Switch to full style
Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Edit:
Made a thread for it...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm

n Allbright ✔ @AllbrightNFL
Chip Kelly/Florida is picking up serious steam.
12:33 PM - Nov 13, 2017
32 32 Replies 426 426 Retweets

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:24 pm

LOL

At least if it IS KELLY...He won't be working with a QB who runs like a drunk escapee at the 2 1/2 mile mark...Gawd.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Brett McMurphy
(@Brett_McMurphy)
Florida AD’s response to a Tweet that Chip Kelly was “done deal” to Florida twitter.com/ScottStrick…
"There is a lot of bad (i.e. incorrect) info out there, but this is a whole other level of bad info."

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Brett McMurphy
(@Brett_McMurphy)
Florida AD’s response to a Tweet that Chip Kelly was “done deal” to Florida twitter.com/ScottStrick…
"There is a lot of bad (i.e. incorrect) info out there, but this is a whole other level of bad info."

That's a pretty typical response either way.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Let's see if he backs out of this one too

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Obviously, we Husker fans are hoping this is true.

Also, this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.3629554

That would all make perfect sense...Kelly to UF to run his balls-out scheme with Florida speed...Rodgers back to Tennessee, where he played (and I think he's a good coach.) And Frost to Nebraska, where he belongs.

Sorry, UCF.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 am

MJW wrote:Obviously, we Husker fans are hoping this is true.

Also, this:

That would all make perfect sense...Kelly to UF to run his balls-out scheme with Florida speed...Rodgers back to Tennessee, where he played (and I think he's a good coach.) And Frost to Nebraska, where he belongs.

Sorry, UCF.

Wasn't there something that happened to Frost's wife at Nebraska that the University covered up?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

looks like Florida hired Chip Kelly

**BREAKING CFB NEWS** Source: Chip Kelly and Florida #Gators have deal in principle to become next HC @FloridaGators barring any last minute snags
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Report: SEC clears Florida to potentially hire Chip Kelly dlvr.it/Q0wMkC

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm

it's a solid big splash hire for the Gators.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:

Also, this:

Sorry, UCF.

Wasn't there something that happened to Frost's wife at Nebraska that the University covered up?

Not sure about if she is now his wife, but Lawrence Phillips did beat up Frost's girlfriend.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:

Not sure about if she is now his wife, but Lawrence Phillips did beat up Frost's girlfriend.

That might be it. Fun times.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:it's a solid big splash hire for the Gators.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Also, this:

Sorry, UCF.

I don’t think Nebraska is the dream job Nebraska fans hope it is for him.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Teitan wrote:

Also, this:

Sorry, UCF.

It's not the slam dunk people are penciling in. Frost was treated horribly by Husker fans while he was in college until he won them a national title. I think that he's still likely to leave UCF at some point, but his pull to Nebraska has negative baggage with it. I wonder how much the way he was roasted while there still bothers him.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Teitan wrote:

It's not the slam dunk people are penciling in. Frost was treated horribly by Husker fans while he was in college until he won them a national title. I think that he's still likely to leave UCF at some point, but his pull to Nebraska has negative baggage with it. I wonder how much the way he was roasted while there still bothers him.

I absolutely agree. It's NOT a slam dunk. Some dudes, there'd be no doubt they'd give anything to coach this team. Frost is NOT one of those guys. He had some bad experiences in Lincoln. He doesn't bleed scarlet and cream to the way many of our would-be coaches do.

That said, the way it's shaking out, he's going to decide between another year at UCF or coming here. That's up to him. If he wants to spend another year spinning wheels (and likely coming back to earth a bit) with a mid-major, Mazel Tov. If he wants to advance his career, it'll be here I think. I won't hold it against him if it's the former.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:27 am

I just don't know that Nebraska is a high profile job anymore. There is a lot of history, but the same is true of Army.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Florida update:
Stricklin wants to move quick.
Chip won’t last long on the market.
Stricklin is good with Chip.
Chip is good with UF.
Spurrier wants Frost.
Frost not looking at opps til Dec.

Big moment for Stricklin here.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Chip Kelly's agent David Dunn spotted arrived in Gainesville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2KjTY5 ... e=youtu.be

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm

SOURCE: Chip Kelly to be announced on FRIDAY

UF is considering turning down a bowl game (if eligible) to focus on recruiting
UF hoping to keep Randy Shannon for recruiting reasons, but he may get other offers
No names for OC are being floated yet

Take it or leave it

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 am

Ken Carson wrote:I just don't know that Nebraska is a high profile job anymore. There is a lot of history, but the same is true of Army.

Well, there's a reason no serious adult is talking - even drunk talking - about Chip Kelly or Jon Gruden here in Lincoln.

And if Frost had stayed at Stanford, or transferred to Colorado instead, we're probably not talking about him either. But he did play here, and that does matter to most guys with any program. I'm not going to be that guy (gal), but there is something special about being a Husker and the community here. You could say that about a ton of programs, but this is the one Frost was a part of, right?

I'm not sure who Plan B is right now, and that scares me a bit. I've heard Bret Bielema, but I'm praying that doesn't happen. He's a dirtbag. Jim McElwain would be an unfunny joke.

I'd be 100% behind Craig Bohl or Matt Campbell. The guy I'm really intrigued by his Niumatalolo from Navy. Some white-hot triple option action back in Lincoln. Yes.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 am

I’d love to see an option team in the Big 10!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:23 pm

UPDATE 3:10pm (Joey Vizzi): First, the main news: multiple sources have confirmed that Chip Kelly has accepted the job in principle. But there is a holdup.

Throughout the time in which Kelly has been unemployed, he’s kept a running list of assistant coaches he would want to bring along with him to his next head coaching job, wherever he would be. That way, when he accepted the job, he could then run through his list and assemble his staff within a day or two- which with the newly introduced early signing period this year becomes critical.

The University is now in the process of vetting each and every one of these assistants, much like they did with Kelly. I do not have names of the assistant coaches at this time, but logic indicates that at least some of them were at Oregon while the NCAA violations occurred, hence the need to vet them.

The deal is still not signed as of yet because Kelly wants to be assured that he can fill his entire staff with his hand picked guys. That indicates that no current assistants, with the possible yet unlikely exception of JaJuan Seider, will be retained.

But the bottom line is this: at this point, the only way Florida does not hire Chip Kelly is if the University receives negative results in its vetting process of his wish list of assistant coaches, will not allow Kelly to bring one or more of them on as an assistant, and if this disagreement happens in a fashion that pisses Kelly off so much that he decides he doesn’t want to coach under this administration.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:33 pm

I don't like it. We should keep Randy Shannon for defense and recruiting continuity. Shannon may be a shitty HC, but he can coach defense and is a heck of a recruiter in the state of Florida, especially the hotbed of talent in South Florida.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I don't like it. We should keep Randy Shannon for defense and recruiting continuity. Shannon may be a shitty HC, but he can coach defense and is a heck of a recruiter in the state of Florida, especially the hotbed of talent in South Florida.

Would you rather have Shannon as your DC or Kelly as your HC?

Everyone recruits well at Florida, and the defense is always good. I would argue it's been down the last 2 years compared to the past.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:56 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I don't like it. We should keep Randy Shannon for defense and recruiting continuity. Shannon may be a shitty HC, but he can coach defense and is a heck of a recruiter in the state of Florida, especially the hotbed of talent in South Florida.

Would you rather have Shannon as your DC or Kelly as your HC?

Everyone recruits well at Florida, and the defense is always good. I would argue it's been down the last 2 years compared to the past.

Kelly as HC.

I'm just being picky. I like Shannon as an assistant coach b/c of his value in recruiting. He's like Ed Ogeron in that way.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:12 am

I think Shannon probably gets a look at a mid-major job or two. He went 28-22 at Miami, which isn't remotely good enough, but considering the things he does well, I think he'd be attractive to a team like...I dunno...UCF ;)

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am

MJW wrote:I think Shannon probably gets a look at a mid-major job or two. He went 28-22 at Miami, which isn't remotely good enough, but considering the things he does well, I think he'd be attractive to a team like...I dunno...UCF ;)

UCF has a coach. He could work in Nebraska though. Get ready for your 3 star hidden gems.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:44 pm

MJW wrote:I think Shannon probably gets a look at a mid-major job or two. He went 28-22 at Miami, which isn't remotely good enough, but considering the things he does well, I think he'd be attractive to a team like...I dunno...UCF ;)

If UCF needs a coach again, I think they'll go after a big time retread like Les Miles. Honestly, if Frost leaves, he'll be leaving a job that somebody will want. Tons of great athletes, experienced returning QB who likely will stay for his senior season, too, fertile Florida recruiting area, improving facilities and donor money coming in at an all time high...
Post a reply