Shaquem Griffin

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Shaquem Griffin

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:15 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shaquem-griffins-incredible-combine-continues-record-breaking-40-yard-dash-190622863.html

Let's get him NOW! What is not to like about the guy. Game tape, now he is at the combine tearing it up. He has the will and non stop motor. I don't care put him on the field. I draft him high second, the only problem is he won't be there.
BucaRican

Re: Shaquem Griffin

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm

So you're proposing we draft a LB with 1 hand with our high 2nd round pick. Okay. I'm sure the staff writers at buccaneers.com would be in favour of it for all the inspirational stories they could write, but how would he help our football team? LB is probably our deepest position...
real bucs fan

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 pm

real bucs fan wrote:So you're proposing we draft a LB with 1 hand with our high 2nd round pick. Okay. I'm sure the staff writers at buccaneers.com would be in favour of it for all the inspirational stories they could write, but how would he help our football team? LB is probably our deepest position...

He's a football player first and foremost you dunce. If you only see the one hand your comment is irrelevant. The guy runs a 4.38, was the best defensive player in the AA, and on the night of the peach bowl, and does not quit. Half of this damn team quit last yr and those guys had 2 hands but no heart. This guy won't quit. Its the type of player we need. You don't have to put him at LB, you can create a position for him, because of his talent. Put him all over the field, who gives a damn he is a baller. Ignorance is bliss but he can play edge he can play LB, to have a talent that can do both is a great commodity. Don't forget the game we didn't have both of our star LBs. Your comment just makes me glad that for every "real bucs fan" exist a "Shaquem Griffin"
BucaRican

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I love Griffins intangibles, and he sure is a heck of an athlete... but taking him or any LB in the 2nd would be terrible. Then again, Licht took a kicker in round 2... so anything is possible...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:33 pm

I think he's a guy we could use as a box safety if we drafted him. If you've actually seen him play you'd have zero worries about his tackling. It's about as textbook as it comes. Keeps his head up, wraps the ball carrier up and drives through his target. I'd be on board.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 pm

I love the kid...I'd love to have him..

But we'd better not draft him high AND that wasn't a 4.38 40...I don't care what anyone says..

He had a bad start and the clock stopped fast..

Nothing against him, but just let his true numbers speak for themselves..
Super K

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 pm

That kid is awesome, we just don't need him. We already have a ton of quality LB's. Drafting a LB in the second would be like us drafting a WR or TE early. I just hope he goes to the AFC and not someone in the NFC South, I don't want to see him twice a year.
terrytate

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

3rd rd pick- strong safety all day . Do it DOM !
:blonde: dude can ball out
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:46 pm

terrytate wrote:That kid is awesome, we just don't need him.

Stopped reading here. To hell with that thinking. We need talented players. We need ballers. Griffin is both. A coaching staff can find. way to get him on the field even with a "talented" LB group. But to hell with this "we don't need him" nonsense. We're a 5-11 team with a **** defense. We need all the help we can get.
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 pm

After the combine people are predicting between late 3rd-late 6th for Griffin. That means nothing. 2nd is too high for him for reasons listed, but what would everyone be ok with taking him? 3rd? 4th?...I don't think there's anyway he last past the 4th IMO.

Anyone want to make a prediction of where he goes?

edit: I'd be fine with him in the 3rd. He could be a great special teams player and a utility player.
uscbucsfan

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 pm

We DO need to shore up our secondary and defensive line, but when I watched last season's team I saw a playoff caliber team with a cellar dweller mentality. We need to acquire talented players with the mental makeup capable of changing the culture of this team. Our front office had damn well better be doing their due diligence evaluating Griffin no matter what position he projects to.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Teitan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Kind of have the same discussion going in the combine thread. I’d love to have him here.

Teitan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
At what point do you take him?

After the combine I've seen as early as late 3rd and as late as 6th round. I would be fine taking him in the 4th or 5th round.

Where does everyone think he will go?

I think he put himself in the 3rd round. I’d happily spend a 4th on him. Or even trading up into the end of the 3rd somewhere.
Teitan

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:16 pm

yeah I'd spend a 4th on him
beardmcdoug

Postby Cheb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Let me preface this by saying I like him. He's a football player. I would want him on the Bucs.

But where do you play him? Full-time edge, where he is very undersized? Linebacker, where we are deepest? Safety, which would require him to move positions?

A high second round draft pick should either be a penciled in starter or a valuable member of a rotation with an eye towards starting sooner rather than later. Griffin, in my eyes, wouldn't be either of those things, unless we move to a 3-4 and think he can rush that edge, with Gholston keeping him clean.

He's a project right now. A baller, but a project. I'd consider him in the fourth. Using a second on him means we don't get to spend that second rounder on a talented defensive back or a proven defensive tackle or a day one starting guard or an edge rusher who can hold the edge consistently against guys heavier than 300 pounds.

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him, but I'd be a bit pissed if it was in the second round.
Cheb

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:That kid is awesome, we just don't need him.

Stopped reading here. To hell with that thinking. We need talented players. We need ballers. Griffin is both. A coaching staff can find. way to get him on the field even with a "talented" LB group. But to hell with this "we don't need him" nonsense. We're a 5-11 team with a **** defense. We need all the help we can get.

Do you think Shaqueem is the only talented kid in this draft? Do you think he's the only guy who can play? Put that nonsense back in your purse and look around, there is plenty of talent to be had, lots of it at places where we really need it.
terrytate

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:12 pm

terrytate wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Do you think Shaqueem is the only talented kid in this draft? Do you think he's the only guy who can play? Put that nonsense back in your purse and look around, there is plenty of talent to be had, lots of it at places where we really need it.

Here is what I think, he has the same make up of his brother. He has been doubted his whole life. He plays football at the highest highest level when he is on the field. He makes plays and is non stop on ever single play. If he gets a start as a edge rusher and in the future moves over to OLB than so be it. But having a guy that has 0 quit out does the "do you think he is the only guy who can play". This team has failed horribly in drafting so called prototypical players with talent. It's time we get players that come to play and have 0 quit. This guy has all of that, an by the way he plays very very very sound football. This team needs defense, and he can literally play any end and any LB backer spot, you can even shade him as a Safety on running downs because of his speed. I wish people would watch his tape.
BucaRican

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:04 pm

I love the Griffin's story and the heart he has.

I just question what position does he play? To me, I don't think you can make him a DB when he only has 1 hand. Despite his athleticism DBs need to be able to take the ball away and having 1 hand is incredible disadvantage when trying to catch an NFL pass.

So imo he has to play LB and tbh he does his best work near the LOS. I think he can carve out a role as a sub package defender as some type of hybrid EDGE player.

But he's a day 3 pick, 5th round would be his ceiling imo. He'll certainly get drafted.
DreadNaught

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:34 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I love the Griffin's story and the heart he has.

I just question what position does he play? To me, I don't think you can make him a DB when he only has 1 hand. Despite his athleticism DBs need to be able to take the ball away and having 1 hand is incredible disadvantage when trying to catch an NFL pass.

So imo he has to play LB and tbh he does his best work near the LOS. I think he can carve out a role as a sub package defender as some type of hybrid EDGE player.

But he's a day 3 pick, 5th round would be his ceiling imo. He'll certainly get drafted.

You know who had a nice story as well, Deshuan Watson.

That's the great thing about the guy, he has the talent and speed to play the edge. No way he goes past the second day.
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:39 pm

BucaRican wrote:

That's the great thing about the guy, he has the talent and speed to play the edge. No way he goes past the second day.

What does Watson have to do with Griffin?

I think he could be drafted in the 3rd round. I just think the 2nd, especially where we pick, is far too high for him.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm

BucaRican wrote:

We'll see. I agree he's got speed and talent, but everyone in the NFL has talent so Griffin isn't going to be able to just out-athlete the competition anywhere close to how he was able to in college. We'd be talking about him as 1st round prospect if not for his handicap. But that is the reality. Hand usage matters for NFL defenders whether it's getting off blocks, pass rush moves, catching the ball, etc. Him being drafted and making to the NFL is already remarkable. I wish the kid nothing but the best.
DreadNaught

Postby Teitan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

We'll see. I agree he's got speed and talent, but everyone in the NFL has talent so Griffin isn't going to be able to just out-athlete the competition anywhere close to how he was able to in college. We'd be talking about him as 1st round prospect if not for his handicap. But that is the reality. Hand usage matters for NFL defenders whether it's getting off blocks, pass rush moves, catching the ball, etc. Him being drafted and making to the NFL is already remarkable. I wish the kid nothing but the best.

Bet he gets called for waaayyyyy less holding penalties than anyone in this draft!
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Teitan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Bet he gets called for waaayyyyy less holding penalties than anyone in this draft!

Bet I could beat him in a game of two hand touch
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:20 pm

You have to hand it to him, he's had a great combine.
Deuce

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:26 pm

He had a great combine, but you have to take everything into consideration. On one hand the kid is amazing, but on the other he isn’t the complete package.
PrimeMinister

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:52 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Bet I could beat him in a game of two hand touch

I bet you couldn't even complete the 40 yard dash. You do know 2 hand touch requires you to be able to catch the ball and run right? Or that the other guy gets the ball.
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:53 pm

BucaRican wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Bet I could beat him in a game of two hand touch

I bet you couldn't even complete the 40 yard dash. You do know 2 hand touch requires you to be able to catch the ball and run right? Or that the other guy gets the ball.

ZINGER!
uscbucsfan

Postby Teitan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Teitan wrote:Image

At first I thought he was awkwardly fumbling through a joke, but....I fear I was being too kind...
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:17 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:He had a great combine, but you have to take everything into consideration. On one hand the kid is amazing, but on the other he isn’t the complete package.

:lol:
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17919707

Not saying he would make these plays in the NFL, but he fights off a blocker to catch a tipped pass. And recovers a fumble.
Ken Carson

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk