FSU next coach: Willie Taggart

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: FSU next coach...... ?

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:00 am

I love how "decommitting" is even a word. It's a word that makes no sense.

Sorry for the random digression. Back to FSU coach talk. No, you can't have Dabo.
Kress

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 am

Kress wrote:I love how "decommitting" is even a word. It's a word that makes no sense.

Sorry for the random digression. Back to FSU coach talk. No, you can't have Dabo.

How do you feel about the Bucs renting Dabo for their usual 2-3 years?
PanteraCanes

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:19 am

You'd like that, wouldn't you?
Kress

Postby Buc You » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 pm

My vote is for Lane Kiffin.
Buc You

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm

From what I hear, that's actually gaining traction. Then again, what I hear is from the media that also wants to gain traction.
Kress

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Kress wrote:From what I hear, that's actually gaining traction. Then again, what I hear is from the media that also wants to gain traction.

I have only heard Sumlin and Taggart so far. Though that doesn't really mean much.
PanteraCanes

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Hearing rumors that the official search is going to start today.
PanteraCanes

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm

JP Peterson
@JPPetersonSprts
Just spoke with a well connected booster and someone inside the FSU Athletic department. Jimbo is gone. Expect an announcement today. He will not coach the final game. FSU has not recruited in a month. Class is falling apart. Totally unprofessional but not surprising.

he's waiting on aTm Board of Regents to approve his contract.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Damn. Just do it already. Losing recruits? That sucks for the program big time.

:cough: Come to Clemson. :cough:

But seriously, this is a crap situation for a storied program. I hate to see this stuff.
Kress

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Kress wrote:Damn. Just do it already. Losing recruits? That sucks for the program big time.

:cough: Come to Clemson. :cough:

But seriously, this is a crap situation for a storied program. I hate to see this stuff.

He must be holding some big grudge or just slimey. Wasn't talking to the team, hasn't recruited over a month. Recruits are bailing now.
PanteraCanes

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:23 pm

As a CFB fan this sucks what Jimbo is doing to that program.

But sitting here in my Orange and Blue underoos I'm pretty happy about it. :birdiedoublered:

Go Gators!!!
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Sorry FSU fans... even though I took a lot of ribbing from you guys when Urban left, I know how much it sucks to have a winning coach bail on you so I won't pile on. Hopefully you can get a quality coach because I'd like to see the UF-FSU game have real meaning again.
bucfanclw

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 pm

this is all just so stupid! media, talking heads, and unrealistic fans start chirping and before you know it, what never was a real issue is now a done deal!!!!

The guy has one bad season and everyone started talking smack about Jimbo and that was the start of it all. I find it amazing how a guy going into the 2016 season was going to see his win percentage actually decrease with a 10 win season.. can now be pushed out the door. I know he's playing a role but there is no way he's leaving Tally if the support was there. I'm sorry but we're going to be several years away from doing anything worth a damn and it's a shame.

I don't even care who we get to replace him at this point. We went from a school that had foundation at the HC position for decades to a school that's going to be changing coaches ever few years like the shitty ****ing gators!!!! we're the gators!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :fire: :fire: :imgay: :imgay: :toiletclaw: :toiletclaw:

Edit: he basically said the same thing in this interview

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... texas-a-m/
Noles1724

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Texas A&M chancellor says coaching decision expected soon
7:32 PM ET
Sam Khan Jr.

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M moved a step closer to hiring its next football coach on Thursday, holding a board of regents meeting to discuss the parameters of a contract offer and establish a timetable for landing its next coach, which could be Florida State's Jimbo Fisher.

Chancellor John Sharp said the school should "very shortly" announce the scheduling of another regents meeting that would be held to approve the coaching hire. Though he didn't name Fisher or anybody specifically, Sharp indicated a short timetable for the process, saying the meeting could be called as early as Friday, meaning the regents would have identified who they intend to hire.
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Moves like this are why I think players should be free to switch schools as freely as coaches do. The players who signed up to play under Jimbo are now ****ed.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Noles1724 wrote:this is all just so stupid! media, talking heads, and unrealistic fans start chirping and before you know it, what never was a real issue is now a done deal!!!!

The guy has one bad season and everyone started talking smack about Jimbo and that was the start of it all. I find it amazing how a guy going into the 2016 season was going to see his win percentage actually decrease with a 10 win season.. can now be pushed out the door. I know he's playing a role but there is no way he's leaving Tally if the support was there. I'm sorry but we're going to be several years away from doing anything worth a damn and it's a shame.

I don't even care who we get to replace him at this point. We went from a school that had foundation at the HC position for decades to a school that's going to be changing coaches ever few years like the shitty ****ing gators!!!! we're the gators!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :fire: :fire: :imgay: :imgay: :toiletclaw: :toiletclaw:

Edit: he basically said the same thing in this interview

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... texas-a-m/

This is on noone but Jimbo...

If he didn't/doesnt want to go, he doesn't have to..

He went 5-6 at FSU (last game still to be played)... including getting ****ing thumped by BC...

He's hung onto Trickett and Kelly year after year even though they and their units have severely underperformed given the talent we've recruited...

And we're supposed to feel bad because we bitched about it?

Screw that noise...

You think Meyer or Saban go 5-6 those fanbases wouldn't freak and/or act like the sky is falling?
Super K

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:JP Peterson
@JPPetersonSprts
Just spoke with a well connected booster and someone inside the FSU Athletic department. Jimbo is gone. Expect an announcement today. He will not coach the final game. FSU has not recruited in a month. Class is falling apart. Totally unprofessional but not surprising.

JP is a local sports radio hack here in Tampa.

That said...he does have actual connections with the FSU program and has covered them for YEARS.

This is probably legit.
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Moves like this are why I think players should be free to switch schools as freely as coaches do. The players who signed up to play under Jimbo are now ****ed.

HS players should NEVER commit to a coach when making a college choice. If they do it's b/c they are getting bad advice. You commit to the program and hope Coach stays during your time there.

I'm not saying I disagree on players switching schools, but just that players are fucked if a coach leaves. That should be expected going into it these days at major programs.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:42 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Moves like this are why I think players should be free to switch schools as freely as coaches do. The players who signed up to play under Jimbo are now ****ed.

HS players should NEVER commit to a coach when making a college choice. If they do it's b/c they are getting bad advice. You commit to the program and hope Coach stays during your time there.

I'm not saying I disagree on players switching schools, but just that players are fucked if a coach leaves. That should be expected going into it these days at major programs.

The unfortunate thing is in college football the coaches are the program. That's who you see 1st, 2nd, last when deciding on a school to play football. Coaches sell themselves to parents and student athletes not the program.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

The unfortunate thing is in college football the coaches are the program. That's who you see 1st, 2nd, last when deciding on a school to play football. Coaches sell themselves to parents and student athletes not the program.

I disagree that the coaches are the program when they are always leaving, I get they are part of sales pitch. I'm not suggesting that the HC doesn't sell himself to the kid and his family, but as a prospect you have to know there is the strong possibility that the Head Coach (or even the assistants) that recruited you will not last the 3-5 years you're going to be there. So while the Coaches and their scheme/system are factors, you're ultimately committing to a school and that should be the #1 priority when making the decision.
DreadNaught

Postby Kress » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 am

Alpha wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:JP Peterson
@JPPetersonSprts

JP is a local sports radio hack here in Tampa.

That said...he does have actual connections with the FSU program and has covered them for YEARS.

This is probably legit.

Yeah, I tend to believe JP on FSU news. He definitely has connections there and usually hits the nail on the head.
Kress

Postby Kress » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:08 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I disagree that the coaches are the program when they are always leaving, I get they are part of sales pitch. I'm not suggesting that the HC doesn't sell himself to the kid and his family, but as a prospect you have to know there is the strong possibility that the Head Coach (or even the assistants) that recruited you will not last the 3-5 years you're going to be there. So while the Coaches and their scheme/system are factors, you're ultimately committing to a school and that should be the #1 priority when making the decision.

Then why are recruits jumping ship? Same school, same program, unknown coach.

It's the uncertainty about the scheme that does it. Say that you're a fullback and they switch to a Chip Kelly spread offense deal. You're now useless. Or you are a stud wide receiver and they start running a Boston College option offense. Or you are a DE and they switch the defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

The coaching staff is a huge deal. It gives you an idea of your role and potential to see the field in a meaningful way.
Kress

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:29 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Not to mention that the vast majority are going in are not going to sniff the NFL. So they better be looking at a degree. Don't care if you are a no star or a 5 star, you better care about your degree you are getting. All that switching would really put them behind on degrees and requirements.
PanteraCanes

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:40 am

Noles1724 wrote:.......

How many seasons has he flirted with other jobs to keep getting stuff out of the college and boosters? At some point you have to get sick of that game. All coaches take stuff from the fans and media. That is no excuse. He has also stopped recruiting and stopped talking to the team. He is going to leave your school in a hole extra deep. When you look back in a few years at how he treated you guys you will not feel this way about defending him.

I understand you have had success under him. He has been paid well under it. Also he has treated you guys really badly. It sounded like he was going to be gone to LSU earlier but the government put a stop to the buy out since the schools apart from the program was really in a bad spot financially. On top of that you guys have had how many straight top 3 or 5 recruiting classes and this year is the result of it?

In my opinion if you guys didn't have Cook these type of seasons were probably coming 3 years ago.
PanteraCanes

Postby Super K » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:51 am

Just read (via Jason Staples) that Bob Stoops may have some interest in FSU should it come open..
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:04 am

Kress wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Then why are recruits jumping ship? Same school, same program, unknown coach.

It's the uncertainty about the scheme that does it. Say that you're a fullback and they switch to a Chip Kelly spread offense deal. You're now useless. Or you are a stud wide receiver and they start running a Boston College option offense. Or you are a DE and they switch the defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

The coaching staff is a huge deal. It gives you an idea of your role and potential to see the field in a meaningful way.

The coach/staff is certainly a factor for the reasons cited and for some players it makes sense to "de-commit" when the coaches that recruit them leave before they sign their LOI. My point was that the school is the constant variable and not the coach. So when these kids are deciding where to attend college that school should be what they are committing to over what assistant coach or HC spoke to them during the recruiting process. There is probably over a 75% chance that either the assistant coach that initially recruited you and formed the relationship or the HC that closed the deal will not be at that school 4-5 years later.

Obviously you want to play for a coach that you feel is going to develop your talent. But coaches come and go, hell my baseball coach left after my Freshman year. I'm not saying it's fair but if you committed to the school instead of the coach than you don't get left feeling screwed over. If a any Power 5 college coach is promising he'll be there for the next 5 years you'd be naive to believe him. They can leave for more money/better opportunity or be fired for poor performance, both of which are beyond the control of the student-athlete.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am

Exactly...if Rudy couldn't count on anything the coach told or promised him, then you can't either..

(At least that's how the movie went)
Super K

Postby Kress » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am

I get your point about coaches leaving, but the baseball analogy is a bad one. Baseball talent translates regardless of the coach (manager?). Football can be much more scheme dependant.

Anyway, there is a big difference between not being naive and knowing that they might leave at some point, versus knowing going into it that they are in fact leaving before you even get there. #1 is common sense and you go in with high hopes that they stick around. #2 makes you back up and reevaluate.
Kress

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am

Players: If Jimbo Fisher stays, we’re leaving

https://www.tomahawknation.com/2017/12/1/16723758/jimbo-fisher-florida-state-transfer-texas-am

Kind of feel bad for Texas A&M with what they are going to get themselves into.
PanteraCanes

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:11 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:.......

How many seasons has he flirted with other jobs to keep getting stuff out of the college and boosters? At some point you have to get sick of that game. All coaches take stuff from the fans and media. That is no excuse. He has also stopped recruiting and stopped talking to the team. He is going to leave your school in a hole extra deep. When you look back in a few years at how he treated you guys you will not feel this way about defending him.

I understand you have had success under him. He has been paid well under it. Also he has treated you guys really badly. It sounded like he was going to be gone to LSU earlier but the government put a stop to the buy out since the schools apart from the program was really in a bad spot financially. On top of that you guys have had how many straight top 3 or 5 recruiting classes and this year is the result of it?

In my opinion if you guys didn't have Cook these type of seasons were probably coming 3 years ago.

I get what you're saying.. and don't really disagree with it so much but I truly believe that this whole thing has gotten to where it is now (the point of no return) with a huge helping hand from talking heads. Hell I would be surprised if TAM helped to facilitate this.. maybe they're the NCAA Russians?

This is going to sting for a few years and my only hope at this time is that it doesn't take us nearly as long to bounce back as UM and UF have. I'm cool with bringing in Stoops, hell no to Kiffin.. maybe B. Bowden still wants to show he has something left.

Anyways, this whole thing has me so incredibly bitter and it's probably the most fitting way for this year/season to end for me as a fan.
Noles1724

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk