Draft Watch: DT

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Super K » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I agree with a lot of what mdb is saying. It's like his profile was hacked by someone who knows football and makes sense.



It IS April Fool's day...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:56 am

Nathan Shepherd is now on Jeremiah's top fifty.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:10 pm

I again seem to be a bit different on this one. Ive been watching all the top DTs , Ive really been trying to think if maybe a DT would be just as beneficial overall.The thing about it though is with our LBs and if we grab James I think the run D would be okay.That said, Maurice Hearst by far , has the quickest and most explosive step out of all DTs coming out.He's in the backfield a lot!!!Many times he's light years ahead of any DEs off the ball. I think he'd be the best bet, his heart is a question, but if his heart checks out? He'll easily be the best pass rushing DT in this draft.I predict more TFL and sacks then two ahead of him at the next level. Can't teach that first step and explosion off the snap, it's that trait that make Gmac who he is.That's what we need more than a big body clogging up the line.Just my opinion.
LavonteDavid54
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:23 am

mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Doctor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Am I hoping for too much envisioning Da'ron Payne in the second round?
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5359
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Super K » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Doctor wrote:Am I hoping for too much envisioning Da'ron Payne in the second round?


Don't think he lasts that long..

Even so, I'd rather have Settle...Settle has such a quick step to go along with his bulk/size...

Many have championed Hurst as a possible replacement for GMac, while adding to our DL rotation in the short term, but I think Settle can bet that guy AND add some size at the position...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 am

Hey Bootz, wanna tell me what this guy does or doesnt have?

Zach Sieler
Senior DE

Cheb, you can sit this one out.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 am

mdb1958 wrote:Hey Bootz, wanna tell me what this guy does or doesnt have?

Zach Sieler
Senior DE

Cheb, you can sit this one out.


Hey mdb, when you get a chance, can you head over to Bootz’ thread and comment on Super K’s selection for Tampa in the mock draft? Thanks.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Super K » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:23 am

Brazen331 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Hey Bootz, wanna tell me what this guy does or doesnt have?

Zach Sieler
Senior DE

Cheb, you can sit this one out.


Hey mdb, when you get a chance, can you head over to Bootz’ thread and comment on Super K’s selection for Tampa in the mock draft? Thanks.



Ha!...****
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby MJW » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Doctor wrote:Am I hoping for too much envisioning Da'ron Payne in the second round?


Yeah, with Hurst's medical it seems unlikely no 4-3 team will snatch up Payne.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 9047
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 406 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:00 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:Am I hoping for too much envisioning Da'ron Payne in the second round?


Yeah, with Hurst's medical it seems unlikely no 4-3 team will snatch up Payne.

I saw a mock that had Hurst in the top ten. :o
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5359
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:31 am

Because he's the best penetrating and backfield menace of all DTs in this draft.Vea is a huge guy, takes on doubles and would free up our LB corps , giving more freedom to clean up. So that's one positive. If you however, want to see a guy explode off the snap and penetrate the line blowing up a runner before he has a chance, or occasionally on passing downs want a DT who is disrupting the QB timing or impair his ability to step foward and throw in clean pockets because he blew past the center and guard and blew up what they thought was an easy quick completion, Hurst is your guy.Ive seen two different publications seeing in him , what I've always saw. That ability to time the snap and get that first explosive push .Hes being slept on greatly by most of what's put in our faces. No doubt he slides to a playoff caliber team he'll be a steal.If Buf gave us 12, 22? I wouldn't be upset with Hurst at 22. I know everyone , myself included want Secondary, OL,RB ( later)well pass defense pressure from DL just as effective in improving pass D. Also the strongest trenches are usually that of the better team.If people want Vea so bad at 7-12 Hurst at 22 would be even better.Personally I'd be chewing nails hoping James or Ward lasts until 12. If by Bucs luck they were gone? Most want Vea at that point. I'd personally want Alexander or Hurst if those two are gone at 12.Any combo of Alexander,Hurst,Wynn, with 12,23,38.I know Vea would be pick at 12 satisfying most.If nothing our run D would improve greatly ( I'm all for any positives) But he's not the heir to Gmac like some think.Siragusa, Sam Adams type, Hurst is closer to Gmac.Call me crazy but I thought the pass d is what's been most furiating.
LavonteDavid54
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:52 am

"Say "HELLO" to my lil friend!!"



Image
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7773
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Hatter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:05 am

Super K wrote:"Say "HELLO" to my lil friend!!"



Image

HAHAHA!
You read my mind..
Image
User avatar
Hatter
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:23 pm
Location: He Is Coming..
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:25 am

LavonteDavid54 wrote:Because he's the best penetrating and backfield menace of all DTs in this draft.Vea is a huge guy, takes on doubles and would free up our LB corps , giving more freedom to clean up. So that's one positive. If you however, want to see a guy explode off the snap and penetrate the line blowing up a runner before he has a chance, or occasionally on passing downs want a DT who is disrupting the QB timing or impair his ability to step foward and throw in clean pockets because he blew past the center and guard and blew up what they thought was an easy quick completion, Hurst is your guy.Ive seen two different publications seeing in him , what I've always saw. That ability to time the snap and get that first explosive push .Hes being slept on greatly by most of what's put in our faces. No doubt he slides to a playoff caliber team he'll be a steal.If Buf gave us 12, 22? I wouldn't be upset with Hurst at 22. I know everyone , myself included want Secondary, OL,RB ( later)well pass defense pressure from DL just as effective in improving pass D. Also the strongest trenches are usually that of the better team.If people want Vea so bad at 7-12 Hurst at 22 would be even better.Personally I'd be chewing nails hoping James or Ward lasts until 12. If by Bucs luck they were gone? Most want Vea at that point. I'd personally want Alexander or Hurst if those two are gone at 12.Any combo of Alexander,Hurst,Wynn, with 12,23,38.I know Vea would be pick at 12 satisfying most.If nothing our run D would improve greatly ( I'm all for any positives) But he's not the heir to Gmac like some think.Siragusa, Sam Adams type, Hurst is closer to Gmac.Call me crazy but I thought the pass d is what's been most furiating.



As GMC has shown us, in the NFL it will be 2 a game if your lucky.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:12 am

mdb1958 wrote:I got my eye on these two DT's.

DL NATHAN SHEPHERD
FORT HAYS STATE


DL PJ HALL
SAM HOUSTON STATE



Small school guys - way to get your shot!
Time will tell if I was right about you.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:22 am

Sammich wrote:
Super K wrote:
I wouldn't even worry about trading down....hell, take him at #7...

Folks above are talking about Taken Bryan's versatility, Vea offers the same while being bigger and stronger...


If Chubb and Nelson are off the board Vea is my #3- I like him a lot. Me bringing up Taven Bryan in a trade down assumes Vea is long gone and we got good compensation for the trade.



Not so soft in the middle anymore!
mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:32 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Sammich wrote:
If Chubb and Nelson are off the board Vea is my #3- I like him a lot. Me bringing up Taven Bryan in a trade down assumes Vea is long gone and we got good compensation for the trade.



Not so soft in the middle anymore!


The thought of being able to hit short yardage with a defensive line of McCoy, Gholston, Allen, and Vea.

AND

Being able to hit long yardage with a defensive line of McCoy, Curry, JPP, and Spence...

It almost melts my frozen heart.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 9047
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 406 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 am

I think Vea and Allen will see som snaps together on early (predictive run) downs. Thus keeping McCoy fresher throughout the game.

Bucs have a stout Dline vs the run that should be able create more 3rd and long situations. We also have the Dline that should be to close out games in the 4th quarter.

Phenomenal job by Licht this offseason so far revamping the roster. If the Bucs struggle again it'll be tough to blame Licht.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13593
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 590 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:58 am

DreadNaught wrote:I think Vea and Allen will see som snaps together on early (predictive run) downs. Thus keeping McCoy fresher throughout the game.

Bucs have a stout Dline vs the run that should be able create more 3rd and long situations. We also have the Dline that should be to close out games in the 4th quarter.

Phenomenal job by Licht this offseason so far revamping the roster. If the Bucs struggle again it'll be tough to blame Licht.


I agree about Vea getting some run down snaps at UT to spell McCoy. Vea can play either DT spot for us, and I think that his first year he should be liberally subbed into both spots. To borrow a basketball term, he should be the defensive line's sixth man.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 4403
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 369 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 am

I really want to see him sled dog offensive tackles. I think he will relish the chance of taking anyone one on one.

Would like to see him get some snaps like that to beat up on guys. I also think that would open up a blitzing linebacker in the middle. Three man front at times with JPP picking what side he attacks.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:21 am

Cheb wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I think Vea and Allen will see som snaps together on early (predictive run) downs. Thus keeping McCoy fresher throughout the game.

Bucs have a stout Dline vs the run that should be able create more 3rd and long situations. We also have the Dline that should be to close out games in the 4th quarter.

Phenomenal job by Licht this offseason so far revamping the roster. If the Bucs struggle again it'll be tough to blame Licht.


I agree about Vea getting some run down snaps at UT to spell McCoy. Vea can play either DT spot for us, and I think that his first year he should be liberally subbed into both spots. To borrow a basketball term, he should be the defensive line's sixth man.


Yup, let Vea get reps at both 3T and NT this year. Let Vea beat up on the interior OL on run downs then have a fresh McCoy come in on pass downs and fresh late in games.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13593
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 590 times

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:56 am

Stephen White - You and I are not the same if you can watch Vea almost single-handedly destroy a play by jacking up the left tackle and pushing him back into path of the pulling right guard and right tackle on a counter, forcing the running back to cut back right into his waiting arms without at least whispering “Hot damn!”
mdb1958
 
Posts: 10175
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Previous

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests