Is the DE going to pass us by?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Is the DE going to pass us by?

Postby MJW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:
Gaines Adams was a reach. Nobody was happy with that pick then, and nobody is defending it.

AJ Clay? Should have been Cameron Jordan. I said so at the time. In which case, nobody is complaining. Brian Price, how about Carlos Dunlap?

Missing on a player doesn't undermine a process.

I'm sorry but that's complete revisionist history. The board was all on board with Gaines all hailing him the next Simeon Rice. Sure, did people want Calvin Johnson more? Yeah, but he was long gone.

I have a completely different recollection.

The dreamers wanted Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas.
Nearly everyone else wanted Adrian Peterson, Laron Landry, or in a couple of cases, Patrick Willis.
A few people wanted Amobi Okoye, mainly because he was only 19 and had unlimited room for growth.
I remember one or two who wanted Brady Quinn.

I can't really remember one person who was banging the drum for Gaines Adams before the draft. After he was drafted, everyone got excited, because that's what you do.
MJW

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm sorry but that's complete revisionist history. The board was all on board with Gaines all hailing him the next Simeon Rice. Sure, did people want Calvin Johnson more? Yeah, but he was long gone.

Nearly everyone else wanted Adrian Peterson, Laron Landry, or in a couple of cases, Patrick Willis.
A few people wanted Amobi Okoye, mainly because he was only 19 and had unlimited room for growth.

I can't really remember one person who was banging the drum for Gaines Adams before the draft. After he was drafted, everyone got excited, because that's what you do.

This.

More people wanted Alan Branch than Gaines Adams. I mean we were all convinced Megatron would be picked.

I will say no one was pissed about Gaines. It was a collective disappointment after the Lions did the unthinkable.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 am

The only thing I remember about that draft was thinking Adrian Peterson was too banged up from college.

My second biggest draft whiff ever.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 am

Think we can roll this up to 2/18/2018. Everybody loves a good history lesson or two on their way to here and now...
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm sorry but that's complete revisionist history. The board was all on board with Gaines all hailing him the next Simeon Rice. Sure, did people want Calvin Johnson more? Yeah, but he was long gone.

I remember it like this as well. I was praying CJ would fall to us, didn't think Detroit could take another WR... great pick by them though. I loved AP, one of my favourite players of all-time, but I was still sold on Cadillac bouncing back. I believe after CJ came off the board, I was one of the Brady Quinn advocates. Not that I loved him as a prospect, but our QB situation was that dire, and he was my favourite QB in the draft (albeit a terrible QB draft). Thought we might as well gamble on a QB with CJ gone. Gaines wasn't really an option at 4 I thought, and was shocked by the pick. Did try and get on board though after like most tend to do...
real bucs fan

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk