Draft Watch: Running Backs

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Draft Watch: Running Backs

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I will be quite upset if we end up in the RB bargain bin once again... entering Day 3 with no RB taken and I'm livid. I said the same last year, and look how that turned out...

Dude. Look at the backs that went in the 4th last year.

Perine, Cohen, and Jamaal Williams.

And this year's class has the potential to be BETTER.

3 things:

1. There were also some busts sprinkled into that 4th round as well. Your hit success rate with any pick goes down as the draft goes on.
2. Last years class was deeper- just less good at the top.
3. Last year we traded our 4th so we had to wait until the 5th.

The bottom line is that it should be painfully obvious by now that the Doug Martin era is over and that we are desperate for a RB. Barber could end up a fine #2, but we certainly need another back as we can't afford to be gambling once again...
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

3 things:

1. There were also some busts sprinkled into that 4th round as well. Your hit success rate with any pick goes down as the draft goes on.

The bottom line is that it should be painfully obvious by now that the Doug Martin era is over and that we are desperate for a RB. Barber could end up a fine #2, but we certainly need another back as we can't afford to be gambling once again...

We aren't desperate. We just want to get better.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:3 things:

We aren't desperate. We just want to get better.

So if we went into next season with Barber, Sims, Martin and Rodgers again you wouldn't think that was a major problem? You really don't think we're desperate?
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We aren't desperate. We just want to get better.

So if we went into next season with Barber, Sims, Martin and Rodgers again you wouldn't think that was a major problem? You really don't think we're desperate?

No.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We aren't desperate. We just want to get better.

The only person saying that we are desperate at running back is you.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Well if you guys can't see how bad our backfield is holding this football team back, that's not on me.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 pm

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Desperate may be too strong a word, I think uninspiring would be more accurate. This feels like depending on Earnest Graham all over again. Only not even that good.

While I'd much prefer to spend a day 2 pick on a RB, there are also a few FA that would make me feel a little better should we not. Dion Lewis, Crowell, Hyde, McKinnon... Any of which could be had with just our savings from cutting Doug.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 am

Doctor wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Desperate may be too strong a word, I think uninspiring would be more accurate. This feels like depending on Earnest Graham all over again. Only not even that good.

While I'd much prefer to spend a day 2 pick on a RB, there are also a few FA that would make me feel a little better should we not. Dion Lewis, Crowell, Hyde, McKinnon... Any of which could be had with just our savings from cutting Doug.

Earnest Graham is a great comp. Not necessarily in terms of style. But it's like, "We'll give this guy the ball. He'll give us between 3-5 yards on most of his carries, keep the down and distance manageable, and not get stuffed very often." It's an admission that you plan on beating teams through the air, and just need the ground game to do enough to let that happen.

I don't think that's really a bad approach with this group FWIW. You're going to leave some meat on the bone with a guy like Barber who isn't really a dynamic runner. But you're also going to find yourself in 3rd and 5 instead of 3rd and 9, as we were seemingly every drive with Martin. If we decide not to invest heavily in the RB position this offseason, I think we'd be okay that way.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 am

CB Joshua Jackson or a running back in the 2nd round
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:42 am

Let’s draft the damn RB, no FA RB signings. Just draft one every year, how early depends on what you already have.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:47 am

Brazen331 wrote:Let’s draft the damn RB, no FA RB signings. Just draft one every year, how early depends on what you already have.

That's how I feel about quarterbacks honestly. The old Ron Wolf mentality.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Nick Chubb and Sony Michel as a duo remind me of Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown.

Maybe we draft the Ronnie Brown of the duo this time. (Michel)
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Nick Chubb and Sony Michel as a duo remind me of Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown.

I think Michel would be a very nice complement to Barber. How high does he go? I think I'd love him in round 3, round 2 would be a bit early considering how high our pick is...
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Nick Chubb and Sony Michel as a duo remind me of Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown.

I think Michel would be a very nice complement to Barber. How high does he go? I think I'd love him in round 3, round 2 would be a bit early considering how high our pick is...

He's going to climb after that performance against Oklahoma. He does it against Bama and he might not be there at 39.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

He's going to climb after that performance against Oklahoma. He does it against Bama and he might not be there at 39.

Great point, a monster game against that Bama D in a National Championship game and he could rise big time.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:12 pm

We draft Quinton Flowers and put him in the running back room. We tell him if he can make it work we will throw in some pass options.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Something that may work against this RB class is the fact that it's so deep and great. Like I said in another thread, it's a copy cat league so teams could be scrambling to find their rookie RB star. But at the same time since it is so deep they may feel they can wait and still get a stud. The greatness of the class as a whole may drop actually drop the class as a whole.
Doctor

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Doctor wrote:Something that may work against this RB class is the fact that it's so deep and great. Like I said in another thread, it's a copy cat league so teams could be scrambling to find their rookie RB star. But at the same time since it is so deep they may feel they can wait and still get a stud. The greatness of the class as a whole may drop actually drop the class as a whole.

Once a few are taken there will be a run. It always happens.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm

I've been on the Sony Michel wagon for a while. But he's one of many good RBs in this class.

There will be plenty of good options at pick 39, and even some in rd 3. The question is whether we pull the trigger. We could've had Kamara or Hunt last year but decided to go a different direction and looks like we did ok with Evans-Godwin.

But we should invest a day 2 pick this year imo to ensure we upgrade the talent at RB. I'd prefer not to be hoping we find the next Jordan Howard in round 5 and end up with the next McNichols again.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I've been on the Sony Michel wagon for a while. But he's one of many good RBs in this class.

There will be plenty of good options at pick 39, and even some in rd 3. The question is whether we pull the trigger. We could've had Kamara or Hunt last year but decided to go a different direction and looks like we did ok with Evans-Godwin.

But we should invest a day 2 pick this year imo to ensure we upgrade the talent at RB. I'd prefer not to be hoping we find the next Jordan Howard in round 5 and end up with the next McNichols again.

This is where I'm at. If not Barkley at 7 which is unlikely anyway, we would be wise to get a Day 2 RB. Waiting until Day 3 is way too much of a risk as we saw last year.

I also wouldn't be against a Martin like trade up into late round 1 to get Bryce Love. In fact, that would be my favorite scenario if we managed to get Chubb at 7 and say that Carolina guard and Trumaine Johnson in free agency.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I've been on the Sony Michel wagon for a while. But he's one of many good RBs in this class.

Quinton Flowers has rushed for more yards than him.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I will be quite upset if we end up in the RB bargain bin once again... entering Day 3 with no RB taken and I'm livid. I said the same last year, and look how that turned out...

10 rookies out rushed Peyton Barber, 4 of them barely and only 2 went over a thou. Give Barber over 250 carries he might of got a thou too.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:24 pm

I've been very impressed with Barber. But look at our division

New Orleans: Kamara, Ingram
Atlanta: Freeman, Coleman
Carolina: McCaffery, Stewart

Maybe Barber could be part of a duo. But if he were to be, we'd still need that 2nd guy. Each of those 3 teams used a top 3 round pick on back recently despite having a guy better than Barber...
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 pm

RBF, we have a ninth ranked offense and a last place defense
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:08 pm

mdb1958 wrote:RBF, we have a ninth ranked offense and a last place defense

This is correct.

Besides, who cares if the other teams in our division have committees? If anything, this should galvanize a team to commit their draft resources to stopping them, not committing draft resources to copycat them.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Cheb wrote:

This is correct.

Besides, who cares if the other teams in our division have committees? If anything, this should galvanize a team to commit their draft resources to stopping them, not committing draft resources to copycat them.

I'm pointing out that relying on Barber for next year would be like relying on Martin this year... ie likely failure...
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I want to do what's best for our 23 year old quarterback... and that's getting the young man a run game. It's what's most important for our franchise going forward, giving Winston the best chance as possible for success.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Cheb wrote:
This is correct.

I'm pointing out that relying on Barber for next year would be like relying on Martin this year... ie likely failure...

You don't know that for certain.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm pointing out that relying on Barber for next year would be like relying on Martin this year... ie likely failure...

You don't know that for certain.

Well it would be pretty dumb to gamble on a UDFA with limited career touches to be a feature back, especially when most good offences these days have 2.

But sure, let's punt another season and further stunt Winston. Great plan.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 pm

I agree RBF, it's how we get there where we differ..

Build that run game by drafting/signing a badass OL, not by spending a higher premium pick on a RB..

Now, with that being said I am fully on board with adding fresh legs/blood to our backfield as the Doug Martin experiment better damn well finally be over, Sims can't run worth **** and Quiz is nothing more than a nice change of pace guy.. however I do like how Barber runs..

My top 3 guys RBs for us this year are:

R. Freeman Oregon
Guy reminds me of vintage Michael Turner..runs hard, big bodied guy, lotta wear on the tires though

J. Adams ND
Another big guy, got progressively better over his career, has some nice speed

B. Scarborough Bama
May be my favorite RB, for us, in this class...runs like a man possessed..good speed in the open field, because of the talent in Bama's backfield, he wasn't run into the ground like some previous Tide RBs..

Edit: ****, this was in response to your previous post..should've quoted you, my bad..
Super K

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk