Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: UCF vs Auburn

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: UCF vs Auburn

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:22 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:We did a home and home against UCF. We were their only loss, but generally it's true. SEC will schedule 1 big OOC oponent and the rest are shitty G5 or FBS.

I’m horrible....when I think of the SEC when I’m making generalities I don’t think of you guys

:P

Maybe it’s cause you kept kicking our ass in the outback bowl that I’ve tried to forget you exist
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:It’s simple, if UCF, or any G5 school, wants a chance to be included they are going to have to play two high ranked teams OOC to supplement their easier in conference schedules. UCF didn’t do that this year. It stinks that their GaTech game was cancelled, that would have helped a little but even they were only 5-6.

The state of Florida could help them out a bit. The Ohio legislature has a rule that OSU has to play so many in-state schools OOC over extended periods to help keep the “money” in state....it would be easy for the state of Florida to do this given the 3 big schools.

From what USC posted, UCFs OOC next year isn’t any better

I get that, but I keep reading that good P5 schools don't want to schedule good G5 schools.

Not all, but to your point for the ones that do, why would they? It's all risk and no reward. Better off just scheduling P5 schools. If you're going to schedule an non P5 school you might as well schedule the shitty ones. Beating a decent/good G5 program doesn't do much for a P5 programs resume, not as much as beating a P5 opponent.

I know that sucks for the USF/UCFs of the G5, but it should an incentive for them to build their program up so a P5 conference will come calling.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:25 pm

IMO the big boys (top 25) should schedule

1. Top 25 P5 team
2. A top G5 team or service academy
3. In state crappy G5
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I get that, but I keep reading that good P5 schools don't want to schedule good G5 schools.

Not all, but to your point for the ones that do, why would they? It's all risk and no reward. Better off just scheduling P5 schools. If you're going to schedule an non P5 school you might as well schedule the shitty ones. Beating a decent/good G5 program doesn't do much for a P5 programs resume, not as much as beating a P5 opponent.

I know that sucks for the USF/UCFs of the G5, but it should an incentive for them to build their program up so a P5 conference will come calling.

Which is what UCF & USF have done. I can't speak for UCF, but USF still has some building to do. However, without the money of a P5 conference, that's no easy task. It is a true Catch-22.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Which is what UCF & USF have done. I can't speak for UCF, but USF still has some building to do. However, without the money of a P5 conference, that's no easy task. It is a true Catch-22.

The real issue is that they can do it in football, but not all the other sports. This is the biggest deterrent to the joining the P5 conferences....they would lose so much money in the other sports. Think of the schools that were able to make the jump — Utah, TCU, Baylor. All were really good in at least 2 or 3 other sports
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Which is what UCF & USF have done. I can't speak for UCF, but USF still has some building to do. However, without the money of a P5 conference, that's no easy task. It is a true Catch-22.

The real issue is that they can do it in football, but not all the other sports. This is the biggest deterrent to the joining the P5 conferences....they would lose so much money in the other sports. Think of the schools that were able to make the jump — Utah, TCU, Baylor. All were really good in at least 2 or 3 other sports

I didn't think about the other sports. Probably because they don't interest me. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:33 pm

I don’t watch any other college sports but they can be a real financial burden for smaller schools having To travel men’s/women’s soccer, gymnastics, track, swimming, etc.

(I will watch Zip soccer when they make the final 4 or OSU hockey if they make the Frozen Four or CWS)
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I get that, but I keep reading that good P5 schools don't want to schedule good G5 schools.

Here's the circular argument:

UCF's schedule was soft, so they should have scheduled a couple good P5 schools.
Scheduling UCF is all risk, no reward for the P5 schools, so they won't schedule UCF.
UCF's schedule will be too soft, because they can't schedule the good P5 schools.

You can substitute any other strong G5 school for UCF in the above equation. All that you're left with is a formula guaranteed to exclude the G5 schools from competing.
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:38 pm

ive Never bought the argument that G5 can’t get Big schools to bite. The Big 10 does it all the time

As long as the G5 school doesn’t want a home/home I’m sure they could find games.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 pm

In fact I just went back and looked at UCFs schedules for the last 10 years

They have never had a problem scheduling good OOC. Many years they played 2 very good games — OSU, PSU, Stanford, Michigan, South Carolina. I’m actually very impressed

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/CentralFlorida.htm

This year was different. They didn’t play any and they got punished for it
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:ive Never bought the argument that G5 can’t get Big schools to bite. The Big 10 does it all the time

As long as the G5 school doesn’t want a home/home I’m sure they could find games.

Someone from UCF was saying that they deserve home/home. They felt it was offensive to only get a road game at these schools. If schools like FAU get Oklahoma, Boise State gets legit P5 schools...I think anyone can. They don't deserve home/home match ups.

I think UNC, when scheduled, looked like a good team. Fedora was just coming off a loss to Clemson in the ACC championship. Then they won 2 games last year.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:In fact I just went back and looked at UCFs schedules for the last 10 years

They have never had a problem scheduling good OOC. Many years they played 2 very good games — OSU, PSU, Stanford, etc

This year was different. They didn’t play any and they got punished for it

They could have scheduled this year when the went 0-12.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Someone from UCF was saying that they deserve home/home. They felt it was offensive to only get a road game at these schools. .

If a school offers OSU enough money I'm sure they will travel - they have done home/home with USC (the good one!!! :P ), Oklahoma, Texas, Miami, Va Tech, etc recently and are now doing TCU and Oregon.

That being said, they are making TCU play at Jerry's World as TCU only seats under 50,000.

I'll bet if UCF tells a school like OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame,etc they can come to Raymond James and puts a crapload of money on the table the schools would do it....if money was equal, I'm sure OSU would rather play UCF than Oklahoma

the P5 is driven by one thing and one thing only -- $$

Question for you Florida folks:

If they are looking for a big school to give "charity" they need to look in-state.

What school system is UCF part of? The UF system? The FSU system? Or its own?
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Right, so if UCF wants to have a chance at the tournament, pay lots of money to the P5 schools.

Because we're good for it. Trust us, guys.
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Yes Ken that’s right, you need a good schedule to get in.

In order to attract a good schedule you have to pay teams lots of money to come play

OSU pays out big money to the big boys they host....why would it be any different for UCF?

If I recall OSU and OU agreed to pay each other something like half a million dollars to the visitor

If UCF doesn’t have that kind of money to host a big school then they need to play away games as you guys have done in the past that I applauded you for in an above post. Indeed you would get a good chunk of change for doing that. OSU pays teams like Akron $250K for visiting.

It’s not hard

At least I didn’t think it was
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

USF was playing FSU for a few years. If I recall, FSU even came to RJS last season to play them. What happened with that? That’s the kind of stuff UCF & FSU should be doing...try to work out games with the in-state P5 schools on a more regular basis...even if they have to travel. It’s not that far and won’t wreck their travel budget. FSU, UF & UM. Then see how things fall out when the next P5 expansion happens. Personally, I think USF will always be G5. Oh well. I still enjoy watching their games.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:15 pm

That’s what I was saying Buc2....good minds and all :P

To some degree in state public schools share resources...if anyone should be looking out for the “little guy” it should be the in-state big school

Now that USF and UCF (heck and even FAU and FIU) are bring good on a much more consistent basis the big schools don’t have to worry about stinker games so much
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Yes Ken that’s right, you need a good schedule to get in.

In order to attract a good schedule you have to pay teams lots of money to come play

OSU pays out big money to the big boys they host....why would it be any different for UCF?

If I recall OSU and OU agreed to pay each other something like half a million dollars to the visitor

If UCF doesn’t have that kind of money to host a big school then they need to play away games as you guys have done in the past that I applauded you for in an above post. Indeed you would get a good chunk of change for doing that. OSU pays teams like Akron $250K for visiting.

It’s not hard

At least I didn’t think it was

I know that big schools pay Sister Mary Clarence School for the Deaf and Blind a ton of money to kick the **** out of them (at least they did, not all do now), but I'm not finding anything about paying each other for a home and home. Can you link me to where you saw what OSU paid Oklahoma for a game in Columbus this year?
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o ... e2def.html

It looks like it was $400,000....I thought I remember $500K in the radio
Zarniwoop

Postby Native Son » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:16 am

UCF should have had the foresight to schedule Fla, FSU and Miami this year instead of their OOC dregs.
But I guess the strength of schedule with that would have been no help there either. :shock:
Native Son

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 am

Ken Carson wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Ken, if the wolfe system or a legit system crowns UCF, that's one thing, but currently only UCF has and that's ridiculous. I just used the AP as an example. Auburn went undefeated and didn't get a national championship in 2004.

Edit: The BCS would have had UCF at 8, according to some.

http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/ratings.htm

Just need the results to hold.

Sorry, Ken.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:

Sorry, Ken.

Won’t matter.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 am

No national champ for UCF.

UCF ranked 6th

Alabama finishes ranked No. 1 by AP; UCF garners 4 first-place votes

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/colleg ... -25-season
Phantom Phenom

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 am

Yeah, I go to college so I can say math only counts when I want it to count!

Pizza for everyone - yay.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 am

You can bet that there was a lot of threats about withdrawing charitable contributions from all five schools.
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 am

It's way past time for this...

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:

Sorry, Ken.

Brutal.

I guess the Priveledged 5 have won again.
Ken Carson

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 am

Remember Ken, when enough threats are made 13-1 becomes better than 13-0.
mdb1958

Postby Kress » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 am

11-1 wasn't. But when 12 and 13 were Clemson and Georgia.....
Kress

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am

Welp, cancel that order.

UCF officially champions: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/f ... story.html
Ken Carson

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk