In the Second Round of the 2018 Draft Tampa Bay selects...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the Second Round of the 2018 Draft Tampa Bay selects.

Postby Sammich » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
Hopefully he doesnt have a hidden bum shoulder or some other kind of ailment.

The irony is Spence fell due to character concerns, and his character has been top notch since he got here. It's simply unfortunate this shoulder thing has happened, and it happened post draft, so I still think it was a good gamble.

I agree that Spence was a great day 2 gamble. Injuries are unfortunate, but most cannot be predicted and are part of football. Davenport would also be a great day 2 gamble for us should he fall. Unfortunately, he would also be a great late round 1 gamble for a team with a dline deep enough to not need him to produce right away.
Sammich

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:23 pm

He got injured, I'm just not convinced it was the first time.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Sammich wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The irony is Spence fell due to character concerns, and his character has been top notch since he got here. It's simply unfortunate this shoulder thing has happened, and it happened post draft, so I still think it was a good gamble.

I agree that Spence was a great day 2 gamble. Injuries are unfortunate, but most cannot be predicted and are part of football. Davenport would also be a great day 2 gamble for us should he fall. Unfortunately, he would also be a great late round 1 gamble for a team with a dline deep enough to not need him to produce right away.

Yep...
Super K

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
MJW wrote:
I was happy to get him in the 2nd round, but in retrospect I'm wondering if we shouldn't have been more bothered about his size. Is he always going to be banged up if he's expected to take on 330 lbs tackles head up? It's possible he's simply not built to play in our scheme, and it's a concern. At the very least, I'm dubious he's ever going to be an every-down player here.

Every-down EDGE rushers are few and far between. It's all about depth on the Dline and having guys that can rush the QB in predictable passing downs/situations.

It would obviously be great if Spence can be a solid run defender. But having him healthy and rushing the QB on 3rd down and late in games we're leading is where his value is.

Look at Dante Fowler for example. The guy doesn't even play on 1st down in their base defense, yet is considered a starter and was a key part of that Jags pass rush. Chris Long and Derek Barnett didn't start for Philly yet were vital parts of the 3rd down/rush package for what was a dominating D-line.

If Spence can atleast fill that role for the Bucs I'd be very satisfied. He needs to stay healthy.

I always saw Spence as an Aldon Smith type. If we could ever get him to that level I'd be very happy.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Doctor wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Every-down EDGE rushers are few and far between. It's all about depth on the Dline and having guys that can rush the QB in predictable passing downs/situations.

It would obviously be great if Spence can be a solid run defender. But having him healthy and rushing the QB on 3rd down and late in games we're leading is where his value is.

Look at Dante Fowler for example. The guy doesn't even play on 1st down in their base defense, yet is considered a starter and was a key part of that Jags pass rush. Chris Long and Derek Barnett didn't start for Philly yet were vital parts of the 3rd down/rush package for what was a dominating D-line.

If Spence can atleast fill that role for the Bucs I'd be very satisfied. He needs to stay healthy.

I always saw Spence as an Aldon Smith type. If we could ever get him to that level I'd be very happy.

Not even close. He doesn't have Smith's length or strength and he's not nearly as explosive.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:

Not even close. He doesn't have Smith's length or strength and he's not nearly as explosive.

We're talking about role/rotation/PT here.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:42 am

Its the 2nd round and we managed to get Chubb, we now have CB's Mike Hughes, MJ Stewart in our sites, Rashaad Penny still is there. There is also a good selection of OT, G, and C, along with Armstrong DE and a bunch of defensive tackles. CB's, RB's, and O-linemen are flying off the boards. With DT's getting grabbed too.

Who should we pick?
Last edited by mdb1958 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:43 am

Of the names you mentioned: Hughes
Teitan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 am

Teitan wrote:Of the names you mentioned: Hughes

That is who I just went with. I had three prospects, James Daniels C, Dorance Armstrong DE, and Mike Hughes CB.

I just felt we had to go with him even though I was leaning hard towards James Daniels.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:06 am

I'm now in the 3rd and there are still some o-linemen left, the DE's are in who to pick land, Penny is still there and so is Taven Bryan and Tim Settle at DT.

We still need a G or C, those DT's look nice and we still need to plug the giant hole we created at RB. I gotta wonder how good these o-linemen are going to be, they are just being to reachable for us and that aint normal. It always seems these prospects line up against us in a way that they just dont fall to us.

Any ways, I'm going with one of those DT's and I think it should be Settle. The thing is, he almost makes it to us in the fourth, but that is BS because he is going to get grabbed sooner than that. Trade down and get a 4th??? and still pick him.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:12 am

Now I'm in the 4th and to my surprise Penny, Ragnow, LB Josey Jewell, and OT Brandon Parker are there. I would like to have all of these players but I think I got to go Ragnow.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:19 am

Crap, Seattle took my 5th - Danny Johnson CB. Somehow Brandon Parker OT is still there and I'm taking him to groom to replace one of our offensive tackles...

The rest.

7: R1P7
EDGE BRADLEY CHUBB
NC STATE
38: R2P6
CB MIKE HUGHES
CENTRAL FLORIDA
69: R3P5
DL TIM SETTLE
VIRGINIA TECH
108: R4P8
C FRANK RAGNOW
ARKANSAS
144: R5P7
OT BRANDON PARKER
NORTH CAROLINA A&T
180: R6P6
RB CHRIS WARREN
TEXAS
202: R6P28
EDGE JOE OSTMAN
CENTRAL MICHIGAN
237: R7P19
DL NATHAN SHEPHERD
FORT HAYS STATE
255: R7P37
DL P.J. HALL
SAM HOUSTON STATE

All monsters except Mike Hughes.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 am

Question, can you designate a exclusive rights to a player going to the practice squad?
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:36 am

One more, after the combine will the offensive line players shuffle around and rise higher in the rankings?
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 am

Let us know beforehand the next time you decide to stage a live, interactive mock draft in the 2nd Round Draft Pick thread.
Brazen331

Postby Hatter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 am

Brazen331 wrote:Let us know beforehand the next time you decide to stage a live, interactive mock draft in the 2nd Round Draft Pick thread.

:lol:
Hatter

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:52 am

It’s like a pop quiz.
Teitan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Who you got now?

Trade down twice and pick Nathan Shepherd DT.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm hoping for a CB/RB combo with the first 2 picks. I think the most likely combo is Ward at 7 and then Penny/Michel in round 2.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:35 pm

I would be pleased with alot of different prospects in the second round. To name a few:

- Running Backs: Derrius Guice, Ronald Jones, Sony Michel, Kerryon Johnson, Nick Chubb
- Interior Linemen: Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, James Daniels, Billy Price, Connor Williams
- Defensive Linemen: Marcus Davenport, Taven Bryan, Rasheem Green, Tim Settle, Harrison Phillips
- Corners: Carlton Davis, Jaire Alexander, Mike Hughes, Anthony Averett, Isaiah Oliver

That's a list of twenty guys who look damn good in the second round. Chances are good that at least half of them will be available at our second round selection. I would eagerly welcome any of them to our team.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Cheb wrote:I would be pleased with alot of different prospects in the second round. To name a few:

- Running Backs: Derrius Guice, Ronald Jones, Sony Michel, Kerryon Johnson, Nick Chubb
- Interior Linemen: Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, James Daniels, Billy Price, Connor Williams
- Defensive Linemen: Marcus Davenport, Taven Bryan, Rasheem Green, Tim Settle, Harrison Phillips
- Corners: Carlton Davis, Jaire Alexander, Mike Hughes, Anthony Averett, Isaiah Oliver

That's a list of twenty guys who look damn good in the second round. Chances are good that at least half of them will be available at our second round selection. I would eagerly welcome any of them to our team.

Good list. And it doesn't even include any safeties.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:I would be pleased with alot of different prospects in the second round. To name a few:

Yep, it makes you want 5 or 6 - 2nd rounders.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:46 pm

Unless I'm missing something, nobody talked about Justin Evans as our second rounder, and he turned out pretty well (knocks on wood until knuckles bleed.)

It's a little different this year, picking so high in the round. Your expectation is that you'll get somebody who was talked about as a 1st rounder. But to echo what's being said, we should get a very nice player.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:09 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Yep, it makes you want 5 or 6 - 2nd rounders.

Truth. Unless we get a shot at a the big three, I'd love to see us trade back and stockpile a bushel of picks in the 20 to 50 range
terrytate

Postby Hatter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:57 pm

All for the trade back if its a viable option like TT said but I just really want it to be for a few picks, or at the very least a fair amount of picks..
Can you imagine if Licht trades back from 7 to say 15 (AZ) for a 5th rounder and him saying "I had an offer I just couldn't refuse".

Im like "seriously!?"

The amount of players I like obviously in the 1st are quite a few so I'll more than likely be happy with the pick, but the amount of players I like in the 2nd and 3rd has grown tremendously and would like a few more picks in there.

BRING ON THE DRAFT!

Hatter

Postby BucJordan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Trading down with the Bills for their two firsts is the absolute dream scenario for me. They'd be overpaying, bit we've seen teams do just that for a QB. Even if Nelson is on the board I couldn't complain. It'd be better than watching us pass on him for a DB at 7 like most recent mocks are predicting. :?

If Barkley is there I'd gladly trade down with Oakland if we can pick up their 2nd. Same with Miami if they want the 4th or 5th QB.

I'm leery of going lower than 12 because I think we can still get one of the big three DBs there, but obviously if we start talking about a future 1st you have to listen.
BucJordan

Postby Super K » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:38 pm

For those whom want to trade down and pick up extra picks (either in the 1st or 2nd), why aren't WE talking about future firsts?...as in give up 2019 to move back into round #1?...

Sounds dumb, right?..so does moving back 2-4 spots in round 1 hoping a guy we like at 7, but for some reason don't want to pull the trigger on there, is still there at 12 or 15 etc...

It's as crazy as the Browns waiting to take their QB at #4...

Stay at 7..select our guy...who gives a **** "when" they are supposed to go in round #1...

If we want another guy, trade back UP...
Super K

Postby terrytate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:45 pm

BucJordan wrote:Trading down with the Bills for their two firsts is the absolute dream scenario for me. They'd be overpaying, bit we've seen teams do just that for a QB. Even if Nelson is on the board I couldn't complain. It'd be better than watching us pass on him for a DB at 7 like most recent mocks are predicting. :?

If Barkley is there I'd gladly trade down with Oakland if we can pick up their 2nd. Same with Miami if they want the 4th or 5th QB.

I'm leery of going lower than 12 because I think we can still get one of the big three DBs there, but obviously if we start talking about a future 1st you have to listen.

Yup. If the Bills call us, there had better be prepared to pay.
terrytate

Postby BucJordan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:27 am

Super K wrote:Sounds dumb, right?..so does moving back 2-4 spots in round 1 hoping a guy we like at 7, but for some reason don't want to pull the trigger on there, is still there at 12 or 15 etc...

It's as crazy as the Browns waiting to take their QB at #4...

Stay at 7..select our guy...who gives a **** "when" they are supposed to go in round #1...

This is only true if there's really one guy they love at 7, with a much higher grade than the next couple guys. If that's true, then absolutely take him. But Barkley, James, Fitz and Ward are all on the board at 7. With your grades they represent very similar value to the team. Oakland calls and offers their 2nd to move up for Barkley - Gruden's enamored with him. HELL YES I am taking that deal. You now have still upgraded your secondary with your 1st, and now have two 2nd rounders to upgrade two more areas. It's about opportunity cost. Is your preference between those players strong enough to give up the opportunity to upgrade another position (i.e. grab good OG and RB early in the 2nd)?

And comparing this to the Cleveland QB situation is laughable. First, we're talking about the most important position in football by a wide margin, where jobs are lost by picking the wrong guy. Your risk is magnified exponentially. Add to that, at least one of the two picks between 1 and 4 is DEFINITELY going QB, and #2 might very well be a QB too. So at worst you're getting your choice of the 2nd overall non-QB in the draft. You would have to have the three QBs graded pretty much DEAD even for it to make any sense, which is highly unlikely at that position.

Super K wrote:For those whom want to trade down and pick up extra picks (either in the 1st or 2nd), why aren't WE talking about future firsts?...as in give up 2019 to move back into round #1?...

If we want another guy, trade back UP...

Once again, opportunity cost. Teams almost never give up future 1sts for non-QBs because the impact just isn't high enough to risk give up another impact player, and one that could be a top-10 or top-5 pick. We all HOPE it isn't that high, but **** happens. Jameis could get hurt and we tank. You better LOVE that player in the mid-1st if you're going to give up your top draft pick the next year. It would have to be the perfect combination of need and talent. If we're going to move back into round one I'd expect us to give up maybe a 3rd next year to sneak into the 29-32 range. If we're giving up a future first it's likely to go into the mid-teens and I just don't who we'd be targeting that would be worth that kind of cost.
BucJordan

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 am

I get your point of view, I just hate having decisions made for us/me...

If we have 4 guys graded about the same and trade back 3 spots because 1 of them will be there, it's like skipping out on the decision..(in my mind at least)...imo that's how we ended up with VH3 and Barron...we tried to be "smart" instead of standing pat and drafting our guy..

As to the latter half of your post, do you really mean we could get back up into the first (29-32) just by offering a 2019 3rd round pick? Or am I reading that wrong?...

Because if we gave up our late 1st rounder for a future 3rd I'd ****ing kill Licht dead...
Super K

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk