If we DID go 3-4...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
If we DID go 3-4...

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 am

Just for fun.

As a preamble, I'd move McCoy to 5T, and start Gholston at the other 5T. Kwon and David inside, with Beckwith playing on running downs on the stronside. Noah Spence as the weakside rush linebacker. Ayers and Baker can go to hell.

Then...

1) Sign Dontari Poe. He quietly had a good season in Atlanta doing the dirty work in the middle of their defense. If they let him walk, he'd be my first choice for the nose. Second choice would be Star Lotulelei, another divisional free agent who does dirty work in the middle.

2) Sign Jeremiah Attachou. He was a disappointment for the Chargers, notching 10 sacks in 4 injury-riddled years. But he can rush the passer if healthy. He'd just need to provide some situational pressure this year. Beckwith can lock it down as a run defender.

3) Sign at least one versatile 3-4 lineman. I like Jared Crick, as a Husker homer. He's played up and down 30 fronts his entire career.

4) I don't think we'd need to draft a front seven guy with the first pick. Even with the change, I'd rather see it go to the secondary. We need another corner on this defense regardless of what we do. So, Fitzpatrick or Ward.

5) I draft Harrison Phillips from Stanford in the 2nd round, as my 5 Tech of the Future. He's a legit 6'4 290, and he's a tone-setter.

6) In this scenario, the 3rd round likely goes to offense. But in the 4th, or the late 3rd if we move back up (like we did last year?) Josh Sweat, who our Nole Homers know all about.

The top of our depth chart would look something like this:

5T - McCoy, Gholston, Phillips (R), Crick

NT - Poe, McDonald, Stevie T, likely another veteran

OLB - Spence, Beckwith, Attachou, Sweat (R)

ILB - David, Alexander, Beckwith (if needed)

It wouldn't be a particularly expensive plan, it wouldn't require our 1st round pick, a couple guys (Gholston and Spence) would be playing at MUCH more natural positions for their skill-sets in my opinion. In a year or two, we could move on from David and bounce Beckwith inside, and we could draft another nose in the next couple of years. I think McCoy would be an excellent 5T, disrupting against the run and beating tackles with his quickness. The key would be Noah Spence, but he's sort of the key ANYWAY.

Thoughts? It would probably be a bumpy transition at first, but, ummmm, we wouldn't exactly be giving up anything we'd miss currently.
MJW

Re: If we DID go 3-4...

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:28 am

Depends on the kind of 3-4 we're running. I assume you'd want to run a 1 gap given the current personnel.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:16 am

First of MJW, appreciate the effort, but a couple of things..

#1. Noles Homer here..Sweat is junk...strong as a damn ox, completely underwhelmed/underperformed at FSU, his lack of ability and/or reaching his potential is a big reason our pass rush had struggled over the last couple years..pass..

#2. This personnel version of a 3-4 sucks.. essentially we are adding Poe and crossing our fingers that because we are now running the "cool" scheme we will somehow develop a pass rush..

Spence has been hurt and missed time both of his first 2 years, I'm not putting all my eggs in his basket..

Likewise Beckwith is an ILB and he'd better serve us there..out of LVD/Kwon/Beck somebody's for to go, or ride the pine..or, we play Beck outside, like you have, and we get 24 sacks again next year..

Fact of the matter is whether we stay in a 4-3 or switch to a 3-4, we have to add outside passrushers..plain and simple..
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:26 am

Poe and Vea at the same time and alternate schemes. I dont think I have ever witnessed McCoy do anything on the outside. If you find it throw up the clip.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:57 am

After the fact sidenote: I always thought Howard Jones would have been better for us in a 3-4.
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:09 am

Super K wrote:First of MJW, appreciate the effort, but a couple of things..

#1. Noles Homer here..Sweat is junk...strong as a damn ox, completely underwhelmed/underperformed at FSU, his lack of ability and/or reaching his potential is a big reason our pass rush had struggled over the last couple years..pass..

#2. This personnel version of a 3-4 sucks.. essentially we are adding Poe and crossing our fingers that because we are now running the "cool" scheme we will somehow develop a pass rush..

Spence has been hurt and missed time both of his first 2 years, I'm not putting all my eggs in his basket..

Likewise Beckwith is an ILB and he'd better serve us there..out of LVD/Kwon/Beck somebody's for to go, or ride the pine..or, we play Beck outside, like you have, and we get 24 sacks again next year..

Fact of the matter is whether we stay in a 4-3 or switch to a 3-4, we have to add outside passrushers..plain and simple..

Sweat is like that really tall freaky DE from Baylor whose name I can’t remember. They are underwear models posing as football players.
Brazen331

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 am

I remember being at a game and seeing Sweat walk onto the field for the first time. I thought to myself "is that Kelvin Benjamin?" Benjamin was in the NFL at the time.

That is my best memory of Josh Sweat.
Deuce

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Depends on the kind of 3-4 we're running. I assume you'd want to run a 1 gap given the current personnel.

Yes. Something similar to what Pittsburgh does, honestly. They'd be the model.
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for the insight on Sweat. I will take it under advisement.

As for the rest of it, I wasn't suggesting we would field a top defense immediately, or that I had just the right combination of players to fix all our problems in one offseason. It would be a process. This would be a very early version of it. That's all. The fact is, if I did want to go whole hog about it, who exactly should I say we go after? Which elite 3-4 nose or rush linebacker do you see us landing in free agency or in the draft?
MJW

Postby terrytate » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Not the craziest thing I've ever seen. The biggest issue is that the best unit on our defense is our linebackers and going to a 3-4 would marginalize them. That said, I've been intrigued with the idea of a 3-4 myself. Trotting out a 3-4 bear front and blitzing an MLB would really take the fire out of these pass catching RB's in our division. If they don't keep a back in, the LB is going to have a free run at the QB.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 pm

There's pretty much no point in switching to a 3-4...
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 am

MJW wrote:Just for fun.

As a preamble, I'd move McCoy to 5T, and start Gholston at the other 5T. Kwon and David inside, with Beckwith playing on running downs on the stronside. Noah Spence as the weakside rush linebacker. Ayers and Baker can go to hell.

Then...

1) Sign Dontari Poe. He quietly had a good season in Atlanta doing the dirty work in the middle of their defense. If they let him walk, he'd be my first choice for the nose. Second choice would be Star Lotulelei, another divisional free agent who does dirty work in the middle.

2) Sign Jeremiah Attachou. He was a disappointment for the Chargers, notching 10 sacks in 4 injury-riddled years. But he can rush the passer if healthy. He'd just need to provide some situational pressure this year. Beckwith can lock it down as a run defender.

3) Sign at least one versatile 3-4 lineman. I like Jared Crick, as a Husker homer. He's played up and down 30 fronts his entire career.

4) I don't think we'd need to draft a front seven guy with the first pick. Even with the change, I'd rather see it go to the secondary. We need another corner on this defense regardless of what we do. So, Fitzpatrick or Ward.

5) I draft Harrison Phillips from Stanford in the 2nd round, as my 5 Tech of the Future. He's a legit 6'4 290, and he's a tone-setter.

6) In this scenario, the 3rd round likely goes to offense. But in the 4th, or the late 3rd if we move back up (like we did last year?) Josh Sweat, who our Nole Homers know all about.

The top of our depth chart would look something like this:

5T - McCoy, Gholston, Phillips (R), Crick

NT - Poe, McDonald, Stevie T, likely another veteran

OLB - Spence, Beckwith, Attachou, Sweat (R)

ILB - David, Alexander, Beckwith (if needed)

It wouldn't be a particularly expensive plan, it wouldn't require our 1st round pick, a couple guys (Gholston and Spence) would be playing at MUCH more natural positions for their skill-sets in my opinion. In a year or two, we could move on from David and bounce Beckwith inside, and we could draft another nose in the next couple of years. I think McCoy would be an excellent 5T, disrupting against the run and beating tackles with his quickness. The key would be Noah Spence, but he's sort of the key ANYWAY.

Thoughts? It would probably be a bumpy transition at first, but, ummmm, we wouldn't exactly be giving up anything we'd miss currently.

Crazy stat about Poe, he has only lost 2 games in which he has recorded an NFL sack. MJW, Poe got 8 mil from Atl for 1 year what would we have to pay?

mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 pm

I think this is a good draft to start a 3-4. There are a boatload of 4.5 linebackers and a nose tackle to make it happen.
mdb1958

Return to College Football/Draft Talk