CBS Mock Draft Shocker! Chubb fall!!

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
CBS Mock Draft Shocker! Chubb fall!!

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 pm

2018 NFL Mock Draft: John Elway's Broncos take chance on super-talented Josh Allen

By Chris Trapasso
CBSSports.com

18h ago • 7 min read

Josh Allen couldn't have scripted a better bowl game for his NFL Draft stock. After a mostly abysmal final regular season at Wyoming that ended with injury -- a draft-stock plummeting double whammy -- the uber-talented quarterback returned for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl and flashed his entire arsenal in a convincing win.

His arm looked to be 100 percent, as the vast majority of his throws were frozen ropes, including one of his three first-quarter touchdowns against Central Michigan.

Based on his entire body of work, to me, Allen is more Jake Locker than Cam Newton, but it seems likely that at least one NFL team has already fallen in love with his potential. Going to Denver, where he can lean on a strong defense early in his career, would be a relatively soft landing spot for Allen.

Below is the current draft order, which, yes, will still change quite a bit, particularly after pick No. 20.

Cleveland Browns

Sam Darnold, QB, USC. The Browns want a quarterback who believes he's the transcendent franchise-changer. If Josh Rosen doesn't want to play in Cleveland, Darnold might be the guy for John Dorsey. Choosing between Rosen and Darnold is splitting hairs.

New York Giants

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. In this scenario, the new Giants head coach and general manager retain Eli Manning for one more season and fortify the offensive line with arguably the best run-blocking left tackle in the entire draft class.

Indianapolis Colts

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma. The Coltsagain invest in their offensive line, which is logical with Andrew Luck coming off a serious injury that cost him his entire 2017 campaign. Brown will bring run-blocking and pass-blocking dominance to the next level.

Cleveland Browns (from Texans)

Connor Williams, OT, Texas. Williams has some technical kinks to work out and suffered a knee injury in 2017, but when fully healthy in 2016, he looked like a top-five lock. He's the eventual Joe Thomas replacement for the Browns at left tackle.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama. Tempted to pick Bradley Chubb here, the Bucs instead address their biggest need, which is at cornerback. Fitpzatrick adds a much-needed size element to Tampa Bay's secondary.

Denver Broncos

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming. John Elway was in attendance for Allen's masterful bowl game, so he saw the rocket arm and mobility up close. With an offseason emphasis on bolstering the offensive line and complementary pieces on defense, the Broncos will try to create an environment conducive to success for the gifted but raw quarterback. Rosen's concussions scare Denver's front office.

New York Jets

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA. Rosen lands in New York after all, just with Gang Green, a franchise unafraid to invest in the signal-caller position in the draft. If Josh McCown is re-signed, Rosen won't have to start right away.

San Francisco 49ers

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU. Love this pairing, especially given what Jimmy Garoppolo has done with a somewhat pedestrian wide receiver group in his starts this season. Sutton has a scary size-speed-athleticism combination.

Chicago Bears

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama. The Bears have to get Mitchell Trubisky more weapons, and Ridley provides downfield speed, keen route-running and body control near the sidelines.

Cincinnati Bengals

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. Another pairing I really like, especially with a new era likely to begin in 2018 for the Bengals. Mayfield is a dynamic quarterback who grew as a pocket passer this season.

11. Oakland Raiders
Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State. Watch out for Khalil Mack and Chubb flying off the edges for the Raiders for the next decade. Oakland has had its fair share of problems creating turnovers, and many of those come when a quarterback is pressured.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... osh-allen/
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Phenom

Re: CBS Mock Draft Shocker! Chubbs fall!!

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Lol at mcglinchey and Brown 2&3
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:20 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Lol at mcglinchey and Brown 2&3

Right??

And so help me, if we freaking pass on Chubb for Fitz.... Licht better have 24/7 surveillance on his house..

Meanwhile Oakland grabs Chubb and pairs him with Mack...FML
Super K

Re: CBS Mock Draft Shocker! Chubb fall!!

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:37 pm

It's December. Guys are going to rise and fall. There will be prospects uncovered that people will like more than the guys at the top of their lists now.
Bootz2004

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Lol...one of the worst mocks I’ve ever seen
Zarniwoop

Postby Cheb » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Lol...one of the worst mocks I’ve ever seen

Seconded.
Cheb

Postby NavyBuc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Giants are not passing up on Rosen. They have no qb of the future and Manning is down to his last couple years.
NavyBuc

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Cheb wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Lol...one of the worst mocks I’ve ever seen

Seconded.

Thirded
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Fitzapatrick is a great prospect for sure, but passing on studs like Chubb and Barkley at needs like DE and RB for a DB would have me cursing at my TV....
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:01 pm

DB is a way bigger need than RB. Way larger. It's honestly a bigger need than DE but upgrading the front will help the secondary some.
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Click Bait from CBS.
acmillis

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Imo, our bucs are in need of these positions more than RB: RDE, LDE, 1 tech, RG, LG, RT, #1 CB, and perhaps even SS.

Build the lines, and find some edge pressure while continuing the search for a RB.
VauntedTampa2

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 am

acmillis wrote:Click Bait from CBS.

This.
PrimeMinister

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:34 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:Imo, our bucs are in need of these positions more than RB:....

Build the lines, and find some edge pressure while continuing the search for a RB.

Says nearly everyone not named RBF...but the douche has his agenda...so be it.
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 am

Bootz2004 wrote:It's December. Guys are going to rise and fall. There will be prospects uncovered that people will like more than the guys at the top of their lists now.

Agreed, the top 10 in Dec is always different than what it actually is come April. If Derek Barnett can fall to the mid first rd than so can Chubb.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:02 am

Alpha wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:Imo, our bucs are in need of these positions more than RB:....

I want to improve the lines, I'm just actually looking st the lineman in the draft as opposed to just saying "draft a lineman round 1". Chubb I would take over Barkley, but he's the only lineman on either side of the ball who'd be worth it.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 am

Alpha wrote:

Meh, Barkley is an elite prospect so I certainly wouldn't be opposed to drafting hom, he just wouldn't be my top choice is all.

If we end up drafting top 5 there will inevitably be players we passed on that turn out to be great players. We just need to make sure the guy we select turns out to be one of those guys and Barkley certainly has just as good a chance as any other prospect. His knock is the same as Nelson in that they play a devalued position compared to EDGE or CB.

The Bucs run game has been dog **** the past 2 seasons so let's not pretend we couldn't use Barkley. Like most I just think the value at RB will still be there in rds 2-3 like it is every year and the Bucs would be better off with a DE or CB/S like Fitz. Tbh I'd even take Nelson over Barkley and get the RB on day 2.

Getting the Oline solidified at LG would go along way in both giving Winston time and opening up lanes in the run game for whoever we have back there.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 am

Super K wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:Lol at mcglinchey and Brown 2&3

Right??

And so help me, if we freaking pass on Chubb for Fitz.... Licht better have 24/7 surveillance on his house..

Yeah... how awful we take the best player in the entire draft over a not even elite DE.... See kids, this is the dumb **** drafting for need makes you say.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:24 am

Doctor wrote:
Super K wrote:

Right??

Yeah... how awful we take the best player in the entire draft over a not even elite DE.... See kids, this is the dumb **** drafting for need makes you say.

So your hoping what he can do in the NFL happens
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:34 am

Doctor wrote:
Super K wrote:

Right??

Didn't mean mean to insult your BF Doc..

He is definitely "all that" or whatever you youngins say nowadays..
Super K

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 pm

If we were a RB away from being a contender, then great, take one. We are picking top 5 for a reason..
VauntedTampa2

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:04 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:If we were a RB away from being a contender, then great, take one. We are picking top 5 for a reason..

Funny, Cowboys and Jaguars were pick 4 for a reason too....
Doctor

Postby Nano » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Yeah, because the Cowboys were starting ****ing Brandon Weeden and Kellen Moore at QB while the Jags had one of the worst HCs in modern history(with a broken QB). Talent wasn't an issue for either squad like it is for us.
Nano

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Nano wrote:Yeah, because the Cowboys were starting ****ing Brandon Weeden and Kellen Moore at QB while the Jags had one of the worst HCs in modern history(with a broken QB). Talent wasn't an issue for either squad like it is for us.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Nano wrote:Yeah, because the Cowboys were starting ****ing Brandon Weeden and Kellen Moore at QB while the Jags had one of the worst HCs in modern history(with a broken QB). Talent wasn't an issue for either squad like it is for us.

Remember on HN when we scrimmaged and dominated the Jags? Baker was telling their fans how much the team sucked; we were expected to make the playoffs; they were expected to win 3 or 4 games? Talent is the issue? Perhaps, but I think coaching more so.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:47 am

You clowns that are advocating for a RB just don't understand football, in general.

You are the same clowns that want Gruden...even though we are keeping Koetter (the right move, to keep us out of Cleveland territory).

Whateves. I prefer to wait and see who is actually declaring for the draft. Even though I wouldn't touch Darnold, his declaration changes things dramatically.

A week will tell a lot. 3 weeks will tell more.
Alpha

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:23 am

Alpha wrote:You clowns that are advocating for a RB just don't understand football, in general.

You are the same clowns that want Gruden...even though we are keeping Koetter (the right move, to keep us out of Cleveland territory).

Whateves. I prefer to wait and see who is actually declaring for the draft. Even though I wouldn't touch Darnold, his declaration changes things dramatically.

A week will tell a lot. 3 weeks will tell more.

I'm on the Koetter HC train, have been since before Lovie was fired, and I can recognize that we need a RB, because we need a RB. Period. And Barkley is one of the top talents in the draft, perhaps the drafts best player, so the guy should be considered with our first pick. Saying otherwise is insanity.
real bucs fan

Postby Rocker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 pm

That’s like putting turbos on your 85 Honda when it needs a chassis rebuild.
Rocker

Return to College Football/Draft Talk