Scott Frost to Nebraska

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Scott Frost to Nebraska

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Recruiting shuts down for the holidays on December 18. Frost even said yesterday he'd like to come back after recruiting closes to prepare the team for the bowl game.

However, I don't think th offense needs a ton of help with Milton orchestrating it at the level he is playing. The defense on the other hand...

He won't get that chance. It's nice to say again. He will not have the amount of time needed to prep for this game. It sucks for UCF. But Frost screwed them. Although he is a nice guy, he pretty much set them back if they lose to Auburn with all these distractions. People will point to the fact that UCF didn't deserve to be on the field with AU and that's why they were never ranked close to the top 4.

The fact that commits to the UCF program have pulled away and are now considering Nebraska is another issue all on its own as well.

But people will give him a pass because he is a good guy. He set the program back after lifting it up.

What do you think Frost should have done differently?
PrimeMinister

Postby BucaRican » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
BucaRican wrote:
He won't get that chance. It's nice to say again. He will not have the amount of time needed to prep for this game. It sucks for UCF. But Frost screwed them. Although he is a nice guy, he pretty much set them back if they lose to Auburn with all these distractions. People will point to the fact that UCF didn't deserve to be on the field with AU and that's why they were never ranked close to the top 4.

The fact that commits to the UCF program have pulled away and are now considering Nebraska is another issue all on its own as well.

But people will give him a pass because he is a good guy. He set the program back after lifting it up.

Stay true to his word after he got his extension last yr.
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:08 pm

BucaRican wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

By doing what? Staying until 2021?
uscbucsfan

Postby BucaRican » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

Thats not what he said.
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:19 pm

BucaRican wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Thats not what he said.

Hence my question. I read his statement when he signed the extension and it was just coach speak. What did say that you feel like he did wrong?
uscbucsfan

Postby BucaRican » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:20 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-scott-frost-contract-extension-ucf-20170504-story.html

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to continue building a winning culture and a winning football program at UCF,” Frost said. “Ashley and I feel like we have found a home in Orlando and with the UCF community. I look forward to an extended tenure of creating a football program that matches the vision of university leadership, including President [John] Hitt and Danny White.”
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:23 pm

BucaRican wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-scott-frost-contract-extension-ucf-20170504-story.html

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to continue building a winning culture and a winning football program at UCF,” Frost said. “Ashley and I feel like we have found a home in Orlando and with the UCF community. I look forward to an extended tenure of creating a football program that matches the vision of university leadership, including President [John] Hitt and Danny White.”

I understand you being upset, but that's just coach speak. Did you think he would say, "I'm excited to be here until a big power 5 job or my dream job to go back home to Nebraska opens up". It's part of being a fan of a school like Houston, UCF, or USF. Until they become a power 5 team and/or pay what the big schools do, they will continue to be stepping stone schools.
uscbucsfan

Postby BucaRican » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:52 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

I understand you being upset, but that's just coach speak. Did you think he would say, "I'm excited to be here until a big power 5 job or my dream job to go back home to Nebraska opens up". It's part of being a fan of a school like Houston, UCF, or USF. Until they become a power 5 team and/or pay what the big schools do, they will continue to be stepping stone schools.

I guess I am hurt as an UCF fan. ohh well i will get over it. UCF was my Yucks therapy!
BucaRican

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:58 pm

BucaRican wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Grow up, buddy. Coaches say this crap all of the time. They stay committed until a better job comes along. And perhaps the most naive thing is believing that coaches are "good guys". They aren't. Most are sleazy, untrustworthy, back stabbing hypocrites. They do what's best for themselves and themselves alone. No one else. They don't care about the players or recruits or the program or the school etc. That's the reality no one wants to admit. The sooner you understand that the better you'll be and the less this experience will hurt.
Bootz2004

Postby BucaRican » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Grow up, buddy. Coaches say this crap all of the time. They stay committed until a better job comes along. And perhaps the most naive thing is believing that coaches are "good guys". They aren't. Most are sleazy, untrustworthy, back stabbing hypocrites. They do what's best for themselves and themselves alone. No one else. They don't care about the players or recruits or the program or the school etc. That's the reality no one wants to admit. The sooner you understand that the better you'll be and the less this experience will hurt.

Well if you didn't follow the UCF football program this year, and you didn't hear countless interviews from Frost every week on local Orlando, you would have no clue on the kind of guy he is. This guy was torn and I honestly thought he wasn't going to bail. Just because a coach does it doesn't mean we as fans don't have a right to criticize. Also his character was a lot different than the sleazeball guys you are referring to. Wait until the reports come out of all the jobs he was offered and stopped them right in there tracks Florida is an example. Nebraska is home and it was the only place he was going to leave UCF for. Sucks because the AD at Nebraska knew this. The biggest issue is the early damn recruiting that force coaches to make decisions so damn quick. Either way let a guy morn, UCF had a great thing going and that's all done now :(
BucaRican

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 am

Stop being so dramatic.
Teitan

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

It's one of the many hypocrisies in the system. A coach can leave a job in a second with no ramifications. A kid wants to transfer? OK, sit a year. Sorry, we can't afford to pay the players, there just isn't enough money. Meanwhile, three coaches (Fisher, Frost, and Malzon) just signed up for a combined $160 million over the next 10 years. That alone is enough to give every D1 player a $10,000 stipend for participation.
Ken Carson

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 am

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/u ... story.html

Left field choice. His offenses put points up though. Different scheme.. we’ll see.
Teitan

Postby BucaRican » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 am

Teitan wrote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-sp-ucf-josh-heupel-new-coach-20171205-story.html

Left field choice. His offenses put points up though. Different scheme.. we’ll see.

Horrible. Oh Well now it sucks and huts even worse. What sucks is i see a lot of recruits leaving. Troy Walters should have been the pick once Sumlin declined. UCF will be a 6 win team again next yr and this year will be forgotten
BucaRican

Postby BucaRican » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 am

Teitan wrote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-sp-ucf-josh-heupel-new-coach-20171205-story.html

Randy Shannon is the DC that is a good move in my opinion.
BucaRican

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:40 am

I'm glad we're not going with Sumlin. He's a name, but his coaching record isn't amazing, even from his CUSA days.

I'll admit I know next to nothing about this guy, but he seems to be in the Scott Frost mold. Former elite program QB, 39 years old, offensive innovator. We'll see if that formula works again.

Also just broke that Randy Shannon will be the DC. Reunited with his son who is a reserve linebacker for the Knights. That should hopefully bolster the all important Florida recruiting base that UCF needs to mine to stay competitive.
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:41 am

BucaRican wrote:

Horrible. Oh Well now it sucks and huts even worse. What sucks is i see a lot of recruits leaving. Troy Walters should have been the pick once Sumlin declined. UCF will be a 6 win team again next yr and this year will be forgotten

Why horrible? Or have you always been an emotional train wreck?
Ken Carson

Postby BucaRican » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 am

Ken Carson wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

Why horrible? Or have you always been an emotional train wreck?

No but the Bucs have caused that with this yr of football. Now within 72 hrs craziness, from watching A classic UCF football game, to losing the coach, to the Bucs giving up another game with a trash performance, to getting a out of left field coach at UCF.
BucaRican

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 am

Doesn’t make it a bad hire. Again, stop being dramatic.

Read another article that claims he runs a similar system, so I’m not sure at this point. Shannon as DC is solid. I think we’ll be ok.
Teitan

Postby BucaRican » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Teitan wrote:Doesn’t make it a bad hire. Again, stop being dramatic.

Read another article that claims he runs a similar system, so I’m not sure at this point. Shannon as DC is solid. I think we’ll be ok.

Yeah but I think this almost guarantees Frost is not going to coach the Peach bowl. No way a OKC former QB lets a Nebraska former QB coach his team.
BucaRican

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:11 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Teitan wrote:Doesn’t make it a bad hire. Again, stop being dramatic.

Yeah but I think this almost guarantees Frost is not going to coach the Peach bowl. No way a OKC former QB lets a Nebraska former QB coach his team.

Everyone has been an adult about Frost leaving this far. He may not coach the game, but that won't be the reason.
Ken Carson

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 pm

UCF has hired Josh Heupel (OC from Missouri) as their new Head Coach. They also hired former Defensive Coordinator for the Gators, Randy Shannon as their new DC.
Crocaneers

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Adam Rittenberg
ESPN Staff Writer
The UCF Knights have hired Missouri offensive coordinator Josh Heupel as head coach, replacing Scott Frost.

Heupel is finishing his second season at Missouri, which has put up big offensive numbers.

"I'm extremely excited about the opportunity to represent UCF," Heupel said in a statement.

He served as quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator at Oklahoma from 2006 to 2014 before being let go at his alma mater, where he played quarterback on the Sooners' national championship team in 2000 and was the Heisman Trophy runner-up.

The 39-year-old spent the 2015 season at Utah State before joining Missouri's staff.

"I believe we've identified one of the brightest offensive minds in college football," UCF athletic director Danny White said in a prepared statement. "His offensive system is very similar to what we've been running. I know he's going to utilize all the great talent on our roster and continue to add to it. He's no stranger to success, winning a national championship as a quarterback and leading a number of extremely high-powered offensive teams."

Missouri improved from 124th nationally in offense the year before Heupel arrived to 13th last year and seventh this season, averaging 511.5 yards and 39.3 points per game.

UCF also announced that Heupel is hiring former Florida defensive coordinator Randy Shannon to the same position.

Shannon served as the Gators' interim head coach after Jim McElwain was fired. He also served as Miami's head coach from 2007 to 2010 after serving as the school's defensive coordinator.

"Randy is someone who I have always had a great deal of respect for throughout the years," Heupel said. "Seeing what he's been able to do with defenses, in addition to his ability to recruit this state, it's extremely special and will be invaluable to our staff."

UCF had targeted former Texas A&M and Houston coach Kevin Sumlin for its job, but talks didn't progress on Sunday and the school turned its attention elsewhere.

Knights offensive coordinator Troy Walters, named acting head coach after Frost's departure Saturday to Nebraska, interviewed for the job. It's unclear whether Frost or Walters will coach UCF against Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
Teitan

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:26 pm

The numbers look good offensively, and the pairing to bring Randy Shannon on the defensive side seems like a good match. Also, this is Heupel's first head coach at any level, so having an experienced former HC as your DC should also help.

I can hype myself up for the hires. And like I said, much better than I would feel about Sumlin. He's the guy you hire to turn around a program, not take it to the next level.
Ken Carson

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm impressed with UCF AD Danny White. he did great job.

First Randy Shannon then this

@FootballScoop: Wow. Josh Heupel’s buyout, should he want to leave UCF, before the 2020 bowl game…. $10 million.
Phantom Phenom

Postby StillCSG » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 pm

BucaRican wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

He did just that by winning the conference
StillCSG

Postby MJW » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

I'd generally agree with you, but that's not Scott Frost. He got offered the job he'd been dreaming about having since he was in diapers, along with roughly 3x the salary, and a chance to move his family to where he grew up (basically - he's not from Lincoln exactly.) Plus, he was actually given the chance to compete for a National Championship, something that was literally impossible where he was. Doesn't make him a selfish scumbag for taking that opportunity. Almost everyone would under those circumstances.

Calling Scott Frost a scumbag for leaving UCF for Nebraska is like calling someone a scumbag for leaving a nice community college 2,000 miles from home to go to his elite hometown college on a full scholarship and be promised Homecoming King when he got there. Not taking that offer isn't a sign of character, it'd be sign of a major head injury.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I'd generally agree with you, but that's not Scott Frost. He got offered the job he'd been dreaming about having since he was in diapers, along with roughly 3x the salary, and a chance to move his family to where he grew up (basically - he's not from Lincoln exactly.) Plus, he was actually given the chance to compete for a National Championship, something that was literally impossible where he was. Doesn't make him a selfish scumbag for taking that opportunity. Almost everyone would under those circumstances.

Calling Scott Frost a scumbag for leaving UCF for Nebraska is like calling someone a scumbag for leaving a nice community college 2,000 miles from home to go to his elite hometown college on a full scholarship and be promised Homecoming King when he got there. Not taking that offer isn't a sign of character, it'd be sign of a major head injury.

Stop with your revisionist history.

YOU were the one telling us Frost was never that enamored with Nebraska...in fact...I WAS THE ONE that was telling YOU he was going there, when YOU were convinced he wasn't.

Don't come in here NOW, telling us how you knew this was a fait accomplit.

Knock that **** off.

He's not a "scumbag". UCF is UCF. This is what's ALWAYS going to happen to non-Power 5 teams. Same happened with Taggert at USF a couple of years back. (Especially) younger coaches are going to want to prove themselves, at the highest levels. UCF isn't that. At all.

Stop trying to fit the narrative.
Alpha

Postby MJW » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:17 am

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:

YOU were the one telling us Frost was never that enamored with Nebraska...in fact...I WAS THE ONE that was telling YOU he was going there, when YOU were convinced he wasn't.

Knock that **** off.

He's not a "scumbag". UCF is UCF. This is what's ALWAYS going to happen to non-Power 5 teams. Same happened with Taggert at USF a couple of years back. (Especially) younger coaches are going to want to prove themselves, at the highest levels. UCF isn't that. At all.

Where the **** did I say or imply I knew this would happen? I did not. I didn't think he was this guy. I'm happy he is. It's been the rare pleasant surprise this football season. It doesn't make him a "scumbag" either way. Calm the **** down.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:02 am

MJW wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Knock that **** off.

Where the **** did I say or imply I knew this would happen? I did not. I didn't think he was this guy.

The rest was in reference to other posters.

Point was...you are now insinuating that Frost was "pining" to come back home, when the fact was...you never thought he had any allegiance to Nebraska from the jump.

He did. As I mentioned.

Just stop. You got your guy. Nebraska will be contending in 3 years. He's bringing the Big 12 to the BIG!( or whatever you're called now. Hopefully...he hires a really good DC.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk