The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:06 pm

Buc Nation has us get 3 picks in the first round.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:22 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Buc Nation has us get 3 picks in the first round.

Trade down with the Bills, getting both their firsts and a fourth. Get Derwin James at 12, Mike Hughes at 22, then trade up to 30 for Sony Michel for our second and that Bills fourth.

I don't hate the idea. But Hughes at 22, third corner off the board? Michel over Guice as the second runner off the board? Both of those are a bit of a stretch for me, and I criticize them as such.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:08 pm

I like those trades and position targets, Hughes I haven't really looked at too much though admittedly.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 am

I think the Bears would really want Nelson. Problem is they dont have any resources unless they dip into next year.

I dont see any way we get that 3rd rounder back.
mdb1958

Postby Hatter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 pm

mdb1958 wrote:I think the Bears would really want Nelson. Problem is they dont have any resources unless they dip into next year.

Seriously? ANY trade back scenario would get it back plus more. Even trading down in the 2nd alone would net that IMO.
Hatter

Postby Doctor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm

If by some horror we miss out of the big 4 I'm all for trading back.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Hatter wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:I think the Bears would really want Nelson. Problem is they dont have any resources unless they dip into next year.

Seriously? ANY trade back scenario would get it back plus more. Even trading down in the 2nd alone would net that IMO.

The Bears dont have a 3rd round draft pick.
mdb1958

Postby Hatter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Hatter wrote:

There must be some miscommunication here, the Bears weren't mentioned as a trade partner, just trading down in the 1st (or 2nd for that matter) to regain our missing 3rd rounder from any team.
Hatter

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:40 pm

You people are hilarious with your "trade back" scenarios.

We already have one where we get 3, first round picks.

Shocked we haven't seen one where we get 4.

LMFAO! You idiots are the BEST!
Alpha

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:15 am

Hatter wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

There must be some miscommunication here, the Bears weren't mentioned as a trade partner, just trading down in the 1st (or 2nd for that matter) to regain our missing 3rd rounder from any team.

The Bears are mentioned and my post was looking for the best return without trading down to far and eliminating to many players that we would want.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:17 am

Alpha wrote:You people are hilarious with your "trade back" scenarios.

We already have one where we get 3, first round picks.

Shocked we haven't seen one where we get 4.

LMFAO! You idiots are the BEST!

Alpha, I'm sending you some "nice" pills please disregard the instructions on the bottle and take four 6 times a day!
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Hatter wrote:
DreadNaught wrote: but unless a prospect is a no-brainer I'd be looking to move down in both rounds 1 and 2 if I'm Jason Licht. I'd rather get 4-5 players from Days 1-2 by moving down in the middle of those rounds instead of picking at 7 and 38 and only getting two players.

Solid post.. but the above is right on the money. I HOPE this is exactly how Licht feels. :drinkingcheers:

The problem is that there is so many no brainer players. If Nelson, Fitz, Chubbs, or Barkley is there at 7, which one likely will be, that's a no brainer. If Michel, Guice, or ....

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cornerback target may be a surprise
by James Yarcho2 minutes agoFollow @JYarcho_BUCS
TWEET
x
COMMENT
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are likely looking for an upgrade at cornerback in the upcoming draft. The player they have their eye on may not be who you expect.
It seems to be the general consensus that Ohio State Buckeye Denzel Ward is the top corner in this draft. You can read his draft profile here as yours truly – the card carrying Buckeye hater – is the one that reviewed the film and walked away more than impressed with Ward’s talent. For the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, however, they may be more impressed with some other corners in the upcoming draft. For instance, they will have Iowa corner Joshua Jackson coming in to visit and have already used a visit on Louisville corner Jaire Alexander – whose profile you can check out here.

From the sounds of it, if corner is the pick in the first round, the Buccaneers prefer Alexander over Ward.

According to Pewter Report’s Trevor Sikkema, Alexander is the guy despite multiple recent mock drafts have draft experts and pundits pairing the Bucs with a former Buck;

Alexander has plenty to be excited about. Even though he is another smaller corner – 5’11”, 190 lbs – Alexander is one of the most impressive athletes in the draft.

His career at Louisville ran into some injury issues, but Alexander finished with 77 tackles, fifteen passes defensed, seven interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in 29 games.

It seems more and more likely that, unless there is some shocker within the top six picks, the Buccaneers will walk away from day two of the draft having taken a cornerback and a running back in the first two rounds of the draft. They are bringing in numerous players at both positions and seem to be gearing their focus in that direction.

RELATED STORY: Jaire Alexander Draft Profile
It shouldn’t come as a surprise after a free agency period of addressing the trenches that corner and running back are the two glaring needs remaining on this team. The ideal situation is still to have either Bradley Chubb or Quenton Nelson fall to the Buccaneers at seven, but the growing feeling is that the neither will and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers can turn their attention to one of the dynamic backs or shut down corners in the first round.
Doctor

Postby Buc You » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:43 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Alpha, I'm sending you some "nice" pills please disregard the instructions on the bottle and take four 6 times a day!

Hopefully they're suppositories, or it's a no go.
Buc You

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Any of these guys coming back?

Robert McClain CB 29 TB TBD -
Charles Sims RB 27 TB TBD -
Jude Adjei-Barimah CB 25 TB TBD -
Ryan Russell DE 26 TB TBD
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Any of these guys coming back?

Robert McClain CB 29 TB TBD -
Charles Sims RB 27 TB TBD -
Jude Adjei-Barimah CB 25 TB TBD -
Ryan Russell DE 26 TB TBD

Not before the draft, I reckon.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Jason Bourne

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 am

There's no way if Nelson falls to us, we trade it away.Larry Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca , these guys blocked their teams right into Super Bowls. You have to protect Jameis, and give him time to let our vertical routes open up. Not to mention help with the running game.Desean Jackson getting behind coverage, Evans long jump balls, or OJ Howard getting downfield in the seam take time.God knows TO's by #3 would cause mass hysteria.If the line is dominant and running the ball down their throats the play action for all the forementioned routes become even easier.Red zone efficiency 7 instead of 3 all these lead to playing with a lead or not down two scores out of the gate. Thus allowing the defense to maybe mix things up instead of panic mode.Offense being balanced enough to attack opposing teams weak spot on defense, etc.IDC what the Bears offer.
LavonteDavid54

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 am

So what your saying is were not done building the greatest offense the Bucs have ever had, that still has trouble winning.

Cant figure out why
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 am

Where do the Bucs rank running outside the tackles?
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:56 am

LavonteDavid54 wrote:There's no way if Nelson falls to us, we trade it away.Larry Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca , these guys blocked their teams right into Super Bowls. You have to protect Jameis, and give him time to let our vertical routes open up. Not to mention help with the running game.Desean Jackson getting behind coverage, Evans long jump balls, or OJ Howard getting downfield in the seam take time.God knows TO's by #3 would cause mass hysteria.If the line is dominant and running the ball down their throats the play action for all the forementioned routes become even easier.Red zone efficiency 7 instead of 3 all these lead to playing with a lead or not down two scores out of the gate. Thus allowing the defense to maybe mix things up instead of panic mode.Offense being balanced enough to attack opposing teams weak spot on defense, etc.IDC what the Bears offer.

I agree but this is the Bucs. I could see Nelson and Barkley on the board and we pass on both for someone like James. :shock:
Doctor

Postby Nano » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 pm

So we used one of our 30 private visits on Gators K Pineiro. Looks like another 2nd round kicker boys
Nano

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Nano wrote:So we used one of our 30 private visits on Gators K Pineiro. Looks like another 2nd round kicker boys

I don’t believe for a second that we’ll draft him, but why waste one of our visits on a kicker??
PrimeMinister

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:55 pm

mdb1958 wrote:So what your saying is were not done building the greatest offense the Bucs have ever had, that still has trouble winning.

Cant figure out why

No dummy.

What he's saying is that you don't pass on (arguably) the best offensive player in the draft, to fulfill a perceived "need" with a lesser talent.

Shocking you don't get it, though.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Where do the Bucs rank running outside the tackles?

Depends on where you get your information:

Statistically, we suck.

According to PFF, Dotson is an All-Pro and Smith is one of the worst in the league.

By the "eye test"...we sucked last year.
Alpha

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Alpha wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:So what your saying is were not done building the greatest offense the Bucs have ever had, that still has trouble winning.

Cant figure out why

No dummy.

What he's saying is that you don't pass on (arguably) the best offensive player in the draft, to fulfill a perceived "need" with a lesser talent.

Then he is a highly valuable asset that could be acquired from us. People talk out of one side of their mouth one way and the other way says you would have to have a trade partner that would be willing to give you that 3rd rounder that wasnt any good in the first place in order to trade him.

Chicago will run a 2nd rounder right up to us - right?
mdb1958

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
No dummy.

Then he is a highly valuable asset that could be acquired from us. People talk out of one side of their mouth one way and the other way says you would have to have a trade partner that would be willing to give you that 3rd rounder that wasnt any good in the first place in order to trade him.

You are truly an idiot.

In EVERY sense of the word.
Alpha

Postby Hatter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 am

mdb1958 wrote:

Just for the sake of clarity, mdb why do you keep talking about Chicago being the trade partner we are trying to trade with and that they dont have a 3rd to give?
Several of us was only making the point of the actual "Trade Back " scenario with ANY TEAM to net us the 3rd we lost (plus anything extra to sweeten it).

Just curious.
Hatter

Postby MJW » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 am

I'm seriously wondering at this point if Lamar Jackson might be a trade-up possibility for some team, btw. It sounds vaguely nuts now, but so did two teams giving up 1st rounders for Mahomes and Watson this time last year.

I'm not a Jackson fan. To me he's the biggest project 1st rounder in the draft. But if a team like Buffalo or Miami misses out on "The Big Four," I could see it playing out.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:47 am

Hatter wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Just for the sake of clarity, mdb why do you keep talking about Chicago being the trade partner we are trying to trade with and that they dont have a 3rd to give?
Several of us was only making the point of the actual "Trade Back " scenario with ANY TEAM to net us the 3rd we lost (plus anything extra to sweeten it).

Just curious.

Just for giggles because there shouldnt be no way in hell it could happen. Take Barkley or Chubb or Nelson, most all of us would want Chubb, if you want anything else plus him you would sell one of the other two that happened to slip through. If it isnt Chicago - then you wont get either player by trading down. If Chubb could be our pick, nothing short of a kings ransom could pry him away. Chicago is a lousy trade partner for us and most BZers wouldnt trade back if any one of those players are there anyways. I would consider something from them (the Bears) if it was Barkley or Nelson.

Doesnt matter none of them should be there for us, QB's are going to be taken or these guys will be unless some team is thinking 2 or 3 years ahead and looking for a payout. That payout given would have to be us or we are SOL.

So here we are, 2 picks in the top 100 and we just bought a makeshift defensive line with a plethora of defensive tackles available in this draft. Pick whatever 2 position groups out of DE, DT, CB, RB, S, G, or T. Or trade down in the 1st and or 2nd and hope the players that line up for us pan out. It was always a fact that some of these positions werent going to get filled by the creme of the crop/or over hyped.

One more quip to add to you post, you start at the teams right below you (to get picks) because the farther you trade down the more targets you will eliminate. Eliminating targets is what keeps trades from happening.

One could wonder how much we could get, by however many trade backs and picking Jaire Alexander. DN says pigeon holed, I'm looking at limited.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 am

MJW wrote:I'm seriously wondering at this point if Lamar Jackson might be a trade-up possibility for some team, btw. It sounds vaguely nuts now, but so did two teams giving up 1st rounders for Mahomes and Watson this time last year.

I'm not a Jackson fan. To me he's the biggest project 1st rounder in the draft. But if a team like Buffalo or Miami misses out on "The Big Four," I could see it playing out.

Yeah the quarterbacks control all of this.
mdb1958

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk