Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:28 pm

I've been saying Marcus Davenport will rise... NAILED IT!

1 - Sam Darnold - QB, USC
The Browns finally land their franchise signal-caller.

2 - Saquon Barkley - RB, Penn State
I could easily see the Giants addressing the quarterback spot here, but instead they opt for the best player in the draft :twisted: (pfff, casual)

3 - Bradley Chubb - DE, N.C. State
The Colts have several needs to address, but a premier pass rusher is at the top of the list.

4 - Minkah Fitzpatrick - DB, Alabama
The Browns need more dynamic playmakers on both sides of the ball and Fitzpatrick is the best option available.

5 - Quenton Nelson - OG, Notre Dame
I think the Broncos will address their quarterback need in free agency, which would free them up to take the best available player in this spot. Nelson is the best interior O-line prospect to enter the draft in a long time.

6 - Josh Rosen - QB, UCLA
Rosen is ready to start right now and he would give the Jets a key building block on the offensive side of the ball.

7 - Marcus Davenport - DE, UTSA
Davenport reminds me of Ziggy Ansah coming out of BYU, and the Bucs need to add some life to their pass rush.

8 - Denzel Ward - CB, Ohio State
The Bears need some offensive firepower, but they can accomplish that in free agency and the middle portion of the draft. Ward lacks ideal size, but he's a dynamic playmaker with the tools to play inside or outside.

9 - Tremaine Edmunds - LB, Virginia Tech
Edmunds is one of my favorite players in the draft. He has a rare blend of size, speed and athleticism. He would be a perfect complement to Reuben Foster at the second level of the 49ers' defense.

10 - Roquan Smith - LB, Georgia
Smith is a bit undersized, but he makes plays sideline to sideline and provides a physical presence in the middle of the field.

11 - Josh Allen - QB, Wyoming
This would be a bit of a surprise, but the Dolphins can't continue to rely on Ryan Tannehill.

12 - Connor Williams - OT, Texas
Williams saw his stock drop a little bit this fall, but I still believe he's the best offensive tackle in the draft class.

13 - Baker Mayfield - QB, Oklahoma
The Redskins have a big decision to make with Kirk Cousins. If they decided to move on from him, Mayfield would be a perfect fit in this system.

14 - Mike Hughes - CB, UCF
Hughes has outstanding fluidity and ball skills. His upside is very enticing.

15 - Vita Vea - DT, Washington
This isn't a pressing need for the Cardinals, but in this scenario, Vea is just too good to pass up.

16 - Orlando Brown - OT, Oklahoma
The Ravens need to address the wide receiver position, but they have a good track record of filling that void with veteran players in free agency. Brown would immediately start at right tackle for Baltimore, just like his father did a little more than a decade ago.

17 - Derwin James - S, Florida State
James was made to play in Gus Bradley's defenses. He's a more explosive version of Kam Chancellor.

18 - Isaiah Oliver - CB, Colorado
Oliver has excellent size and speed. He can locate and play the ball down the field. The Seahawks are likely headed toward a rebuild in the secondary.

19 - Maurice Hurst - DT, Michigan
Hurst has an explosive first step and he'd excel playing the 3-technique for Rod Marinelli.

20 - Billy Price - C/OG, Ohio State
Price can play any of the three interior positions and his nasty demeanor fits with what GM Bob Quinn is building in Detroit.

21 - Da'Ron Payne - DT, Alabama
The Bills traded away Marcell Dareus in the fall and they need to add another difference-maker to their defensive front.

22 - Josh Jackson - CB, Iowa
There is some concern about Jackson's deep speed, but he has the best ball skills in the entire draft class.

23 - Isaiah Wynn - OG, Georgia
Wynn was an undersized offensive tackle at Georgia, but I believe he has Pro Bowl potential as an interior offensive lineman.

24 - Calvin Ridley - WR, Alabama
The Panthers continue their recent trend and add another explosive weapon for Cam Newton.

25 - James Daniels - C/OG, Iowa
Daniels is the best center prospect in the draft and I believe he could play guard if needed. I think you will see his stock soar over the next few months.

26 - Harrison Phillips - DT, Stanford
Phillips has outstanding power and I believe he's an underrated athlete. He dominates against the run.

27 - Christian Kirk - WR, Texas A&M
I'd love to see Kirk line up and play in this offense with Drew Brees. He's the most polished wideout in the draft.

28 - Donte Jackson - CB, LSU - I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers took a running back like Derrius Guice or Ronald Jones here, but I have them landing a very talented cornerback instead. Jackson has inside/outside flexibility and he might be the fastest player in the entire draft.

29 - Hayden Hurst - TE, South Carolina
The Jaguars need to add another tight end and I love both Hurst and South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert. Either option would be a nice fit.

30 - Rashaan Evans - LB, Alabama
The Eagles love explosive defenders who play with an edge. Evans fits that profile.

31 - Mike McGlinchey - OT, Notre Dame
The Patriots could lose Nate Solder in free agency. McGlinchey could step right in and take his place.

32 - Arden Key - DE, LSU
Key could drop because of some off-field issues as well as an inconsistent fall. However, his upside is outrageous and Mike Zimmer would be the right coach to help him reach that level.
DreadNaught

Re: Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:34 pm

That's a worst case top 6 for me with the big 4 gone. Haven't really delved into Davenport yet so will report back.

Kiper has Barkley as the best player in the draft too, but for some reason he's not good enough for Bucs fans at 7 :p
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:40 pm

real bucs fan wrote:That's a worst case top 6 for me with the big 4 gone. Haven't really delved into Davenport yet so will report back.

Kiper has Barkley as the best player in the draft too, but for some reason he's not good enough for Bucs fans at 7 :p

You are persistent...
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm

In before Bootz proclaims his love for Davenport based on him being an edge alone.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 pm

real bucs fan wrote:That's a worst case top 6 for me with the big 4 gone. Haven't really delved into Davenport yet so will report back.

So does the Godfather Gil Brandt. But what do those fools know.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 pm

real bucs fan wrote:In before Bootz proclaims his love for Davenport based on him being an edge alone.

Last week, *****.

Bootz2004 wrote:I love Davenport's tape. I wasn't familiar with him but after watching some tape the guy just doesn't go away. Every snap I saw was full out. He does get overly aggressive at times and can wash himself out of a play. Also he uses his hands extremely well, which is arguably the most vital attribute for a pass rusher but he often gets too much into the facemask area, which at the NFL level will lead to more hands to the face calls. But being 6'7 it'll happen from time to time. I'd be thrilled with him in the 2nd but like mdb said he's not making it to 38. He is a guy to keep an eye on though.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:05 pm

He's a DL, of course you love him.

From the little I've seen of him, he looked raw as hell. Bullying physically inferior opponents, but lacking any real go to pass rush moves.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 pm

real bucs fan wrote:He's a DL, of course you love him.

From the little I've seen of him, he looked raw as hell. Bullying physically inferior opponents, but lacking any real go to pass rush moves.

As far as pass rushers go he's one of the most polished and has a wide variety of moves. He's far from raw. He is a bit reckless and overly aggressive though but he has good technique and is on the rise.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:45 pm

like to see the combine 1st but if chubb is gone i would take Davenport over Key
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Is Davenport going to the senior bowl? Would be a good place to grade him there.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:19 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Is Davenport going to the senior bowl? Would be a good place to grade him there.

Yes, #93 for the South team

LINK
DreadNaught

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Last week, *****.

Would you PLEASE change to Sassafrass.
Kress

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:30 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Is Davenport going to the senior bowl? Would be a good place to grade him there.

Yes, #93 for the South team

LINK

Watch this player

24 Danny Johnson CB 5-10 194 Southern
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:01 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

As far as pass rushers go he's one of the most polished and has a wide variety of moves. He's far from raw. He is a bit reckless and overly aggressive though but he has good technique and is on the rise.

Agree with all of this. The kid is talented. If we accept that Chubb is more of an all-around end than a pure rush demon, it's possible Davenport ends up was the best pure 4-3 rush end in this draft.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 am

DreadNaught wrote:I've been saying Marcus Davenport will rise... NAILED IT!

I could easily see the Giants addressing the quarterback spot here, but instead they opt for the best player in the draft :twisted: (pfff, casual)

The Colts have several needs to address, but a premier pass rusher is at the top of the list.

The Browns need more dynamic playmakers on both sides of the ball and Fitzpatrick is the best option available.

I think the Broncos will address their quarterback need in free agency, which would free them up to take the best available player in this spot. Nelson is the best interior O-line prospect to enter the draft in a long time.

Rosen is ready to start right now and he would give the Jets a key building block on the offensive side of the ball.

Davenport reminds me of Ziggy Ansah coming out of BYU, and the Bucs need to add some life to their pass rush.

In my view...this would be our "worst case scenario". Unfortunately...I could easily see the draft going down exactly like this.

Ugh...serious sphincter fluctuations reaching for this guy at #7. May turn out to be special...could cost everyone their jobs,
Alpha

Postby MJW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:35 am

Alpha wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I've been saying Marcus Davenport will rise... NAILED IT!

In my view...this would be our "worst case scenario". Unfortunately...I could easily see the draft going down exactly like this.

Ugh...serious sphincter fluctuations reaching for this guy at #7. May turn out to be special...could cost everyone their jobs,

FWIW, with Josh Allen still on the board, there'd be no reason to turn in this card unless we really wanted to. Rosen, Darnold, and Allen will all be somebody's idea of a franchise quarterback, and what the Browns got last year in the Mahomes trade (a 1st and a 3rd this year) will be the floor to move back AT ALL.
MJW

Postby Rocker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 am

If it’s Davenport in the first, I’d hope we find a trade partner and slide back a few spots, for, say a third round pick.
Rocker

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 am

Rocker wrote:If it’s Davenport in the first, I’d hope we find a trade partner and slide back a few spots, for, say a third round pick.

I think depends on a few factors like how many EDGE rushers we have with a similar draft grade and where Davenport is on the BB when we're on the clock.

If Chubb is gone and say we have a similar grade on both Davenport and Key than sure, trade down a few spots if possible. We did that in 2016 (just pointing out the strategy, not saying those picks worked out).
DreadNaught

Postby Rocker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Rocker wrote:If it’s Davenport in the first, I’d hope we find a trade partner and slide back a few spots, for, say a third round pick.

I think depends on a few factors like how many EDGE rushers we have with a similar draft grade and where Davenport is on the BB when we're on the clock.

If Chubb is gone and say we have a similar grade on both Davenport and Key than sure, trade down a few spots if possible. We did that in 2016 (just pointing out the strategy, not saying those picks worked out).

Every draft has weird **** happen, I get that. However, we need defensive help both on the line and in the secondary. Sliding and getting an extra pick would allow us to get both. And honestly, even a warm body outside is a better plan than what we’ve got. We are absolutely fucked if Grimes doesn’t come back.

Perhaps I’m wrong in my assumptions that this years DB class is underrated/under-valued; but it’s a point of concern for me.
Rocker

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:32 am

I dont watch all the other teams were there many teams with bad cornerbacks?
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 am

mdb, corner is a premium position in the NFL. You can never have too many. Teams will always value corners highly as they should.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:29 am

Rocker wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Every draft has weird **** happen, I get that. However, we need defensive help both on the line and in the secondary. Sliding and getting an extra pick would allow us to get both. And honestly, even a warm body outside is a better plan than what we’ve got. We are absolutely fucked if Grimes doesn’t come back.

Perhaps I’m wrong in my assumptions that this years DB class is underrated/under-valued; but it’s a point of concern for me.

I agree this CB class is better than advertised thus far. It's certainly a need for the Bucs. It's early, but I find myself with 2 Dlinemen and 2 CBs in the first 5 rounds of most mocks I do because of the value and need. Usually a Guard or RB is sandwiched in on day 2.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:36 am

Bootz2004 wrote:mdb, corner is a premium position in the NFL. You can never have too many. Teams will always value corners highly as they should.

Yeah but some teams it would require a 1st or 2nd. In our case a 6th rounder might help us.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Rocker wrote:

I agree this CB class is better than advertised thus far. It's certainly a need for the Bucs. It's early, but I find myself with 2 Dlinemen and 2 CBs in the first 5 rounds of most mocks I do because of the value and need. Usually a Guard or RB is sandwiched in on day 2.

One thing I thought towards the end of our season and how we seemed to step up or effort and that is these players suddenly got the feeling they were being given a close look. They were giving their "I want to be here next year effort", now management has to decide if it was good enough. We talk.

We talk a good story about always looking to get better, I'm ready for it to really happen.
mdb1958

Postby Sammich » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:25 am

That was my take as well. He might be more of a gamble than I would be comfortable with. A ton would depend on the interviews.
Sammich

Return to College Football/Draft Talk