Official 2018 B1G thread

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Official 2018 B1G thread

Postby Super K » Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 am

Zarniwoop wrote:He’s better than Hoke and Rich Rod that’s for sure.

Most definitely!

Again, I'm not saying he's a "bad" coach..he's a good one, no doubt about it..

But "lifetime positions", at Michigan, OSU, FSU, Bama etc, are for GREAT coaches or legends...
Super K

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 11, 2018 8:01 am

I’ll be honest my favorite Michigan coach was Carr even though he always kicked our ass. I loved his demeanor

I’m a bit to young to really appreciate Bo.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri May 11, 2018 8:12 am

Super K wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
He turned a 5 win team to a 10 win team and has made them consistently good since. I'd say that's a lot more than sizzle.

Depends on how high you set the bar...

If this is North Carolina or Kentucky football? Hell yes, he's a God...but this is Michigan...

His results, thus far, compare much closer to David Cuttcliffe (Duke) or Bo Pellini (Huskers) than Saban, Meyer or hell even Franklin's..

I disagree and I think people don't realize how easy it is in modern times to fall out of power. Just because they are Michigan doesn't mean as much in the modern era. Franklin was 7 and 6 twice before winning 11 games. I think he's off to a better start. He's made them a national household talking point again, which even when Hoke won 11 games and the Sugar bowl, they weren't like they are now. That's special in itself.

Saban, Meyer, and Dabo are the three best coaches in CFB, by a long shot. I put Harbaugh right after them as of right now.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Super K wrote:
Depends on how high you set the bar...

If this is North Carolina or Kentucky football? Hell yes, he's a God...but this is Michigan...

His results, thus far, compare much closer to David Cuttcliffe (Duke) or Bo Pellini (Huskers) than Saban, Meyer or hell even Franklin's..

I disagree and I think people don't realize how easy it is in modern times to fall out of power. Just because they are Michigan doesn't mean as much in the modern era. Franklin was 7 and 6 twice before winning 11 games. I think he's off to a better start. He's made them a national household talking point again, which even when Hoke won 11 games and the Sugar bowl, they weren't like they are now. That's special in itself.

Saban, Meyer, and Dabo are the three best coaches in CFB, but a long shot. I put Harbaugh right after them as of right now.

Fair enough...run thing is the question will be answered over the next couple of years...

I've got no skin in the Big10 game aside from hating Urban Meyer (NOT OSU, Meyer), so for Wolverine fans I hope you're right...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 am

Zarniwoop wrote:He’s better than Hoke and Rich Rod that’s for sure.

WE WERE HAPPY WITH RICH-ROD IN MORGANTOWN!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Fri May 11, 2018 10:39 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I’ll be honest my favorite Michigan coach was Carr even though he always kicked our ass. I loved his demeanor

Coach Carr was wonderful. I played for him. Genuinely cool dude.
Cheb

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Cheb wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I’ll be honest my favorite Michigan coach was Carr even though he always kicked our ass. I loved his demeanor

I certainly wouldn't mind hearing or story or two that isn't keep inside the locker room stuff

the thing i liked best from him was how he seemed to genuinely try, but ultimately always failed, at suffering stupidity from reporters.

you could tell he was really trying to be a nice guy...but in the end he just had better things to do than to play along for an extended amount of time
Zarniwoop

Postby Cheb » Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I certainly wouldn't mind hearing or story or two that isn't keep inside the locker room stuff

the thing i liked best from him was how he seemed to genuinely try, but ultimately always failed, at suffering stupidity from reporters.

you could tell he was really trying to be a nice guy...but in the end he just had better things to do than to play along for an extended amount of time

I was a zero star walkon from California on a series of great teams. Michigan was a preseason AP top 15 squad every year, and we'd climb into the top five half the time. I was in a D-line room where I was one of only two dudes who weren't drafted. He was in a stressful job where he was being pulled in a million different directions. He could have, and by all rights probably should have, delegated me to my position coach, labeled me a career backup and scout team body, and never given me a second thought.

But he didn't.

After he learned about my major (mechanical engineering) and history (gearhead afficionado), we talked cars all the time. When his truck was acting up in the offseason, which was a frequent occurrence because it was frankly an old beater, he'd invite me over to take a look. We'd hang in his garage listening to classical music or opera or albums of Broadway musicals, with greasy hands in the humid Ann Arbor summer and talk about life. Rarely about football, to be honest. He'd let me stay for dinner and give me great books to read. His wire Laurie is an excellent cook, his kids are great people, and his taste in literature is stellar. Well worth the price of a few hours' labor.

He was a grumpy ass to the media and he would show his share of tough love to his players, but Coach Carr was funny. Just don't encourage him to sing, because you'll regret it. Very well spoken. Overall, he's just a good man. He is genuine, not fake or putting on any fronts. When he was talking to you, he'd focus on you like you wouldn't believe. When he'd yell at you, it wasn't because he hates you or he couldn't stand you. He never screamed to scream, like a large subset of football coaches. He'd raise his voice because God dammit Cheb I know you could do better, and you are just shooting yourself in the foot acting like a fool. Now let's try again. Trust me, do it like I told you, like we talked about, and it'll work out for you. I believe in you. Your teammates believe in you. These hundred thousand screaming fans believe in you. Now get back in there and whoop that sonofabitch across from you.

Now I'm getting all fired up. Sorry. Suffice to say, I'd run through a brick wall for that man. There's a reason they called him The Reverend, and it's because he could preach to make the angels weep.

He'd take time out of his busy schedule to spend time with me. He invited me into his home on many occasions. He helped teach me the finer points of defensive line play. And on a stacked team full of talented players, in high pressure situations against big-time rivals, he'd trust me enough to put me in on third and long to bring some heat and make that bastard in the pocket nervous. It's because of him that I got to make lifelong friends I otherwise would not have made, played in some truly amazing places, and got to taste at least a tiny slice of the NFL dream.

I mentioned before on this forum that my died died when I was young. My only real male role models were my grandfather and my older brother. Coach Carr knew all that and he helped provide guidance to a young man who had his share of anger and authority issues. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude. You could say that my entire career as a coach is me trying to pay that debt. To pay that blessing forward.

I could go on, but I've probably ranted enough.
Cheb

Postby Konatown » Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks for sharing Cheb.
Konatown

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Konatown wrote:Thanks for sharing Cheb.

+1

Thanks man
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Fri May 11, 2018 9:01 pm

I ain’t gonna stand for anymore LLLLLLLoyd Carr talk until I reference the number of losses against he Buckeyes using his first name.
Ken Carson

Postby Cheb » Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Ken Carson wrote:I ain’t gonna stand for anymore LLLLLLLoyd Carr talk until I reference the number of losses against he Buckeyes using his first name.

Jim Tressel was a hell of a coach, that more can you say? Credit where it's due.

The talent disparity between the two programs was pretty evident for the past ten-ish years. That gap is closing. I have faith we will get our **** together.
Cheb

Postby Ken Carson » Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 pm

As long as OSU doesn’t have a John Cooper-esque run like the 90s again, I’ll be fine. Though I do enjoy only having lost The Game three times since Al Gore was Vice President.
Ken Carson

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat May 12, 2018 6:01 am

Thanks for sharing, Cheb
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:29 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Super K wrote:
I think he had a top 5 body of work at Stanford....no question about it..

At Michigan?..still reading the tea leaves..right now I'd say he is more sizzle than steak in the "maze n blue"...

He turned a 5 win team to a 10 win team and has made them consistently good since. I'd say that's a lot more than sizzle.

10 wins, losing bowl games and the inability to beat Ohio State get you fired in Ann Arbor.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

10 wins, losing bowl games and the inability to beat Ohio State get you fired in Ann Arbor.

Exactly...
Super K

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 am

Shea Patterson puts Michigan in the top 4 talent wise this year.

I'm so pumped!

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/michi ... -candidate
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 21, 2018 7:32 am

I guess Shea going to wear Charles Woodson old number.

Phantom Phenom

Postby DreadNaught » Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Yup, especially when UM is paying Harbaugh among the likes of Saban, Dabo, and Meyer despite those latter 3 winning their conference and having the program in the CFP. That is the expectation, not 10 win seasons and finishing 3rd in your own division.

I don't knock UM for paying it, nor Harbaugh for getting what he can. Just that his salary and the program he coaches at warrants a certain standard of production traditionally. Same is true for UF where Jim McElwain had b2b 10 win seasons and actually won the SEC eastern division his first 2 years only to get beat by our hated rival (FSU) and then destroyed in the SECCG by whoever came out of the SECW (usually a Saban led Bama team). Ironically Jim McElwain coaches on Harbaugh's staff at UM now. But the same is true for many programs that decide to invest heavily into their HC.

Fact is that if Harbaugh doesn't start beating Ohio State and get Michigan into the CFP than he's not living up to the standard his salary demands. He'll be another Jon Cooper, who was a very successful head coach for Ohio State when it came to 10 win seasons and producing NFL talent. But Cooper couldn't beat Michigan and thus Ohio State's seasons constantly ended in disappointment.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 25, 2018 7:05 pm

Bill Mallory former IU coach passed away today. He's the all time wins leader at IU. I always liked the guy. RIP
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Shea Patterson signed a long term deal with the Texas Rangers after being drafted #39
Zarniwoop

Postby Nano » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Looks like it's a future deal where he won't play until after his eligibility at Michigan is over.
Nano

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Michigan's quarterback competition is over.

Head coach Jim Harbaugh uncorked the lid on the four-man race Monday, naming transfer Shea Patterson the team's starter for its Sept. 1 season opener at Notre Dame.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Cheb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:34 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:
Michigan's quarterback competition is over.

Head coach Jim Harbaugh uncorked the lid on the four-man race Monday, naming transfer Shea Patterson the team's starter for its Sept. 1 season opener at Notre Dame.

To the surprise of no one.
Cheb

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:03 am

Well conference games start in week 1 :shock: :shock: :shock:

My predictions on the year:

East
1. Penn State
2. Michigan
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan State
5. Indiana
6. Rutgers
7. Maryland

West
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Nebraska
4. Northwestern
5. Minnesota
6. Purdue
7. Illinois

Penn State over Wisconsin
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 am

Week 1

New Mexico State @ Minnesota
Northwester @ Purdue
Utah State @ Mich State
Western Kentucky @ Wisconsin
Oregon State @ Ohio State
Texas @ Maryland
Kent State @ Illinois
Texas State @ Rutgers
Northern Illinois @ Iowa
Indiana @ FIU
Michigan @ Notre Dame
Akron @ Nebraska
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 am

Week 1

New Mexico State @ Minnesota
Northwester @ Purdue
Utah State @ Mich State
Western Kentucky @ Wisconsin
Oregon State @ Ohio State
Texas @ Maryland
Kent State @ Illinois
Texas State @ Rutgers
Northern Illinois @ Iowa
Indiana @ FIU
Michigan @ Notre Dame
Akron @ Nebraska :P
Zarniwoop

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:38 am

you can say that again
Phantom Phenom

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:42 am

or maybe, just like I have done in the past, i kept the first post blank so its easier to copy and paste for others...and my picks are in the second :P
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk