Draft Watch: Running Backs

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Draft Watch: Running Backs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:50 pm

I don't recall where, but MJW said she wasn't keen on Rashaad Penny.

He's feasting on Army right now. Gotta love that speed.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:46 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Love Webb, is he draft eligible?

I think so. Players have until January 15th to declare, I'll thin my list once that all shakes out.

MB, did you hear me say he has been running behind an o-line that has only one senior on it. I gotta admit he has had some 4 lane highways to run thru, when he gets those types of holes he breaks some serious long runs.

He must be to far down the list to get RBF's attention. I say no matter who what when where and how ----- he's done it and its on tape.

Whoops, wrong quote for Penny.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I don't recall where, but MJW said she wasn't keen on Rashaad Penny.

He's a great college runner. You don't have his production otherwise. But his style reeks of bust in the NFL. The short-stepping, the high knees, the lack of decisiveness, the inability to break tackles...He's a poor man's Michael Pittman without the arms.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:43 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I don't recall where, but MJW said she wasn't keen on Rashaad Penny.

He's a great college runner. You don't have his production otherwise. But his style reeks of bust in the NFL. The short-stepping, the high knees, the lack of decisiveness, the inability to break tackles...He's a poor man's Michael Pittman without the arms.

I need to watch more tape on him, but he was none of those things against Army. He was aggressive to the LOS and followed blockers when he ran outside. I'm thinking he might be this year's Kareem Hunt.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am

Oh no, he short steps like a motherfucker...

If he wore a FitBit, the damn thing would explode...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Super K wrote:Oh no, he short steps like a motherfucker...

If he wore a FitBit, the damn thing would explode...

I'll take ya'lls word for it for now.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:41 pm

MJW wrote:

Perfect for... Gruden. Hehe
theBKwhopper

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:06 am

I really need to stop watching Barkley highlights. The more I see him the more I think “Would THIS rb @ #4 be THAT bad??” lol.
PrimeMinister

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:38 am

PrimeMinister wrote:I really need to stop watching Barkley highlights. The more I see him the more I think “Would THIS rb @ #4 be THAT bad??” lol.

If we knew they were the right one ----------------- I'd take a offensive tackle, guard, or center instead of a running back for our seven picks.

On defense it would be defensive end(s), defensive tackle, cornerback, safety ------------------------------ all over a running back.

I'd even hope our perfect draft would be all defense. NWFWTD
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:10 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:I really need to stop watching Barkley highlights. The more I see him the more I think “Would THIS rb @ #4 be THAT bad??” lol.

If we knew they were the right one ----------------- I'd take a offensive tackle, guard, or center instead of a running back for our seven picks.

On defense it would be defensive end(s), defensive tackle, cornerback, safety ------------------------------ all over a running back.

But there's no DE or OT or anything better than Barkely except Fitz and Nelson. The talent level is just so much higher for those three.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Doctor wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

But there's no DE or OT or anything better than Barkely except Fitz and Nelson. The talent level is just so much higher for those three.

So your saying he will be running with Marlon Mack next year?
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Possibly. My dream mock would be Chubb in the first and Guice slip to us in the second.
Doctor

Postby Truck-a-Saurus » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:48 am

I like me some Kalen Ballage out of Arizona State as a late round pick.

6' 2" +, 230, and fast. Really good top end speed, and he can hit the hole and get up to it in a hurry. Not shifty or quick, and not as much of a bruiser as you'd expect at that size, but he's a really good athlete with vision. Returns kicks, catches the ball, hurdles dudes and keeps on going. I'd love to see him in pewter with a 5th or 6th rounder.
Truck-a-Saurus

Postby Teitan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:55 am

Nelson in the first and then Chubb/Guice and our run game will be looking nice.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Teitan wrote:Nelson in the first and then Chubb/Guice and our run game will be looking nice.

We agree for once. Though I think Bryce Love would be my 2nd round target RB. He may lack some size, but we have Barber for goaline/short yardage work. Love to me would be like prime Chris Johnson. A home run threat who would add elite speed to our offence. I really want a RB with some juice. I love the Winston/Evans/Howard combo going forward, but adding a 4.3 type RB to them would just be deadly.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Truck-a-Saurus wrote:I like me some Kalen Ballage out of Arizona State as a late round pick.

6' 2" +, 230, and fast. Really good top end speed, and he can hit the hole and get up to it in a hurry. Not shifty or quick, and not as much of a bruiser as you'd expect at that size, but he's a really good athlete with vision. Returns kicks, catches the ball, hurdles dudes and keeps on going. I'd love to see him in pewter with a 5th or 6th rounder.

Notes I took on Bellange...Think it was against Washington.

Pretty good pass blocker and catcher. Would like to see more fierceness when he runs. Leans into contact which makes him stumble.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Teitan wrote:Nelson in the first and then Chubb/Guice and our run game will be looking nice.

+1
beardmcdoug

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

+1

+2
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm still pretty convinced we would have taken Cook last year if OJ wasn't there, and we were totally trying to trade up for him in Day 2. It's clear the FO wants a new back and this is one heck of a draft to get one. I mean when you can get a guy like Bo Scarborough possibly in the 5th, you know it's a deep draft class. The trick, as always, is separating the contenders from the pretenders. I think that's going to be particularly tricky this year.
Doctor

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Doctor wrote:I'm still pretty convinced we would have taken Cook last year if OJ wasn't there, and we were totally trying to trade up for him in Day 2. It's clear the FO wants a new back and this is one heck of a draft to get one. I mean when you can get a guy like Bo Scarborough possibly in the 5th, you know it's a deep draft class. The trick, as always, is separating the contenders from the pretenders. I think that's going to be particularly tricky this year.

Scarborough is a pretender, IMO.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm still pretty convinced we would have taken Cook last year if OJ wasn't there, and we were totally trying to trade up for him in Day 2. It's clear the FO wants a new back and this is one heck of a draft to get one. I mean when you can get a guy like Bo Scarborough possibly in the 5th, you know it's a deep draft class. The trick, as always, is separating the contenders from the pretenders. I think that's going to be particularly tricky this year.

hey USC, I've come to value your opinion - can you give me some quick notes on why you think this? I've only caught a couple games when he was featured, and both times he looked LEGIT - big and physical with pretty decent top speed. But then I never really heard much buzz around him after I saw those games. Why the lack of buzz? Not all there in the head or somethin?
beardmcdoug

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

hey USC, I've come to value your opinion - can you give me some quick notes on why you think this? I've only caught a couple games when he was featured, and both times he looked LEGIT - big and physical with pretty decent top speed. But then I never really heard much buzz around him after I saw those games. Why the lack of buzz? Not all there in the head or somethin?

I was going to elaborate originally, but I was called on in my meeting.

He's a big freaky looking athlete. He's a beast in the weight room and has a nice initial burst of speed. He's not elite in top end speed (lacks the 5th gear dread was talking about). His biggest problem and why he doesn't get more carries/isn't more productive is his lack of vision. He's terrible at reading blocks. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him go full speed into a lineman, missing the hole. Even when he does find the hole, he has issues getting skinny through it. He just tries to plod through, slowing himself down. This is something people always say can be fixed, but it's the biggest reason for failure at the next level.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:08 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

I was going to elaborate originally, but I was called on in my meeting.

He's a big freaky looking athlete. He's a beast in the weight room and has a nice initial burst of speed. He's not elite in top end speed (lacks the 5th gear dread was talking about). His biggest problem and why he doesn't get more carries/isn't more productive is his lack of vision. He's terrible at reading blocks. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him go full speed into a lineman, missing the hole. Even when he does find the hole, he has issues getting skinny through it. He just tries to plod through, slowing himself down. This is something people always say can be fixed, but it's the biggest reason for failure at the next level.

thanks. makes perfect sense.
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Kerryon Johnson from Auburn declared yesterday.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 pm

Not the biggest Kerryon fan. I put him in the Ronald Jones group, I"d take him in the mid rounds as they do have upside, but something just seems off with them and that upright style.

For me it goes:
1. Barkley
2.A) Guice
2. B) Love

and after those 3 I'm tempted by the 2 Georgia runners and Damien Harris. if I'm looking for a gy to complement Barber in the 2nd round, Love is at the top of the board, and then I think I like Sony Michel.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Not the biggest Kerryon fan. I put him in the Ronald Jones group, I"d take him in the mid rounds as they do have upside, but something just seems off with them and that upright style.

For me it goes:
1. Barkley
2.A) Guice
2. B) Love

and after those 3 I'm tempted by the 2 Georgia runners and Damien Harris. if I'm looking for a gy to complement Barber in the 2nd round, Love is at the top of the board, and then I think I like Sony Michel.

I like those same three guys.

Kerryon to me is a third down back at the next level, but that doesn't mean he's worthless.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Not the biggest Kerryon fan. I put him in the Ronald Jones group, I"d take him in the mid rounds as they do have upside, but something just seems off with them and that upright style.

For me it goes:
1. Barkley
2.A) Guice
2. B) Love

I like those same three guys.

Kerryon to me is a third down back at the next level, but that doesn't mean he's worthless.

If there's a run on RBs, I'd take him in round 3. Same with Jones. I mean we're that desperate. Can't go into Day 3 looking for another RB again and end up with McNichols 2.0...
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 pm

With this class, there's going to be some day 3 value at RB.

Pettway, Webb, Nall, Chunn, LJ Scott
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:With this class, there's going to be some day 3 value at RB.

I will be quite upset if we end up in the RB bargain bin once again... entering Day 3 with no RB taken and I'm livid. I said the same last year, and look how that turned out...
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:With this class, there's going to be some day 3 value at RB.

I will be quite upset if we end up in the RB bargain bin once again... entering Day 3 with no RB taken and I'm livid. I said the same last year, and look how that turned out...

Dude. Look at the backs that went in the 4th last year.

Perine, Cohen, and Jamaal Williams.

And this year's class has the potential to be BETTER.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk