The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 am

real bucs fan wrote:If we are going to dedicate significant resources to the LG spot, I'd much rather just throw a bunch of money at Norwell. The guy is a 26 year old All-Pro, plus we'd be stealing from the Panthers.

From your lips to god's ears.

Sign Norwell.
Sign Trumaine Johnson.
Draft Marcus Davenport.

And go.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:39 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:If we are going to dedicate significant resources to the LG spot, I'd much rather just throw a bunch of money at Norwell. The guy is a 26 year old All-Pro, plus we'd be stealing from the Panthers.

Sign Norwell.
Sign Trumaine Johnson.
Draft Marcus Davenport.

And go.

Id be down with that. We are kind of pigeonholed into drafting a DE. Really hope Edmunds and Fitzpatrick emerge and somehow Chubb falls into our laps. And then move into the late first and land a falling Guice. One can dream...
real bucs fan

Postby Sammich » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:43 am

MJW wrote:

Sign Norwell.
Sign Trumaine Johnson.
Draft Marcus Davenport.

And go.

Yes
Yes
Not in the top ten. He's waaaaay too much of a project to go that high. If we can score a good trade down then maybe.
Sammich

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:21 am

In that scenario, where we sign a #1 corner and an elite guard, IMHO Davenport would make the most sense.

We could also sign a useful rusher, draft a rusher in the 2nd, and use the 1st rounder on another DB, like Fitzpatrick or Ward. Or perhaps Vea.

Like, this scenario:

Sign Andrew Norwell
Sign Trumaine Johnson
Draft Vita Vea
Draft Arden Key

That could be interesting.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 am

My non first DE combo would be sign Okafor and draft Lorenzo Carter.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:54 am

MJW wrote:

Draft Marcus Davenport.

And go.

The local hacks had Todd McShay on today. He had some interesting things to say about Davenport. Take McShay for what he's worth...but some highlights:

1) Thought he was the best defensive player at the Senior Bowl...but wasn't dominant.

2) Lacks confidence. Says teams will be asking him about his "passion for the game" and such during interviews. He kind of let it go towards the end of his comment but it wasn't something you want to hear about a guy you take at #7.

3) The ONLY way Chubb falls to 7 is if 4 QB's go before him. He DID believe it was possible...though not LIKELY.

4) Felt that this year was unusual for D-line prospects as most of the linemen that pressured the QB the best were INTERIOR linemen.

5) Compared him to a Ziggy Anzah-type. You might not see him pay dividends for 3 or so years.

I'll shout it until draft day...or until you people fall in line:

You don't take the "2nd or 3rd" best DE by passing up a "generational" Guard...and a guy who the "experts" grade out higher than Logan Mankins. That's just stupid beyond words.

Carry on thinking Chubb or Fitzpatrick will be around by 7...
Alpha

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:03 am

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:Draft Marcus Davenport.

And go.

The local hacks had Todd McShay on today. He had some interesting things to say about Davenport. Take McShay for what he's worth...but some highlights:

1) Thought he was the best defensive player at the Senior Bowl...but wasn't dominant.

2) Lacks confidence. Says teams will be asking him about his "passion for the game" and such during interviews. He kind of let it go towards the end of his comment but it wasn't something you want to hear about a guy you take at #7.

3) The ONLY way Chubb falls to 7 is if 4 QB's go before him. He DID believe it was possible...though not LIKELY.

4) Felt that this year was unusual for D-line prospects as most of the linemen that pressured the QB the best were INTERIOR linemen.

5) Compared him to a Ziggy Anzah-type. You might not see him pay dividends for 3 or so years.

You don't take the "2nd or 3rd" best DE by passing up a "generational" Guard...and a guy who the "experts" grade out higher than Logan Mankins. That's just stupid beyond words.

I don't know the first thing about Davenport's attitude. I agree he'll be a project. So are a lot of players who turn into greats. That doesn't scare me.

I don't think Chubb is going to fall to #7, even if 4 quarterbacks go. He's the best defensive player in the draft and he's scheme versatile.

I'm not going to lose my poop if we draft Nelson. But there's still a pretty hard limit on how much even a "generational" guard can improve an offense. It's a complimentary position. If it doesn't throw the football, block the blindside, or hit the blindside, and it can't cover a #1 receiver down the field, I don't really want to use the 7th overall pick on it. There are better ways, like free agency or Day Two.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:09 am

MJW wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I don't know the first thing about Davenport's attitude. I agree he'll be a project. So are a lot of players who turn into greats. That doesn't scare me.

I don't think Chubb is going to fall to #7, even if 4 quarterbacks go. He's the best defensive player in the draft and he's scheme versatile.

I'm not going to lose my poop if we draft Nelson. But there's still a pretty hard limit on how much even a "generational" guard can improve an offense. It's a complimentary position. If it doesn't throw the football, block the blindside, or hit the blindside, and it can't cover a #1 receiver down the field, I don't really want to use the 7th overall pick on it. There are better ways, like free agency or Day Two.

I clearly stated that this was according to McShay. I'm assuming he's studied these players more than you or I. I've never seen the guy take a snap.

What you're saying is that you would rather take the 2nd or 3rd best DE prospect, who may or may not turn out to be good in a few years, over a guy who is clearly considered to be a much better prospect NOW.

This is where Buc Fan fails. We keep fishing. Hoping. Praying. MAYBE this guy will eventually turn into something because we NEED a guy at ____ position.

Maybe we draft Nelson. Bring in (or draft...because good centers can be found in the 4th round...right?) a center. Move Marpet back to RG.

Think of the drives that can be extended because of an improved O-line. The improvement in the running game. The addition by subtracting Sweezy. He'll most likely be cut btw so whateves.

But yeah...let's take the project that we can get at 20 because we HAVE TO HAVE A DE AT 7!!11!!!!111

Sounds legit.
Alpha

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:27 am

Or he could have been looked at extensively and they feel they are making the right move. We toss the coin in the air, there's always another pick that could have been made.

It is always what eleven is going to get the job done.

The crew we are continually building around McCoy isnt or hasnt and it has been built into a long run of failure.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:41 am

If either excel I'll be happy, if the next pick is great we did our job.

Can you imagine the announcers saying the Bucs have exploded into the 2018 season with a number of picks doing a great job but what this fifth rounder is doing is a complete surprise. "you better watch out for these Bucs cuz there comin"...
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:07 am

I would think sometime or another the process of talk will begin to focus on left tackles and who is going after them. If you dont go after them it means your staying with what you got.

Will Mary Jane and Terry find our replacement ------------- stay tuned.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 am

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:

I clearly stated that this was according to McShay. I'm assuming he's studied these players more than you or I. I've never seen the guy take a snap.

What you're saying is that you would rather take the 2nd or 3rd best DE prospect, who may or may not turn out to be good in a few years, over a guy who is clearly considered to be a much better prospect NOW.

This is where Buc Fan fails. We keep fishing. Hoping. Praying. MAYBE this guy will eventually turn into something because we NEED a guy at ____ position.

Maybe we draft Nelson. Bring in (or draft...because good centers can be found in the 4th round...right?) a center. Move Marpet back to RG.

Think of the drives that can be extended because of an improved O-line. The improvement in the running game. The addition by subtracting Sweezy. He'll most likely be cut btw so whateves.

But yeah...let's take the project that we can get at 20 because we HAVE TO HAVE A DE AT 7!!11!!!!111

Sounds legit.

It doesn't matter if Davenport is the 2nd or 3rd best "DE" prospect. That's irrelevant. That doesn't matter to anyone but the people who write the bullshit post-draft team grade blogs. And I don't like him because he's a defensive end. I don't believe in reaching. But I do believe in risk management. He has the physical tools to develop into one of the best 4-3 ends in the league. If you're giving me a 50% shot at a 15 sack end, I'm going to take that over a 75% shot at a Pro Bowl guard, because for the upteenth time, a guard's impact on an offense is limited. Otherwise, he'd be a tackle.

As for this BPA bullshit, Licht is clearly a BPA drafter. The result? It's been four years and we still can't rush the passer or cover anyone, because we keep drafting tight ends and safeties and scatbacks and linebackers because they're the "BPA." If you want to win the "Best collection of talent" bowl, good luck with that. I want to win football games. Until we get to the quarterback, that's not going to happen.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 am

MJW wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Sounds legit.

It doesn't matter if Davenport is the 2nd or 3rd best "DE" prospect. That's irrelevant. That doesn't matter to anyone but the people who write the bullshit post-draft team grade blogs. And I don't like him because he's a defensive end. I don't believe in reaching. But I do believe in risk management. He has the physical tools to develop into one of the best 4-3 ends in the league. If you're giving me a 50% shot at a 15 sack end, I'm going to take that over a 75% shot at a Pro Bowl guard, because for the upteenth time, a guard's impact on an offense is limited. Otherwise, he'd be a tackle.

As for this BPA bullshit, Licht is clearly a BPA drafter. The result? It's been four years and we still can't rush the passer or cover anyone, because we keep drafting tight ends and safeties and scatbacks and linebackers because they're the "BPA." If you want to win the "Best collection of talent" bowl, good luck with that. I want to win football games. Until we get to the quarterback, that's not going to happen.

Interesting you mention this...the local hacks have Chris Landry on once a week (look him up).

A couple of weeks ago he made an interesting comment. He said (paraphrasing) that the Bucs had a lot of talent but weren't built well. It wasn't a "complimentary" rebuild. Don't know what that means...but an interesting comment...

We simply have a philosophical difference. I would NEVER take a guy who has a "shot" at being a "great" DE over a guy who is a "generational" OL. Guard or not. And by taking a risk on Davenport, you in fact DO believe in "reaching". You're percentages are pulled straight out of your ass.

What if your percentages were different? What if the likelyhood of Davenport turning into a 15+ sack guy were 10% and Nelson turning into an annual Pro Bowl LG 85%? My percentages mean just as much as yours. Where's your "risk management" now?

And before you kill Licht...ignore the Arguayo fiasco...look what he had to work with, when he got here. You people don't remember (or seem to forget), there was a plan in place upon his hire (this was even mentioned by Licht when Lovie was hired). 2 years to re-build the offense. 2 years to re-build the defense. When he arrived...we had nearly bupkis. That was the plan when Lovie took the job. The plan got shit-canned when Tedford "got sick". That doesn't mean the plan was wrong.

We had GARBAGE for talent 4 years ago. We were talent STARVED. NOBODY can argue that we haven't aquired talent since. Rome wasn't re-built in a day. It's convenient to poo-poo the organization when teams like LA and PHIL are so successful (seemingly) overnight. The facts are different but whateves. Think what you like.

Regardless...I take Nelson 100 times out of 100 over a project like Davenport. And i think MOST rational people would.
Alpha

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:20 am

Regardless...I take Nelson 100 times out of 100 over a project like Davenport. And i think MOST rational people would.

I'm torn on the decision. If you take Chubb/Barkley/Fitz out of the equation our draft has changed to something less than stellar. I think Chubb was the optimal pick for us. Anyways, if you dont take the next option at DE, you might be giving up option 2,3,4, and even 5. (DE'S/DT's)

If you go with Nelson you think alright now all of a sudden a couple more offensive linemen could be added to our draft. If you do that you just gave up the prime cornerbacks.

Take DE, will the depth of talent in the draft be able to turn into a great player for us.

After the the first 2 or 3 cornerbacks are gone, will whats left make a huge difference

Safety, its a short list right?

It will be easy to drift away from picking the trench players into hodge podge picks all over just to add to our roster or fill need of players not getting a 2nd contract.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 am

Chubb is my #1 due to the position he plays.

If he's off the board there are 3 others that I'd be equally thrilled about at 7th overall. Nelson, Barkley, Fitz.

If the Bucs miss on all 4 of those prospects I want to trade down if at all possible.

Worst case scenario imho is drafting someone not in that group of 4 at 7th overall.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 am

DreadNaught wrote:Chubb is my #1 due to the position he plays.

If he's off the board there are 3 others that I'd be equally thrilled about at 7th overall. Nelson, Barkley, Fitz.

If the Bucs miss on all 4 of those prospects I want to trade down if at all possible.

Worst case scenario imho is drafting someone not in that group of 4 at 7th overall.

These informal groupings that develop...they usually don't end up meaning much. Remember 2012? There was a six-person top tier: Luck, RGIII, Richardson, Khalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne. After that it was a crapshoot. Well, that group held and were the first six picks. 3 of them were busts and two of them have been disappointing. In the NEXT six picks, we saw a future Hall Of Famer (Kuechly), two Pro-Bowlers (Stephon Gilmore and Dontari Poe) and one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL (Fletcher Cox.)

It's easy to get caught up in that, like Fitzpatrick and Nelson or whoever are far-and-away better prospects than the next few guys who might be available. But it doesn't usually work out like that.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 am

DN, I have some thoughts from the beginning of last season till now.

Defensive line - we thought we solidified it and there was clamoring of Spence getting 10 plus, now were at less than before 2017 even started. If anyone got better it was extremely minimal.

RB - we were optimistic, now the thoughts are we have next to nothing (blow it all up)

CB - early on we knew we were lacking

S - improved to get by.

OL - we knew it wasnt nothing fancy, but I didnt know we couldnt even run block.

Now the strength of the team WR/TE is going to get uprooted because you dont pay money for only X amount of plays.

Its kind of hard to figure out a draft when you dont know how much of this team is getting blown up.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 am

One other thing our linebackers due to poor D-line play or poor secondary play constantly look iffy. Dropping back into coverage, at times big runs happen. Try to cover that, then the constant pass completions happen. Didnt reflect to a strong strength for us last year.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am

MJW wrote:

These informal groupings that develop...they usually don't end up meaning much. Remember 2012? There was a six-person top tier: Luck, RGIII, Richardson, Khalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne. After that it was a crapshoot. Well, that group held and were the first six picks. 3 of them were busts and two of them have been disappointing. In the NEXT six picks, we saw a future Hall Of Famer (Kuechly), two Pro-Bowlers (Stephon Gilmore and Dontari Poe) and one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL (Fletcher Cox.)

It's easy to get caught up in that, like Fitzpatrick and Nelson or whoever are far-and-away better prospects than the next few guys who might be available. But it doesn't usually work out like that.

Meh. Look at 2016, with Bosa, Ramsey, Elliott. After Tunsil (who fucked himself), and the QBs, that was the clear top tier and all three of those guys are stars. I think this class compares to that class quite well, though this class is deeper at QB which will hopefully push one of those guys to 7.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 am

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Meh. Look at 2016, with Bosa, Ramsey, Elliott. After Tunsil (who fucked himself), and the QBs, that was the clear top tier and all three of those guys are stars. I think this class compares to that class quite well, though this class is deeper at QB which will hopefully push one of those guys to 7.

She's actually right. It usually doesn't work out that way. Very easy to say in February "I think this class compares to that class" because there's nothing to prove you wrong yet. When you don't know much you can take that position because it's low risk at this point. Only time will tell.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Meh. Look at 2016, with Bosa, Ramsey, Elliott. After Tunsil (who fucked himself), and the QBs, that was the clear top tier and all three of those guys are stars. I think this class compares to that class quite well, though this class is deeper at QB which will hopefully push one of those guys to 7.

She's actually right. It usually doesn't work out that way. Very easy to say in February "I think this class compares to that class" because there's nothing to prove you wrong yet. When you don't know much you can take that position because it's low risk at this point. Only time will tell.

Time will tell, but there are obvious parallels between Bosa/Ramsey/Elliott and Chubb/Fitz/Barkley. And I think the point here is that if you have the 7th pick, you're hoping for one of those guys.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Time will tell, but there are obvious parallels between Bosa/Ramsey/Elliott and Chubb/Fitz/Barkley. And I think the point here is that if you have the 7th pick, you're hoping for one of those guys.

The only obvious parallels are they play the same positions. That's it. Casuals like you pretend you have a crystal ball to see into the future. No one with a brain calls the 3 guys yet to be drafted guarantees to be Pro-Bowl players by year 2 like the former 3. They could all be great or they could all be busts. No one knows. Well, except you, k!ddo.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:51 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Time will tell, but there are obvious parallels between Bosa/Ramsey/Elliott and Chubb/Fitz/Barkley. And I think the point here is that if you have the 7th pick, you're hoping for one of those guys.

The only obvious parallels are they play the same positions. That's it. Casuals like you pretend you have a crystal ball to see into the future. No one with a brain calls the 3 guys yet to be drafted guarantees to be Pro-Bowl players by year 2 like the former 3. They could all be great or they could all be busts. No one knows. Well, except you, k!ddo.

We're talking about 2 years ago. I clearly remember my scouting reports for those 3 guys. The grades and breakdowns are eerily similar.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

We're talking about 2 years ago. I clearly remember my scouting reports for those 3 guys. The grades and breakdowns are eerily similar.

Similar. Parallel. But no guarantee. No matter what your scouting reports, breakdowns and grades say. And considering the players involved if they compare to you that's information that's only useful to you and anyone who doesn't care to know about football. They don't compare to their counterparts at all. You being wrong is nothing new so I'll let you have fun with whatever it is you do. It's cute and funny seeing you be so wrong all the time, k!ddo.

Carry on, I'm done with you.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:13 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We're talking about 2 years ago. I clearly remember my scouting reports for those 3 guys. The grades and breakdowns are eerily similar.

Similar. Parallel. But no guarantee. No matter what your scouting reports, breakdowns and grades say. And considering the players involved if they compare to you that's information that's only useful to you and anyone who doesn't care to know about football. They don't compare to their counterparts at all. You being wrong is nothing new so I'll let you have fun with whatever it is you do. It's cute and funny seeing you be so wrong all the time, k!ddo.

Carry on, I'm done with you.

You really are a clown. I never said "guarantee" you goof. Just saying the prospects are similar...

And I really, really hope you aren't bullshitting about the last part. Don't quote me again.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 am

Now they are having Chubb go to the Colts and Davenport go to the Jets.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 am

And we are left with this!

3 RB SAQUON BARKLEY - PENN STATE
7 RB DERRIUS GUICE - LSU
8 OT MIKE MCGLINCHEY - NOTRE DAME
10 G QUENTON NELSON - NOTRE DAME
11 LB ROQUAN SMITH - GEORGIA
12 S DERWIN JAMES - FLORIDA STATE

What would the Bears give us for the pick of that litter?
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:30 am

Who is better - Jeff Holland or Dorance Armstrong.

Who is better - Chad Thomas or Marcell Frazier.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 am

mdb1958 wrote:And we are left with this!

7 RB DERRIUS GUICE - LSU

It depends on the rest of the board.

I'd move down a spot for something reasonable, then take Saquon or Nelson.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:59 am

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:And we are left with this!

7 RB DERRIUS GUICE - LSU

It depends on the rest of the board.

I'd move down a spot for something reasonable, then take Saquon or Nelson.

Same.

Totally on the same boat. As long as we get one of those four, I can walk away super happy. Missing out on those 4 would be as much of a heartbreak as missing out on Vilma (really wanted him) or maybe Joe Thomas/Calvin Johnson. Passing on one of those four would be like when we passed on Steven Jackson.
Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk