2018 NFL Combine thread

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
2018 NFL Combine thread

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 am

Yay!! It's the underwear Olympics (no homo) for the the top NFL prospects.

The prospects are segmented into groups (by position) and started the medical, interview, and measurement process yesterday. On-field workouts start Friday and run through Monday.

For those curious on the physical measurements (height, weight, arm length, hand size) of specific prospects, they get measured two days before their workout. For example RB's and OL got measured yesterday (Wednesday) and workout Friday.

NFL Combine Workout Schedule
Friday, March 2
Position Group: RB, OL, ST

Saturday, March 3
Position Group: QB, WR, TE

Sunday, March 4
Position Group: DL, LB

Monday, March 5
Position Group: S, DB
DreadNaught

Re: 2018 NFL Combine thread

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 am

Saturday I can't watch which I guess works out since we aren't drafting those guys anyway
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 am

Anyone think Texas OL Connor Williams would be best suited at Guard? Measured in at under 300lbs and only 33" arms, not ideal for a Tackle. I don't think he goes before the end of round 2 at that size.
DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 am

Personally, I already hate the wide receiver who throughout his college career showed great hands, but dropped two passes in the gauntlet drill. What a scrub.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:31 am

Cheb wrote:Personally, I already hate the wide receiver who throughout his college career showed great hands, but dropped two passes in the gauntlet drill. What a scrub.

Sarcasm noted. :D

I don't put much into onfield workouts at the combine. But there some value in seeing how certain prospects test.

For example Iowa CB Joshua Jackson has great size, tape, size, ball skills, and production. Right now most project him somewhere in the mid first round. But if goes out and runs somewhere in the low 4.4 range it would answer the questions about his speed and put him in top 10 range.

But for the most part the onfield stuff is just checking a box and ensuring prospects are within an expected range.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Quinton Nelson continue to exceed expectations (which are already high), just knocked out 35 reps of 225lbs.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm

I"d say that's more what was expected. I remember when he ripped off 26 reps of 225 in high school...

Though that high rep range is actually silly to me, but that's another subject...
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm still thinking Tremaine Edmunds defensive end.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Quinton Nelson continue to exceed expectations (which are already high), just knocked out 35 reps of 225lbs.

Can't wait to see him bench press on the field.
Bootz2004

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Quinton Nelson continue to exceed expectations (which are already high), just knocked out 35 reps of 225lbs.

Will Hernandez says "Hola."

37 reps
I Are Serious Poster

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:34 pm

mdb1958 wrote:I'm still thinking Tremaine Edmunds defensive end.

Depends on who drafts him. He's not a DE though. I could see him rushing in certain situations, but I think he's best suited to be an Anthony Barr type of player.

As a LB it's easier to scheme it so that Barr/Edmunds have a RB responsible for them pass protection where they have a significant size/strength advantage vs most RBs. I don't think Barr or Edmunds would be nearly as effective if they had an OT blocking them every play, which would be the case if they played DE/EDGE full time.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm

I Are Serious Poster wrote:

37 reps

32" arms also. Still very impressive, but shorter arms make higher reps much easier due to range of motion. Nelson's arms are 2" longer.

Orlando Brown has 35" arms and only did 14 reps. I don't think his strength is an issue.

I like Hernandez, I just think he needs to go to a iso-power based running team like the Jags. He feet and arm length are a concern in pass protection.
DreadNaught

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:43 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

37 reps

32" arms also. Still very impressive, but shorter arms make higher reps much easier due to range of motion. Nelson's arms are 2" longer.

Orlando Brown has 35" arms and only did 14 reps. I don't think his strength is an issue.

I like Hernandez, I just think he needs to go to a iso-power based running team like the Jags. He feet and arm length are a concern in pass protection.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to see these guys in the broad jump.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson was asked what his mindset is in the trenches: “I want to dominate all of my opponents, and take their will away to play the game.”

Give me this guy.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:I'm still thinking Tremaine Edmunds defensive end.

Depends on who drafts him. He's not a DE though. I could see him rushing in certain situations, but I think he's best suited to be an Anthony Barr type of player.

As a LB it's easier to scheme it so that Barr/Edmunds have a RB responsible for them pass protection where they have a significant size/strength advantage vs most RBs. I don't think Barr or Edmunds would be nearly as effective if they had an OT blocking them every play, which would be the case if they played DE/EDGE full time.

Barr is exactly who I thought of. I recall many hyping him up as a guy who would become a rush LB or even DE because of his size and measurables. But the reality is for Barr and Edmunds forcing them into that role would be a terrible mistake and misuse of their talents. Barr has become one of the top LBs in the league and Edmunds has that ability as well.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

37 reps

I think you're nitpicking. Hernandez is a great prospect for all 32 teams to consider.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

37 reps

That's complete fiction. Shorter arms don't give you a higher rep advantage.

Bench press is a poor indicator of functional strength for NFL prospects. Especially Oline and Dline players. I think squatting would be slightly better as they'd have to demonstrate strength in their core and lower base. These bench press numbers mean about as much as the 40 does.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I think you're nitpicking. Hernandez is a great prospect for all 32 teams to consider.

I'm certainly being nit-picky. But imo Hernandez is not as scheme versatile as Billy Price or Isiah Wynn. Hernandez is certainly better in certain aspects, but he's worse in more than some of these other guys clustered in the day 2 range.

Point is, if you want your Olinemen moving their feet in your offense, like a ZBS w/ lots of screens and outside runs a Guard prospect like Hernandez won't carry as high a grade for you as he would for a team like the Jags.

I don't mean to describe Hernandez as a statue b/c he does move ok. It just isn't his strength or even something I'd consider to be average for a top 50 prospect (which I think he is). Combine that with his below average arm length and it's a just some concerns. He certainly has upside as a dominant run blocker.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

How many powerlifters you see with long arms? You even seen basketball players in the gym working out, they moving heavy weight?

Methinks you have no idea what the resistance effects of range of motion are.

Let me provide a easy example to understand. A person w/ 35" arms vs someone with 28" arms. The person has to push the weight an additional 7" EVERY REP compared to the person with 28" arms.

So after just 10 reps the person w/ longer arms has pushed the weight a cumulative of 70 additional inches despite both people only completing 10 reps.

Get it yet?
Last edited by DreadNaught on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:21 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

How many powerlifters you see with long arms? You even seen basketball players in the gym working out, they moving heavy weight?

Basketball players are not powerlifters. Completely different type of athlete. C'mon now.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Basketball players are not powerlifters. Completely different type of athlete. C'mon now.

Was this sarcasm? If not, the point (which you missed) was range of motion. I used basketball players since they traditionally have longer arms. Their functional 'push' strength often much better than their bench press ability would indicate since range of motion is much greater than a normal/averaged sized person.

Again this is in response to Bootz comment that range of motion (distance the weight has to travel) plays no factor in weight lifting. Which is a nonsensical statement to anyone that has been in a weight room and/or has a basic grasp of physics.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Shorter arms DEFINITELY aids in benching...whether reps or weight..

That being said, Brown getting 14 reps is not good..that's trash...WR numbers...

The bench DOES suck as a "strength" measure..it should be the power clean...if that's too dangerous and you wanna makem bench, makem incline as that shows the true angle one attempts to block with..

/Rant
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Barr is exactly who I thought of. I recall many hyping him up as a guy who would become a rush LB or even DE because of his size and measurables. But the reality is for Barr and Edmunds forcing them into that role would be a terrible mistake and misuse of their talents. Barr has become one of the top LBs in the league and Edmunds has that ability as well.

So your saying its alright for me to be wrong just in case I'm not right? Barr is playing just how the Vikings wanted him to play. I'll wait to see if Edmunds is faster, longer and stronger.

Ohh, and more gifted!
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Bench press is a poor indicator of functional strength for NFL prospects. Especially Oline and Dline players. I think squatting would be slightly better as they'd have to demonstrate strength in their core and lower base. These bench press numbers mean about as much as the 40 does.

I would say bench press does mean something ... Bucs drafted DE Eric Curry and I don’t think he could do 1 rep .
He sucked bad
Jason Bourne

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Orlando Brown has 35" arms and only did 14 reps. I don't think his strength is an issue.

Strength will definitely be an issue. The only reason it's not a complete red flag is that it's likely easily fixable for a guy that size to add strength. But if he stays a 14 rep guy, he will definitely have trouble with the power of NFL defenders.

You are right about the arms, though. It's much more difficult for people with longer arms to bench weight and reps than someone with short arms.
Naismith

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think you're nitpicking. Hernandez is a great prospect for all 32 teams to consider.

I'm certainly being nit-picky. But imo Hernandez is not as scheme versatile as Billy Price or Isiah Wynn. Hernandez is certainly better in certain aspects, but he's worse in more than some of these other guys clustered in the day 2 range.

Point is, if you want your Olinemen moving their feet in your offense, like a ZBS w/ lots of screens and outside runs a Guard prospect like Hernandez won't carry as high a grade for you as he would for a team like the Jags.

I don't mean to describe Hernandez as a statue b/c he does move ok. It just isn't his strength or even something I'd consider to be average for a top 50 prospect (which I think he is). Combine that with his below average arm length and it's a just some concerns. He certainly has upside as a dominant run blocker.

I love Hernandez, but yeah, he'd be at his best in a power scheme, knocking guys back at the POA.

By the same token, I wouldn't want Wynn for that. But if I had a ZBS? High second round.
MJW

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 pm

Naismith wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Orlando Brown has 35" arms and only did 14 reps. I don't think his strength is an issue.

Strength will definitely be an issue. The only reason it's not a complete red flag is that it's likely easily fixable for a guy that size to add strength. But if he stays a 14 rep guy, he will definitely have trouble with the power of NFL defenders.

You are right about the arms, though. It's much more difficult for people with longer arms to bench weight and reps than someone with short arms.

14 reps at his size with 4 years in an elite program's strength and nutrition programs is not normally something that can be fixed. Although, he did shed 75 pounds since arriving at OU in the wake of his father's untimely death, so -- maybe? *lifts palms and shrugs*
I Are Serious Poster

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:43 am

Naismith wrote:

14 reps at his size with 4 years in an elite program's strength and nutrition programs is not normally something that can be fixed. Although, he did shed 75 pounds since arriving at OU in the wake of his father's untimely death, so -- maybe? *lifts palms and shrugs*

At his size, you draft him to be your right tackle and essentially to be a sponge.

There was this dude with the Superbowl Rams...Fred Miller. And he was their right tackle. And nothing about him was great. But he was huge (6'7 330) and had wide hips and he'd essentially just get in the way of rushers with his natural size. He ended up playing 13 years and 192 games in the league, including a couple of big free agent contracts.

I think that's what we might be talking about here. Is a 10 year high-average right tackle worth a first round pick? It probably depends on the team.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 am

I wonder what the possibility of drafting Nelson and putting him at LT is. Could he be worse than Donovan Smith? He seems to have everything Smith does and more.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:01 am

terrytate wrote:I wonder what the possibility of drafting Nelson and putting him at LT is. Could he be worse than Donovan Smith? He seems to have everything Smith does and more.

No way you're serious about this. Not a chance.
Bootz2004

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk