The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 pm

real bucs fan wrote:...and Guice makes Evans look like Hellen Keller with his antics on the field.

LOL, this is a random and weird analogy! :)
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Naismith wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:...and Guice makes Evans look like Hellen Keller with his antics on the field.

I was trying to think of someone quiet lol
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Naismith wrote:

I was trying to think of someone quiet lol

Did you ever watch that movie?...she was loud as ****.... hahahahaha
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I was trying to think of someone quiet lol

HOLY **** IMLAUGHED TOO HARD AT THIS!!!! LMFAO!!! IN TEARS!
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I was trying to think of someone quiet lol

Clearly no :lol:
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:58 pm

John Elway was personally in attendance to watch Baker Mayfields Pro Day. So were the Jets.

Apparently he was very impressive.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

real bucs fan wrote:The growing consensus out of New York seems to be that they aren't going QB, and that they want one last hurrah with Eli... and that if Barkley goes #1, they could shock the world and take Nelson at 2. That could mean we see Barkley, Nelson, Chubb as the first 3 picks.

Pat Shurmur isn't playing that Ben Macadoo crap. He drafted his man crush Sam Bradford first overall (and proceeded to take him everywhere). As the Browns HC he missed out on Luck and Newton going #1. He saw what having a stacked team with no QB does in Minnesota. He may not pass on his chance to nab a stud franchise QB for the rest of his tenure because he believes in old man Eli.
This isn't Madden, guys being drafted in a vacuum. These are people, HCs and GMs, who are looking after their jobs as well as their teams. They aren't going to fall in the sword and risk getting fired for shitty QB play so that the next guy can have a great set up. Coaches don't get the chance to draft in the top 5 and land a franchise QB twice.
Doctor

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

HOLY **** IMLAUGHED TOO HARD AT THIS!!!! LMFAO!!! IN TEARS!

lmfao holy **** me too i'm dying
beardmcdoug

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 pm

real bucs fan wrote:John Elway was personally in attendance to watch Baker Mayfields Pro Day. So were the Jets.

But the Giants only sent Mike Shula.... hmmm...
Doctor

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Gonna go on record and say: Baker Mayfield is going to have the most successful NFL career out of him, Rosen, Allen, Darnold, and Jackson.

I think Rosen's career gets marred by injuries but he'll hang around and be semi-successful, sort of like Bradford - just without the $100 mil in contracts
I think Darnold grinds out a couple winning seasons but is ultimately Andy Dalton 2.0
I think Allen absolutely busts
and I think Jackson never earns a starting job

Mayfield will go to multiple pro bowls, take his team to several playoff appearances and maybe wins a super bowl
beardmcdoug

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Naismith wrote:

LMFAO!! Damn I love this board.
PrimeMinister

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussions

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:35 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Gonna go on record and say: Baker Mayfield is going to have the most successful NFL career out of him, Rosen, Allen, Darnold, and Jackson.

I think Rosen's career gets marred by injuries but he'll hang around and be semi-successful, sort of like Bradford - just without the $100 mil in contracts
I think Darnold grinds out a couple winning seasons but is ultimately Andy Dalton 2.0

Mayfield will go to multiple pro bowls, take his team to several playoff appearances and maybe wins a super bowl

This totally
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:08 am

beardmcdoug wrote:Gonna go on record and say: Baker Mayfield is going to have the most successful NFL career out of him, Rosen, Allen, Darnold, and Jackson.

I will take that bet.
MJW

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:09 am

real bucs fan wrote:John Elway was personally in attendance to watch Baker Mayfields Pro Day. So were the Jets.

Yeah, I found an article on it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ay-workout
MJW

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:23 am

MJW wrote:

I will take that bet.

ok what are the terms? bump in 5 years to see who wins
beardmcdoug

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 am

If you two were characters from Winnie the Pooh, beardmcdoug would be Tigger and MJW would be Eeyore.
VauntedTampa2

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:38 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:If you two were characters from Winnie the Pooh, beardmcdoug would be Tigger and MJW would be Eeyore.

LOL my 3 year old has been watching Pooh's Grand Adventure recently - this cracks me up

MJW reminds me a little more of Rabbit though ;) :lol:
beardmcdoug

Postby Stephenip12 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 am

I am actually on the Derwin James' bandwagon now. That physicality of his is much needed to our secondary.
Stephenip12

Postby deltbucs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:54 am

For the people that like James, do you like him at safety? He's been way over-hyped for a while now, IMO. His effort could be better and he looked pretty terrible trying to tackle in space at times last year...which is pretty important for a safety. He's a good player, but not worthy of a top 10 pick, IMO. He's nowhere near the type of talent Jalen Ramsey was coming out of FSU.
deltbucs

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am

Ya James is a safety. I think you line him up near the LOS though where he can do a little bit of everything including blitz and cover TEs.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:39 am

For all the James fans who kick other posters in the balls for getting excited about a prospects "measurables" without the production and game tape to back it up, start punching your own crotch...

James's legacy at FSU:

- 1 good pass rush against a Florida Lineman (you all know he didn't get to the QB, right?)

- 1 good tackle against Lamar Jackson 3 years ago

- a desperation heave int against Mississippi

- tons and tons of hype

Infact, Jalen Ramsey's 1 game against Miami (in Miami) in 2014 was better than Derwins whole career..

And his name shouldn't even be spoken or said in the same sentence as Lamarcus Joyner's...

/Rant
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 am

I'm inclined to cut Derwin James a little slack. FSU had high expectations last year and completely collapsed after giving Bama a good game.

The coach had already checked out, the QB was out, and they just never recovered. Nobody on that team played exceptionally well. James has all the tools and is a heckuva athlete. He just needs coached up which means he needs the right situation.

I'm sure if drafted to the right place he'll be a solid pro. And it's not fair to him to set the bar at Jaylen Ramsey who has turned out to be pretty exceptional.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:50 am

deltbucs wrote:For the people that like James, do you like him at safety? He's been way over-hyped for a while now, IMO. His effort could be better and he looked pretty terrible trying to tackle in space at times last year...which is pretty important for a safety. He's a good player, but not worthy of a top 10 pick, IMO. He's nowhere near the type of talent Jalen Ramsey was coming out of FSU.

He's a traits guy. Not many 6'3" 215lbs guys can run and hit like Derwin James so he's intriguing with how a team could use him. His lack of ball production is a concern given he's a DB, but he certainly pops when you watch FSU and they have him attacking the LOS. But teams will need to determine if his lack of PBUs and INTs are result of poor play or lack of opportunity.

James doesn't play the same role as Ramsey. Jalen could play outside at CB and in the NFL that is the most valuable position in the secondary and arguably 2nd most for a defense. James is a Strong Safety who will be best utilized playing in the box, which just as it the case with off the LOS LB lowers his positional value.

As far as his tackling, I'm not concerned about that. Jamal Adams went 6th overall last year iirc and I see alot of similarities in him and James as prospects. I think James comes off the board somewhere in the 7-13 range. Too much physical ability to slide very far imo.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 am

I like James and think he's going to be a great pro. Ultimately I would much rather sign a veteran safety to play with Evans, and it's a buyers market for safety's in FA right now, but if Licht fails to do that, then James could creep up to 4th on my big board.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 am

DreadNaught wrote:
deltbucs wrote:For the people that like James, do you like him at safety? He's been way over-hyped for a while now, IMO. His effort could be better and he looked pretty terrible trying to tackle in space at times last year...which is pretty important for a safety. He's a good player, but not worthy of a top 10 pick, IMO. He's nowhere near the type of talent Jalen Ramsey was coming out of FSU.

He's a traits guy. Not many 6'3" 215lbs guys can run and hit like Derwin James so he's intriguing with how a team could use him. His lack of ball production is a concern given he's a DB, but he certainly pops when you watch FSU and they have him attacking the LOS. But teams will need to determine if his lack of PBUs and INTs are result of poor play or lack of opportunity.

James doesn't play the same role as Ramsey. Jalen could play outside at CB and in the NFL that is the most valuable position in the secondary and arguably 2nd most for a defense. James is a Strong Safety who will be best utilized playing in the box, which just as it the case with off the LOS LB lowers his positional value.

As far as his tackling, I'm not concerned about that. Jamal Adams went 6th overall last year iirc and I see alot of similarities in him and James as prospects. I think James comes off the board somewhere in the 7-13 range. Too much physical ability to slide very far imo.

I said this during the season, but James reminds me of Taylor Mays. The tape suggested he wasn't elite, but his size and numbers were insane. I think James will be better, but I don't think he'll ever be great.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I said this during the season, but James reminds me of Taylor Mays. The tape suggested he wasn't elite, but his size and numbers were insane. I think James will be better, but I don't think he'll ever be great.

That's a damn good comp....

Thumbs up USC!
Super K

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Mays was a classic looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane player though. James is a legit football player, with top notch football character. I think he was hurt post-freshman year by not only a serious injury, but by a somewhat dysfunctional situation. As well, it usually takes a year back from a serious injury before you regain your true form. I have zero worries about James as a player. My main issue with taking him is about the utilization of resources considering the glut of free agent safeties are having taken a safety in the top 50 just last year.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

backasswards
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm warming up to the idea of Denzel Ward. His height and arm length at the combine surprised me. 5'11" with long arms gives him more than enough length.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I'm warming up to the idea of Denzel Ward. His height and arm length at the combine surprised me. 5'11" with long arms gives him more than enough length.

He's still 5'10" unless he had his legs stretched or something. And even that us generous.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk