RBFs 2018 First Mock of the Year

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
RBFs 2018 First Mock of the Year

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:36 pm

College football season is done, and so are our Bucs. Here's a Bucs mock that includes the first 6 picks. I'm only including 1 player per round as I'm sure there will be some pick movement. My goal here is to identify a player in each round who could be a steal and fill a need.

1. Cleveland Browns, Sam Darnold, QB
-In my first mock last year I rolled the dice that they'd take Watson with their first pick, but now I think the Browns have to take a QB with this pick. Darnold to me is a pretty safe pick, and he does have some nice tools. I don't believe he's a plug and play Week 1 starter type, but I think the hope for the Browns is that Kizer can take those early bullets, and then Darnold can come in by mid season, finish the year strong, and give the franchise optimism at the position for the first time in ages.

2. NY Giants, Josh Rosen, QB
I have a bit of inside info here, but if Rosen is available when the Giants pick #2, he's their guy. If he's not, I think they roll with Barkley to give Eli one last hurrah. But the Giants love Rosen from not just an on field standpoint, but also from a marketing standpoint where they need to get their fickle fan base excited again. If Rosens comments scare off the Browns, he'll be a Giant unless he absolutely tanks the predraft process.

3. Indy Colts, Bradley Chubb, DE
Talking to me Colts fan buddy, he's convinced the Colts are going to reach for an OT here like Williams out of Texas out of desperation to protect Luck, but I think they opt for Chubb who can be plugged in and be an every down stud on that Dline, because right now they lack talent all over that D. Chubb should be the first non-QB off the board IMO, and I don't see the Colts passing on him when they have a need there.

4. Cleveland Browns, Saquan Barkley, RB
For the 3rd year in a row, a RB goes 4th- and Barkley is probably the best of the trio. With Darnold likely sitting for a bit to start the season, Barkley would be a great toy for Browns fans to tune in and watch.

5. Denver Broncos, Baker Mayfield, QB
Denver needs a QB in the worst way, and I have little doubt that Elway is in love with Mayfields moxie. Mayfield will need an offseason to settle into a pro offence, but I think he's a Week 1 starter who makes plays in the NFL right off the bat- which is all Denver needs.

6. NY Jets, Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB
Firstly I think the Jets go and get Kirk Cousins in FA. Seconly they have a tendency to just go BPA. In this scenario, Fitz could be that guy. Now they did take 2 safetoes early last year, but if Fitz shows off elite athleticism at the combine, I think someone tries to make him a CB full time.

7. Tampa Bay Bucs, Quenton Nelson, OG
I think 7 is where Nelson really becomes an option, and I don't think the Bucs pass on him with Chubb and Barkley off the board. Nelson is a plug and play Pro Bowler at LG, and as a rookie should turn the Bucs weakest OL position into it's strongest. He will simultaneously make Tampas RBs better, while also making Donovan Smith a better LT.

Rest of Bucs draft:

Round 2, Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
I think Michel has earned this spot with his play, and ends up the 4th RB off the board behind Barkley, Guice, and Love. Michel will be a 23 year old rookie, but he's relatively unblemished physically as Nick Chubb did alot of the heavy lifting for Georgia. I think Michel would pay a similar role here- with Barber playing the Nick Chubb role. Michel has show that he's got the enough power to break tackles, but where he's special is when he's given a little space where his athleticism can really shine. The guy is just slippery- as his performance against Alabama showed.

Round 3, Lorenzo Carter, EDGE, Georgia
The Bucs double dip in Georgia on Day 2, and select Carter who isn't dissimilar to Leonard Floyd a couple of years ago. In fact I wouldn't bet against him having a meteoric rise like Floyd did in 2016, but for now he's thought of as a 3rd rounder at best. Carter has an absolutely frightening combination of length, bend, and athleticism, but is a bit of a project since he played LB for Georgia (though did put his hand in the dirt a fair bit). He needs some refinement, but his physical traits alone will have him on the field as a pass rusher wreaking havoc early on. In limited snaps as a DE he put up some very impressive tape against some very good OLs, and as a chiseled 6'6" 240lbs he has the frame to continue adding weight and strength

Round 4, Rasheem Greene, DT, USC
The 20 year old hasn't made his intentions clear, but with the rest of those USC underclassman declaring, I think Greene follows suit. This is a pure project pick, since Greene is quite raw. That said, he's a physical freak who put up 10 sacks in 11 games last year as an interior lineman due to his athleticism alone. At 6'5" 280lbs Greene is built more like an end at the moment, but he has the frame to fill out, as he's incredibly lean considering his height and broad shoulders. The idea here is that he could develop behind McCoy for a couple of years, put on some weight, and then be the guy who takes over him. Greene could end up rising big time, so who knows, but as of now he's projected as an early Day 3 pick.

Round 5 Damon Webb, S, Ohio State
Webb is a feisty undersized safety who just makes plays. He can cover, he can tackle, he can be the 8th man in the box, and he can be a leader on the field. He just might not be 6 feet tall or run a sub 4.5 40. He's anexample of a guy who caught my eye during bowl season as he just seemed to be all over the field, and Ohio State has had a good track record lately when it comes to defensive backs.

Round 6, Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech
Facyson I've mentioned a few times, but he reminds me of those big corners who don't run tremendously, but you still can't complete balls on them due to their length and skills. In fact, I believe he lead college football in QB rating against last year. Facyson is 6'2" and has elite smarts on and off the field. He suffered a knee injury a couple of years ago, so he has a lot to prove at the combine medically and athletically, but I think he could be a Richard Sherman/Josh Norman type steal.

Round 7, Ike Boettger, OT, Iowa
Boettger has missed most of his senior year due to an achilles tear, but he's a former TE who was rising up boards before his injury. He needs to get healthy, and refine his technique with some good coaching, but he's a guy who could replace Dotson in a couple of years with good development.
real bucs fan

Re: RBFs 2018 First Mock of the Year

Postby Sammich » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

I don't follow college football well enough to know every name on this list, but I am a big fan of the positions on this list. Build the trenches, a little DB help, and a RB. Sounds perfect.

I very much agree with Nelson in the first (assuming Chubb is off the board). He is a monster, as safe as a prospect can realistically be, plays a position of huge need, and might be the best player from this draft I've watched so far. He would be hard to complain about.
Sammich

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:00 pm

I was expecting 32 RBs to be taken
Noles1724

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 pm

More than happy with Nelson. The rest of the draft reads like a clear reach and plug for positions. RBF would love this mock
Bootz2004

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 pm

I've also thought about Nelson in the first and Michel in the second. Hopefully we land a someone in FA that allows us to wait until the 3rd to address DE. But those would be 2 guys that would be hard to pass up.

I'm a VT fan and watched every game this year. I like Facyson a lot. Doesn't have a ton of stats, but didn't make a ton of mistakes. Greg Strohman is a smaller technical corner who had better stats, Adonis Alexander is a physical freak who gets beat more than you'd want. Facyson is the guy in the middle of those two who has decent size and good ability.

The other guys I don't know anything about, but I'd be pretty happy.
Bucs N Beers

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:More than happy with Nelson. The rest of the draft reads like a clear reach and plug for positions. RBF would love this mock

Just cuz you never heard of the guys lol

Do your research, then talk to me.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:More than happy with Nelson. The rest of the draft reads like a clear reach and plug for positions. RBF would love this mock

Just cuz you never heard of the guys lol

Do your research, then talk to me.

So you do like this draft?
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

I had no idea Ike Botteger tore his achellies. Hadn't peeked in on Iowa at all after the Penn State game.

It's to early for me to tear your mock up in terms of who goes where, but Lorenzo Carter is 242lbs. That's below average (254) for this class which gives me pause.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:40 pm

good mock, RBF, agree with your reasoning on the picks. gonna check out some of the guys I hadn't heard of, like that DT
beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I had no idea Ike Botteger tore his achellies. Hadn't peeked in on Iowa at all after the Penn State game.

It's to early for me to tear your mock up in terms of who goes where, but Lorenzo Carter is 242lbs. That's below average (254) for this class which gives me pause.

Not for me. Most of these players have peaked in terms of their ability and have various different issues whether it's coming off of major injuries, undersized, etc. A lot of position reaching to check off a box.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I had no idea Ike Botteger tore his achellies. Hadn't peeked in on Iowa at all after the Penn State game.

If you're drafting an edge in the 3rd that has major upside, there are warts on him somewhere. For Carter it's his size and the position he played at Georgia. He's certainly not a guy who I think will be a 3 down DE Day 1, but he's a guy who can at least be a situational edge rusher to start. As well it should be noted that the guy is a super duper lean 242lbs. He might be 10% body fat. He could add 20 pounds of pure fat and still be in good shape.
real bucs fan

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm

There is no way we draft a D lineman from USC because we drafted Kyle Moore from USC and he was a bust
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:There is no way we draft a D lineman from USC because we drafted Kyle Moore from USC and he was a bust

Not to mention Stevie T hasn't done a damn thing.
Bootz2004

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Good First Rd pick and then a bunch of reaches. Definitely a Licht like draft. Did we find out if rbf likes this mock?
ComingThisFall

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:45 pm

"reaches"... these are guys that are actually going to be available in those rounds...
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Good mock RBF.

I don't believe anyone can call projected day 2-3 picks on Jan 10th a reach since I will guarantee there are guys that will be drafted in the first round that aren't even on most peoples radar here, and if they are they aren't currently projected in the top 50 prospects. Just as there will be guys that folks will project as first rounders that won't go til rounds 3 or 4. It happens every year. Personally I think Carter will go higher that round 3 based on his position and upside.

And of course RBF likes/loves this mock, he's the one that posted it.

PS - Sony Michel will be drafted before Bryce Love :birdiedoublered: (my draft crush is better than yours)

My mock with no reaches would go

Rd 1 - Chubb
Rd 2 - Nelson
Rd 3 - Barkley
Rd 4 - Minkah
Rd 5 - Key
Rd 6 - Vea
Rd 7 - Derwin James
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 pm

real bucs fan wrote:"reaches"... these are guys that are actually going to be available in those rounds...

It's so hard to say that at this point.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:"reaches"... these are guys that are actually going to be available in those rounds...

Agreed, which is why I dislike that critique just as the "he won't be on the board when we pick in round X".

It's a mock draft in January folks. At this point it should be viewed as way for us as a group to share thoughts on these day 2-3 prospects so others can be familiar without pontificating whether they will be a 3rd or 5th round pick 3+ months from now.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

which is why erring on the side of caution, and making "conservative" picks, that appear to be reaches at this point in the game is the prudent thing to do...
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Baker Mayfield is going to be a ****ing BUST!!!

Just wanted to get hat out of the way.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:49 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Good mock RBF.

I don't believe anyone can call projected day 2-3 picks on Jan 10th a reach since I will guarantee there are guys that will be drafted in the first round that aren't even on most peoples radar here, and if they are they aren't currently projected in the top 50 prospects. Just as there will be guys that folks will project as first rounders that won't go til rounds 3 or 4. It happens every year. Personally I think Carter will go higher that round 3 based on his position and upside.

PS - Sony Michel will be drafted before Bryce Love :birdiedoublered: (my draft crush is better than yours)

Rd 1 - Chubb
Rd 2 - Nelson
Rd 3 - Barkley
Rd 4 - Minkah
Rd 5 - Key
Rd 6 - Vea
Rd 7 - Derwin James

I'm torn between the two tbh. Michel has better size and a better track record, but Love is 20 years old and could run a 4.3 flat. Either would be beautiful additions to our backfield though.
real bucs fan

Postby .irishHITMAN4rent » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Not gonna lie....When I seen "RBFs mock draft" I was expecting to see the buccs select a RB with each pick :lol:
.irishHITMAN4rent

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

All I ever advocated for was 1 RB... just 1...
real bucs fan

Postby Sammich » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 pm

You should wait a week or 2 and do a mock with 7 RBs just for shiggles and to read the reactions.
Sammich

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 pm

The more I see the talking heads and the draft hounds picking a running back in the 2nd, the more convinced I am of the direction I see for this team.
mdb1958

Postby Kress » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Good mock RBF.

Rd 1 - Chubb
Rd 2 - Nelson
Rd 3 - Barkley
Rd 4 - Minkah
Rd 5 - Key
Rd 6 - Vea
Rd 7 - Derwin James

That's a dream draft.
Kress

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 am

real bucs fan wrote:

If you're drafting an edge in the 3rd that has major upside, there are warts on him somewhere. For Carter it's his size and the position he played at Georgia. He's certainly not a guy who I think will be a 3 down DE Day 1, but he's a guy who can at least be a situational edge rusher to start. As well it should be noted that the guy is a super duper lean 242lbs. He might be 10% body fat. He could add 20 pounds of pure fat and still be in good shape.

IF we are staying in our 4-3 scheme, I'd rather have Carter in the 3rd than Key in the 1st...

Neither has the size to be a 3 down DE player imo (see Spence)...

Now we move to a 3-4, that changes things..
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 am

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:If you're drafting an edge in the 3rd that has major upside, there are warts on him somewhere. For Carter it's his size and the position he played at Georgia. He's certainly not a guy who I think will be a 3 down DE Day 1, but he's a guy who can at least be a situational edge rusher to start. As well it should be noted that the guy is a super duper lean 242lbs. He might be 10% body fat. He could add 20 pounds of pure fat and still be in good shape.

IF we are staying in our 4-3 scheme, I'd rather have Carter in the 3rd than Key in the 1st...

Ya I'd much prefer Carter in the 3rd. He's just as freaky as Key, and doesn't have the character or medical headaches.

Some interesting numbers for Carter:
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 242lbs
Bench presses: 355lbs
Squats: 500lbs
Power Cleans: 345lbs
GPS speed: 22.3 mph

And lastly...

PFF graded Carter as the highest pass rush productivity player in the FBS meaning he created more pressure per pass rushing snap than any other player in college football...

But the guy is a reach in the 3rd lmao...
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Nice Mock, addressing the run game and pass rush, exactly what we need.
Konatown

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

Ya I'd much prefer Carter in the 3rd. He's just as freaky as Key, and doesn't have the character or medical headaches.

Some interesting numbers for Carter:
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 242lbs
Bench presses: 355lbs
Squats: 500lbs
Power Cleans: 345lbs
GPS speed: 22.3 mph

And lastly...

PFF graded Carter as the highest pass rush productivity player in the FBS meaning he created more pressure per pass rushing snap than any other player in college football...

But the guy is a reach in the 3rd lmao...

If everything you said is true then THAT guy won't be available when we pick in the 2nd round. Let alone the 3rd. Teams are going to pass over that 70 times??
Bootz2004

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk