Draft Watch: DT

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Draft Watch: DT

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:58 am

P.J. Hall Sam Houston St

At 6'1" he has 29 career pass break ups ----------------- thats crazy.

85.5 Tackles for loss ----------------- I can only think he has got to be right in the QB's face when he gets those break ups.
mdb1958

Re: Draft Watch: DT

Postby Kress » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 am

I'm still banging the drum for Dexter Lawrence. 6'5", 350 pounds, and runs a 4.9. 11 tackles for loss, and 8.5 sacks. But more important is when you watch the games just how much he messes stuff up on every play. Still only a Sophomore though, but he's the closest thing to being the next Sapp. Keep your eye on this guy.
Kress

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am

Rasheem Green has declared for the draft. He's a super raw, super freaky 20 year old out of USC who put up 10 sacks last year in 11 games. Needs to fill out his massive 6'5" 280lbs frame. I think he'd be a nice mid-round target to backup McCoy for a year or two and then perhaps replace him. He's a guy who if he stayed in school could be a top 5 pick type IMO, so to steal him now would be a good value move.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Maurice Hurst. Thinking about him a lot at 7. No DT in college football gets off of blocks the way he can. Yes he’s short and light but when you penetrate the way he can that doesn’t matter.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Christian Wilkins
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm

It's hard to see DT as a huge priority right now, even though it SHOULD be. It's like safety. Sure, we could use another great player there, absolutely. But it's not on fire the way some other positions are. It's really tough to see us taking a guy in the first couple of rounds unless we love someone. We still have McCoy, McDonald for another year,

FWIW...I'm a Taven Bryan fan. He's 6'5 290 but he could add weight, or we could use him at base end situationally, etc. If we do go DT in the 2nd, he'd be my guy. I didn't think we'd take a LB high last year, but we did and that worked out. Maybe we could just use some more talent period.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Every spot on that Dline is a priority.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:58 pm

A DT would be nice, but by no means should we just be reaching for one for the sake of taking one...

I'd say it's one of those positions where you try and find a steal later in the draft rather than burning a premium pick on it.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 pm

DT at 7 is certainly a possibility. But I will say it is a deep position in this draft. We really don't have any long term players at that position sans McCoy but even he's about to turn 30 in 3 weeks.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:39 am

Bootz2004 wrote:DT at 7 is certainly a possibility. But I will say it is a deep position in this draft. We really don't have any long term players at that position sans McCoy but even he's about to turn 30 in 3 weeks.

I agree that we have to think about our future past McCoy but I don't see DT as a possibility at 7, not this year. There is just no way the BPA at 7 will be a DT and the whoever is the BPA will be at a position of much greater need.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

It's absolutely a need.

But you know the horrible reality?

It's both a need and, right now, one of the stronger positions on our team.

If that's not the definition of a bad roster, I don't know what is.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am

MJW wrote:It's absolutely a need.

I keep trying to picture Vea playing DE sometimes, NT somtimes, UT sometimes, coupled with a bad ass edge or two choosing where they want to attack.

It is sad really what your saying, the strength of our team cant translate into wins, a sad puppy can do that.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am

How is it a strength? We have 1 talented, but aging, DLineman... who, btw, got hurt again this year and had to miss time..again

The next best guy is McDonald who is an all out effort, role player type...
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am

Because every year it gets said that it is!
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 am

Super K wrote:

How is it a strength? We have 1 talented, but aging, DLineman... who, btw, got hurt again this year and had to miss time..again

McDonald who is a FA by the way. In no way is the DT position a strength on this team. I don't know that I'd say McCoy is aging yet as in declining, but yes he has some years and got injured again.

To me the DT is as much a priority as our DE position. Both have been neglected over the years in the draft. Guys like McDonald, Baker, Ayers were never meant to be more than short term band-aid solutions. We need to invest in younger, fresher bodies on the entire Dline. At all spots.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am

Super K wrote:

Let me answer your question with a question -

How many positions are bigger needs?

End. We need two of those.
Corner. We need two of those.
Guard. We need at least one of those, arguably two.
Running back. Complete teardown except for Peyton Barber.

At some point, something becomes a strength by default. We have one all world defensive tackle, another solid one, and I think Steve T. has some potential. Compared with most of our other positions, that makes it a strength. Which is not the same thing as it being strong. But not anywhere near our biggest needs.
MJW

Postby Super K » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

McDonald who is a FA by the way. In no way is the DT position a strength on this team. I don't know that I'd say McCoy is aging yet as in declining, but yes he has some years and got injured again.

To me the DT is as much a priority as our DE position. Both have been neglected over the years in the draft. Guys like McDonald, Baker, Ayers were never meant to be more than short term band-aid solutions. We need to invest in younger, fresher bodies on the entire Dline. At all spots.

Couldn't agree more..
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 am

And if your doing it day one its going to take some years or you do great draft work and end up picking some who are the right players.
Which brings me to this, when you are getting into the lower rounds of the draft where is the line that you can cross into 1-AA - D-II, and D-III.

1-A done nothings versus the stars of the other divisions. Half the time I get the feeling they are just saying "well we got to rank them somewhere".
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 am

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:

At some point, something becomes a strength by default. We have one all world defensive tackle, another solid one, and I think Steve T. has some potential. Compared with most of our other positions, that makes it a strength. Which is not the same thing as it being strong. But not anywhere near our biggest needs.

I want all world winner! Yep, that has to be my vote and the team has not got that done.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am

I would say that DE/EDGE is a bigger need that DT since we do have McCoy and nothing close to a player like him at DE/EDGE.

But I also agree that we need talented young players all across the Dline and that DT is certainly NOT a position we should feel comfortable with, even if we re-sign McDonald for 1-2 more years. Clinton McDonald is just a rotational/depth guy.

There looks to be some solid depth in this class at DT, but none I'd want at 7th overall given who would likely still be on the board. But we'll see how it plays out and if end up trading down w/ a QB hungry team I wouldn't oppose getting a DT early.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

I dont care if its three shut down DB's from D-III if it gives our d-line the ability to control the game.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:24 am

We are going into our ninth year of all world not really meaning a damn thing and I have been saying it every year since Brian Price injured out.

:D That said, I'm prepared to say it again next year...
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Christian Wilkins returning to Clemson for his senior season (congrats Kress)...

That Tiger DL will continue to be pretty badass, but it's one less guy available for us to look at...
Super K

Postby terrytate » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 pm

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:

This. If there was a DT on the board and an equally good prospect that played pretty much anywhere else on either line, I'd take the other guy. Bootz is right to look at DT's but I view it as more trying to get ahead of the game rather than waiting until we have nothing then trying to rebuild. McCoy/Mcdonald is a better duo than most teams have, we just don't have much depth. Maybe Stevie T can do something, maybe not.

My point is that we aren't taking a DT at 7. Not when it is a near lock that Chubb and/or Nelson will be on the board. Does anyone think there is a DT in this draft that is a better prospect than either of those two?

Now, if you want to talk about getting a DT in a later round, I am all ears. I'd still rather draft DE, Oline or CB but if a DT is the clear BPA then take the guy.
terrytate

Postby Kress » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Super K wrote:Christian Wilkins returning to Clemson for his senior season (congrats Kress)...

That Tiger DL will continue to be pretty badass, but it's one less guy available for us to look at...

Psyched about that. That DL is truly badass. They can singlehandedly put Clemson back in the conversation next year.
Kress

Postby Super K » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 am

Kress wrote:
Super K wrote:Christian Wilkins returning to Clemson for his senior season (congrats Kress)...

Psyched about that. That DL is truly badass. They can singlehandedly put Clemson back in the conversation next year.

You should be...that DL is going to be damn nasty...
Super K

Postby Truck-a-Saurus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Tim Settle from VT is entering the draft. Dude is a straight up wrecking ball with a really good first step for his size (6' 3", 335). I would not be upset in the least to pick him up on the 2nd day.
Truck-a-Saurus

Postby Kress » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Super K wrote:
Kress wrote:

Add in the way Venebles brings pressure with LB and corner blitzes, and they are solid. #12 In the nation this year, and I expect better next year. They are on the upswing.
Kress

Postby Super K » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Kress wrote:
Super K wrote:

Add in the way Venebles brings pressure with LB and corner blitzes, and they are solid. #12 In the nation this year, and I expect better next year. They are on the upswing.

I'm hopin Coach Willie got a little somethin for you guys this year...

He damn well better..
Super K

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Truck-a-Saurus wrote:Tim Settle from VT is entering the draft. Dude is a straight up wrecking ball with a really good first step for his size (6' 3", 335). I would not be upset in the least to pick him up on the 2nd day.

Settle is a beast. Would have possibly been a 1st round pick if he stayed another year. Downright dominant in some games.
Bucs N Beers

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk