Gruden to Tennessee?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Gruden to Tennessee?

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tenne ... oin-staff/

Reports are coming in that he's putting a staff together. I don't think he'd be a good college coach, but maybe things have changed.
uscbucsfan

Re: Gruden to Tennessee?

Postby MJW » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/reports-jon-gruden-reaching-former-ut-players-join-staff/

Reports are coming in that he's putting a staff together. I don't think he'd be a good college coach, but maybe things have changed.

Not buying it, at all, even a little. He's going to take 70% as much money as he could get in the NFL, for less exposure, with less chance of winning a title, at a lower level he's never head coached at before, because he spent 2 years as a GA at Tennessee over 30 years ago?
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:37 pm

MJW wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/reports-jon-gruden-reaching-former-ut-players-join-staff/

Not buying it, at all, even a little. He's going to take 70% as much money as he could get in the NFL, for less exposure, with less chance of winning a title, at a lower level he's never head coached at before, because he spent 2 years as a GA at Tennessee over 30 years ago?

His wife is a UT grad and that has to be influencing these rumors.

I don't see Gruden in the college game either. Gruden isn't old by HC standards, but he's not young either. He's already going to be an incredibly sought after NFL HC candidate, so going to UT won't increase his profile.

I'd be very surprised if this happens. I honestly believe this is much more of UT appeasing their fanbase showing they are pursuing the 'big fish' when in reality it will be another SEC assistant like Jeremy Pruitt who ends up with the job.
DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 pm

MJW wrote:

yeah it's just GRUMORS lol I guess

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ing-search

but hey at least you have good chance to see Scott Frost coach Nebraska...
Phantom Phenom

Postby MJW » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Very excited about the possibility of Frost. I think he'll be a good one. If nothing else, we'll be fun to watch for the first time 15 years.
MJW

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm

MJW wrote:

They could pay him the same or more at UT than he could make in the NFL. Saban and Harbaugh both make more than any NFL coach, but I agree it seems crazy to leave his job to work with young players, who he's never liked.
uscbucsfan

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Gruden would be a train wreck in college.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Cheb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 am

I Are Serious Poster wrote:Gruden would be a train wreck in college.

My instinct is to agree with you. He didn't even like rookies because he had to teach them too much. College freshmen? Good luck.
Cheb

Postby deltbucs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
MJW wrote:

His wife is a UT grad and that has to be influencing these rumors.

I don't see Gruden in the college game either. Gruden isn't old by HC standards, but he's not young either. He's already going to be an incredibly sought after NFL HC candidate, so going to UT won't increase his profile.

I'd be very surprised if this happens. I honestly believe this is much more of UT appeasing their fanbase showing they are pursuing the 'big fish' when in reality it will be another SEC assistant like Jeremy Pruitt who ends up with the job.

If I was a UT guy, I'd be hoping for Pruitt. Not buying the Gruden rumors at all.
deltbucs

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Not buying this for a second.

This is more wishful thinking from Vols fans. You should've heard them after Dooley got run out of town. You woulda thought Gruden was a done deal.

For the reasons mentioned by previous posters as well as others...I can't and don't see Gruden in college.
Alpha

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Gruden himself has said that he came to the realization he'd be a terrible fit in college because of the rules and restrictions. He outright said you'd never want him coaching your college, because he's have them in trouble.
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 am

The end of the, "Gruden to college job" discussion for me has ALWAYS been that he's a coach who's largely defined by his super-complicated scheme that Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson both said takes 2-3 years to learn. I'm sure that would play GREAT with a 19 year old kid, spitting out more verbiage than he hears at his philosophy 202 class in the huddle.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 pm

MJW wrote:The end of the, "Gruden to college job" discussion for me has ALWAYS been that he's a coach who's largely defined by his super-complicated scheme that Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson both said takes 2-3 years to learn. I'm sure that would play GREAT with a 19 year old kid, spitting out more verbiage than he hears at his philosophy 202 class in the huddle.

What I've managed to figure out with Gruden's system is that he uses a word for the formation, protection, and the route of every eligible receiver. It's a mouthful and relays a ton of information.

But I get why he did it. He was able to make adjustments on the fly to exploit a perceived weakness in the coverage. It gives him near infinite combinations. That's what makes it such a bitch to learn.

There's like 9 routes in a route tree and the QB has to know all of them by name in the huddle times 4 or 5 eligible receivers at a moment's notice and where they are going to be in his progressions.

A lot harder than memorizing 2 dozen plays.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:52 am

MJW wrote:The end of the, "Gruden to college job" discussion for me has ALWAYS been that he's a coach who's largely defined by his super-complicated scheme that Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson both said takes 2-3 years to learn. I'm sure that would play GREAT with a 19 year old kid, spitting out more verbiage than he hears at his philosophy 202 class in the huddle.

Agreed.

Thus, any "rumor" of Gruden going to a college team just reeks of the fan-base hoping and praying.

Frankly...after seeing what Gruden (and that ass-hat GM) did to this franchise POST-Super Bowl...I don't want him anywhere in the general vicinity of my program. College OR pro.
Alpha

Return to College Football/Draft Talk