left on his contract, but we’re gonna have to pay Kwon and Beckwith eventually too. And our LB’s haven’t exactly been models of health. You can’t have too many good players. *If the value is right, take him.

*no, I’m not advocating we take him with our early 2nd.

They are busy looking at prospects who are just as good at places we really need help. Even in the third or 4th, there will be guys with real potential. Personally, I'd like to see a RB taken somewhere in that range.
terrytate

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Man o Man, you missed the part about him being able to play edge and then be moved around.
BucaRican

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Buc2 wrote:Obviously I'm no GM, so the following is just my uneducated opinion. If the Bucs are able trade down and garner additional picks in this draft (as well as next years 1st round pick of course), then perhaps I take a flyer on this kid with one of the extra picks. But like MJW said, we simply have too much need at other positions for drafting this kid to make any sense. I'm sure he'll do well at the next level for a team that has a need for what he has to offer. I just don't see that team being the Bucs. I think Licht/Koetter have to win this year to keep their jobs and drafting a kid (any kid) at a position of strength is not doing everything they can to make keeping their jobs any easier.

So have a guy that can rush the passer is not a need? Common everyone is missing that point.
BucaRican

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Ken Carson

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Good god, how could you not draft a guy like that.

I started playing football because I loved it. And yeah, just like anybody else, my view of the game has definitely changed as I’ve gotten older.

But it hasn’t turned into a job or an obligation.

It’s developed into a purpose.
BucaRican

Postby Buc2 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Obviously I'm no GM, so the following is just my uneducated opinion. If the Bucs are able trade down and garner additional picks in this draft (as well as next years 1st round pick of course), then perhaps I take a flyer on this kid with one of the extra picks. But like MJW said, we simply have too much need at other positions for drafting this kid to make any sense. I'm sure he'll do well at the next level for a team that has a need for what he has to offer. I just don't see that team being the Bucs. I think Licht/Koetter have to win this year to keep their jobs and drafting a kid (any kid) at a position of strength is not doing everything they can to make keeping their jobs any easier.

So have a guy that can rush the passer is not a need? Common everyone is missing that point.

We have LB's that can rush the passer. What good would another one do us?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 pm

BucaRican wrote:

Man o Man, you missed the part about him being able to play edge and then be moved around.

The guys weighs 225.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:13 pm

I like the kid and I'm not saying he won't succeed but...

Drafting another LB in the Kwon/LVD mold, who has an obvious impairment, with anything other than our 6th or later, would be really, really dumb.
Deuce

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

The guys weighs 225.

Here's where you get the " no way brah, he weighed in at 227!!!" reaction from Knights fans...

He will be an excellent player and his story will be even better... probably win an Emmy on 30 for 30...

But he's not the guy for us until after round 4...
Super K

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Buc2 wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

We have LB's that can rush the passer. What good would another one do us?

Because he does not have to play LB to start off. He can literally line up and go after the QB. That is a huge need, he has the damn speed and talent to do it. He also could be moved in the future to OLB. Common guys this is not rocket science here. He can play almost 3 positions.
BucaRican

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Buc2 wrote:We have LB's that can rush the passer. What good would another one do us?

Because he does not have to play LB to start off. He can literally line up and go after the QB. That is a huge need, he has the damn speed and talent to do it. He also could be moved in the future to OLB. Common guys this is not rocket science here. He can play almost 3 positions.

C'mon man, it's startin to get pretty freakin deep in here...

He can "play almost 3 positions"?... seriously?..a 225lb LB from UCF with a arm "issue" is gonna become this kind of legend after one, I repeat ONE 40 time?...because he ran over 4.5 the next time out...
Super K

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Super K wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

He can "play almost 3 positions"?... seriously?..a 225lb LB from UCF with a arm "issue" is gonna become this kind of legend after one, I repeat ONE 40 time?...because he ran over 4.5 the next time out...

Again watch the damn tape. That's all. Not going into the rest of your comment because it's repetitive of what this kid has overcome his whole life. NAYSAYERS
BucaRican

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Super K wrote:

Again watch the damn tape. That's all. Not going into the rest of your comment because it's repetitive of what this kid has overcome his whole life. NAYSAYERS

Have at it man..dream your dream..

I want a football team, not a Hallmark channel movie....

He'll play in the league, just not for us...doesn't mean you can't celebrate or cry (tears of joy) when the dude gets drafted..
Super K

Postby Teitan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:06 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Super K wrote:

You are incredibly obnoxious.
Teitan

Postby terrytate » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:14 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Super K wrote:

You are missing/ignoring the point. He may well be a very good pro. He won't be a pure 4/3 edge rusher though. He might be a 4/3 LB, but we have 3 guys who are all as good in the pros as you hope Griffin will be, and we have some raw talent in the cooker behind them. Seriosuly, LB and WR are the two strongest and deepest positions on the team. If Lavonte retired tomorrow, we could talk. That isn't happening so Griffins future is somewhere else. He'll get his chance.
terrytate

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Super K wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

He'll play in the league, just not for us...doesn't mean you can't celebrate or cry (tears of joy) when the dude gets drafted..

Well you like the wrong damn team. Last time I checked this team has been the definition of the Hallmark, Lifetime, and FreeForm channel:

TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS:

Have not been to the playoffs in 10yrs count that 10yrs

Since 2008 the Bucs have had 4 different Head coaches

50 wins - 94 losses

This team Drafted Josh Freeman, and made him go crazy

MRSA

The list goes on and on. Anyone else is free to chime in. This is not a football team and has not been one for the past 10 yrs, the Hallmark channel is what we have been watching.

This kid is way beyond that.
BucaRican

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Bucarican is trolling the **** out of y’all.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Bucarican is trolling the **** out of y’all.

Unfortunately, he’s legit. Not a troll.
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Teitan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Bucarican is trolling the **** out of y’all.

Unfortunately, he’s legit. Not a troll.

I choose not to believe that. No one is this damn dumb. Not even close.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Super K wrote:

Well you like the wrong damn team. Last time I checked this team has been the definition of the Hallmark, Lifetime, and FreeForm channel:

TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS:

50 wins - 94 losses

MRSA

The list goes on and on. Anyone else is free to chime in. This is not a football team and has not been one for the past 10 yrs, the Hallmark channel is what we have been watching.

This post right here proves you have no idea wtf you are talking about...

The situations you described above are NOTHING like the Hallmark channel..

Chiller? Maybe..USA or FX? Possibly..but Hallmark, no freaking way..

Now take this nonsensical BS somewhere else and shut the hell up..
Super K

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Super K wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS:

50 wins - 94 losses

MRSA

No problem. We will revisit when this guy is a Pro Bowler and one of the best players in the NFL.
BucaRican

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:49 am

BucaRican wrote:
Super K wrote:

No problem. We will revisit when this guy is a Pro Bowler and one of the best players in the NFL.

If we drafted Griffin, who do we sit to get him on the field?
terrytate

Postby BucaRican » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 am

terrytate wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

If we drafted Griffin, who do we sit to get him on the field?

I mean aside from the obvious players, you can pick anyone on defense, its not like this was a lights out defense last year.
BucaRican

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am

BucaRican wrote:
Super K wrote:

TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS:

50 wins - 94 losses

MRSA

I guess the fact we won't be seeing Griffin eating W's (plural) is a positive.
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk