FSU next coach: Willie Taggart

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: FSU next coach...... ?

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:24 am

terrytate wrote:I don't follow college ball that much, is there any other reason than money why someone would leave FSU for A&M? FSU has the recruiting pool, has won national championships in the last 80 years AND is in an easier conference with a commensurate easier path to the playoffs.

Am I missing something or is it just a case of the check being to fat to ignore?

You're missing a lot of somethings.

Several million of them per year.

Recruiting Texas. One of the few states that are as recruit-rich as FL.

The facilities aren't even in the same zip code.

Oh...and several million of them per year.
Alpha

Postby Native Son » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Perceived job security?

Go Knights!!!!
Wow!!!!!!
What a racetrack!!!!
Native Son

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Native Son wrote:Perceived job security?

Go Knights!!!!
Wow!!!!!!
What a racetrack!!!!

First team to play defense wins!
Alpha

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Fisher got 10 years $75M

Insane

Just to think..

Texas A&M offered Schembechler nearly $3 million for 10 years.
At the time would have been the richest contract in the history of college athletics
Phantom Phenom

Postby Noles1724 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Fisher got 10 years $75M

Insane

Just to think..

Texas A&M offered Schembechler nearly $3 million for 10 years.
At the time would have been the richest contract in the history of college athletics

yeah but the facilities were the best in the nation!
Noles1724

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 am

Noles1724 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:A&M has better facilities, but I think it had a lot to do with Jimbo just wanting to leave FSU. He flirted with LSU last season. He could have had a bad relationship with the school? An FSU fan will have to lrovide more insight

says who?

Says pretty much everyone. Kirk Herbstreit even said during Gameday that A&M's facilities are the best in the nation. Not that should be the determining factor in choosing a school, but just saying.

Based on what I've heard and even seen, I just don't think Jimbo Fisher was happy at FSU. I don't think he liked his job. He was getting in fights with fans after the game and he just didn't look happy there. And for all we know, he may not have felt wanted and A&M obviously is showing they want him. So I do see Fisher's angle of wanting to leave for A&M. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but the money in this case sure is. And I think both programs will be fine, although I'm not sold on Taggert being the answer if that's who they choose. But there's not much really out there to choose from.
NavyBuc

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 am

NavyBuc wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:
says who?

Says pretty much everyone. Kirk Herbstreit even said during Gameday that A&M's facilities are the best in the nation. Not that should be the determining factor in choosing a school, but just saying.

Based on what I've heard and even seen, I just don't think Jimbo Fisher was happy at FSU. I don't think he liked his job. He was getting in fights with fans after the game and he just didn't look happy there. And for all we know, he may not have felt wanted and A&M obviously is showing they want him. So I do see Fisher's angle of wanting to leave for A&M. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but the money in this case sure is. And I think both programs will be fine, although I'm not sold on Taggert being the answer if that's who they choose. But there's not much really out there to choose from.

My problem isn't Jimbo leaving, it's the big **** he took on his way out that burns my ass....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Noles1724 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 am

NavyBuc wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:
says who?

it's nothing more than a common talking point. it's also common to hear 'everyone think the band U2 is great'.. doesn't make it true.
Noles1724

Postby Super K » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 am

Herbie's an ass...I've lost a ton of respect for that guy over the last couple of years..

That's the SEC paycheck talkin..
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 am

Noles1724 wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

it's nothing more than a common talking point. it's also common to hear 'everyone think the band U2 is great'.. doesn't make it true.

I guess it's subjective, but A&M has spent the most money on their facilities. Most people agree they have the nicest in the country.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:43 am

NavyBuc wrote:
Based on what I've heard and even seen, I just don't think Jimbo Fisher was happy at FSU. I don't think he liked his job. He was getting in fights with fans after the game and he just didn't look happy there.

This will not improve in Texas.
Kress

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:45 am

Noles1724 wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

it's nothing more than a common talking point... doesn't make it true.

Ummm...this isn't "fake news", sport. It's fairly common knowledge that TA&M has some of the finest facilities in the country (throw Oregon in there as well).
Alpha

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 am

Alpha wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:
it's nothing more than a common talking point... doesn't make it true.

Ummm...this isn't "fake news", sport. It's fairly common knowledge that TA&M has some of the finest facilities in the country (throw Oregon in there as well).

my point is that major universities that the football team is a premier program, they all have good facilites.. it's not a big enough difference to drive away a coach. it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Cadillac.. both are quality vehicles.
Noles1724

Postby Super K » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 am

Noles1724 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

my point is that major universities that the football team is a premier program, they all have good facilites.. it's not a big enough difference to drive away a coach. it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Cadillac.. both are quality vehicles.

Truth...

Because if the facilities were THAT big a difference and the job being open as it was why weren't more coaches climbing over each other to jump ship to get there?
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 am

They got their first pick the last 2 times. That's something most schools can't say.

Edit:This is to references Super K stating coaches would be climbing over themselves to get to A&M. They pretty much are compared to most schools.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby deltbucs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 am

Until now, I kind of took for granted the fact that we've never had a real coaching search in my lifetime.
deltbucs

Postby Super K » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:09 am

deltbucs wrote:Until now, I kind of took for granted the fact that we've never had a real coaching search in my lifetime.

Right? It's beyond crazy...

Read some stuff that the last time we did a coaching search KC and the Sunshine Band had the #1 hit in the country...

Definitely some uncharted water for everyone... administration included..which kind of scares me
Super K

Postby deltbucs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am

Super K wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Until now, I kind of took for granted the fact that we've never had a real coaching search in my lifetime.

Right? It's beyond crazy...

Read some stuff that the last time we did a coaching search KC and the Sunshine Band had the #1 hit in the country...

Definitely some uncharted water for everyone... administration included..which kind of scares me

Yeah...No doubt.
deltbucs

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:27 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:https://twitter.com/BrentZwerneman/status/937412046773211139?s=17

is... is that rick flair?
beardmcdoug

Re: FSU next coach Willie Taggart ?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Graham Hall‏Verified account @GrahamHall_

Sources now confirming Willie Taggart is finalizing contract to become next #FSU head coach. Taggart looking to bring Jim Leavitt with him. Announcement expected later today.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Story still fluid and updating, getting new information saying #FSU might not introduce Taggart today but sources close to situation still believe deal will be finalized in 24 hours
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Bruce Feldman
(@BruceFeldmanCFB)
Am told by a source the report that #Oregon HC Willie Taggart is finalizing a contract with #FSU is not accurate. There has been no meeting with the Noles as of yet.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm

In Jimbo's press conference today at Texas A&M he said the reason he left Tallahassee was that he and the FSU administration were not on the same page as far as prioritizing football over other sports. He said the head coach and the university administration have to be United in their vision.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:In Jimbo's press conference today at Texas A&M he said the reason he left Tallahassee was that he and the FSU administration were not on the same page as far as prioritizing football over other sports. He said the head coach and the university administration have to be United in their vision.

someone should tell Jimbo it's ok to say money.. no need to make a fake reason up... what's next, we're going to start seeing TAM players rocking cowbell chains?
Noles1724

Postby Alpha » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 am

Noles1724 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

My man. I'm not even sure why you're arguing this point.

We aren't comparing a Mercedes to a Cadillac. We are comparing a Bugatti to a Pinto.

This isn't some fake argument. Google pictures of the facilities, bro.

This isn't even shitting on FSU's facilities. It's more that A&M's and Oregon's are ****ing ridiculous.

Is it the "be all/end all"? Of course not...but it don't ****ing hurt when it comes to recruiting.
Alpha

Postby Deuce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am

So...if Willie Taggart leaves UO for FSU can we shut the **** up about facilities?

If Jimbo left because of facilities, this was an even worse decision than it appears to be.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 am

Deuce wrote:So...if Willie Taggart leaves UO for FSU can we shut the **** up about facilities?

If Jimbo left because of facilities, this was an even worse decision than it appears to be.

Taggert is also getting really nice bump in pay, just like Jimbo. Facilities are a factor, but we're kidding ourselves if we think it's more of a factor than salary. Jimbo got a $2m/yr raise in addition to the program resources he was clamoring to get at FSU. Follow the money, ALWAYS!!

FSU has nice facilities, but TAMU has a state of the art, football only complex that is practically unrivaled. Oregon raised the bar and schools are following suit to 'keep up w/ the Jones''. FSU felt they didn't need to commit to building that type facility b/c what they have in place is sufficient to compete nationally on the recruiting trail.

I don't think there is a right or wrong here w/ Jimbo and FSU. There was a disagreement on the vision of the program and Jimbo was feeling more love elsewhere. FSU had to know this was a possible outcome if they didn't succumb to Jimbo's demands. It's unfortunate but I don't blame either side for how it played out.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I don't think there is a right or wrong here w/ Jimbo and FSU. There was a disagreement on the vision of the program and Jimbo was feeling more love elsewhere. FSU had to know this was a possible outcome if they didn't succumb to Jimbo's demands. It's unfortunate but I don't blame either side for how it played out.

Jimbo had job security, a top 5 recruiting class, and an ACC schedule, all while being one of the highest paid coaches in the country with one of the sport's most storied programs. He flirted with different schools every year to get FSU to invest in the things he wanted. Now he leaves for freaking TAMU, where he'll start over recruiting, play a tough schedule every year, and they just fired a coach who had a better record than he did this season. In the process, he refused to let anyone, even his own players, know of his intentions, and completely screwed FSU's recruiting class.

I think I see a wrong.
Deuce

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Alpha wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

My man. I'm not even sure why you're arguing this point.

We aren't comparing a Mercedes to a Cadillac. We are comparing a Bugatti to a Pinto.

This isn't some fake argument. Google pictures of the facilities, bro.

This isn't even shitting on FSU's facilities. It's more that A&M's and Oregon's are ****ing ridiculous.

Is it the "be all/end all"? Of course not...but it don't ****ing hurt when it comes to recruiting.

we'll agree to disagree here. I'm not sure what you think other major Uni's are like but they aren't rocking pre Bobby Bushay water equipment.
Noles1724

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk