Draft Watch: Running Backs

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Draft Watch: Running Backs

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Like it or not, I think we will be taking a RB if not Day 1, but on Day 2 of this draft. Barber looks like he could be part of the solution, but he needs a running mate. Thought we could use a thread to specifically talk about the RBs.

Out of the guys I've looked at, my top 5 at the position currently goes:
1. Saquan Barkley (Complete package)
2. Derrius Guice (Size/speed demon)
3. A) Bryce Love (undersized speed threat, but underrated inside runner)
3. B) Damian Harris (complete package)
5. Ronald Jones (slippery, great feet, but upright runner who is undersized)

Would love any of those guys in round 2, though Jones a bit less. Barkley sets himself apart mostly in the pass game, but that's a very talented top 5 IMO in terms of rushing the ball, but those other 4 need to prove they can be threats catching the ball. Freeman and Chubb are nice Day 2 prospects but with Barber emerging we probably want someone who brings a different element. Ito Smith is a guy I really like in the mid/late rounds. Guy is quietly the complete package despite not having elite physical traits.

Anyways, RB discussion can be had here. This is not a thread for debating whether to take a RB, rather about the running back prospects themselves and how they grade.
real bucs fan

Re: Draft Watch: Running Backs

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 pm

I don't think we take a RB that high. I'm not fully convinced that its set in stop that we move on from Doug Martin. That much aside the guard play on this team has been putrid. Won't do us much good to not upgrade the Oline while getting more running backs. I think our best bet is to draft young linemen and sign a RB in FA.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Sony Micheal from Georgia is guy I like, maybe round 3?

Guice is another, but he may not be there in rd 2 (plus my way too early rd 2 draft crush for the Bucs is already Billy Price).

Lots of good RBs again though. Look forward to diving into the RB class later...
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 pm

I think you'll see Barkley go top 10, and then Guice in the mid/late first. My hope is that Love slides to our 2nd. I think he could due to his size (195lbs) and the fact he hasn't been used as a receiver (though Bucky Brooks think he has monster upside there), because generally speaking undersized RBs who don't catch the ball don't go in the first round these days.

That said, I think Love can be an absolute superstar in this league. He knows how navigate the line of scrimmage and get something out of nothing, and once he gets into the open field it's game over. Legit 4.3 speed from the RB position is rare, but Love has it.He would complement Barber beautifully, as well he'd add a speed element to an offence that is being built around twin towers in Evans and Howard.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I think you'll see Barkley go top 10, and then Guice in the mid/late first. My hope is that Love slides to our 2nd. I think he could due to his size (195lbs) and the fact he hasn't been used as a receiver (though Bucky Brooks think he has monster upside there), because generally speaking undersized RBs who don't catch the ball don't go in the first round these days.

That said, I think Love can be an absolute superstar in this league. He knows how navigate the line of scrimmage and get something out of nothing, and once he gets into the open field it's game over. Legit 4.3 speed from the RB position is rare, but Love has it.He would complement Barber beautifully, as well he'd add a speed element to an offence that is being built around twin towers in Evans and Howard.

I was very impressed with Love as a person during the Heisman show. He's been playing on the dreaded high ankle sprain most of the season, but checking out his early season stuff and we see the explosion. He runs much bigger than his size indicates.

Me likey Love.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm

I was buying into the hype on Barkley, but I really had a chance to watch him, and I don't love him. He's shifty and explosive and he has good hands, but he's a bouncer. He doesn't follow his blockers into the hole with any regularity. A lot of his big plays as a runner were due to college defenders taking bad angles or over-committing to holes. That won't happen in the NFL. Nor will he see a highway of green grass every time he jump-cuts out of the assigned lane. He'll see an unblocked defender. Ironically his real value is as a pass-catcher, which is exactly why some knocked down McCaffrey last year. He's a BIGGER dude, but I don't see him as an effective inside runner in the NFL, at least for as high as he'll get drafted.

For those of you who are old enough to get the reference...Blair Thomas. Lotta Blair Thomas there in the way he plays. Much bigger dude of course. Shifty, good burst, good receiver, not an inside runner, overdrafted, okay career. Watching Blair Thomas run at Penn State at 205 lbs, he looked more physical than Barkley does at 230. Barkley has highlights where he blasts dudes, but play in, play out, he's looking to avoid contact.

Guice I like a lot more. He's a much better inside runner. His legs never stop moving. He initiates contact when necessary. His speed his elite. I look at him and I see Edgerrin James, almost exactly. Like Edgerrin James, he isn't the most hyped guy in this competition but I think he's going to have the best career. If we're dumb enough to use a first round pick on another weapon, he should be the guy.

Bryce Love is what he is. Too small for every down duty but really fast. I think top ten is way too high and I honestly don't think he's what this team needs in the 2nd, either. I think he should play in a ZBS and even then I think you're capping his touches. The Packers have a really similar guy they drafted last year, Aaron Jones. Jones isn't as explosive but I think he's what you're talking about with Love. And he was a 5th rounder.

Damian Harris is an inferior version of Mark Ingram. He'll probably have a productive career, but I don't see star attributes there. I actually like Scarbrough better. These Alabama backs, their blocking is SO good that unless they're displaying umistakable elite traits, I think they end up getting overdrafted.

I don't like Jones for the reason you said - he runs very upright. He does a good job squaring his shoulders but his style is not going to work well in the NFL. Fumbles and injuries will be problems unless he adapts, and with his build I don't know how much he can.

I'm not a Nick Chubb fan. He's a plodder. He'll be as good as his blocking allows him to be. We may as well roll with Barber.

The guy I'm really paying attention to is Sony Michel. Quick, fast, violent, and he's North-South. One cut and the foot gets planted and his shoulders are squared, and the first guy isn't going to tackle him unless he's ready. I would be shocked if he isn't a better NFL back than Chubb.

None of this mitigates the fact that it's impossible to watch this team, with our two elite receivers and our two elite tight ends, and our horrid run blocking and bad cornerback play and the worst rush in the NFL, and say, "You know what this situation needs? More toys!"
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 pm

MJW wrote:I was buying into the hype on Barkley, but I really had a chance to watch him, and I don't love him. He's shifty and explosive and he has good hands, but he's a bouncer. He doesn't follow his blockers into the hole with any regularity. A lot of his big plays as a runner were due to college defenders taking bad angles or over-committing to holes. That won't happen in the NFL. Nor will he see a highway of green grass every time he jump-cuts out of the assigned lane. He'll see an unblocked defender. Ironically his real value is as a pass-catcher, which is exactly why some knocked down McCaffrey last year. He's a BIGGER dude, but I don't see him as an effective inside runner in the NFL, at least for as high as he'll get drafted.

For those of you who are old enough to get the reference...Blair Thomas. Lotta Blair Thomas there in the way he plays. Much bigger dude of course. Shifty, good burst, good receiver, not an inside runner, overdrafted, okay career. Watching Blair Thomas run at Penn State at 205 lbs, he looked more physical than Barkley does at 230. Barkley has highlights where he blasts dudes, but play in, play out, he's looking to avoid contact.

Guice I like a lot more. He's a much better inside runner. His legs never stop moving. He initiates contact when necessary. His speed his elite. I look at him and I see Edgerrin James, almost exactly. Like Edgerrin James, he isn't the most hyped guy in this competition but I think he's going to have the best career. If we're dumb enough to use a first round pick on another weapon, he should be the guy.

Bryce Love is what he is. Too small for every down duty but really fast. I think top ten is way too high and I honestly don't think he's what this team needs in the 2nd, either. I think he should play in a ZBS and even then I think you're capping his touches. The Packers have a really similar guy they drafted last year, Aaron Jones. Jones isn't as explosive but I think he's what you're talking about with Love. And he was a 5th rounder.

Damian Harris is an inferior version of Mark Ingram. He'll probably have a productive career, but I don't see star attributes there. I actually like Scarbrough better. These Alabama backs, their blocking is SO good that unless they're displaying umistakable elite traits, I think they end up getting overdrafted.

I don't like Jones for the reason you said - he runs very upright. He does a good job squaring his shoulders but his style is not going to work well in the NFL. Fumbles and injuries will be problems unless he adapts, and with his build I don't know how much he can.

I'm not a Nick Chubb fan. He's a plodder. He'll be as good as his blocking allows him to be. We may as well roll with Barber.

The guy I'm really paying attention to is Sony Michel. Quick, fast, violent, and he's North-South. One cut and the foot gets planted and his shoulders are squared, and the first guy isn't going to tackle him unless he's ready. I would be shocked if he isn't a better NFL back than Chubb.

None of this mitigates the fact that it's impossible to watch this team, with our two elite receivers and our two elite tight ends, and our horrid run blocking and bad cornerback play and the worst rush in the NFL, and say, "You know what this situation needs? More toys!"

Nice breakdown, though disagree on many points. Guice and Jones we seem to be on the same page, but I like Love and Harris alot. Alotta folks are going to downgrade Love due to his size, but he's the real deal IMO. He's an excellent inside runner and his speed is rare. He might not be a bellcow, but if Peyton Barber finishes the year strong, we can view him as the hard yards guy. Love is going to be a major playmaker. Harris is also very different player from Ingram. Ingram is/was a bowling ball and while Ingram has his Heisman, I actually view Harris as the better prospect (not that Ingram is chopped liver). Harris is more explosive, and he has a more versatile skilset. To me he's being lost within all the talent at Bama much like Howard was last year. If I recall he was the top back of that 2015 high school class, ahead of Guice and Barkley. I can't quite put my finger on who Harris reminds me of, but I think he's going to be an all around stud at the next level.

Last offseason we got the weapons for Winston, but now we need to address the run game. Our run game has been pathetic for 2 years. We certainly need to address our pass rush, but the run game is right there. Fixing the run game will make Winston better, this offence better, heck it'll help the defence too. Enough is enough, it needs to be addressed.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:56 pm

MJW wrote:I was buying into the hype on Barkley, but I really had a chance to watch him, and I don't love him. He's shifty and explosive and he has good hands, but he's a bouncer. He doesn't follow his blockers into the hole with any regularity. A lot of his big plays as a runner were due to college defenders taking bad angles or over-committing to holes. That won't happen in the NFL. Nor will he see a highway of green grass every time he jump-cuts out of the assigned lane. He'll see an unblocked defender. Ironically his real value is as a pass-catcher, which is exactly why some knocked down McCaffrey last year. He's a BIGGER dude, but I don't see him as an effective inside runner in the NFL, at least for as high as he'll get drafted.

I've been hitting on this all season. Barkley also goes down upon first contact FAR too often for a back his size. I think he's really good, but he's just not on that top echelon of RB prospects IMO. He is the next step down from Gurley, Fournette, or even Elliot (who is below those two) in the last few drafts.
uscbucsfan

Postby Cheb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:06 pm

There's a running back in this draft who I like alot. He's number 6 on the NCAA career rushing yards list and number 10 in rushing TDs. He's produced for four straight years in a Power 5 conference. Never averaged less than 5 yards per carry on a season. Indeed, his stats are impressive. His average season is 15 rushing TDs, 1405 yards on 236 carries for a healthy average of about 6 yards per rush. He has speed in the open field to outrun DBs, he has power to run over linebackers, he has the wiggle and shake to make you miss in a phone booth. He's got good size at 5'11", 230lb, and good functional strength without being plodding. This guy is a team captain, and was a second team All-American last year. Last year, he got dinged up a bit, missed a few games, and still nearly got 1000 rushing yards.

Walterfootball lists him as their 11th best running back. This thread has only mentioned him once, and then only in passing.

Royce Freeman in the third or fourth round would be an excellent pickup. Sure, he wasn't used much as a pass catcher, but that was more for lack of looks than lack of ability.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:08 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

I've been hitting on this all season. Barkley also goes down upon first contact FAR too often for a back his size. I think he's really good, but he's just not on that top echelon of RB prospects IMO. He is the next step down from Gurley, Fournette, or even Elliot (who is below those two) in the last few drafts.

I dunno... I'd say Barkley is perhaps the most blue chip out of all those guys. Gurley had his knee injury, Fournette (while obviously a beast) was heavy and lacks receiving skills, even Elliott had the character concerns. Barkley has prototypical size, speed, production, and is a complete all around player who's a big time weapon in the passing game.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Cheb wrote:There's a running back in this draft who I like alot. He's number 6 on the NCAA career rushing yards list and number 10 in rushing TDs. He's produced for four straight years in a Power 5 conference. Never averaged less than 5 yards per carry on a season. Indeed, his stats are impressive. His average season is 15 rushing TDs, 1405 yards on 236 carries for a healthy average of about 6 yards per rush. He has speed in the open field to outrun DBs, he has power to run over linebackers, he has the wiggle and shake to make you miss in a phone booth. He's got good size at 5'11", 230lb, and good functional strength without being plodding. This guy is a team captain, and was a second team All-American last year. Last year, he got dinged up a bit, missed a few games, and still nearly got 1000 rushing yards.

Walterfootball lists him as their 11th best running back. This thread has only mentioned him once, and then only in passing.

Royce Freeman in the third or fourth round would be an excellent pickup. Sure, he wasn't used much as a pass catcher, but that was more for lack of looks than lack of ability.

Freeman is no doubt a beast. My biggest concern with him is that he's got an awful lot of tread on those tires. He's also not that dissimilar to Peyton Barber as a big back. But he'd be a steal in the 3rd or 4th I think.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I dunno... I'd say Barkley is perhaps the most blue chip out of all those guys. Gurley had his knee injury, Fournette (while obviously a beast) was heavy and lacks receiving skills, even Elliott had the character concerns. Barkley has prototypical size, speed, production, and is a complete all around player who's a big time weapon in the passing game.

When Gurley was coming out, I said that Gurley was my favorite RB prospect since I've been paying attention assuming he healed from his knee injury. At the time I said it went 1. Gurley 2. McFadden 3. Peterson as prospects. Ignoring people in the media and his measurables, Barkley just isn't as good of a RB on tape as Gurley or Fournette. He's there with Elliott, but I don't think as good. I don't have qualms with him simply to be a contrarian, I just don't like that he needs a hole big enough for a truck to get big gains. He goes down upon first contact often, and while I didn't describe him as a bouncer, he does run into his lineman if the hole isn't massive frequently. Some of these things can be fixed with coaching and he could be amazing, but I tried to really focus in on him through 4 games this year (2 last year) and I was not impressed.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Going into the year I loved Barkley and thought he could be a top 5 guy

As the year went on, I began to wane. He really struggled against good run Defenses. He rarely breaks a tackle...mind you he makes many people miss (but that goes away a bit in the NFL).

I still think he’s a very good prospect...just not great
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I dunno... I'd say Barkley is perhaps the most blue chip out of all those guys. Gurley had his knee injury, Fournette (while obviously a beast) was heavy and lacks receiving skills, even Elliott had the character concerns. Barkley has prototypical size, speed, production, and is a complete all around player who's a big time weapon in the passing game.

When Gurley was coming out, I said that Gurley was my favorite RB prospect since I've been paying attention assuming he healed from his knee injury. At the time I said it went 1. Gurley 2. McFadden 3. Peterson as prospects. Ignoring people in the media and his measurables, Barkley just isn't as good of a RB on tape as Gurley or Fournette. He's there with Elliott, but I don't think as good. I don't have qualms with him simply to be a contrarian, I just don't like that he needs a hole big enough for a truck to get big gains. He goes down upon first contact often, and while I didn't describe him as a bouncer, he does run into his lineman if the hole isn't massive frequently. Some of these things can be fixed with coaching and he could be amazing, but I tried to really focus in on him through 4 games this year (2 last year) and I was not impressed.

I definitely describe him as a bouncer. Almost all his highlights as a runner are based on huge holes or sweet cuts, and those sweet cuts he makes in the backfield are TFL in this NFL. Well, most of them. For a 230 lbs guy, he's not physical inside. I think he'll be...okay. He'll catch a lot of passes. The guy is an elite pass catching prospect. And he'll probably hit on enough outside stuff that his YPC won't be horrible, but he's not going to win inside or gash teams. I'm not trying to be a contrarian either. I bought the hype from the highlights until I really started watching him.

Lots of people are talking about how they like Peyton Barber's running style, and that's because he runs with authority inside. That's kind of where it starts for me. I'm not a huge Barber fan because I don't think he really does anything else. But if you can't do that, you're not going to justify that kind of a pick unless you're an insane gadget guy like McCaffrey. Assuming Barkley gets carries, I would fully expect him to lead the league in TFL or no gain runs. It's tough to play winning football with a guy like that.

It's night and day with Guice though. That kid I really like. He doesn't leave any meat on the bone inside. He's a blocked for 2, get 4 runner. And a blocked for 10, get 80 runner also.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I dunno... I'd say Barkley is perhaps the most blue chip out of all those guys. Gurley had his knee injury, Fournette (while obviously a beast) was heavy and lacks receiving skills, even Elliott had the character concerns. Barkley has prototypical size, speed, production, and is a complete all around player who's a big time weapon in the passing game.

I perhaps agree with the notion that on a pure talent basis, he's a touch behind Gurley and Fournette. But I think he's alot safer than those guys were.

In my perfect world we get Love in round 2, but if Barkley is there when we're picking and he's BPA, he'd be almost impossible to pass on.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:42 pm

MJW wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I definitely describe him as a bouncer. Almost all his highlights as a runner are based on huge holes or sweet cuts, and those sweet cuts he makes in the backfield are TFL in this NFL.

I know. I was avoiding stealing credit for that label. I agree and have said similar things.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:35 pm

usc what are your thoughts on Ronald Jones?
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:43 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Want me to look for a UDFA RB for you?
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm

mdb1958 wrote:

No.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:43 pm

real bucs fan wrote:usc what are your thoughts on Ronald Jones?

He's in the Cook/Charles mold. He's fast, shifty, can find the hole, but will be criticized for his size. I think he'll score similarly to Cook at the Combine. While he hasn't been as productive as a pass catcher, it's apparent he has the ability.

He needs work in picking up the blitz and I've witnessed on more than one occasion him giving up on running his route as a receiver.

I don't see the upright running style as a deal breaker, because he gets low and squares his shoulders as he goes through initial traffic, he just straightens upright to gain speed and tries to get skinny in the open field to allude tacklers(and holds the ball like a loaf of bread at times).This plus his size could mean he's more injury prone.

Overall I think he has a chance to be a Jamal Charles/what we saw from Cook due to his raw athleticism. Watching highlight reels make hims seem elite, but watching a game makes me a bit hesitant. He' can be too timid hitting the hole when running between the tackles. He has elite speed and explosiveness, but he'll plod his way through a hole and normally go down. He looks for a big opening before turning on the jets. Having patience is great, but there were more than a few times I've watched where he could have had a big play or even gained a few more yards by simply giving more effort between the tackles. Maybe this relates to him getting low, squaring his shoulders...maybe it's unnatural for him.
uscbucsfan

Postby Cheb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 pm

mdb1958 wrote:

He may not want you to, but I sure do. You really mine for prospects, dudes that none of us have ever heard of. I for one always enjoy them.

Happy hunting, mdb.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 am

I'm a huge Guice fan. Hands down my favorite runner. But even I would take Barkley first. Almost like last year all over again.

Trade down to a QB needy team and draft Guice, yes please.
Doctor

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:21 am

No love for Kerryon Johnson?
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 am

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

He may not want you to, but I sure do. You really mine for prospects, dudes that none of us have ever heard of. I for one always enjoy them.

Happy hunting, mdb.

Peyton Barber's best quality is his hunger for the game.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:28 am

Google: What is wrong with Devon Johnson's back?

Google dont know!
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:31 am

Pro-type scouting skills Mdb...

Cheb has unleashed the Kraken!..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:09 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:No love for Kerryon Johnson?

I bet he returns for his senior year.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 pm

This RB class is very top heavy. Not nearly as deep as last years class, but I think the top of the class might be safer- no worries about the character of the Cooks and Mixons- and overall it seems that these RBs are all high character guys (at least from what I've seen).

I don't think this is a class where you can wait until the 3rd round though. I think if we're getting a RB it'll have to be done with one of our first 2 picks.

Alot depends on how Barber does down the stretch. If he continues to impress I think the move could be to get a Love or Ronald Jones in round 2- someone with speed and big play ability. If he faulters, I think you're looking at Guice/Barkley round 1, or perhaps Damian Harris in the 2nd.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 pm

If character was the only attribute, Nick Chubb is the guy. Dude plans on rebuilding an entire town.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:This RB class is very top heavy. Not nearly as deep as last years class, but I think the top of the class might be safer- no worries about the character of the Cooks and Mixons- and overall it seems that these RBs are all high character guys (at least from what I've seen).

I don't think this is a class where you can wait until the 3rd round though. I think if we're getting a RB it'll have to be done with one of our first 2 picks.

Alot depends on how Barber does down the stretch. If he continues to impress I think the move could be to get a Love or Ronald Jones in round 2- someone with speed and big play ability. If he faulters, I think you're looking at Guice/Barkley round 1, or perhaps Damian Harris in the 2nd.

Some mocks have Guice in the second round. Heck, some to us in the second! I'd love that. But it's a copy cat league. Rookie RBs killed it this year, so they'll go higher than normal.
Doctor

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk