Walter Football Mock

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Walter Football Mock

Postby Doctor » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 am

Walter Mock
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

Cleveland Browns: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Josh Rosen doesn't want to go to the Browns, and the Browns, according to Tony Pauline, don't want Rosen either. However, he's currently the favorite to be chosen first overall - that could still change - so there might be some sort of trade. Perhaps the Giants will strike another draft-day deal involving a quarterback. I could see the Browns holding this pick for ransom, and the Giants moving up for a discounted price just in case another team like the Broncos or Jets decides to do so.

Perhaps Cleveland will move down and take either Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield. Sam Darnold is the other option, but I have him going back to USC (he's listed in my 2019 NFL Mock Draft.) DeShone Kizer displayed promise during the preseason, but he hasn't shown many signs that he can be a viable NFL quarterback. Despite getting good protection, Kizer has made lots of mistakes and has held on to the ball too long in the pocket. He played somewhat well versus the Lions and Packers, but he's had many worse moments. Kizer was only a second-round pick, anyway, and we saw the Panthers give up on Jimmy Clausen, another second-rounder, after one year when they selected Cam Newton first overall.

NFL coaches and owners are wary of the sort of things Rosen has discussed to the media, and his open views could hurt him. Scouts have told us that his teammates don't like him either, so that's a major strike against him. And for the cherry on top, even if his high school coach criticized him. However, Rosen has been prolific in some big games this year, so that could push him into the top spot.

New York Giants: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
Eli Manning turns 37 in January, and he's in obvious decline. The Giants will likely have a new front office, so they'll want their own franchise quarterback.

The battle to be the top quarterback could be between Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen if Sam Darnold returns to school, which is what I have happening in my 2019 NFL Mock Draft. If so, Jackson may ultimately win out, as he has higher upside and better intangibles. He needs to improve his ball placement, but coaches are going to fall in love with his skill set. One high-ranking personnel man in the NFC believes Jackson will be the top pick in the draft.

As mentioned earlier, there's a strong possibility that the Giants move up to No. 1 to take Josh Rosen at a discount, just to make sure the Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, etc. don't do the same thing.

Indianapolis Colts: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
I've had the Colts selecting either Bradley Chubb or Arden Key for a while, but they've never been in position to pick Saquon Barkley. I have to believe he'd be the pick here. Frank Gore is going to retire soon, and Marlon Mack doesn't seem like the long-term answer. Indianapolis needs to give Andrew Luck lots of help, and while the offensive line needs to improve, a dynamic running back would help as well.

Barkley ran a 4.33 at the Penn State pro day in March and happens to be an even better prospect than Ezekiel Elliott. It's quite possible that he could be the first-overall pick in the 2018

Cleveland Browns: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S/CB, Alabama
Any team that can't stop Brett Hundley in the fourth quarter and overtime to achieve its first victory of the season desperately needs defensive back help. The Browns are desperate at both cornerback and safety, and Minkah Fitzpatrick can play both positions extremely well. Plus, he's arguably the best player available.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C.State
Robert Ayers is just a temporary solution for the Buccaneers at defensive end; he'll be a 33-year-old impending free agent in 2018. They'll need a long-term starter across from Noah Spence to help put pressure on Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. And speaking of Spence, I don't know how much longer Tampa can wait on him to remain healthy. When will his shoulder issues go away?

Bradley Chubb is the best player available, so the Buccaneers would be thrilled to land him at No. 5 overall.

Pick change; previously Derwin James, S

Denver Broncos: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
I feel as though this will be a very polarizing pick. There are some ardent fans of Baker Mayfield who will believe that I have the Oklahoma quarterback in the correct spot. There are others who dislike Mayfield as a prospect. We spoken to team sources that have him as a second- or third-round player.

However, team sources pegged Deshaun Watson as a second- or third-round prospect last year as well, and he went No. 12 overall. If a quarterback is considered a Round 2-3 player, he will likely be chosen in the opening frame, and Mayfield, like Watson, could win teams over with his leadership ability and upside. He certainly has his flaws, but a team desperate for a franchise quarterback - i.e. the Broncos - could pull the trigger much earlier than some expect.

New York Jets: Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU

The Jets have gotten a lot out of Kony Ealy, who has been tremendous for them despite the Patriots cutting him during the preseason. However, Ealy is an impending free agent and may command a high price tag. If heads elsewhere, the Jets will need another new edge rusher. Arden Key is a special talent, and he happens to be the best player available.

Pick change; previously Calvin Ridley, WR

San Francisco 49ers: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
Jimmy Garoppolo looks like he's going to be one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL in the near future, but the 49ers will need to add talent around him. This includes a No. 1 receiver, so Calvin Ridley is a possibility. However, Garoppolo needs better protection as well. The 49ers have a pair of great tackles, but they need to bolster the interior of the offensive line.

NFL teams and scouts absolutely love Quenton Nelson. He's viewed as an elite prospect. He's a guard, so he may have trouble being chosen in the top five, though it's not completely impossible. He's viewed as the next Logan Mankins, so I'll be surprised if he's not taken in the initial 10 selections.

Pick change; previously Bradley Chubb, DE

Chicago Bears: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
I think the Bears would jump all over the top wide receiver prospect in the class if they have the ability to obtain him. Kevin White has been a bust thus far, while Cameron Meredith's long-term status is unclear because of the brutal injury he suffered in the preseason. The Bears need to give Mitchell Trubisky a viable No. 1 receiver.

Pick change; previously Arden Key, DE

Cincinnati Bengals: Derwin James, S, Florida State
Tackle Mike McGlinchey is a strong possibility, but Derwin James seems more like the sort of pick the Bengals would make. Besides, it's not like James wouldn't fill a need. Cincinnati's defense has not been the same since losing Reggie Nelson, so an upgrade at safety would take the stop unit back to a playoff-caliber level.

Pick change; previously Quenton Nelson, G

-------------------

2nd: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
The Buccaneers took a chance on Doug Martin this season, and it backfired. Martin has been lethargic, and he was finally benched for fumbling. Tampa Bay will be looking for a running back early in the 2018 NFL Draft.

3rd: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jordan Whitehead, S, Pittsburgh
The Buccaneers thought they may have fixed their safety woes when they signed T.J. Ward. However, Ward has just been mediocre, and he expressed his frustration with the coaching staff. Chris Conte, meanwhile, may not return either, as the Buccaneers have a team option on him. Tampa Bay is in desperate need of better safety play.

Pick change; previously Marcus Davenport, DE

4th: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Kameron Kelly, CB, San Diego State
Here's another secondary upgrade for the Buccaneers, who need to find a new starter across from Vernon Hargreaves.

Pick change; previously Dontavius Russell, DT

Doctor

Re: Walter Football Mock

Postby Teitan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:12 am

This would be excellent.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:44 am

That would be insane but too good to be true
real bucs fan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:07 pm

I like Walter football , I know some don’t but the prospect ranking section is pretty good
Jason Bourne

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Doctor had the perfect gif response.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:I like Walter football , I know some don’t but the prospect ranking section is pretty good

They are definitely a good resource.
Teitan

Postby Nano » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 pm

WF is usually pretty good. Good prospect rankings/wrightups and their mocks aren't bad either(plus they have the database for everyone else). Only thing that usually sucks is their draft grades...but that's because they try for jokes and puns with every pick
Nano

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Walter Football provides much needed draft content, but you should always take them with a grain of salt since Walter is essentially just some guy with a computer.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:13 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Walter Football provides much needed draft content, but you should always take them with a grain of salt since Walter is essentially just some guy with a computer.

If we take him with a grain of salt, what do you think people take you with?
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Walter Football provides much needed draft content, but you should always take them with a grain of salt since Walter is essentially just some guy with a computer.

If we take him with a grain of salt, what do you think people take you with?

Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Ya I'm not insalted lol
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:28 pm

I have a hard time seeing Guice fall but Cook fell last year so who knows. At the end of the day it's a copycat league and we just had a rookie win the rushing title, guys like Fournette, Elliot, and Gurley are going to almost lock Barkley into the top 5. Cook, Kamara, Hunt- teams are going to be looking at the new generation of RBs and want a piece. Luckily this draft is deep at RB so even if we miss out of some top ones, we could walk away with a Kamara in day 2.
Doctor

Return to College Football/Draft Talk