The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:39 am

SIBucsFan wrote:If the Bucs totally surprised everyone (I'm guessing it would be a surprise, seeing as how I have not seen a single link between him and the Bucs--correct me if I'm wrong) and selected Tremaine Edmunds at #7, would everyone be upset?

-6-5, 253 lbs., with the frame to add on some more weight as a 4-3 DE
-4.54 40-yard dash
-83"(!) arm span, according to Gil Brandt
-Turning 20 on May 2nd; not a mistake, he's only 19 years old as of this post

By all accounts he has potential through the roof, but I see his potential referred to in the context of a 3-4 OLB and don't see him mentioned a whole lot as a 4-3 DE since that was not his position at VT.

Would Edmunds, potential and all, be too much of a project for Koetter and Licht to take a chance on at 7 with their jobs seemingly on-the-line for 2018? Would you be upset if they went with him?

I wouldn't He's a beast. It's all about BPA and he's really up there. I think he's right behind Chubbs on the second tier of talent. Also really like Smith too.
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:39 am

**UPDATED NFL RUMORS**
Source: Colts are taking calls on #6 overall pick with multiple teams interested in moving up. So far Dolphins and Bears are showing most interest. Bills and Patriots could jump in if targeted player(s) are on board

Tell y'all, Bears want to hop us for Nelson. Bank on it.
Doctor

Postby theBKwhopper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 am

How in the world could the Patriots get that pick???
theBKwhopper

Postby Cheb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 am

theBKwhopper wrote:How in the world could the Patriots get that pick???

Per the trade chart, #6 overall is worth 1600. The Pats' two first rounders (#23 and #31) are worth 1360 (760+600). Add in one of their two second round picks and there you have it.

If they do trade up, they'd do it for Chubb.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Cheb wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:How in the world could the Patriots get that pick???

Per the trade chart, #6 overall is worth 1600. The Pats' two first rounders (#23 and #31) are worth 1360 (760+600). Add in one of their two second round picks and there you have it.

If they do trade up, they'd do it for Chubb.

That's what one would think, but apparently BB is infatuated with Josh Rosen
real bucs fan

Postby Nano » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Reports heating up that the Giants are taking Barkley at 2nd overall. As for the Bucs...seems like the overall popular pick right now is Derwin James.
Nano

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I've been saying Barkley to the Giants for a while but hopefully it's a smokescreen lol
real bucs fan

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:42 pm

Nano wrote:Reports heating up that the Giants are taking Barkley at 2nd overall. As for the Bucs...seems like the overall popular pick right now is Derwin James.

I predicted James to Tampa months ago. The fact that many mocks are still predicting it makes me think it might be becoming more inevitable. I don’t think it would be a bad pick but it wouldn’t excite me. We really didn’t need to complete that prayer to Godwin in the last game, probably would have gotten one of Chubb, Nelson or Barkley without it.
Brazen331

Postby Naismith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 pm

I don't believe the Patriots would trade up that far for any position other than a QB.

I don't believe the Giants are even considering Barkley at number two.
Naismith

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Why hasnt the focus turned from guard to offensive tackle? Derwin? 3 years from now he prolly be 230 lbs. Any Seminole would be stupid.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:30 am

mdb1958 wrote:Why hasnt the focus turned from guard to offensive tackle? Derwin? 3 years from now he prolly be 230 lbs. Any Seminole would be stupid.

Because this OT class is weak.

Would you guys drop down to the bottom of the round of the parts offered us their to three picks for #7?
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:49 am

Doctor wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Why hasnt the focus turned from guard to offensive tackle? Derwin? 3 years from now he prolly be 230 lbs. Any Seminole would be stupid.

Would you guys drop down to the bottom of the round of the parts offered us their to three picks for #7?

For #23, #31, and a second rounder? Hell yeah.

I love the top four non-QBs (Nelson/Chubb/Barkley/Minkah), but if you could trade one of them for a trio such as Taven Bryan, Isaiah Wynn, and Rashaad Penny, would you? I sure would.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 am

real bucs fan wrote:I've been saying Barkley to the Giants for a while but hopefully it's a smokescreen lol

I don't believe anything I hear this close to the draft. This is the time where most information is intentionally leaked vice actual insight.

I'd be very surprised if the Giants didn't draft a QB should they stay at 2. If they're targeting Barkley or Chubb they could've traded down w/ the Jets and still got one, or settled for Nelson. I also don't see the logic in trading away JPP just so you can draft a very similar 4-3 type DE like Chubb, especially if they are in 'win now' mode w/ Eli. Perhaps they are holding out for a trade w/ the Bills still. But if the Giants stick and pick at 2nd overall I can't see it being anything other than a QB.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:01 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I've been saying Barkley to the Giants for a while but hopefully it's a smokescreen lol

I don't believe anything I hear this close to the draft. This is the time where most information is intentionally leaked vice actual insight.

I'd be very surprised if the Giants didn't draft a QB should they stay at 2. If they're targeting Barkley or Chubb they could've traded down w/ the Jets and still got one, or settled for Nelson. I also don't see the logic in trading away JPP just so you can draft a very similar 4-3 type DE like Chubb, especially if they are in 'win now' mode w/ Eli. Perhaps they are holding out for a trade w/ the Bills still. But if the Giants stick and pick at 2nd overall I can't see it being anything other than a QB.

I see a slim chance the Giants think they have the core for an overnight turnaround, and see Barkley as a part of that.

This would be short-sided stupidness of the highest order, and it has nothing to do with loving or hating Barkley. Your QB is 37. You're going to have your pick of 3 QB prospects, many of whom are considered franchise level talents. You don't take a running back instead.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am

Doctor wrote:

Are you saying none will/would take the starting OT jobs from our team?
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Doctor wrote:Because this OT class is weak.

Are you saying none will/would take the starting OT jobs from our team?

omg please don't start that again
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:12 am

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I see a slim chance the Giants think they have the core for an overnight turnaround, and see Barkley as a part of that.

This would be short-sided stupidness of the highest order, and it has nothing to do with loving or hating Barkley. Your QB is 37. You're going to have your pick of 3 QB prospects, many of whom are considered franchise level talents. You don't take a running back instead.

Yup, the Giants are not a franchise that traditionally finds itself drafting this high. Their GM (Gettlemen) has already been fired once and knows he won't be the GM if the Giants are drafting this high again and in need of a QB, so take your franchise/QBOTF now when you're already in position to do so and have some good options given the QB class available.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 am

Who are your top 5 CB's in the back of the draft that could turn into steals?

Mine

Danny Johnson
Parry Nickerson
Davontae Harris
Tavierre Thomas
BJ Clay
mdb1958

Postby Naismith » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:50 am

If the Giants stay at two and draft a RB, it has to be the most sudden and depressing realization that the team is screwed from the top down. I think the first realistic stop for Barkley is at 5 to the Broncos and even that seems really unlikely.
Naismith

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:47 pm

No way Giants take Barkley at 2 . Like DN said earlier , believe nothing you hear right now .
Giants would love the Browns to take Barkley #1 , then Giants can pick any Qb they want .
Jason Bourne

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:39 pm

The Giants are taking Barkley at number 2.
beardmcdoug

Postby Teitan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:06 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:The Giants are taking Barkley at number 2.

I don’t think so. Take the QB. Sign CJ Anderson. Let the kid learn behind Eli.
Teitan

Postby MJW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:37 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
MJW wrote:

Yup, the Giants are not a franchise that traditionally finds itself drafting this high. Their GM (Gettlemen) has already been fired once and knows he won't be the GM if the Giants are drafting this high again and in need of a QB, so take your franchise/QBOTF now when you're already in position to do so and have some good options given the QB class available.

Yeah, exactly. You're simply not going to get this opportunity that often. For as bad as we've been over the last 15 years, we've had exactly one chance to draft a guy everyone considered a franchise talent heading into the draft (Jameis, obviously.) The Giants are unlikely to be this bad again. You don't want to be picking 14th or 19th or whatever needing to find a franchise QB. Lots of teams have been in that trap for years and years.

FWIW, I really don't think they will pass on a QB, but obviously Gettleman isn't going to say that. At this point I'll be somewhat shocked if QBs don't go 1-2-3.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:58 am

Here is where I'm at currently:

1) IF Q. Nelson is available, I think he's the pick. Ultimately...I don't think he's there. Same with Chubb.

2) What gets interesting is IF Barkley IS there. I think it's possible. IF he is....I'd pass but I don't know if the Bucs will.

3) ASSUMING that Barkley, Nelson AND Chubb are gone...AND we can't trade down...I'd go CB. Ward out of OSU. CLEARLY, CB is a bigger need than Safety...unless they think Fits can play outside...and I doubt he can. Personally, I believe that Fitz or Devin are the better prospects but I think NEED trumps potential here. We play Ward on the outside and VH3 in the slot...and I think our defensive backfield just got a LOT better.

It'll be interesting. Especially if we move down a few spots and pick up the 3rd that we gave up for JPP. I'd feel a LOT better grabbing a CB at say, 12, than 7.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:03 am

Alpha wrote:Here is where I'm at currently:

1) IF Q. Nelson is available, I think he's the pick. Ultimately...I don't think he's there. Same with Chubb.

2) What gets interesting is IF Barkley IS there. I think it's possible. IF he is....I'd pass but I don't know if the Bucs will.

3) ASSUMING that Barkley, Nelson AND Chubb are gone...AND we can't trade down...I'd go CB. Ward out of OSU. CLEARLY, CB is a bigger need than Safety...unless they think Fits can play outside...and I doubt he can. Personally, I believe that Fitz or Devin are the better prospects but I think NEED trumps potential here. We play Ward on the outside and VH3 in the slot...and I think our defensive backfield just got a LOT better.

It'll be interesting. Especially if we move down a few spots and pick up the 3rd that we gave up for JPP. I'd feel a LOT better grabbing a CB at say, 12, than 7.

Yep. This
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 am

I'm a lot higher on Ward than some, but everything you're saying makes sense.

I hope Licht can pass on the obvious short-term appeal of Barkley and take Ward. But GMs do funny things when their jobs are on the line.
MJW

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am

MJW wrote:

I'm a lot higher on Ward than some, but everything you're saying makes sense.

I hope Licht can pass on the obvious short-term appeal of Barkley and take Ward. But GMs do funny things when their jobs are on the line.

I'd much rather have Ward/Landry and Guice than Barkley. All day.
Deja Entendu

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:00 am

From CBS

1 7 Derwin James, SS, Florida State
2 38 Connor Williams, OT, Texas
4 102 Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia from NYG
5 144 Avonte Maddox, CB, Pittsburgh
6 180 Trenton Thompson, DT, Georgia
6 202 Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma from PIT
7 255 Justin Lawler, DE, SMU

Good BYE Licht!

I would rather trade our entire draft for Chubb than end up with this.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 am

mdb1958 wrote:From CBS

Good BYE Licht!

That makes one of us.

Derwin James is a day one starter at strong safety. Connor Williams immediately challenges for that left guard position, and is the heir apparent for Dotson at right tackle. Nick Chubb would be the favorite to start at tailback. Maddox adds value CB depth, Thompson offers valuable snaps as a 3-tech, Flowers is a better version of Alan Cross, and Lawler churns the bottom of the roster as a rush end.

It's not my wet dream draft, but it would certainly get the job done.
Cheb

Postby Deuce » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:15 am

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:From CBS

Good BYE Licht!

That makes one of us.

Derwin James is a day one starter at strong safety. Connor Williams immediately challenges for that left guard position, and is the heir apparent for Dotson at right tackle. Nick Chubb would be the favorite to start at tailback. Maddox adds value CB depth, Thompson offers valuable snaps as a 3-tech, Flowers is a better version of Alan Cross, and Lawler churns the bottom of the roster as a rush end.

It's not my wet dream draft, but it would certainly get the job done.

Needs at least 3 more DE's to get the mdb stamp of approval.
Deuce

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk