Draft Watch: Running Backs

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Draft Watch: Running Backs

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Even if you believe that, Barber can be that guy. Bottom line is you don't pass on Barkley at 7 when you are as desperate at the position as we are...

I'd pass on him if what I thought was a better prospect at a position of need was there (Nelson, Chubb, Fitz, or Ward). Other than that, no I wouldn't. Elite talent is elite talent. I'd worry that Koetter could effectively use a player like Barkley.

All you have to do is give him the rock.

And the only guy in this draft who compares to Barkleys in terms of pure grade is Nelson. Chubb, Fitz, and Ward are very good prospects, but they are more B+ guy's than A+ guys.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I'd pass on him if what I thought was a better prospect at a position of need was there (Nelson, Chubb, Fitz, or Ward). Other than that, no I wouldn't. Elite talent is elite talent. I'd worry that Koetter could effectively use a player like Barkley.

All you have to do is give him the rock.

And the only guy in this draft who compares to Barkleys in terms of pure grade is Nelson. Chubb, Fitz, and Ward are very good prospects, but they are more B+ guy's than A+ guys.

As you know, certain positions have more value than others. I think Chubb and Ward are B+ guys at more coveted positions, upping their value. I think Fitz is right there with Nelson and Barkley as the top 3 overall talents.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:31 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:All you have to do is give him the rock.

As you know, certain positions have more value than others. I think Chubb and Ward are B+ guys at more coveted positions, upping their value. I think Fitz is right there with Nelson and Barkley as the top 3 overall talents.

Don't disagree with that. But I don't consider safety or guard premium positions, so I'm not taking either of those guys over Barkley if given the choice.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:All you have to do is give him the rock.

Fitz is not a special talent like Barkley and Nelson, or even Chubb. Its debatable that Fitz is even the best safety in this draft, as many consider James to be a better DB.
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 pm

terrytate wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:As you know, certain positions have more value than others. I think Chubb and Ward are B+ guys at more coveted positions, upping their value. I think Fitz is right there with Nelson and Barkley as the top 3 overall talents.

Fitz is not a special talent like Barkley and Nelson, or even Chubb. Its debatable that Fitz is even the best safety in this draft, as many consider James to be a better DB.

That's your opinion, which I do not agree with. I could say it's debatable that Barkley is even the best RB in the draft as there are anonymous GMs and a few talking heads that say it's Guice. I don't agree with that either, but everyone shows their ***hole this time of year.

All season long and after the season Fitz was considered in the top 4 of most talented players in the draft. It wasn't even the combine that dropped him, it was people questioning where he would play, they have turned a strength to a weakness, but everything coming from GMs seems to point to they still love him (if you can even believe that stuff). I've said numerous times, that I don't know how anyone watches tape and considers James close to Fitz. I don't even like James much.

As far as Chubb, that's another difference of opinion. After the season Chubb was a B+ player who was coined as a high motor guy. Not a freak to level of Clowney or Garrett, but after things surfaced that Key had too many question marks and Davenport had an extremely hot/cold offseason, Chubb being the only top level edge has increased his value. He's not any better of a player than he was the day the season ended, just like Fitz isn't any worse. I think Fitz is an elite, extremely rare talent. I think the tape backs it up. We'll see how things pan out in the NFL.
uscbucsfan

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:06 pm

SR’s Fab 5: If He’s There, Bucs Must Draft Barkley; Tampa Bay High On Hines
Posted By: Scott Reynoldson: March 30, 201875 Comments Print Email
SHARES
115Share on Facebook25Share on Twitter75Comments
FAB 2. Bucs Targeting Multi-Talented RB Hines

You know the Buccaneers need to draft a running back next month. And you know the names of the star-studded group of runners from this sensational running back class whom the Buccaneers are interested in.

Penn State’s Saquon Barkley, LSU’s Derrius Guice, Georgia’s Sony Michel and Nick Chubb, USC’s Ronald Jones II, San Diego State’s Rashaad Penny and Auburn’s Kerryon Johnson. There is a very good chance those seven backs will be drafted in the first three rounds, and with only Peyton Barber and Jacquizz Rodgers on the roster, the Bucs have varying degrees of interest in each of them.

But there’s another name to know. North Carolina State’s speedy Nyheim Hines, who is a fast riser up NFL Draft boards.

N.C. State RB Nyheim Hines - Photo by: Getty Images
N.C. State RB Nyheim Hines – Photo by: Getty Images

Unless you follow N.C. State football, Hines’ claim to fame is that he was the fastest running back at the NFL Scouting Combine, running a 4.38 in the 40-yard dash.

Hines, a junior entry, has really caught the Bucs’ eye this offseason. They’ve attended his pro day workout in Raleigh, N.C., had running backs coach Tim Spencer put him through an individual workout and he’s expected to be one of Tampa Bay’s 30 official pre-draft visits to One Buc Place in April.

At 5-foot-8, 198 pounds, Hines isn’t big enough to shoulder the load and be a feature back at the NFL level. In fact, he only carried the ball 197 times for 1,112 yards (5.6 avg.) with 12 touchdowns in Hines’ lone season as the Wolfpack’s primary ballcarrier last year.

But what he can bring is someone to replace Charles Sims as Tampa Bay’s pass-catching, change-of-pace back on third downs. Hines rushed for 243 yards and a touchdown on 48 carries (5.1 avg.) as a freshman, while catching 20 passes for 256 yards (12.8 avg.) and one touchdown. He was moved to wide receiver as a sophomore, catching 43 passes for 525 yards (12.2 avg.), and carrying the ball 13 times for 44 yards (3.4 avg.).

In addition to topping 1,000 yards rushing for the first time in his career as a junior, Hines also caught 26 passes for 152 yards (5.8 avg.) out of the backfield.

“He’s a shorter guy, but he’s stocky and strong,” Former Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher said before Hines rushed for 94 yards and caught an 8-yard pass in a 27-21 home loss to the Wolfpack. “He’s almost 195-200 pounds and he can break arm tackles. He’s hard to get down. He can run routes. He can get the ball in space.”

Hines, who competed with the Wolfpack track team, was an All-American as the leadoff runner in the 4x100m relay that won the ACC title. He used his sprinter’s speed to return two kickoffs for touchdowns and a punt return for a touchdown during his three years at N.C. State.

“Whether he returns it or runs it, he just makes plays all over the daggum field,” Wolfpack head coach Dave Doeren said. “He just hates not playing well. He plays football like he runs track. He’s trying to get a personal best all the time.”

While not being the biggest back, Hines has showed the ability to run between the tackles as well as outside on zone plays. He eclipsed 100 yards in three straight wins against Syracuse, Louisville and Pittsburgh. After scoring two touchdowns against the Cardinals, Hines ripped off a career-long 83-yard touchdown run against the Panthers the next week while rushing for 135 yards on 16 carries (8.4 avg.). Hines also had a 92-yard punt return for a touchdown in the 35-17 victory at Pittsburgh.

After being stymied at Notre Dame and against Clemson, Hines rushed for 110 yards, including a 50-yard game-winning touchdown in the fourth quarter of a gritty 17-14 win at Boston College. He ended the season in style with a career-high 196 yards and two scores on 22 carries (8.9 avg.), including scoring jaunts from 54 yards and 48 yards. With two catches for 13 yards, Hines topped 200 yards on offense against the cross-state rivals.

Growing up in nearby Garner, North Carolina, Hines wasn’t going to miss the rivalry game despite recovering from a concussion he sustained on a punt return the previous week against Wake Forest. Hines returned to the lineup to post a career-high 26 touches on offense against the Tar Heels.

“Growing up here, it’s just really important for me to play in this game and I just knew I wouldn’t miss this game for anything,” Hines said. “I’d basically just have to break an arm or a leg not to play.”

That’s the kind of competitiveness and toughness Bucs general manager Jason Licht loves in players.

“He just plays angry,” Doeren said. “He’s competitive. He’s spirited. He’s super-talented. He’s the most competitive guy on the field at times.”

Hines is projected to be a third- or fourth-round draft pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. PewterReport.com has him going to Tampa Bay in the fourth round of our latest 2018 Bucs’ 7-Round Mock Draft, and because he’s undersized he might fall. But there is also a chance that because of his speed and his running, receiving and kick return ability, Hines could be blazing up draft board and the Bucs may have to trade down to acquire more picks to be able to snag him late on Day 2.
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:12 pm

I can see a RB like Nyheim Hines. Remember Dirk turned 5'7 210lb MJD into the rushing title winner in 2011. MJD had like 5600 yard over three years for the Jags. Under Mike Smith in 2014 Dirk drafted Devonta Freeman, 5'8 206lbs. Freeman signed a five-year, $41.25 million contract extension with the Falcons to become the highest paid running back in the NFL last year. And Hines could be paired with Barber for all those Barber lovers out there. I would much rather get a guy like Guice, Michel, or Chubbs, but this could be a total DK move.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 am

Doctor wrote:I can see a RB like Nyheim Hines. Remember Dirk turned 5'7 210lb MJD into the rushing title winner in 2011. MJD had like 5600 yard over three years for the Jags. Under Mike Smith in 2014 Dirk drafted Devonta Freeman, 5'8 206lbs. Freeman signed a five-year, $41.25 million contract extension with the Falcons to become the highest paid running back in the NFL last year. And Hines could be paired with Barber for all those Barber lovers out there. I would much rather get a guy like Guice, Michel, or Chubbs, but this could be a total DK move.

There's been a lot of connect the dots with us and Hines during the process. Could be something, could be nothing. The thing is, 2nd round is probably too high, 4th round he's likely gone.

FWIW, based on what I've seen Freeman is a pretty good comp.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 am

If we somehow fail to address RB on either Day 1 or 2 once again, Hines could be a nice target. He certainly has potential due to his athletic talent. But there's a big bust factor here, he can't pass protect and is raw as a pass catcher- and due to his size that's the role he needs to excel at if he wants to be an impact guy like a Kamara or McCaffery. He's a classic high risk high reward player, I just don't think we can afford the risk.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 am

Lance Zierlein just tweeted that after Barkley, Penny is the RB in this draft teams are most excited about.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Lance Zierlein just tweeted that after Barkley, Penny is the RB in this draft teams are most excited about.

Wow, really? More chance Guice falls to the second.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Doctor wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Lance Zierlein just tweeted that after Barkley, Penny is the RB in this draft teams are most excited about.

Wow, really? More chance Guice falls to the second.

I think teams are worried about Guice's makeup, dude is a headcase on the field.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm

(Guice promptly gets selected in the low teens and is the 2nd RB off the board)
Super K

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:36 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
terrytate wrote:

That's your opinion, which I do not agree with. I could say it's debatable that Barkley is even the best RB in the draft as there are anonymous GMs and a few talking heads that say it's Guice. I don't agree with that either, but everyone shows their ***hole this time of year.

All season long and after the season Fitz was considered in the top 4 of most talented players in the draft. It wasn't even the combine that dropped him, it was people questioning where he would play, they have turned a strength to a weakness, but everything coming from GMs seems to point to they still love him (if you can even believe that stuff). I've said numerous times, that I don't know how anyone watches tape and considers James close to Fitz. I don't even like James much.

As far as Chubb, that's another difference of opinion. After the season Chubb was a B+ player who was coined as a high motor guy. Not a freak to level of Clowney or Garrett, but after things surfaced that Key had too many question marks and Davenport had an extremely hot/cold offseason, Chubb being the only top level edge has increased his value. He's not any better of a player than he was the day the season ended, just like Fitz isn't any worse. I think Fitz is an elite, extremely rare talent. I think the tape backs it up. We'll see how things pan out in the NFL.

Tend to agree with most of this.I do think Barkley is top rb, but I get your point on the rest. I totally agree with your Fitz take.However I think the combine indirectly affected him in the fact it started the James talk.Also agree with TerryTate Nelson is real deal.
LavonteDavid54

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:12 am

You know? First off I think Barber runs hard and is aggressive and hits any semblance of daylight with authority.I think our passing protection and Jameis constant pressure proves it's more than just the " backs fault" my point being. I'd like Michel, Ronald Jones if I had to choose. But here's an idea. What if our HC decided to treat a short passing attack as a substitute for a running game like 70% of the NFL does now on early downs?? Djax, Humphries, etc quick slants, miss direction screens,some rub routes/ picks , or the quick 4-5 yard vertical strike to slot guy or TE to get the quick 3-5 yards on first making 2nd n 5 . As opposed to all things vertical. Many teams are 4,5 wide on 3rd n 1 3rd n 2. His play calling could easily generate the 4-5 1st down yards a solid ground game gives ya.It would also be using the pass to set up the run. Get the D pass conscience then let Barber run hard looking to catch bodies along the way or Michel with that hard aggressive burst . Which by the end opens up Evans and Djax with deeper shots down gield with higher % of success cus we are killing them on early downs. This they can't send the house knowing it's a deep pass play.Its a RB thread I like quick strike guys ( Michel, Ronald Jones) but there is another way to get the same huge benefits a good ground game does that options a plethora of options in other play calling areas specifically in the pass.As for strictly RBs Chubb seems too similar to Barber, and I'm not big on tall upright runners.Anyways apologize for long rants, I love this team n the draft in peticuliar.(I ask for your understanding)I want new unis as much as any player. That would help in winning too.
LavonteDavid54

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:26 am

How many RB's get drafted this year? It was 30 last year.
mdb1958

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 pm

VauntedTampa2

Postby MJW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:01 am

LavonteDavid54 wrote:You know? First off I think Barber runs hard and is aggressive and hits any semblance of daylight with authority.I think our passing protection and Jameis constant pressure proves it's more than just the " backs fault" my point being. I'd like Michel, Ronald Jones if I had to choose. But here's an idea. What if our HC decided to treat a short passing attack as a substitute for a running game like 70% of the NFL does now on early downs?? Djax, Humphries, etc quick slants, miss direction screens,some rub routes/ picks , or the quick 4-5 yard vertical strike to slot guy or TE to get the quick 3-5 yards on first making 2nd n 5 . As opposed to all things vertical. Many teams are 4,5 wide on 3rd n 1 3rd n 2. His play calling could easily generate the 4-5 1st down yards a solid ground game gives ya.It would also be using the pass to set up the run. Get the D pass conscience then let Barber run hard looking to catch bodies along the way or Michel with that hard aggressive burst . Which by the end opens up Evans and Djax with deeper shots down gield with higher % of success cus we are killing them on early downs. This they can't send the house knowing it's a deep pass play.Its a RB thread I like quick strike guys ( Michel, Ronald Jones) but there is another way to get the same huge benefits a good ground game does that options a plethora of options in other play calling areas specifically in the pass.As for strictly RBs Chubb seems too similar to Barber, and I'm not big on tall upright runners.Anyways apologize for long rants, I love this team n the draft in peticuliar.(I ask for your understanding)I want new unis as much as any player. That would help in winning too.

I agree with everything you're saying. Short passing, better run blocking, and Barber getting 4 when he's blocked for 2 or 3 and keeping the downs manageable. This is such a better idea than what people seem to want that I can't even.

But really, dude...it's called the enter key. It's two over from your right pinkie if you're on the home keys.
MJW

Postby Terp » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 pm

The thing I like about Barber is he gets 4 when he’s blocked for 2.

The thing I don’t like about Barber is he gets 4 when he’s blocked for 20.
Terp

Postby Nano » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 pm

You need to upgrade you sig Terp
Nano

Postby Terp » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 pm

What is it? Better question... who uses full style?
Terp

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:44 am

Terp wrote:The thing I like about Barber is he gets 4 when he’s blocked for 2.

C'mon now, 6, maybe 7!

I get it. I just think offenses function better when a back can consistently gain positive yardage on early downs instead of getting stuffed because he's trying to hit homeruns. It's great when you find a guy who can do both those things. But I have no problem with a back who goes 20-80 and consistently puts us in 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3. I think that's winning football. I don't think it's a coincidence that Barry never won anything in Detroit. Not to undermine his singular brilliance as a runner. But when you're putting your team at 2nd and 13 a half-dozen times a game, you're making it very difficult on your offense, even if you do break a big run or two that leads to points.
MJW

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:03 am

MJW wrote:

C'mon now, 6, maybe 7!

I get it. I just think offenses function better when a back can consistently gain positive yardage on early downs instead of getting stuffed because he's trying to hit homeruns. It's great when you find a guy who can do both those things. But I have no problem with a back who goes 20-80 and consistently puts us in 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3. I think that's winning football. I don't think it's a coincidence that Barry never won anything in Detroit. Not to undermine his singular brilliance as a runner. But when you're putting your team at 2nd and 13 a half-dozen times a game, you're making it very difficult on your offense, even if you do break a big run or two that leads to points.

Agreed...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:13 am

MJW wrote:

C'mon now, 6, maybe 7!

Yep. If we didn't have the weapons in the passing game that we had I could see making a case for needing a game breaking RB. But as we move forward let's make no bones about it. This is Jameis Winston's team. We are going to live and die by his arm. The run game around here will be utilized in the same way it's used for other top QBs. As a means to keep defenses honest and set up PA.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:01 am

Ja'Quan Gardner RB - I cant find any times for this guys pro day. Anybody got any numbers on this guy?
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:16 am

A game breaking RB would only help PA and Winston to be clear...
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:
C'mon now, 6, maybe 7!

Yep. If we didn't have the weapons in the passing game that we had I could see making a case for needing a game breaking RB. But as we move forward let's make no bones about it. This is Jameis Winston's team. We are going to live and die by his arm. The run game around here will be utilized in the same way it's used for other top QBs. As a means to keep defenses honest and set up PA.

An elite QB does not preclude an the need for an elite back, especially if said back is an outstanding receiver. I point to Warner with Faulk, Manning with Edge, Montana with Craig or most recently, Brees with his stable of stud RBs.

Notice the Brees was blowing up the passing game and yet the Saints were still mediocre, until they got Kamara.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:47 am

terrytate wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

An elite QB does not preclude an the need for an elite back, especially if said back is an outstanding receiver. I point to Warner with Faulk, Manning with Edge, Montana with Craig or most recently, Brees with his stable of stud RBs.

Notice the Brees was blowing up the passing game and yet the Saints were still mediocre, until they got Kamara.

I'm talking in terms of winning championships not in terms of winning passing titles and rushing titles. Top QB play is what has won most championships over the past few years. Not elite RBs.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:53 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I'm talking in terms of winning championships not in terms of winning passing titles and rushing titles. Top QB play is what has won most championships over the past few years. Not elite RBs.

No disagreement there. My point is that even an elite passing offense benefits from the balance provided by a capable back, especially when that back fits in to the passing game. Again, look at Kamara. How much would Jameis benefit from a checkdown option that can break big gains from a simple dumpoff? Guys like Barkley would revitalize the run game and be in important part of that pass game. Not to mention that a capable run game will provide Jameis with the ability to sell play action get people to bite.

Edit: fixed my post. Posting from my phone makes me screw up a lot.
Last edited by terrytate on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
terrytate

Postby GameTime » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:21 am

RBs are overrated, hope we dont take one til 3rd day at least.
GameTime

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk