With the 1st pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
With the 1st pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns

Postby Doctor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Do what?
Doctor

Re: With the 1st pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Cleveland Br

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Every year QBs emerge, and I would imagine the Browns take the top guy. I think with Kizer there, while you can't pass on a QB for him, you can afford to be patient with the QB you do take. For the record, I haven't really looked at this QB class at all, so have no idea who emerges.
real bucs fan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Baker Mayfield
Phantom Phenom

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Baker Mayfield

I hope not
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Josh Rosen
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Baker Mayfield

He's probably my favorite QB in the draft.

I'd do it.
Cheb

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Fan base burned by Manziel? Not that I think omg cocky and being a drug addiction are the same thing, but I dunno if the Cleveland sports fan is going to be bothered to try to make the distinction.
Ken Carson

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Josh Rosen
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 am

I wouldn't take Mayfield in the first 3 rounds. Rosen should be the pick.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 am

I think they trade down to the Broncos who offer a nice sum for it.

Broncos take Mayfield- hands down the best and my favorite QB in the class. Comparing his off-field issues to Johnny Football is just lazy.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 am

Doctor wrote:I think they trade down to the Broncos who offer a nice sum for it.

Broncos take Mayfield- hands down the best and my favorite QB in the class. Comparing his off-field issues to Johnny Football is just lazy.

For the record, his OTF issues don't bother me much. His bullshit one-read college offense and Chase Daniel measurables bother me.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Take Rosen or Mayfield
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 am

Only one quarterback listed under 6'3 has gone #1 overall since 1960 (Michael Vick.)

Interestingly, the only quarterbacks listed under 6'2 drafted in the first round in the last 40 years are Vick, Johnny Manziel, Rex Grossman, Cade McNown, and Jim McMahon. Not a list that inspires a lot of confidence. Lotta short man's disease in that bunch.
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:18 am

And before Bootz says it, that doesn't mean Mayfield will fail, any more than Jerome Bettis weighing 250 meant he would fail as an NFL running back. I just don't buy that his size won't be an issue for scouts.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 am

Rosen will be the pick.

I'd take Mayfield.

By every "measurable", you wouldn't take Mayfield in the first round. He's gonna measure short.

But that kid plays with a chip on his shoulder and with an attitude that those other QB's don't.

I like him a LOT.

But the Browns will take Rosen...and I like Rosen as well. He's the "safer" pick.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 am

It'll be interesting to see if Darnold declares or goes back to school.

His decision could mess things up a bit but (if you've seen previous posts), I don't like the kid's attitude. HE'S the guy I wouldn't draft in the first 3 rounds.
Alpha

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I think the Browns would be stupid to pick Mayfield in the first round or first overall, but for that reason I think they will. He's an extremely risky prospect with a very low floor and, in my opinion, a low ceiling. He doesn't have a big arm, he doesn't read defenses, he's short, he has tiny hands, and he doesn't have what other QBs like him have used to succeed when learning how to be a pro QB in speed. From everything I've read he's a 4.7-4.8 type guy. He's an exceptional college player who looks/plays great in his system, but I don't think he's much more than that from what I've watched. He checks every red flag as far as spread college QB going to pros. I understand his leadership, attitude, grit (or moxy, whatever) plus his numbers excite people, but I don't see him as a good prospect.

I saw on facebook that Cowherd said he is most similar to Case Keenum. I think it's to garner a reaction, but closer than the Russell Wilson comparison.

Again, the Browns will likely pick him.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I think the Browns would be stupid to pick Mayfield in the first round or first overall, but for that reason I think they will. He's an extremely risky prospect with a very low floor and, in my opinion, a low ceiling. He doesn't have a big arm, he doesn't read defenses, he's short, he has tiny hands, and he doesn't have what other QBs like him have used to succeed when learning how to be a pro QB in speed. From everything I've read he's a 4.7-4.8 type guy. He's an exceptional college player who looks/plays great in his system, but I don't think he's much more than that from what I've watched. He checks every red flag as far as spread college QB going to pros. I understand his leadership, attitude, grit (or moxy, whatever) plus his numbers excite people, but I don't see him as a good prospect.

I saw on facebook that Cowherd said he is most similar to Case Keenum. I think it's to garner a reaction, but closer than the Russell Wilson comparison.

Are you talking about Baker Mayfield or Drew Brees. That's an exact scouting report of both.
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I think the Browns would be stupid to pick Mayfield in the first round or first overall, but for that reason I think they will. He's an extremely risky prospect with a very low floor and, in my opinion, a low ceiling. He doesn't have a big arm, he doesn't read defenses, he's short, he has tiny hands, and he doesn't have what other QBs like him have used to succeed when learning how to be a pro QB in speed. From everything I've read he's a 4.7-4.8 type guy. He's an exceptional college player who looks/plays great in his system, but I don't think he's much more than that from what I've watched. He checks every red flag as far as spread college QB going to pros. I understand his leadership, attitude, grit (or moxy, whatever) plus his numbers excite people, but I don't see him as a good prospect.

Are you talking about Baker Mayfield or Drew Brees. That's an exact scouting report of both.

Brees is more of an exception to the rule. QBs with the limitations like Mayfield normally don't end up seeing success in the NFL. There's a reason why these things are important to scouts. Of course I could be wrong, but he's a high risk prospect and IMO a bad pick for an organization like the Browns.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:21 pm

I was listening to the MoveTheSticks pod (I think it was that one) and DJ/BB were talking about Mayfield comps to guys like Brees and Russell Wilson based on the height similarity while also being mobile w/ a strong arm.

So while I think that is a fair comp that even Manziel got when was coming out in '14, one things about BOTH Brees and Wilson is they they were/are both OFF THE CHARTS in terms of maturity and leadership intangibles. I'm not saying Mayfield is Manziel, but when it comes to maturity he's more Johnny Football than Brees/Wilson.

Fact is Mayfield will be lucky to measure 6'0" and will fall under the requisite 6'2"-6'3" requirment usually reserved for 1st round QBs (especially top 10-15) and I don't think his intangibles help him.

So don't be surprised if Mayfield is a day 2 pick.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I was listening to the MoveTheSticks pod (I think it was that one) and DJ/BB were talking about Mayfield comps to guys like Brees and Russell Wilson based on the height similarity while also being mobile w/ a strong arm.

So while I think that is a fair comp that even Manziel got when was coming out in '14, one things about BOTH Brees and Wilson is they they were/are both OFF THE CHARTS in terms of maturity and leadership intangibles. I'm not saying Mayfield is Manziel, but when it comes to maturity he's more Johnny Football than Brees/Wilson.

Fact is Mayfield will be lucky to measure 6'0" and will fall under the requisite 6'2"-6'3" requirment usually reserved for 1st round QBs (especially top 10-15) and I don't think his intangibles help him.

So don't be surprised if Mayfield is a day 2 pick.

That's rough. I really doubt that, especially if your NFCG is Wilson vs Brees. It's a copy cat league and that will be on the top of peoples mind.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm

You can be a small QB as long as you know how to play like a small QB. If you're 5'10" and try and play like Peyton Manning you'll fail. But if you know how to work a pocket and create throwing lanes like Wilson, you'll be fine. In fact you'll give defenses fits.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 am

real bucs fan wrote:You can be a small QB as long as you know how to play like a small QB. If you're 5'10" and try and play like Peyton Manning you'll fail. But if you know how to work a pocket and create throwing lanes like Wilson, you'll be fine. In fact you'll give defenses fits.

I mean...sure? But that's like saying that you can be poor so long as you have a gold machine in the garage. Russell Wilsons don't grow on trees and being a short QB doesn't make you one. Especially when we remember that Russell Wilson was doing it in an NFL-ish scheme at Wisconsin and NC State. Oklahoma, not so much. We have no idea if he can play under center and find those lanes, or if he can play in an NFL offense. I find the Wilson comparison to be superficial at best for these reasons. This dude has a TON of a questions for a 1st round QB, much less a #1 overall pick, and that's without touching on the Vietnam that is character concerns. Maybe he makes good and makes me and some others look silly. It's certainly possible. But I don't want to be the GM handing in that card and betting my job on him. Not a chance. If he works out well, maybe in the 3rd round. Maybe. Because there will be almost zero pressure on the pick, and you'll have the luxury of developing and evaluating him fully before you have to think about putting him on the field.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:12 am

uscbucsfan wrote:I saw on facebook that Cowherd said he is most similar to Case Keenum. I think it's to garner a reaction, but closer than the Russell Wilson comparison.

I agree it's a better comparison, especially if one keeps in mind two things - Keenum was undrafted for a reason, and it took 4 teams and 5 seasons before he was able to compete in the NFL after coming from a goofball offense with learning how to work around his mediocre size and arm.

It only takes 1 GM to fall in love, but I hope the GM that falls in love with Mayfield and drafts him in the first 60 picks is renting his home.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:54 am

MJW wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I saw on facebook that Cowherd said he is most similar to Case Keenum. I think it's to garner a reaction, but closer than the Russell Wilson comparison.

I agree it's a better comparison, especially if one keeps in mind two things - Keenum was undrafted for a reason, and it took 4 teams and 5 seasons before he was able to compete in the NFL after coming from a goofball offense with learning how to work around his mediocre size and arm.

It only takes 1 GM to fall in love, but I hope the GM that falls in love with Mayfield and drafts him in the first 60 picks is renting his home.

Again...Rosen will be the pick...and granted...I've been a fan of his since the first game I saw him in but let's not get it twisted (as far as the "character" issue is concerned); Rosen has his detractors as well.

I also think the Mayfield/Manziel comparisons are a bit off base. Mayfield is likely to win the Heisman, for one. Manziel was never (seriously) in that discussion. Mayfield WILL come in at 6 feet. It's not like he's Wilson small. Granted...I've seen exactly 2 games from Mayfield but the guy is a "gamer". He shines in the big games. He doesn't fold like the Darnold's of the world. Also consider...the NFL is trending towards making the game much more accessible to players like Mayfield...finally...he plays with a boulder-sized chip on his shoulder. Personally, I like that. He doesn't (and won't) have that sense of entitlement that Manziel had, coming out of college.

I dunno...in my eyes, Mayfield is a GUARANTEED 1st round pick. I could easily see a team like NE or NO taking him. It'll take a team thinking outside the box but there are those teams. Are you telling me that you would take KIZER over Mayfield, if you were Cleveland!? Actually...CLE might...but nobody in their right mind would.

Finally...there is the Mahomes factor. That dude had NO BUSINESS being a 1st round pick. He's got mobility and arm talent and no winning pedigree. I'd take a proven winner over (alleged) "talent", every day of the week.

Time will tell but I'd take Mayfield in the first...and I don't think it's even debatable.
Alpha

Postby Super K » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:56 am

Uhhh Alpha, Jonny Football DID win the Heisman...
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:16 am

Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:You can be a small QB as long as you know how to play like a small QB. If you're 5'10" and try and play like Peyton Manning you'll fail. But if you know how to work a pocket and create throwing lanes like Wilson, you'll be fine. In fact you'll give defenses fits.

I mean...sure? But that's like saying that you can be poor so long as you have a gold machine in the garage. Russell Wilsons don't grow on trees and being a short QB doesn't make you one. Especially when we remember that Russell Wilson was doing it in an NFL-ish scheme at Wisconsin and NC State. Oklahoma, not so much. We have no idea if he can play under center and find those lanes, or if he can play in an NFL offense. I find the Wilson comparison to be superficial at best for these reasons. This dude has a TON of a questions for a 1st round QB, much less a #1 overall pick, and that's without touching on the Vietnam that is character concerns. Maybe he makes good and makes me and some others look silly. It's certainly possible. But I don't want to be the GM handing in that card and betting my job on him. Not a chance. If he works out well, maybe in the 3rd round. Maybe. Because there will be almost zero pressure on the pick, and you'll have the luxury of developing and evaluating him fully before you have to think about putting him on the field.

Drew Brees, Doug Flutie...

There are other short QBs who were able to do it playing that same way.

To be clear, I'm not ready to say Mayfield is that guy.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:51 am

Super K wrote:Uhhh Alpha, Jonny Football DID win the Heisman...

For the record, Mr. Mark posted that.

Makers Mark.

Carry on...
Alpha

Return to College Football/Draft Talk