MJW's First Official 2018 Mock Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
MJW's First Official 2018 Mock Draft

Postby MJW » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:56 am

If you think I flat-out forgot about a prospect, let me know. There were a couple guys I don't have on here who most probably would either way. Enjoy.

1) Browns - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
I think when the bluster dies down, Rosen will accept his fate in Cleveland. IMHO he's the only true franchise quarterback prospect in this class right now.

2) Giants - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
With his cannon arm, intangibles, upside, and familiarity with playing in the cold, I think he's a better fit for the Giants than Rosen would have been anyway.

3) Colts - Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
He's a perfect five tech, able to play up and down the line, rush the passer, and destroy the run.

4) Browns (From Texans) - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
I think actual NFL talent evaluators will like him more than Barkley. He's an every-down back who can do everything, and he runs inside as well as any back in the country.

5) Buccaneers - Arden Key, DE, LSU
I'm assuming he'll show up in shape and blow away talent evaluators this post-season. With his monumental talent, we can't afford to pass in this scenario.

6) Broncos - Sam Darnold, QB, USC
I expect the Broncos to clean house this offseason with their coaches AND their quarterbacks. I get nervous about warm-weather guys in the cold, but Darnold is too talented to fall much further.

7) 49ers - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
He's my favorite player in this class, and he's exactly what the 49ers need the most. A big, athletic, sure-handed #1 NFL talent.

8) Jets - Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma
I'm not a Rudolph fan, but I think he's a good fit here. He's moxie, mobility, and playmaking skills are just what the moribund Jets need right now, and even coming from his goofball offense I think he can start early. In a lot of ways, he's the anti-Hackenberg.

9) Bears - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
It's not a particularly sexy pick, but when you look at what Lattimore did for the Saints defense, Ward could have the same impact for a talented (but underperforming) Bears group.

10) Bengals - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Their linebacking play was a huge part of their NFL worst run defense this season. Smith starts right away and stays there for a decade. He'll make everyone better.

11) Raiders - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
I don't like Barkley, but running behind that huge line, he'd have a chance to make good here. His pass-catching skills are excellent and are worth the pick for the Raiders. Derek Carr has never gotten to play with a back who made him better as a pass catcher.

12) Dolphins - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
Fitzpatrick goes higher than this if a team is convinced he can play corner. More likely, he'll be seen as a free safety and jack of all trades for the Dolphins defense.

13) Cardinals - Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
I don't think the Cardinals, regardless of the coach, will reach for a QB, and I don't think they'll want Lamar Jackson. More likely they'll target a veteran and draft someone later on. Nelson is a monster, as we know.

14) Packers - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Edge, Oklahoma State
The draft's best pure 3-4 linebacker, Okoronkwo would allow the Packers to ease back Clay Matthews's snaps. It seems like they've been looking like a fixture to help with the edge rush for many drafts now.

15) Titans - Maurice Hurst, DL, Michigan
**** LeBeau likes defensive linemen like this, who can play different spots and do a variety of things. Hurst isn't a big lineman, but he's versatile and he can provide a nickel rush from the nose.

16) Cowboys - Derwin James, S, Florida State
James's "I don't want to get hurt" season will likely hurt his draft stock more than getting hurt would have, but that won't scare the Cowboys off. They just need to keep adding playmakers to their defense.

17) Redskins - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
I'm assuming Kirk Cousins leaves, obviously. I think Jackson will need some seasoning and some time in the weight room, but the playmaking ability is worth the investment. A lot of this depends on the coach also.

18) Bills - Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
The Bills have historically erred on the side of big, physical linemen so they can run the ball in the snow. Brown is that type of player. Sean McDermott wants a physical team either way.

19) Lions - Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
Ferrell is a promising young edge rusher who could step in for the likely departing Ziggy Ansah. He's not an elite talent but he will be an NFL starter.

20) Falcons - Taven Bryan, DL, Florida
I really like Bryan. I think he can add 10 pounds and become an ideal five technique here.

21) Chargers - Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
The Chargers rebuilt their interior line last year. Now they need a tackle who can tie it all together. Okorafor could go higher than this if teams are convinced he can be an elite left tackle. More likely he'll be an elite right tackle right away.

22) Ravens - Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
Love is undersized, but he's quick and fast. The Ravens left a lot of big plays on the field this season because of average running backs. He'll probably be part of a rotation but he'll rack up cheap yardage when he's on the field.

23) Seahawks - Connor Williams, OT, Texas
Williams has top five potential but hasn't reached it yet. Tom Cable will be salivating to work with him.

24) Panthers - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
The Panthers opened up a big hole by dealing Kelvin Benjamin. Ridley isn't the same type of player, but he would be a good compliment to Funchess and Olsen.

25) Bills (From Chiefs) - Vita Vea, DT, Utah
Another huge mauler for the Bills, only on defense. They were gouged against the run after dealing away Dareus during the season. Vea would most likely help there right away. Leslie Frazier typically favors smaller linemen, but Vea will give those guys many more opportunities in the middle of the defense.

26) Steelers - Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas
We all know why the Steelers need an inside linebacker right now. Jefferson is a perfect fit for how they like to deploy the position. Lanky, fast, and smart.

27) Vikings - Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
I haven't been impressed with McGlinchey when I've watched him, but he'd allow Riley Reiff to move to right tackle and Mike Remmers to move to guard, improving three positions.

28) Eagles - Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State
Jones is a very good left tackle prospect who should be able to hold his own immediately if need be. Their blindside protection fell apart when Jason Peters got hurt, and he may be done. Jones will allow for continuity on a very good line otherwise.

29) Jaguars - Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Miller is one of my favorite players in the draft. The Jaguars have been trying to solidify left tackle for many years. I think the tall, long-armed Miller is a huge upgrade from the various players they've been using there. He's a natural pass protector.

30) Saints - Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
The Saints defense is finally coming together. Hubbard hasn't played his best football yet, and unlike recent Saints defensive picks, he wouldn't need to fix everything himself. He would be a strong addition.

31) Rams - Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College
I think Landry would be a great fit as a 3-4 rusher for Wade Phillips. I don't think they could ask for a better prospect here.

32) Patriots - Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa
I have been a Jackson fan for awhile now. It's impossible not to notice him in Big Ten play. He seems like a good fit for Bill Belichick with Malcolm Butler possibly leaving soon. He's a similar type of corner.

33) Browns - James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
Can the Browns count on Josh Gordon to stay eligible or Corey Coleman to stay healthy? No. And none of the other receivers have stepped up yet. I think Washington's probably a #2 guy in the NFL.

34) Giants - Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh
I think O'Neill is underrated right now, and he can come in and start at left tackle immediately for the Giants.

35) Browns (From Texans) - TJ Edwards, LB, Wisconsin
The Browns add another talented defender to their young roster. Edwards is an ideal 3-4 inside linebacker who should make a lot of tackles while they're edge guys make plays.

36) Buccaneers - Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
Hernandez grades ahead of several guards who've gone in the first round in recent years, and some even like him more than Quenton Nelson. He's 6'3 330 lbs, and on a dreadful UTEP team he's garnered national attention. The best comparison is a sane Arron Sears.
MJW

Re: MJW's First Official 2018 Mock Draft

Postby MJW » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:01 pm

MJW

Postby Naismith » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Nice job. I'll bet you 25 cents that Barkley is the first RB off the board.

I'm hoping that the Bucs end up with pick four and Rosen, Allen and Darnold are all in the draft. That gives them so many options.
Naismith

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:16 pm

I appreciate the effort but I'm not sold on Key and think Minkah is the better pick at 5 whether he plays corner or saftey or both.

Love Henandez at 36. He's a man among boys at the collegiate level.

I think Brian O'Neil is a right tackle at Pitt, but don't quote me on that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I appreciate the effort but I'm not sold on Key and think Minkah is the better pick at 5 whether he plays corner or saftey or both.

Love Henandez at 36. He's a man among boys at the collegiate level.

I think Brian O'Neil is a right tackle at Pitt, but don't quote me on that.

Agree. Too many red flags with Key. If he is going to get fat and underperform during his money year, I really don’t want to roll the dice on how he will perform after he gets paid. The bust potential here is just too high to risk a top 5 pick. Fitz seems much safer and if he can be that CB 1, that may allow us to salvage our 1st a couple years back.

Seems clear by now that VHIII was over drafted; he is not a #1 and you don’t draft #2s 11 overall. If Minkah can be Batman, perhaps VHIII can get his confidence back and be a solid Robin.
Brazen331

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Key is such a wildcard right now, but if he has a great few months, I'd be happy with this draft- assuming we can secure a RB after. Big fan of Hernandez.
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Minor correction, but Mason Rudolph plays for OK St, not OU. And his name sounds a white as Baker Mayfield.
Ken Carson

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Love it!
theBKwhopper

Postby Alpha » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:44 am

I would genuinely be SHOCKED if Nelson made it to 13.

I'd be equally SHOCKED if he made it past 10.
Alpha

Return to College Football/Draft Talk