FCS Championship : JMU vs NDSU

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
FCS Championship : JMU vs NDSU

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm

The FCS tees up 16 teams and weeks later (Saturday Jan 6th) two teams will play for the championship, playing in Frisco, TX (near Dallas).

I have four distinct years with each area .. and look forward in seeing the outcome.

James Madison University (c/o '86) : I lived in Harrisonburg, Va from '82 - 86 and graduated in Dec of 86. I had classes with Charles Haley (yes . .that Charles Haley) and used to serve pizza to Gary Clark. Scott Norwood was a buddy I met when touring the campus before transferring.

NDSU : I worked in Fargo for four years (2012 - 2016), watched Carson Wentz practice and play, and really actually enjoyed . .mainly due to the people. NDSU is a solid football program that has OWNED FCS football .... until JMU

For me .. no one loses, and the FCS proves their consistent age old process to determine a champion works ...

Listen up Division I fans ... this is the answer.
Last edited by Crocaneers on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crocaneers

Re: FCS Championship : JMU vs NDSU

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Listen up BCS fans ... this is the answer.

1. The BCS doesn't exist.
2. This is not the answer and would destroy one of the most popular aspects of CFB, every game in the regular season matters. Some are ok with 8, some want to stay at 4, some even wanted to stay at 2. Very few CFB fans want to see 16...or more.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:40 pm

[quote="Crocaneers"]The FCS tees up 16 teams and weeks later (Saturday Jan 6th) two teams will play for the championship, playing in Frisco, TX (near Dallas).

I have four distinct years with each area .. and look forward in seeing the outcome.

James Madison University (c/o '86) : I lived in Harrisonburg, Va from '82 - 86 and graduated in Dec of 86. I had classes with Charles Haley (yes . .that Charles Haley) and used to serve pizza to Gary Clark. Scott Norwood was a buddy I met when touring the campus before transferring.

NDSU : I worked in Fargo for four years, and really actually enjoyed . .mainly due to the people. NDSU is a solid football program that has OWNED FCS football .... until JMU

For me .. no one loses, and the FCS proves their consistent age old process to determine a champion works ...

Listen up BCS fans ... this is the answer.[/quote]
what ? NO

yawn
Phantom Phenom

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:43 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:Listen up BCS fans ... this is the answer.

1. The BCS doesn't exist.
2. This is not the answer and would destroy one of the most popular aspects of CFB, every game in the regular season matters. Some are ok with 8, some want to stay at 4, some even wanted to stay at 2. Very few CFB fans want to see 16...or more.

Great points ... .. I am going to edit to call out system .. and frankly am favor of the 8 mega conferences.. each play championships .. and go from there.
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Not a fan of the big playoff.

The 16th ranked team this year was Michigan State who was 9-3 and finished 4th in the Big 10. I don’t see any reason they should have a chance to play for a title
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Not a fan of the big playoff.

The 16th ranked team this year was Michigan State who was 9-3 and finished 4th in the Big 10. I don’t see any reason they should have a chance to play for a title

Also not a fan of 8 for the same reason. We could have had Wisc v. OSU II or UGA vs. AU III. It's just unnecessary. The more teams added, the more debate, because the more ambiguity.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Yep, I like 4 the best.

I actually like how college football isn’t neat and tidy like all our professional sports
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Yep, I like 4 the best.

I wanted 2+1 (if necessary) originally, if there was ever a debate (could be good for this year), but I like 4.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

What do you mean 2 + 1?
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

I actually like how college football isn’t neat and tidy like all our professional sports

I love it. I love the passion, debates, the nerves with teams trying to go undefeated. The anger when a team loses a single game, the excitement when other **** ups nullify that, and the disappointment when people feel robbed.

BCS best 2 and a +1 if necessary like in 2004 (with Auburn).
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:19 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Not a fan of the big playoff.

Also not a fan of 8 for the same reason. We could have had Wisc v. OSU II or UGA vs. AU III. It's just unnecessary. The more teams added, the more debate, because the more ambiguity.

That's why I slant the Conference Championships .. so you get SEC, ACC, Pac 10, Big 10, etc ..... and then go .. I know that wreaks havoc in the process and as an SEC fan it really messes it up (see Monday night as an example)
Crocaneers

Postby Air-Buc-Pirate » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Why not have all Conference Champs plus 2 at large (for independent schools or high ranked universities) for the playoff? Top teams get a bye. Regular season counts to get a good seed and to compete for a conference championship. 12 teams total.

I'd rather see something like that. Have those major bowls host the games.

Teams that don't make the playoff play their respective bowl games. More money for everyone!

Play on the field will count and it will help teams that started the season unranked.
Air-Buc-Pirate

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm

NDSU - Champs.
mdb1958

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 am

The College Football Playoff management committee, which is comprised of the 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, are in unanimous agreement that the CFP should not expand beyond four teams right now.

"I'm not there yet," said American Athletic commissioner Mike Aresco, who has been vocal in his support of UCF, which is the only undefeated team left in the country and finished No. 12 in the selection committee's final ranking. "I am open to the notion, but I'm not campaigning for it. The last thing I want to do is give anyone the impression I'm campaigning to expand it, because I'm not. I'm happy with the four."

"I really believe in this system, that if you play the right schedule, that you're going to have an opportunity to be in the discussion," said MWC commissioner Craig Thompson. "Will you be a semifinalist? Very challenging. But you will be in the conversation."

The management committee set the guidelines for the 13-member selection committee, requiring them to consider conference championships won, head-to-head competition, strength of schedule and common opponents when determining the top four teams in the country. The CFP is wrapping up its fourth season in a 12-year contract.

"I think we're right where we should be at this point in time," ACC commissioner John Swofford said.

The highest-ranked Group of 5 champion is guaranteed a spot in a New Year's Six Bowl -- a far more lucrative and solid position for the Group of 5 than in the previous BCS system. The Group of 5 commissioners are in agreement that in spite of the uphill battle of getting an undefeated team into the semifinals, it's still a better deal than in the previous system.

"Each time there's been a change, it's been for the better," said Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson. "With all due respect to UCF, if we didn't have the system we have today, would they be playing in the Peach Bowl last week?"

Under the BCS system, Benson said the Sun Belt received $1 million to $2 million each year.

"We got $15 million last year out of the new system," he said. "In the bowl system, if there wasn't a team ranked in the top 12 you were shut out. I'm very satisfied with the current arrangement."

Some critics of the system have said that what's missing in college football is the Cinderella stories that are seen more frequently in the college basketball tournament, but C-USA commissioner Judy MacLeod said she believes it is possible.

"I think it's harder," she said, "but something's got to prove me wrong to think it's not possible."

Basically the G5 and P5 commissioners agree that 4 is the number and don't have plans on expanding to 8 for now. I figured it fit in with the conversations we had in this thread.
uscbucsfan

Return to College Football/Draft Talk