Fitz or Nelson?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Fitz or Nelson

Poll ended at Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Fitz
33%
Nelson
67%

Total votes : 24

Re: Fitz or Nelson?

Postby Doctor » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
I doubt they've done that. Especially with all of these teams needing QBs and there being a better group than last year. Top 5 for both is a major stretch. Top 3 isn't happening.

That said let's say you're right. Still have Nelson, Ward, Vea, Davenport, Fitzpatrick, James, Williams even if we wanted to bookend him with Smith. And more. There will be players worthy of the pick.

Top 5 is definitely not a stretch, and top 3 is a real possibility.

I think I'm leaning towards the DB route if both are gone. Really hope we sign Norwell so we don't burn this pick on a guard (as good as he is). Fitz, Jackson, and James are my targets. Davenport is a darkhorse gamble, but I could get behind it.

I'll take Norwell AND Nelson.
Doctor

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:57 am

Doctor wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Top 5 is definitely not a stretch, and top 3 is a real possibility.

I think I'm leaning towards the DB route if both are gone. Really hope we sign Norwell so we don't burn this pick on a guard (as good as he is). Fitz, Jackson, and James are my targets. Davenport is a darkhorse gamble, but I could get behind it.

I'll take Norwell AND Nelson.

Yup. My picks would be Chubb then Nelson, in that order. No matter who we sign in FA. Fitz vs Nelson isn't even a debate to me. My question is who do we take if Chubb and Nelson are gone, say for example that 4 QBs go plus Chubb and Nelson, who is the guy then because that's the scenario that scares me.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 am

terrytate wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'll take Norwell AND Nelson.

Yup. My picks would be Chubb then Nelson, in that order. No matter who we sign in FA. Fitz vs Nelson isn't even a debate to me. My question is who do we take if Chubb and Nelson are gone, say for example that 4 QBs go plus Chubb and Nelson, who is the guy then because that's the scenario that scares me.

You take Barkley and run.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:19 am

terrytate wrote:My question is who do we take if Chubb and Nelson are gone, say for example that 4 QBs go plus Chubb and Nelson, who is the guy then because that's the scenario that scares me.

While it may not be ideal, it is still a very favorable scenario if arguably the top player in the draft is still on the board at 7.

I get the arguments against drafting RBs early. But the fact is that RB is still a position of need for the Bucs and Barkley would be BY FAR the highest graded player on the board in that scenario.

I don't think there is much of a change Barkley falls to 7, but if he does the only prospects I'd even consider over him would be Chubb or Nelson.
DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:53 am

DreadNaught wrote:
terrytate wrote:My question is who do we take if Chubb and Nelson are gone, say for example that 4 QBs go plus Chubb and Nelson, who is the guy then because that's the scenario that scares me.

While it may not be ideal, it is still a very favorable scenario if arguably the top player in the draft is still on the board at 7.

I get the arguments against drafting RBs early. But the fact is that RB is still a position of need for the Bucs and Barkley would be BY FAR the highest graded player on the board in that scenario.

I don't think there is much of a change Barkley falls to 7, but if he does the only prospects I'd even consider over him would be Chubb or Nelson.

Seconded wholeheartedly.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:47 am

Cheb wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Seconded wholeheartedly.

Thirded.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 am

DreadNaught wrote:

I'd consider Fitz over Barkley. At the end there are 4 players I'd be happy walking away with and we're picking 7th in a super QB draft. One has to be there.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:54 am

DreadNaught wrote:I get the arguments against drafting RBs early. But the fact is that RB is still a position of need for the Bucs and Barkley would be BY FAR the highest graded player on the board in that scenario.

Here's where this line of thinking fails for me.

Let's say Barkley is the top player on our board. Let's assign him the arbitrary grade of "10" for this exercise.
Let's say our 2nd favorite player is Quentin Nelson. Let's assign him the grade of "9."

We draft Barkley because he has the highest grade. Simple, right?

Okay, now it's Round Two.

Our top player on the board is, let's say, Sony Michel. He has a grade of 8.
Our next best player is Will Hernandez. He has a grade of 6.

Obviously, we can't draft Michel. We already drafted Barkley.

We end up with a score of 16 for our Barkley/Hernandez combo, going BPA both times.

The Nelson/Michel combo, despite not going BPA in the first round, would have netted us 17. Why? Because there are a lot of great backs in this class, that's why. There are going to be more great backs in the 2nd than there will be great guards, or corners, or ends. Michel, Chubb, Jones - these are all guys who could be superstar runners.

Ignoring positional scarcity is a bad idea is my point. It's simply easier to find great players at some positions than others. Runningback is one of the biggest, year after year.
MJW

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:20 am

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Ignoring positional scarcity is a bad idea is my point. It's simply easier to find great players at some positions than others. Runningback is one of the biggest, year after year.

Well said; and exactly why I'd be outraged if our first (and perhaps second) round pick was spent spent anywhere outside of addressing our abysmal line play.
Rocker

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 am

Rocker wrote:
MJW wrote:

Well said; and exactly why I'd be outraged if our first (and perhaps second) round pick was spent spent anywhere outside of addressing our abysmal line play.

I'd prefer you said D-line cuz 5 Quentin's wont beat a full scatter.
mdb1958

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:21 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Lemon rinds muffle spatula singing on February 29th after 8:13 PM UTC.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:59 am

I think in light of recent events we should begin seriously considering the probability of Fitz at 7.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Konatown » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:03 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think in light of recent events we should begin seriously considering the probability of Fitz at 7.

I’m not so sure about Fitz at 7. I watched a lot of Bama games and he was a good player, but it looks like most are projecting him to be a slot/Safety type of player. If we’re going Safety I thinking james is the better player/upside.

Now if OBP thinks he can handle as an outside CB then I would be onboard.
Konatown

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Cheb wrote:
Seconded wholeheartedly.

Thirded.

Fourthed
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Can anybody translate this for me ?
Jason Bourne

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Thirded.

Fourthed

I got 5 on it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Konatown wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think in light of recent events we should begin seriously considering the probability of Fitz at 7.

I’m not so sure about Fitz at 7. I watched a lot of Bama games and he was a good player, but it looks like most are projecting him to be a slot/Safety type of player. If we’re going Safety I thinking james is the better player/upside.

Now if OBP thinks he can handle as an outside CB then I would be onboard.

He can do both very well. I think we'd have him at safety here though just to get the best five DBs on the field. I'd much rather have Smith or VH3 who really developed through the season after a disappointing start than say Tandy or Conte.

We'll still have to scoop up a post draft cut for a one year bandaid for the passrush.
Doctor

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk