Draft Watch: OL

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Draft Watch: OL

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 am

Can anyone show any evidence this regime would be interested in drafting a G at 7? I would really like to see it. All this Nelson talk adds up to ‘gee I’d love then to draft Nelson to me.’
Brazen331

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:45 am

Brazen331 wrote:Can anyone show any evidence this regime would be interested in drafting a G at 7? I would really like to see it. All this Nelson talk adds up to ‘gee I’d love then to draft Nelson to me.’

In Kipers mock you would go with who instead

In Jeremiah's mock you would go with who instead
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 am

Licht was part of a FO in Arizona that drafted a Guard top 10 in Arizona just before he took the GM job here.

That said I have a sinking feeling the folks at OBP have a higher opinion od the Bucs oline than most fans. I believe we'll address Oline/Guard in FA so we aren't as desperate in the draft.

I think Nelson is an elite Guard prospect and as safe as they come at that position. But I'd be a bit surprised if we didn't draft defense in round 1.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:24 am

DreadNaught wrote:Licht was part of a FO in Arizona that drafted a Guard top 10 in Arizona just before he took the GM job here.

That said I have a sinking feeling the folks at OBP have a higher opinion od the Bucs oline than most fans. I believe we'll address Oline/Guard in FA so we aren't as desperate in the draft.

I think Nelson is an elite Guard prospect and as safe as they come at that position. But I'd be a bit surprised if we didn't draft defense in round 1.

Its nice that your offering thoughts of others, now look at those two drafts and give out your player for 7.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 am

MJW wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Bucs to draft Nelson . He is often described as a once-in-a-decade OL.

If he was a "Once In A Decade" lineman, he'd be a left tackle. Doesn't mean he won't be good, of course.

He also wouldn't make it out of the top 3 or 4. Let stick around until 7.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 am

I dont think they have really started pushing the offensive linemen yet. They'll move some up, move some down, find some new ones etc.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:
If he was a "Once In A Decade" lineman, he'd be a left tackle. Doesn't mean he won't be good, of course.

He also wouldn't make it out of the top 3 or 4. Let stick around until 7.

It's a possibility that happens...(doesn't make it past 3-4)...

I can easily see the Colts grabbing him to help protect their franchise aka Andrew Luck... especially considering that he's coming off injury and they've done pretty much nothing to protect him....

I also wouldn't put it past Cleveland to draft him at #4...

Taking Allen or Darnold #1 with Nelson to help protect him is a damn nice haul....
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 pm

MJW wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Bucs to draft Nelson . He is often described as a once-in-a-decade OL.

He's likely a once in a decade guard prospect.
uscbucsfan

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Licht was part of a FO in Arizona that drafted a Guard top 10 in Arizona just before he took the GM job here.

Good example. But the way Cooper’s career has played out after being selected at 7, does not give me confidence Licht will do the same thing again at 7. I’d love it to happen as I want a high-ceiling guy if we stay put at 7, Nelson, Barkley, James, someone with the potential to be the best at their position in a few years.
Brazen331

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:34 am

I just read that Brandon Parker OT has never given up a sack in his career.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 am

mdb1958 wrote:I just read that Brandon Parker OT has never given up a sack in his career.

Neither have I.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Brazen331 wrote:

Good example. But the way Cooper’s career has played out after being selected at 7, does not give me confidence Licht will do the same thing again at 7. I’d love it to happen as I want a high-ceiling guy if we stay put at 7, Nelson, Barkley, James, someone with the potential to be the best at their position in a few years.

That's exactly what Nelson is....
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:27 am

What is Bret Toth's commitment with the Army?
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:58 am

I really, really like Isaiah Wynn. I've been watching UGA games to get a sense of their guys. He's not a mauler. He'll absolutely have to play guard. And he'd be best in a ZBS or pulling role. But all that said, I think you're talking about a future Pro Bowl guy. He reminds me of those undersized guards who were so good for the 90s/2000s Broncos. Mark Schlereth, Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, those guys.

If we could sign Norwell, then draft Wynn in the 2nd (he won't be there in the 3rd) to ease in behind JR Sweezy, we'd really have something there with Marpet in the middle.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 am

MJW wrote:I really, really like Isaiah Wynn. I've been watching UGA games to get a sense of their guys. He's not a mauler. He'll absolutely have to play guard. And he'd be best in a ZBS or pulling role. But all that said, I think you're talking about a future Pro Bowl guy. He reminds me of those undersized guards who were so good for the 90s/2000s Broncos. Mark Schlereth, Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, those guys.

If we could sign Norwell, then draft Wynn in the 2nd (he won't be there in the 3rd) to ease in behind JR Sweezy, we'd really have something there with Marpet in the middle.

Yup. He's a natural guard and stands out when you watch Georgia.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:I really, really like Isaiah Wynn. I've been watching UGA games to get a sense of their guys. He's not a mauler. He'll absolutely have to play guard. And he'd be best in a ZBS or pulling role. But all that said, I think you're talking about a future Pro Bowl guy. He reminds me of those undersized guards who were so good for the 90s/2000s Broncos. Mark Schlereth, Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, those guys.

Yup. He's a natural guard and stands out when you watch Georgia.

He's just so darn quick and technically sound. He looks like he'd be a complete pain in the butt to line up against. He doesn't make mistakes or lose his balance or take bad angles.

I'll revise what I said - I think we should take him in the 2nd and just give him Sweezy's job.
MJW

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk