The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Teitan wrote:
You do realize it’s not real, right?

Somebody make a case for Derwin James 7th pick of the 2018 NFL draft.

He's a top 10 player in this draft and we could definitely use him at SS.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:55 am

real bucs fan wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
Somebody make a case for Derwin James 7th pick of the 2018 NFL draft.

He's a top 10 player in this draft and we could definitely use him at SS.

He'd be a day one starter, the best player at his position in the draft. He would also bench Conte, which is a reason in and of itself to draft him.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:22 am

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:He's a top 10 player in this draft and we could definitely use him at SS.

He'd be a day one starter, the best player at his position in the draft. He would also bench Conte, which is a reason in and of itself to draft him.

James is definitely on my radar. We haven't really discussed him at all, but I would not be surprised one bit if we took him. My biggest issue with it would be using premium picks on safeties in back to back drafts when we have so many other issues, but he's a great player with a rare skillset who fills a need.

My draft philosophy always has been go BPA in round 1, and target your needs on Day 2. If James is BPA at 7, say the QB run doesn't happen and we can't find a trade down partner, I'd have no issue taking him.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:34 am

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:He's a top 10 player in this draft and we could definitely use him at SS.

I secretly hope he's in a Bucs uniform come April. I know the critical need for linemen we have and I want us to hit the trenches repeatedly. But man Derwin James is so damn fun to watch and he's a real dog out there too. Pairing him with Evans would be damn fun to watch.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I secretly hope he's in a Bucs uniform come April. I know the critical need for linemen we have and I want us to hit the trenches repeatedly. But man Derwin James is so damn fun to watch and he's a real dog out there too. Pairing him with Evans would be damn fun to watch.

Do you take him over Fitzpatrick if both are on the board? I'd be tempted to as I think with James you at least know what he is, and his upside is just as high.
real bucs fan

Postby Sammich » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:49 am

I'd love an elite defensive back as much as anybody, but if we don't fix the lines that elite defensive back amounts to nothing more than fancy wheels on a car that doesn't run.
Sammich

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Cheb wrote:

James is definitely on my radar. We haven't really discussed him at all, but I would not be surprised one bit if we took him. My biggest issue with it would be using premium picks on safeties in back to back drafts when we have so many other issues, but he's a great player with a rare skillset who fills a need.

My draft philosophy always has been go BPA in round 1, and target your needs on Day 2. If James is BPA at 7, say the QB run doesn't happen and we can't find a trade down partner, I'd have no issue taking him.

I've beaten the drum for him for some time now. He's my #4 guy behind the big 3 of Chubb, Nelson and Barkley.

We have a lot of non-WR receiving threats in our division. Kamara, McCaffrey, Freeman and Olsen come to mind. Most of our division relies on a strong ground game too. A premier SS to cover those guys and stuff the run game will do us a world of good. James is good enough in coverage to play center field with ease while also being a physical beast against the run. He's tall enough to handle big TE's and strong enough to maul these RB's. The only downside to taking James is that it means we didn't get Chubb, Nelson or Barkley and that may not be avoidable.
terrytate

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 pm

I predicted James would be the Bucs pick over 2 months ago. He would be great with Evans but I would prefer Nelson. I would want James over Vea though.
Brazen331

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 pm

terrytate wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:James is definitely on my radar. We haven't really discussed him at all, but I would not be surprised one bit if we took him. My biggest issue with it would be using premium picks on safeties in back to back drafts when we have so many other issues, but he's a great player with a rare skillset who fills a need.

I've beaten the drum for him for some time now. He's my #4 guy behind the big 3 of Chubb, Nelson and Barkley.

We have a lot of non-WR receiving threats in our division. Kamara, McCaffrey, Freeman and Olsen come to mind. Most of our division relies on a strong ground game too. A premier SS to cover those guys and stuff the run game will do us a world of good. James is good enough in coverage to play center field with ease while also being a physical beast against the run. He's tall enough to handle big TE's and strong enough to maul these RB's. The only downside to taking James is that it means we didn't get Chubb, Nelson or Barkley and that may not be avoidable.

Ya I think I'd take him over Fitzpatrick and have him #4 on my board. I like Fitzpatrick, but I think he's a FS and we just took Evans who looks good. James would fill a bigger need, and I think he's almost as versatile albeit in a different way. Not only is he a beast against the run, but he's got great ability in coverage and as a blitzer as well.
real bucs fan

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:22 am

4.48 forty, 40-inch vertical, 21 BP reps, James delivered at the combine so he is going to rise. As far as the top 10? Probably.
Brazen331

Postby Doctor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:59 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Ya I think I'd take him over Fitzpatrick and have him #4 on my board. I like Fitzpatrick, but I think he's a FS and we just took Evans who looks good. James would fill a bigger need, and I think he's almost as versatile albeit in a different way. Not only is he a beast against the run, but he's got great ability in coverage and as a blitzer as well.

There are no real FS/SS in Smith's schemes, both play both. As you'll see in a moment when FS Tyrann Mathieu is cut and we pick him up.
Doctor

Postby Nano » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:41 pm

"In a moment?"

Is there something you're not telling us Doc?
Nano

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:34 pm

This Bills trade is excellent for the Bucs as it puts them in a good position to move up to three. I’d guess QBs go 1-3 in that scenario.
Naismith

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Naismith wrote:This Bills trade is excellent for the Bucs as it puts them in a good position to move up to three. I’d guess QBs go 1-3 in that scenario.

The QB market is crazy right now. Maybe the colts do us a favor.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Also if I'm the Browns I'm not feeling good about passing on my QB at 1 because he'll be there at 4...

And as I pointed out in another thread, the Browns going QB at 1 and the Colts trading out of the top 6 is what needs to happen for Chubb to fall into our lap. :D
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:09 pm

There's no chance the Browns are taking a QB at four and another position at one. Literally, zero chance. And I realize how easily this could get bumped in a few months but I'm that confident.
Naismith

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:20 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Also if I'm the Browns I'm not feeling good about passing on my QB at 1 because he'll be there at 4...

And as I pointed out in another thread, the Browns going QB at 1 and the Colts trading out of the top 6 is what needs to happen for Chubb to fall into our lap. :D

Before you start jumping up and down and throwing babies in the air, remember the Eagles would take a 2nd for Foles in a heartbeat.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Naismith wrote:There's no chance the Browns are taking a QB at four and another position at one. Literally, zero chance. And I realize how easily this could get bumped in a few months but I'm that confident.

I'll out on this limb with you, with one proviso - there's no way a not-stupid team would try this, but the Browns are pretty damn stupid.

You don't have the QB, you like a QB, you get the QB. It's conventional wisdom, but the opposite of that in this case is unconventional stupidity.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm

I think I'll get back to the Bucs. What we do is have our target at 7 and identify 2 or 3 more and see if its worth our while to trade down - maybe even more than once. Consider the fact that some stronger rosters may just be screaming for something we would give up. I think there are some really good players deeper in this draft and when they come to our team they will look even better.
mdb1958

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 pm

mdb1958 wrote:I think I'll get back to the Bucs. What we do is have our target at 7 and identify 2 or 3 more and see if its worth our while to trade down - maybe even more than once. Consider the fact that some stronger rosters may just be screaming for something we would give up. I think there are some really good players deeper in this draft and when they come to our team they will look even better.

If this staff is worth a ****, they've done research on an awful lot of guys. This looks to be an exceptionally unpredictable draft. The Browns are massive wild cards. They could potentially take 6 different guys at 1, any of the big 4 QBs plus Barkley/Chubb. The Giants might take QB, another elite player or trade back. The Colts might take Chubb or Barkley, or they might trade out too to stock picks in a deep Oline draft. Then from there, it might get really nuts.

We could end up drafting whichever stud falls to us, which we have no say in and could be up to 5 different guys. Or we might end up fielding a slew of calls to Trade back if the run o n QBs happens but one guy is left at 7.

This is one of the more interesting and exciting drafts in recent memory.
terrytate

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Terry I gotta admit, with how everything looks projection wise, where we are we could almost draft an entire offensive line. I dont know if they are any damn good though.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 am

Looks like Draft Breakdown gave up on their paywall.

Better late than never, but let than be a lesson to them.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 am

MJW wrote:
Naismith wrote:There's no chance the Browns are taking a QB at four and another position at one. Literally, zero chance. And I realize how easily this could get bumped in a few months but I'm that confident.

I'll out on this limb with you, with one proviso - there's no way a not-stupid team would try this, but the Browns are pretty damn stupid.

You don't have the QB, you like a QB, you get the QB. It's conventional wisdom, but the opposite of that in this case is unconventional stupidity.

But what if they don't like the QBs that much, or have them that far apart?
Deja Entendu

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:58 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:

It DOESN'T ****ing matter...they are going QB at 1....for as many times as they've fucked it up, THEY HAVE to...

And as far as Barkley, all they have to do is look at 2012..

Took the super back high, took the QB later...result?.. dumpster fire

They are going QB...my money is on Darnold...
Super K

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 am

Super K wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

It DOESN'T ****ing matter...they are going QB at 1....for as many times as they've fucked it up, THEY HAVE to...

And as far as Barkley, all they have to do is look at 2012..

Took the super back high, took the QB later...result?.. dumpster fire

They are going QB...my money is on Darnold...

now that they signed Hyde, my money is on Allen. They traded the 65th pick in the draft for Tyrod. He'll play a season while Allen, who is seen as the most upside, but the biggest project, sits and learns for a year
beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 am

Deja Entendu wrote:But what if they don't like the QBs that much, or have them that far apart?

I don't think an NFL team would let other teams dictate which QB they get, even if they're close, but they'd have to have three guys ranked equally to pass on one at #1 and still be assured one of the guys at #4.
Naismith

Postby Hatter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 am

@JoshNorris
14m
14 minutes ago

More
I have confirmed the #Bucs are putting LSU RB Derrius Guice through a private workout today.
Hatter

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am

Hatter wrote:

@JoshNorris
14m
14 minutes ago

More
I have confirmed the #Bucs are putting LSU RB Derrius Guice through a private workout today.

GUICE AT 7!!@&#@&
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Hatter wrote:

GUICE AT 7!!@&#@&

No way. That's a trade back option.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 am

I'd be pretty pissed if we took Guice at 7. Not that he's a bad player, but I just worry about his ability to stay healthy with his running style, as well we already have 1 hot head on offence in Evans, and Guice makes Evans look like Hellen Keller with his antics on the field.
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk