The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 am

Alpha wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Chubb is my #1 due to the position he plays.

If he's off the board there are 3 others that I'd be equally thrilled about at 7th overall. Nelson, Barkley, Fitz.

If the Bucs miss on all 4 of those prospects I want to trade down if at all possible.

Worst case scenario imho is drafting someone not in that group of 4 at 7th overall.


Why on earth do you people keep posting?

You're an idiot. Just...stop.

Hey! Maybe we can trade down to Buffallo and then we trade both first rounders to Cleveland for their #1 and then we trade that pick...

Just please...stfu.


lmfao bro your drunk ass is the worst, stop embarrassing yourself with your 2 am drivel
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Not sure I get the hatred of trading down. It's almost always the correct play.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Super K » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Naismith wrote:Not sure I get the hatred of trading down. It's almost always the correct play.


On the flip side, I don't get why some folks are so enamored with trading down and "stockpiling picks" or "ensuring you select your guy at the right value" spot..

If you love/like a guy take him..as MB has said, MULTIPLE TIMES, if that player won't be around the next time you pick, it's not a reach...

And honestly, who gives a **** if that player WILL be around?..the draft is about adding players to your team that you, your staff and your scouts like...not Walterfootball, not Mel Kiper and not another team...the whole "value" thing is smoke and mirrors because over 50% of what is said/projected turns out to be horseshit anyway..
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 6480
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Super K wrote:
Naismith wrote:Not sure I get the hatred of trading down. It's almost always the correct play.


ensuring you select your guy at the right value" spot..

If you love/like a guy take him..as MB has said, MULTIPLE TIMES, if that player won't be around the next time you pick, it's not a reach...


We agree here. You take your guy when you can take him. Trying to hit the perfect spot is just silly.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:56 pm

We all wrote off Mike McGlinchey a long time ago. Somebody out there hasn't.

How far does he fall?
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 11144
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 564 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:We all wrote off Mike McGlinchey a long time ago. Somebody out there hasn't.

How far does he fall?


I'm dying to hear why he's been written off. Sounds like Cheb's handy work.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21682
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We all wrote off Mike McGlinchey a long time ago. Somebody out there hasn't.

How far does he fall?


I'm dying to hear why he's been written off. Sounds like Cheb's handy work.

You haven't mentioned McGlinchey as an option at #7. Care to make the case?
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 11144
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 564 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
I'm dying to hear why he's been written off. Sounds like Cheb's handy work.

You haven't mentioned McGlinchey as an option at #7. Care to make the case?


I don't think he's as good as the others at his position so he won't be in my top 7. I'm assuming by writing him off though you mean people have wiped out all possibility of him being a good NFL player.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21682
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You haven't mentioned McGlinchey as an option at #7. Care to make the case?


I don't think he's as good as the others at his position so he won't be in my top 7. I'm assuming by writing him off though you mean people have wiped out all possibility of him being a good NFL player.

No, not at all.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 11144
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 564 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 pm

I personally view McGlinchey as a nice ball of clay. Cheb doesn't like him because his technique is crap. But if you want an LT, and you're willing to coach the guy up, he has a pretty rare combination of length, strength, and agility. Maybe not a top 10 guy, but I could see him going in the the teens assuming he passes as coachable during interviews...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 806 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:56 am

If Chubb goes to a 3-4 team what position does he play? Does he play DE for 2 downs and then move to linebacker/edge rusher on 3rd down.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 am

Josh McDaniels: will I have any say on who we draft this year?

Colts: well, uhh, your new coach - maybe next year

Josh McDaniels: that aint workin for me bro.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:37 pm

I looked at two fresh mocks this morning and they have us taking Guice and Landry.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:11 pm

meh
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 4398
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby MJW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 pm

For the folks who thought the Colts were a bad fit for Chubb because they're a 3-4: They're switching to a 4-3 this year.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 8084
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:46 pm

Ya I think that's the end of the Chubb dream...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 806 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:03 am

real bucs fan wrote:Ya I think that's the end of the Chubb dream...


For the Colts sake, I hope so. They're a lot like us. They need to rebuild their lines. Chubb would be a great start for them. I have no love for their team, but the way they were mismanaged by Ryan Grigson was dreadful.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 8084
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am

If they are switching to a 43 then they'd be dumb to pass on Chubb. I just hope we don't draft a project DE at 7 just to take one while passing on top shelf talent at a different line position.
Sammich
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am

Sammich wrote:If they are switching to a 43 then they'd be dumb to pass on Chubb. I just hope we don't draft a project DE at 7 just to take one while passing on top shelf talent at a different line position.


I think Chubb to the Colts is most likely. But I could see them investing heavy on offense to protect Andrew Luck, whether that be Nelson or Barkley. It wouldn't surprise me.

If by some chance the Colts go offense at 3rd overall I think there is 50/50 chance Chubb makes it to 7. I think the Browns are going QB and then either Fitz/Barkley. Giants will draft a QB also, Same with Denver, Jets may also.

We need teams drafting in front of the Bucs to NOT sign Cousins and to fall in love with Mayfield and Josh Allen. I think Rosen and Darnold are already locks to go before 7th overall. Luckily it's a QB rich draft class and alot of QB needy teams in front of us.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 11192
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 454 times
Been thanked: 474 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Doctor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Sammich wrote:If they are switching to a 43 then they'd be dumb to pass on Chubb. I just hope we don't draft a project DE at 7 just to take one while passing on top shelf talent at a different line position.


I think Chubb to the Colts is most likely. But I could see them investing heavy on offense to protect Andrew Luck, whether that be Nelson or Barkley. It wouldn't surprise me.

If by some chance the Colts go offense at 3rd overall I think there is 50/50 chance Chubb makes it to 7. I think the Browns are going QB and then either Fitz/Barkley. Giants will draft a QB also, Same with Denver, Jets may also.

We need teams drafting in front of the Bucs to NOT sign Cousins and to fall in love with Mayfield and Josh Allen. I think Rosen and Darnold are already locks to go before 7th overall. Luckily it's a QB rich draft class and alot of QB needy teams in front of us.

Very unlikely that Cousins goes to a team that's behind us. I mean, who? Bills? Cardinals? Saints? Steelers? Jags? Vikings?
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4969
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:03 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:What TE is the first off the board?

Mark Andrews from Oklahoma.

He's a stud.



``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

27. Saints: Dallas Goedert, Tight End, South Dakota State
The Saints were a play away from the conference championship game. The team is pretty much complete so this is a luxury pick for them. Drew Brees was at his greatest when he had a Jimmy Graham at TE. This pick could be the next graham.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am

1/28: Saquon Barkley is in play for the Colts' No. 3 overall pick. - Mike Wells, ESPN
It's more of a question as to whether Barkley will be available rather than if he'll be the pick if he is. Barkley could go first or second overall, and No. 3 seems like his floor. Wells says that Bradley Chubb would be the pick if Barkley weren't available. -Walter


1/28: Sources with the Buccaneers believe that Quenton Nelson could become the best guard in the NFL in the near future. - Charlie Campbell, WalterFootball.com
Tampa Bay also loves Bradley Chubb and Saquon Barkley, but both will likely be gone by No. 7 overall. Nelson could be available, and he would make sense as the pick. The Buccaneers need to win in 2018, and to do so, they'll have to prepare Jameis Winston. -Walter
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4969
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Doctor wrote:1/28: Saquon Barkley is in play for the Colts' No. 3 overall pick. - Mike Wells, ESPN
It's more of a question as to whether Barkley will be available rather than if he'll be the pick if he is. Barkley could go first or second overall, and No. 3 seems like his floor. Wells says that Bradley Chubb would be the pick if Barkley weren't available. -Walter


1/28: Sources with the Buccaneers believe that Quenton Nelson could become the best guard in the NFL in the near future. - Charlie Campbell, WalterFootball.com
Tampa Bay also loves Bradley Chubb and Saquon Barkley, but both will likely be gone by No. 7 overall. Nelson could be available, and he would make sense as the pick. The Buccaneers need to win in 2018, and to do so, they'll have to prepare Jameis Winston. -Walter


If the Giants go QB or trade the pick to someone who goes QB and the Colts take Barkley, you are still going to have to trade up for Chubb I think. Instead of trading from 5 back to 7 like we did with Barron, reverse it.

If I’m the Browns I take Chubb at 4 even if Barkley is still there. The fact that they already have Garrett should be even more motivation to do it.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Doctor wrote:1/28: Saquon Barkley is in play for the Colts' No. 3 overall pick. - Mike Wells, ESPN
It's more of a question as to whether Barkley will be available rather than if he'll be the pick if he is. Barkley could go first or second overall, and No. 3 seems like his floor. Wells says that Bradley Chubb would be the pick if Barkley weren't available. -Walter


1/28: Sources with the Buccaneers believe that Quenton Nelson could become the best guard in the NFL in the near future. - Charlie Campbell, WalterFootball.com
Tampa Bay also loves Bradley Chubb and Saquon Barkley, but both will likely be gone by No. 7 overall. Nelson could be available, and he would make sense as the pick. The Buccaneers need to win in 2018, and to do so, they'll have to prepare Jameis Winston. -Walter


If the Giants go QB or trade the pick to someone who goes QB and the Colts take Barkley, you are still going to have to trade up for Chubb I think. Instead of trading from 5 back to 7 like we did with Barron, reverse it.

If I’m the Browns I take Chubb at 4 even if Barkley is still there. The fact that they already have Garrett should be even more motivation to do it.

They've already invested five top picks into the DL over the last three years- Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Nassib, Myles Garrett, all of whom are still on the team and still very young. I'd be shocked if they drop a #4 overall on Chubb. Meanwhile getting a super RB to help out your rookie QB is a very popular idea right now. It's a copycat league. Ultimately I see the Browns trading out of the #4 spot.
Last edited by Doctor on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4969
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Doc, correct your post to DL instead of OL.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 am

Doctor wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
If the Giants go QB or trade the pick to someone who goes QB and the Colts take Barkley, you are still going to have to trade up for Chubb I think. Instead of trading from 5 back to 7 like we did with Barron, reverse it.

If I’m the Browns I take Chubb at 4 even if Barkley is still there. The fact that they already have Garrett should be even more motivation to do it.

They've already invested five top picks into the DL over the last three years- Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Nassib, Myles Garrett, all of whom are still on the team and still very young. I'd be shocked if they drop a #4 overall on Chubb. Meanwhile getting a super RB to help out your rookie QB is a very popular idea right now. It's a copycat league. Ultimately I see the Browns trading out of the #4 spot.


Just saying what I would do. I think it possible they trade down as well. Maybe the team trading into 4 takes Chubb? I would be surprised if Mayfield is drafted before Chubb; I think less QBs will get selected before 7 than we hope, unfortunately.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby MJW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 am

Doctor wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
If the Giants go QB or trade the pick to someone who goes QB and the Colts take Barkley, you are still going to have to trade up for Chubb I think. Instead of trading from 5 back to 7 like we did with Barron, reverse it.

If I’m the Browns I take Chubb at 4 even if Barkley is still there. The fact that they already have Garrett should be even more motivation to do it.

They've already invested five top picks into the DL over the last three years- Danny Shelton, Nate Orchard, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Nassib, Myles Garrett, all of whom are still on the team and still very young. I'd be shocked if they drop a #4 overall on Chubb. Meanwhile getting a super RB to help out your rookie QB is a very popular idea right now. It's a copycat league. Ultimately I see the Browns trading out of the #4 spot.


There are some sunk costs there. Orchard and Nassib are complete busts. The jury is out on Ogbah (I was a fan heading into that draft and I still am.) Shelton isn't the same thing as Chubb, and Garrett plays on one side. I don't think any of this precludes them drafting Chubb if they like him.

Most likely? They draft a QB and Barkley, though I think Roquan Smith is an interesting possibility too. I'm going to keep Chubb to the Colts until I have a reason to think otherwise.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 8084
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 am

MJW wrote:For the folks who thought the Colts were a bad fit for Chubb because they're a 3-4: They're switching to a 4-3 this year.


OK, but by chance they go with someone else, time and time again I see mocks having the Jets pick him (Chubb) right before us. Bootz is right about things changing by draft day (at least on paper). My hope is all the talking heads start promoting offensive linemen and linebackers because they had a great showing at the combine. Fast LB's,CB's, WR's -- anything to take away some of this "the whole league is thinking about DE stuff".
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Nano » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Oh they will. You'll have a couple guys become rising gems because they're fast
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 6925
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Let’s address that second blurb by Charlie Campbell about the Bucs loving Nelson. At first, I just dismissed it out of hand as I see no evidence that we actually would take him at 7.

But the Marpet move may help us here. With his hyper-sensitive ego, we all know the last thing Koetter is going to want to do is admit he made a mistake. If we go into next year with the same lineup at OL, chances are fairly high that we will suck just like last year. Factor in injuries, chances grow higher that the Marpet experiment will look like a bad idea, and pressure could mount to move him back. I don’t think Koetter will be peppered with questions at PCs about moving Marpet with Nelson on the team, especially if he injects some juice in the line and it starts blocking better as a unit.

So maybe a generational G who could help Marpet thrive and actually deliver a push in the run game will be viewed favorably by this FO high in the 1st? One can only hope.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 2559
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 41 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests