In the Second Round of the 2018 Draft Tampa Bay selects...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the Second Round of the 2018 Draft Tampa Bay selects.

Postby Sammich » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
Hopefully he doesnt have a hidden bum shoulder or some other kind of ailment.

The irony is Spence fell due to character concerns, and his character has been top notch since he got here. It's simply unfortunate this shoulder thing has happened, and it happened post draft, so I still think it was a good gamble.

I agree that Spence was a great day 2 gamble. Injuries are unfortunate, but most cannot be predicted and are part of football. Davenport would also be a great day 2 gamble for us should he fall. Unfortunately, he would also be a great late round 1 gamble for a team with a dline deep enough to not need him to produce right away.
Sammich

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:23 pm

He got injured, I'm just not convinced it was the first time.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Sammich wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The irony is Spence fell due to character concerns, and his character has been top notch since he got here. It's simply unfortunate this shoulder thing has happened, and it happened post draft, so I still think it was a good gamble.

I agree that Spence was a great day 2 gamble. Injuries are unfortunate, but most cannot be predicted and are part of football. Davenport would also be a great day 2 gamble for us should he fall. Unfortunately, he would also be a great late round 1 gamble for a team with a dline deep enough to not need him to produce right away.

Yep...
Super K

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
MJW wrote:
I was happy to get him in the 2nd round, but in retrospect I'm wondering if we shouldn't have been more bothered about his size. Is he always going to be banged up if he's expected to take on 330 lbs tackles head up? It's possible he's simply not built to play in our scheme, and it's a concern. At the very least, I'm dubious he's ever going to be an every-down player here.

Every-down EDGE rushers are few and far between. It's all about depth on the Dline and having guys that can rush the QB in predictable passing downs/situations.

It would obviously be great if Spence can be a solid run defender. But having him healthy and rushing the QB on 3rd down and late in games we're leading is where his value is.

Look at Dante Fowler for example. The guy doesn't even play on 1st down in their base defense, yet is considered a starter and was a key part of that Jags pass rush. Chris Long and Derek Barnett didn't start for Philly yet were vital parts of the 3rd down/rush package for what was a dominating D-line.

If Spence can atleast fill that role for the Bucs I'd be very satisfied. He needs to stay healthy.

I always saw Spence as an Aldon Smith type. If we could ever get him to that level I'd be very happy.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Doctor wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Every-down EDGE rushers are few and far between. It's all about depth on the Dline and having guys that can rush the QB in predictable passing downs/situations.

It would obviously be great if Spence can be a solid run defender. But having him healthy and rushing the QB on 3rd down and late in games we're leading is where his value is.

Look at Dante Fowler for example. The guy doesn't even play on 1st down in their base defense, yet is considered a starter and was a key part of that Jags pass rush. Chris Long and Derek Barnett didn't start for Philly yet were vital parts of the 3rd down/rush package for what was a dominating D-line.

If Spence can atleast fill that role for the Bucs I'd be very satisfied. He needs to stay healthy.

I always saw Spence as an Aldon Smith type. If we could ever get him to that level I'd be very happy.

Not even close. He doesn't have Smith's length or strength and he's not nearly as explosive.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:

Not even close. He doesn't have Smith's length or strength and he's not nearly as explosive.

We're talking about role/rotation/PT here.
Doctor

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk