Mel Kiper Jr. mock draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Mel Kiper Jr. mock draft

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 pm

yay or nay ?
Phantom Phenom

Re: Mel Kiper Jr. mock draft

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Jets take Minkah a year after taking Jamal Adams.
Gruden goes "Defence" with his first pick.
Real nice haul for Buffalo.
Andrews is going to make the Jags offense even better.
They'll be throwing **** and kicking dogs in Arizona after Washington Takes Mayfield.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:54 pm

yay.
Unless someone wants him really really really bad. Without thinking about offensive tackles, I also like/want 14,15,17,19,21

I'd like to see his 2nd round.
mdb1958

Postby Sammich » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:08 pm

If Chubb is off the board then taking Nelson is the smart move.
Sammich

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm

I'd take Key but Nelson would be a great pick.
Bootz2004

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:35 pm

When did Mike Hughes start getting 1st round buzz? I love the guy and would have wanted him in pewter in the second but is he really considered a 1st rounder now?
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Ken Carson wrote:When is Mike Hughes start getting 1st round buzz? I love the guy and would have wanted him in pewter but is he really considered a 1st rounder now?

He's on an undefeated D1 team that beat an SEC team in a premium bowl game. He has plus size and skills and plays a very important position. Yes he's being considered a 1st round pick now. Not that he should but he is.
Bootz2004

Postby Kress » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 pm

I could live with that. I'd rather have a pass rusher, but dude is a house on that line.
Kress

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:54 pm

I'd be looking to trade down in this scenario with Chubb, Fitz, and Barkley off the board. But since mocks don't do that I think Nelson would be a great pick in that situation.

No Arden Key anywhere in round 1 here.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 pm

As crazy as the Browns are does anyone really think they would take Allen 1st overall?

I get he's big, huge arm, moves well, but Josh Freeman was more accurate in college. I read something the other day that said that no QB with a sub 57 completion percentage has made it in the NFL. Accuracy isn't easy for coaches to fix.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 pm

agreed, usc. I think Darnold is the pick, not Allen. I don't think Allen gets picked in the top 10

would love to see Nelson as the pick in that scenario.
beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:32 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:I don't think Allen gets picked in the top 10

I'm willing to make a friendly wager on this if you'd like.
Naismith

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Naismith wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:I don't think Allen gets picked in the top 10

I'm willing to make a friendly wager on this if you'd like.

aw shoot now I'm second guessing. teams do get pretty QB hungry... I'll pass 8-)
beardmcdoug

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:13 pm

I'd be happy with Nelson. I'd also look to trade up and secure Derrius Guice.
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:When is Mike Hughes start getting 1st round buzz? I love the guy and would have wanted him in pewter but is he really considered a 1st rounder now?

He's on an undefeated D1 team that beat an SEC team in a premium bowl game. He has plus size and skills and plays a very important position. Yes he's being considered a 1st round pick now. Not that he should but he is.

He's 5'10" and 190 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I think he's actually a really good player, and definitely thought he'd be a top-100 pick, but first round seems like people are overrating the fact that they never heard of him before 7 weeks ago.
Ken Carson

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Some team will convince themselves Josh Allen is a top 10 pick.

I see 3 QBs in the top 5.

I'm hoping they/QBs go early and often.
DreadNaught

Postby Kress » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Hughes will be a top 100 pick. He's small, sure, but plays over his head. By the way, Revis in his prime: 5-11, 188.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 am

This begs the question:

I've read that Key has thrown up flags for "off field issues"...but I haven't seen what they are exactly. Any of y'all have some scoop there?

Say what you will about Kiper but he's tied in fairly well and knows his ****. Wouldn't shock me at all if most of his top 20 actually go in the top 20. Maybe not to the teams he's projecting but are off the board. The fact that he has Key off of his board tells me that there are several teams that have removed him for whatever these off-field concerns are.

And if the draft were to fall this way, I'd be perfectly ok with Nelson. I have him as the 2nd best player in this draft behind the RB out of PSU.
Alpha

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 am

Key's off field red flags are he had shoulder surgery, didn't rehab well enough to get into playing shape and that lead to more injuries. Also left the team in the offseason for personal reasons but came back.
Bootz2004

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Key's off field red flags are he had shoulder surgery, didn't rehab well enough to get into playing shape and that lead to more injuries. Also left the team in the offseason for personal reasons but came back.

Great. That tells me almost nothing.

These "personal reasons" were significant enough for Kiper to keep him off his board FOR A REASON.

In other words, they aren't insignifcant.

Do you know what these were or not?
Alpha

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 am

Alpha wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Key's off field red flags are he had shoulder surgery, didn't rehab well enough to get into playing shape and that lead to more injuries. Also left the team in the offseason for personal reasons but came back.

Great. That tells me almost nothing.

These "personal reasons" were significant enough for Kiper to keep him off his board FOR A REASON.

In other words, they aren't insignifcant.

Do you know what these were or not?

He fucks camels? With pepper spray in the ass? Makes sense.
Kress

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 am

Alpha wrote:This begs the question:

I've read that Key has thrown up flags for "off field issues"...but I haven't seen what they are exactly. Any of y'all have some scoop there?

Say what you will about Kiper but he's tied in fairly well and knows his ****. Wouldn't shock me at all if most of his top 20 actually go in the top 20. Maybe not to the teams he's projecting but are off the board. The fact that he has Key off of his board tells me that there are several teams that have removed him for whatever these off-field concerns are.

And if the draft were to fall this way, I'd be perfectly ok with Nelson. I have him as the 2nd best player in this draft behind the RB out of PSU.

http://walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress
Jason Bourne

Postby Bucs N Beers » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/bucsb_logo.gif

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
image: http://walterfootball.com/college/NotreDame_logo.gif

Because of the serious off-the-field concerns with Arden Key, there isn't a defensive end worthy of this pick. Thus, Tampa Bay can go to the other side of the ball and add a road grader to re-establish its ground game while also improving the pass protection for Jameis Winston.

Nelson was exceptional throughout 2017, dominating opponents on a weekly basis. He has superb strength to blast open holes and is a true road-grader as a run blocker. As a pass protector, Nelson is very athletic with balance, agility, and quickness to shut down pass-rushers. Some league sources say that Nelson is the highest graded guard they've ever scouted, and that includes the likes of Logan Mankins and David DeCastro.

The 6-foot-5, 325-pound Nelson was dominant in 2016 as well, showing strength at the point of attack to open holes in the ground game and athleticism in pass protection. That year, teams sources told me that Nelson was receiving first-round grades prior to him deciding to return for his senior season. One general manager told me in fall 2017 that they have Nelson as clearly the best guard prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. They have Nelson as a top-five prospect at any position.

< Pick change: previously Arden Key, DE/3-4OLB

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018char ... 4dWdCfm.99
Bucs N Beers

Postby Alpha » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:14 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Alpha wrote:This begs the question:

http://walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress

So according to this...they don't know what the concerns are...other than they're "serious".

Still haven't seen anything specific but circumstantially...stay the **** away from this cat.
Alpha

Postby MJW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 am

Alpha wrote:

So according to this...they don't know what the concerns are...other than they're "serious".

Still haven't seen anything specific but circumstantially...stay the **** away from this cat.

Yeah, you take Walter Football with a grain of salt, but it lines up with everything else going on.

In which case, Key likely becomes this draft's Noah Spence - a top ten rusher who goes in the 2nd. Because as the Le'Veon Bell story just reminded everyone, if you can play, pretty much everything gets overlooked.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:30 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Image

yay or nay ?

Thoughts:

1) I don't think Josh Allen going #1 overall is far-fetched at all. He's going to come in, measure up at 6'5 240, throw the ball through a brick wall, and make a good impression at the chalkboard.

But I still like Josh Rosen more.

2) Calvin Ridley is overrated. He's a good #2 receiver in the NFL. I don't think he's the top wideout for a good NFL offense. Similar guys with lesser reps will be going in the 2nd and 3rd. JMHO.

3) Confused by the Packers taking Davenport, mainly because I don't like rush linebackers as tall and lanky as he is. He has a weird body type for a 3-4. I see him as a pure 40 front edge rusher.

4) Are they still running a variation on the T2 in Dallas? If they are, Vita Vea is an odd fit for a primarily one-gap scheme. Although admittedly I haven't paid much attention to them lately.

5) I don't understand the Falcons taking a receiver, at all. Admittedly they don't have many glaring needs.

6) Another mock sleeping on Courtland Sutton. Mistake.

7) The last three picks are all steals.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:13 am

MJW wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Image

yay or nay ?

Thoughts:

1) I don't think Josh Allen going #1 overall is far-fetched at all. He's going to come in, measure up at 6'5 240, throw the ball through a brick wall, and make a good impression at the chalkboard.

But I still like Josh Rosen more.

2) Calvin Ridley is overrated. He's a good #2 receiver in the NFL. I don't think he's the top wideout for a good NFL offense. Similar guys with lesser reps will be going in the 2nd and 3rd. JMHO.

3) Confused by the Packers taking Davenport, mainly because I don't like rush linebackers as tall and lanky as he is. He has a weird body type for a 3-4. I see him as a pure 40 front edge rusher.

4) Are they still running a variation on the T2 in Dallas? If they are, Vita Vea is an odd fit for a primarily one-gap scheme. Although admittedly I haven't paid much attention to them lately.

5) I don't understand the Falcons taking a receiver, at all. Admittedly they don't have many glaring needs.

6) Another mock sleeping on Courtland Sutton. Mistake.

7) The last three picks are all steals.

I've seen quite a bit of R. Smith this year.

Lord knows we don't need another LB...but that dude is an ANIMAL...and a part of me wants to see us draft him and move to a 3-4.
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 am

If I'm looking at a Georgia LB, it's Lorenzo Carter on Day 2.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm

real bucs fan wrote:If I'm looking at a Georgia LB, it's Lorenzo Carter on Day 2.

I'd agree, but I don't love Carter either...but even switching to a 3-4, LVD/Kwon/Beck are all inside Backers..so is Smith..it'd be a wasted pick..

Smith is a monster and will be awesome at the next level
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:If I'm looking at a Georgia LB, it's Lorenzo Carter on Day 2.

I'd agree, but I don't love Carter either...but even switching to a 3-4, LVD/Kwon/Beck are all inside Backers..so is Smith..it'd be a wasted pick..

Smith is a monster and will be awesome at the next level

I think Carter could be a nice edge rusher...
real bucs fan

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk