The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: The real 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneer Draft discussion

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:
Truth. People have quickly forgotten that he was the #1 pick for a lot of pre-season pundits (who didn't go QB, that is.) He didn't forget how to play.

All I care about is the shoulder. If it checks out okay, he's my pick at 7.

And that's what you call a reach...
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I agree with RBF. Take the best Saquan Barkley available, no matter what else happens.

I MEAN PLAYER! BEST PLAYER! YEAH, THAT'S THE TICKET!
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'd do a Doug Martin like late first trade up for Sony Michel...

Sorry but no.

Why no to Michel?
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:And that's what you call a reach...

I agree with RBF. Take the best Saquan Barkley available, no matter what else happens.

I MEAN PLAYER! BEST PLAYER! YEAH, THAT'S THE TICKET!

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact Barkley ain't making it to 7, so you're off the mark yet again...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Sorry but no.

Why no to Michel?[/quote

No to trading up to get him.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Taking a top pass rusher at 7 is a reach? Yea to a casual like you trying to build a fantasy football team.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm still filtering the underclassmen who did and didn't declare. It's still too early to debate who goes where.

I have 467 prospects i need to whittle down before I can get beyond top 5 guys at a position.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:And that's what you call a reach...

Taking a top pass rusher at 7 is a reach? Yea to a casual like you trying to build a fantasy football team.

The guy has every red flag in the book: weight/fitness, motor, health, character, commitment to football... I understand edge is a premium position that we are desperate for, but I wouldn't be willing to gamble the #7 pick on that, no way. Like DN said, I think he's a Day 2 gamble guy ala Bowers/Gregory/Spence...
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

The guy has every red flag in the book: weight/fitness, motor, health, character, commitment to football... I understand edge is a premium position that we are desperate for, but I wouldn't be willing to gamble the #7 pick on that, no way. Like DN said, I think he's a Day 2 gamble guy ala Bowers/Gregory/Spence...

For the record, I have misgivings about Key also.

Can you tell us about all the dancer running backs who've made good over the years? I'll spot you Barry Sanders. Go from there. Tell us about all the great running backs who ignore their blocking and jump-cut outside consistently, and how they've fared in the NFL.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:41 am

Just did 4 two round Sims with New England as my pick. Here is what the computer picked for us.

Matt Miller board - Derrius Guice and Sam Hubbard

Drafttek - Sam Hubbard and Josh Adams

NFL MOCK - Harold Landry and Isaiah Oliver

Fanspeak - Bradley Chubb and Rashaad Penny
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:45 am

mdb1958 wrote:Just did 4 two round Sims with New England as my pick. Here is what the computer picked for us.

Matt Miller board - Derrius Guice and Sam Hubbard

Drafttek - Sam Hubbard and Josh Adams

NFL MOCK - Harold Landry and Isaiah Oliver

Fanspeak - Bradley Chubb and Rashaad Penny

I wouldn't be over the moon about any of them. Three of them have running backs and the other one has us drafting a 3-4 rush linebacker. Miller's would be the best, I guess, because I like both of those players.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The guy has every red flag in the book: weight/fitness, motor, health, character, commitment to football... I understand edge is a premium position that we are desperate for, but I wouldn't be willing to gamble the #7 pick on that, no way. Like DN said, I think he's a Day 2 gamble guy ala Bowers/Gregory/Spence...

Can you tell us about all the dancer running backs who've made good over the years? I'll spot you Barry Sanders. Go from there. Tell us about all the great running backs who ignore their blocking and jump-cut outside consistently, and how they've fared in the NFL.

I have little interest in Key. We don't need a sub 240 guy to be our new DE. At 7 we really need to hope for Chubb or Nelson. I personally would be happy with James but I know most disagree. Anyone else would be a disappointment.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:41 am

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:

I have little interest in Key. We don't need a sub 240 guy to be our new DE. At 7 we really need to hope for Chubb or Nelson. I personally would be happy with James but I know most disagree. Anyone else would be a disappointment.

I'm coming to accept that this will be one of those drafts where I probably don't love our options, and will be hoping to hear "trade" before we're announced as "pick is in."

I don't really love Key at this point (though I have an open mind on him.) I don't want a running back. Chubb will not be there unless he bombs his workouts. I don't like Derwin James and I think drafting another safety would not be a good thing for this franchise. I don't love the idea of a Top Ten guard. We're not going to draft a receiver, and we're almost certainly not going to draft a tackle.

Not much left. I love Denzel Ward. I'm warming up to Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm hoping one of the under-the-radar ends, like Sam Hubbard, makes a case. I'm not allergic to taking a defensive tackle but I don't see that happening right now.

Best case for me is that there's a run on the QBs, and we end up with 1 or 2 of them available and our phone lines lighting up. If we could drop back and get a 2nd or a 3rd and a 2019 1st, I'd feel good about that this year. I don't know that this draft, with our needs, is going to offer a ton of difference between 7 and 17.
MJW

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I'm coming to accept that this will be one of those drafts where I probably don't love our options, and will be hoping to hear "trade" before we're announced as "pick is in."

I don't really love Key at this point (though I have an open mind on him.) I don't want a running back. Chubb will not be there unless he bombs his workouts. I don't like Derwin James and I think drafting another safety would not be a good thing for this franchise. I don't love the idea of a Top Ten guard. We're not going to draft a receiver, and we're almost certainly not going to draft a tackle.

Not much left. I love Denzel Ward. I'm warming up to Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm hoping one of the under-the-radar ends, like Sam Hubbard, makes a case. I'm not allergic to taking a defensive tackle but I don't see that happening right now.

Best case for me is that there's a run on the QBs, and we end up with 1 or 2 of them available and our phone lines lighting up. If we could drop back and get a 2nd or a 3rd and a 2019 1st, I'd feel good about that this year. I don't know that this draft, with our needs, is going to offer a ton of difference between 7 and 17.

...if chubb is gone i would like to trade with buffalo. our #7 for buffalo's #21 and # 22 .. not sure on Key yet. he could still be the guy .
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:00 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The guy has every red flag in the book: weight/fitness, motor, health, character, commitment to football... I understand edge is a premium position that we are desperate for, but I wouldn't be willing to gamble the #7 pick on that, no way. Like DN said, I think he's a Day 2 gamble guy ala Bowers/Gregory/Spence...

Considering this isn't Barkley, I don't see how it's relevant.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:

I have little interest in Key. We don't need a sub 240 guy to be our new DE.

Arden Key isn't sub 240lbs and likely won't be until after his playing days are complete and he's an old man tbh.

I'd bet he weighs closer to 260 than 240 next month at the combine.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
MJW wrote:

...if chubb is gone i would like to trade with buffalo. our #7 for buffalo's #21 and # 22 .. not sure on Key yet. he could still be the guy .

We'll see how the QB carousel works it itself out prior to the draft with names like Cousins, Bradford, and Alex Smith all potentially being with new teams. But I could see the Cardinals (15th overall) and the Bills (21st and 22nd overall) as teams that would potentially be looking to trade up and target a QB.

Those two 1st rounders from the Bills are the pretty equal in value (according the chart) to the Bucs pick at 7th overall.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I have little interest in Key. We don't need a sub 240 guy to be our new DE.

Arden Key isn't sub 240lbs and likely won't be until after his playing days are complete and he's an old man tbh.

I'd bet he weighs closer to 260 than 240 next month at the combine.

The thing is, when he's been in top shape he's been 240lbs, but when he played at 265lbs or whatever he was this year, he was chunky and not as explosive. While I believe he has the frame to get himself to a chiseled 260lbs or so, he's yet to show it, and considering the questions with him off the field, we don't know if he's a guy who's going to live in the gym.

If he shows up at the combine at a lean 260+ lbs, shows off the elite athletic traits he displayed on tape at that weight, and answers the questions with legitimate reason as to why he went AWOL on his team, he'll have my attention as a top 10 guy. Until that though he's a mid first gamble pick at best, and 7 is way too rich for him considering who else could be on the board. I'd much rather gamble on a Lorenzo Carter on Day 2, someone who has every bit of Key's athletic freakiness who just needs some coaching, but with zero red flags behind it.
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am

On top of Key's other issues, I hate the dude's body frame. He's built like a damn caterpillar. No shoulder width, no arms, flabby gut. dude is going to get bossed around in the NFL

Look at guys like Simeon Rice, Khalil Mack, Chandler Jones, Everson Griffen, Ansah, Cameron Wake, Justin Houston, Clay Matthews, Robert Quinn

they're all built like upside down triangles with broad shoulders, thick arms and relatively slim waists coming out of college
beardmcdoug

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:56 am

beardmcdoug wrote:On top of Key's other issues, I hate the dude's body frame. He's built like a damn caterpillar. No shoulder width, no arms, flabby gut. dude is going to get bossed around in the NFL

Look at guys like Simeon Rice, Khalil Mack, Chandler Jones, Everson Griffen, Ansah, Cameron Wake, Justin Houston, Clay Matthews, Robert Quinn

they're all built like upside down triangles with broad shoulders, thick arms and relatively slim waists coming out of college

i dont know,Dwight freeney wasnt exactly built like a greek god and I heard the same things said about sapp . i know he was a DT but still, the dude looked like humpty dumpty.
Jason Bourne

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:05 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:On top of Key's other issues, I hate the dude's body frame. He's built like a damn caterpillar. No shoulder width, no arms, flabby gut. dude is going to get bossed around in the NFL

i dont know,Dwight freeney wasnt exactly built like a greek god and I heard the same things said about sapp . i know he was a DT but still, the dude looked like humpty dumpty.

tough to find pics of him at syracuse, but dude was lookin pretty manly in the shoulders/arms department

the two guys that come to mind that have a similar body type as Key are JPP and Julius Peppers. The difference is Julius Peppers was 6'6, 283 coming out of college. And JPP was 6'4 270. Those dudes had the body size/weight to make up for the odd build mold. As mentioned above. Key's optimal is 240-250. And when he's at 265 he's slow and not explosive. Just going to be tough to translate that to the NFL where tackles are going to have 50 lbs on him to push him around, and the technique to not get beat with speed
beardmcdoug

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:48 pm

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Honestly, I think we have decent odds on landing Chubb. As I've said in other threads, most of the teams above us have screaming needs at other positions which are there to be had in this draft. Cleveland could go DE and give themselves a monster pair of bookends, but I think they go QB and likely Barkley. The Colts could take him, but if they don't get some Oline they could see the end of Luck before the end of Trumps first term. Everyone ahead of us needs a QB and Oline. Unless one of them signs Cousins, there is a lot of hope.

If not, I have no problems taking Nelson. 7 is a bit high for a guard but we are as desperate for Oline as Indy. If Nelson turns out to be the perennial all-pro they predict, it will be a pick well spent at a place we really needed the help. Our run blocking is terrible. Replacing Pamphile with Nelson could be just enough to revitalize our run game and therefore the whole offense.

As to James, if you like Fitzpatrick you should like James. From what I've seen, James can do everything Fitzpatrick does but with more size and power against the run game.
terrytate

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Here's my top 5 Big Bucs Board

1. Bradley Chubb NC State DL

2. Quenton Nelson Notre Dame G

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick Alabama DB

4. Saquon Barkley Penn State RB

5. TIED Joshua Jackson Iowa DB- Connor Williams Texas OT
Phantom Phenom

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 pm

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:

Honestly, I think we have decent odds on landing Chubb. As I've said in other threads, most of the teams above us have screaming needs at other positions which are there to be had in this draft. Cleveland could go DE and give themselves a monster pair of bookends, but I think they go QB and likely Barkley. The Colts could take him, but if they don't get some Oline they could see the end of Luck before the end of Trumps first term. Everyone ahead of us needs a QB and Oline. Unless one of them signs Cousins, there is a lot of hope.

If not, I have no problems taking Nelson. 7 is a bit high for a guard but we are as desperate for Oline as Indy. If Nelson turns out to be the perennial all-pro they predict, it will be a pick well spent at a place we really needed the help. Our run blocking is terrible. Replacing Pamphile with Nelson could be just enough to revitalize our run game and therefore the whole offense.

As to James, if you like Fitzpatrick you should like James. From what I've seen, James can do everything Fitzpatrick does but with more size and power against the run game.

I think if the Colts pass on him and we see 4 QBs go in the top 6 - both possible - we could land him. I think the Colts are the key there. If I'm them, I love the idea of adding him as an all around 5 tech, rushing the passer when needed and busting up his man in the run game. The Colts basically have the EXACT same set of needs we do. They need pass rushers, offensive linemen, and corners - and maybe a running back. If they don't go Chubb, I think it'll be because they go Barkley.

I have no argument against Nelson as a player. He'll come in, he'll start right away, and he'll be good. But man...it feels like such a "give up" pick, taking a guard there. It's the same feeling as your kid drawing a walk in a little league game.

As suggested above...I'd be over the moon if Buffalo calls and offers us 21 and 22. That would be amazing. We could add, say, Marcus Davenport and Isaiah Oliver there. Or Will Hernandez and Ronald Jones. Or Frank Ragnow and Taven Bryan. You get the general idea.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:48 am

Alert: Cbs is now up to 190 prospects.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 pm

mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 am

Jeremiah and Kiper got 7 D-linemen getting picked
mdb1958

Postby Alpha » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:I heard the same things said about sapp . i know he was a DT but still, the dude looked like humpty dumpty.

You didn't hear any such thing about Sapp coming out.

He was dominant in college and easily would've been a top 10 selection if it weren't for the weed rumors. THAT was what you heard about Sapp coming out. He tested positive for weed. Allegedly.

Nobody said **** about his "body type" because he DOMINATED at DT.

I swear to Christ...you people make up half the **** you post on this board...
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:I heard the same things said about sapp . i know he was a DT but still, the dude looked like humpty dumpty.

You didn't hear any such thing about Sapp coming out.

He was dominant in college and easily would've been a top 10 selection if it weren't for the weed rumors. THAT was what you heard about Sapp coming out. He tested positive for weed. Allegedly.

Nobody said **** about his "body type" because he DOMINATED at DT.

I swear to Christ...you people make up half the **** you post on this board...

Dumbfuck. You be wrong
Jason Bourne

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:54 am

I could be happy if we end up with two CB's in this draft. One to send a signal to Hargreaves and one to let Smith know its "Smith Now" time...
mdb1958

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk