Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Florida fired McElwain

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Brazen331 wrote:I want no part of Chip in Gainesville.

I'm with you . .. something says no about him.
Crocaneers

Postby GameTime » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Alpha wrote:That's a wonderful wish list but somebody please explain to me, in a way that makes ANY realistic sense, how Taggart is leaving Oregon after ONE year or how Frost...a NEBRASKA kid with all kinds of ties to that program...are going to chose UF?

Listen UF fan...it's nice to want things.

Taggart and Frost are most likely NOT GONNA HAPPEN. No matter how hard you want them to.

So...out of the REST...who makes this an inspired hire...and if you tell me it's Mullins or Norvell, I'll laugh and say "Welcome to Middle of the Pack in the SEC East".

Oregon, while having Phil knight, doesnt have the same recruiting that Florida does. I agree it would be hard to pull him after one year at oregon. But he is a Florida guy, born and raised. The same applies to frost regarding recruiting. I dont believe it is easy to recruit at nebraska compared to florida. Frost does have a huge tie to nebraska, so i think he would have a tough decision if given the option. But look at his previous quotes about what types of places you need to be at to win.

So the realistic answer is its easier to recruit talent in Florida than Oregon or Nebraska.
GameTime

Postby GameTime » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:40 pm

NavyBuc wrote:My thoughts exactly with Chip Kelly. If you're Florida, how he is not #1 on your radar? The Gators are always built for defense. You put an offense on that field with the defense and you have a championship contender. Problem is they haven't been able to bring any sort of offense with speed since Meyer left. Chip Kelly has the ability to bring speed AND scoring back to Gainesville.

I'm hearing names like Dan Mullen out there and the first thing I think of is more 8-4 seasons in Gainesville. When I hear Chip Kelly, I think speed and excitement, something Florida has been lacking for some time now.
chip kelly isnt number #1 on my radar because i dont think he is a driven recruiter. I think to compete year in year out you have to go 100% in recruiting. Frost now leads the NCAA in scoring, appears to be a bright young mind, and appears to be a much stronger recruiter. Id be very happy with kelly. Id be elated with frost.
GameTime

Postby Alpha » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 pm

GameTime wrote:So the realistic answer is its easier to recruit talent in Florida than Oregon or Nebraska.

There's just one, little problem with your theory.

Oregon recruits most of their players from California...which has every bit as rich a recruiting area as Florida. Watch what happens in the next year or two at Oregon. When Taggart's Cali recruits start to mature. The reason WHY Oregon pulls in so many of the good, California recruits, is because (thanks to Nike), they have (arguably) the best athletic facilities in the country. Point is...it's easier to recruit Florida than it is OREGON...but it ain't any easier than recruiting California...except perhaps, Texas.

And MJ...with all due respect to your Nebraska knowledge...you can't tell me that Nebraska is at a disadvantage (recruiting) as opposed to conference powerhouse Wisconsin. Wisconsin has a good shot at making the final 4 this year (and nearly every year). Why? Because Madison F-ing Wisconsin is soooo much nicer than Lincoln, Nebraska? Don't get me wrong...you'd never catch me dead in either place...but if Wisconsin can compete for a national title, surely Nebraska can as well.

As far as the money goes? I disagree again. The reason is simple. If Miami, a relatively small, private school (small alumni base) can afford to pony up 4.5 for Richt...Nebraska can and will shell out 5 for Frost (if necessary). Nebraska HAS the money. And I don't think it'll take 5 mil to get Frost out of UCF. As long as UCF is in a mid-major conference, his potential is limited there. UCF is a stepping-stone for a bigger job. They have to out-bid Florida...and Frost may not be the Nebraska homer I think he is...but he has more ties there then he does Florida.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:19 am

Crocaneers wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:I want no part of Chip in Gainesville.

Well, I’m a Nole so I’m thinking we don’t want him there for different reasons.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:36 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

Well, I’m a Nole so I’m thinking we don’t want him there for different reasons.

You ABSOLUTELY want him there.

You'll score a **** load of points.
Alpha

Postby GameTime » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Alpha wrote:
GameTime wrote:So the realistic answer is its easier to recruit talent in Florida than Oregon or Nebraska.

Oregon recruits most of their players from California...which has every bit as rich a recruiting area as Florida. Watch what happens in the next year or two at Oregon. When Taggart's Cali recruits start to mature. The reason WHY Oregon pulls in so many of the good, California recruits, is because (thanks to Nike), they have (arguably) the best athletic facilities in the country. Point is...it's easier to recruit Florida than it is OREGON...but it ain't any easier than recruiting California...except perhaps, Texas.

And MJ...with all due respect to your Nebraska knowledge...you can't tell me that Nebraska is at a disadvantage (recruiting) as opposed to conference powerhouse Wisconsin. Wisconsin has a good shot at making the final 4 this year (and nearly every year). Why? Because Madison F-ing Wisconsin is soooo much nicer than Lincoln, Nebraska? Don't get me wrong...you'd never catch me dead in either place...but if Wisconsin can compete for a national title, surely Nebraska can as well.
so how come oregon still doesnt recruit as the Florida schools? Even when htey had Chip Kelly, they werent recruiting as well were they? Sure, California does have a lot of recruits. But its much more difficult to pull them to oregon imo (even with the facilities). I believe it also puts much more strain on a coaches travel when seeing multiple players, but that is just a guess. Taggarts classes at oregon would not be as highly rated as taggarts classes at Florida/fsu imo - but that is just an assumption.

Wisconsin didnt even have to play a ranked team this year, that might be why they are looking so good? Like you said, Wisconsin and nebraska could compete for a national title, and will on occasion. But i dont think you are the only one with the attitude that you’d much rather be somewhere else. Which makes recruiting easier for other schools.
GameTime

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:11 pm

GameTime wrote:
Alpha wrote:

so how come oregon still doesnt recruit as the Florida schools? Even when htey had Chip Kelly, they werent recruiting as well were they? Sure, California does have a lot of recruits. But its much more difficult to pull them to oregon imo (even with the facilities). I believe it also puts much more strain on a coaches travel when seeing multiple players, but that is just a guess. Taggarts classes at oregon would not be as highly rated as taggarts classes at Florida/fsu imo - but that is just an assumption.

Wisconsin didnt even have to play a ranked team this year, that might be why they are looking so good? Like you said, Wisconsin and nebraska could compete for a national title, and will on occasion. But i dont think you are the only one with the attitude that you’d much rather be somewhere else. Which makes recruiting easier for other schools.

WTF does this even mean?

This isn't even about "this year". Wisconsin is competitive EVERY year...or as much as any other team. Sure...this year's schedule helps THIS YEAR...but they'll be in contention next year as well.

The rest of your crap makes no sense. Kelly recruited pretty ****ing well at Oregon. You might have noticed they were damn good.

A good recruiter will recruit well ANYWHERE. You're a ****ing salesman. Some are better at it than others. It doesn't hurt recruiting athletes, when you bring them on campus and show them world-class facilities (like Oregon has). And California is as rich a recruiting ground as Florida. You're welcome to your wrong opinion but only time will tell. What I know is this. Taggart won at W. Kentucky (because of recruiting that fertile Kentucky hotbed of football players). He won at USF. I'm gonna roll the dice and say he'll win at Oregon as well. Despite having the "disadvantage" of having to recruit California. When he's competing for a national title in 2 years, we'll discuss it then.
Alpha

Postby GameTime » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Alpha wrote:WTF does this even mean?

This isn't even about "this year". Wisconsin is competitive EVERY year...or as much as any other team. Sure...this year's schedule helps THIS YEAR...but they'll be in contention next year as well.

The rest of your crap makes no sense. Kelly recruited pretty ****ing well at Oregon. You might have noticed they were damn good.

A good recruiter will recruit well ANYWHERE. You're a ****ing salesman. Some are better at it than others. It doesn't hurt recruiting athletes, when you bring them on campus and show them world-class facilities (like Oregon has). And California is as rich a recruiting ground as Florida. You're welcome to your wrong opinion but only time will tell. What I know is this. Taggart won at W. Kentucky (because of recruiting that fertile Kentucky hotbed of football players). He won at USF. I'm gonna roll the dice and say he'll win at Oregon as well. Despite having the "disadvantage" of having to recruit California. When he's competing for a national title in 2 years, we'll discuss it then.
i thought it was pretty simple. Its easier to recruit Florida when you are a coach at a major Florida school than it is to recruit California when you are located in oregon. Chip Kelly never had a top 10 class. I do agree a good recruiter will recruit well anywhere, but its similar to Sabans recruiting at MSU vs LSU and Bama. Some places are easier to recruit. Wisc is competitive every year, but they usually get knocked off when they have to face top 10 talent. Taggart will recruit fine at oregon, but i doubt he will every win or even play for a National title at oregon. I dont think he will ever have consecutive top5 recruiting classes at oregon. I think Taggart probably did a heckuva job at wku, but 4 years later Jeff brohm won 11 games there also, compared to taggarts 7 win seasons.

Keep making up stuff - who used the word disadvantage? I dont believe its an advantage to have to recruit out of state, if thats what you mean.
GameTime

Postby GameTime » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Here is an example of what im talking about.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/u ... story.html

Even more telling, though, was Frost saying it was actually easier recruiting to UCF than it was when he was an assistant at Oregon. Frost admitted it was a tough sell to convince recruits to travel hundreds, even thousands of miles, to play football in the Pacific Northwest.

I've been recruiting all week,” Frost said last year upon taking his name out of the running at Oregon. “[One day,] I drove to a [nearby] town in Florida, recruited and was back in Orlando that night. [The next day,] I drove to another town in Florida and was back at home that night. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and sleeping in a different state every night.”
GameTime

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby PanteraCanes » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21272643/inside-story-split-florida-gators-football-coach-jim-mcelwain

I am looking forward to Shannon being co-head coach with Spurier.
PanteraCanes

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:03 pm

From a very reliable source. UF has reached out to representatives of Bob Stoops, Chip Kelly, and Charlie Strong to gauge interest in becoming the #Gators next head coach. These are believed to be UF's top choices.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:From a very reliable source. UF has reached out to representatives of Bob Stoops, Chip Kelly, and Charlie Strong to gauge interest in becoming the #Gators next head coach. These are believed to be UF's top choices.

I seriously doubt Charlie Strong leaves USF, at this point. He has family ties here (his wife is from Lakeland) and he doesn't strike me as the type to split after one year.

I guess we'll see...
Alpha

Postby GameTime » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:From a very reliable source. UF has reached out to representatives of Bob Stoops, Chip Kelly, and Charlie Strong to gauge interest in becoming the #Gators next head coach. These are believed to be UF's top choices.

I heard that the guy who posted that was actually someone without sources. Who knows. I certainly think they have contacted all 3, but i seriously doubt that those are the top 3. If so, i would think they would already be finalizing deals with kelly or stoops.
GameTime

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 am

Stoops was called Monday after Mac was fired. I think they are talking to Kelly out of courtesy, but not sure Strickin wants him. I agree that Charlie won't come here. He knows where is is good, and does like the Tampa area [to the point of wife's family, etc]. He has a chance to make USF a prominent program.
Crocaneers

Postby Alpha » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:22 am

Crocaneers wrote:Stoops was called Monday after Mac was fired. I think they are talking to Kelly out of courtesy, but not sure Strickin wants him. I agree that Charlie won't come here. He knows where is is good, and does like the Tampa area [to the point of wife's family, etc]. He has a chance to make USF a prominent program.

And to do it without the pressure of leading a big time program.

And after hearing the stories of his tenure at Texas...I don't blame him. He went through some ****, apparently.
Alpha

Postby GameTime » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:16 am

Crocaneers wrote:I think they are talking to Kelly out of courtesy, but not sure Strickin wants him.
i agree with this. But it seems there is a lot of buzz right now with kelly. Nothing surprises me anymore with all this, and i realize most info is wrong right now. But its building steam.
GameTime

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am

According to Thamel, "a thorough vetting of Kelly has begun," which includes calls to NFL executives and a look at his NCAA issues at Oregon.

Thamel adds that if there is mutual interest between Kelly and Florida, "it's likely that a deal would come before the AAC title game." Thamel also mentioned UCF coach Scott Frost and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen as other potential hires for the Gators.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Confirmed that UF is looking at Chip Kelly as next head coach. Decision could be as soon as this week. Also heard that Florida was becoming very frustrated with Jimmy Sexton, who represents many other potential candidates. Chip is represented by David Dunn.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Confirmed that UF is looking at Chip Kelly as next head coach. Decision could be as soon as this week. Also heard that Florida was becoming very frustrated with Jimmy Sexton, who represents many other potential candidates. Chip is represented by David Dunn.

Just had the same conversation as well. Word is Stricklin and Kelly are talking

it appears Sexton isn't helping anyone's cause (except potentially his, which in itself turns bad). With the number of SEC teams looking for coaches, he may want to change his tune.
Crocaneers

Postby PanteraCanes » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm

I mean, if you have a history now of firing your coach and worming your way out of paying upon the agreed buyout it seems like it might be in the best interest not to go to such a school. You might get paid well for the 2-3 years but then looking for another job and not getting the buyout.
PanteraCanes

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Confirmed that UF is looking at Chip Kelly as next head coach. Decision could be as soon as this week. Also heard that Florida was becoming very frustrated with Jimmy Sexton, who represents many other potential candidates. Chip is represented by David Dunn.

Just had the same conversation as well. Word is Stricklin and Kelly are talking

it appears Sexton isn't helping anyone's cause (except potentially his, which in itself turns bad). With the number of SEC teams looking for coaches, he may want to change his tune.

Just saw someone mention on Twitter Chip Kelly currently in contract negotiations with the University of Florida. Deal done, terms being finalized. Announcement in next couple of days
Phantom Phenom

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Postby deltbucs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm

This sucks. First Miami gets a competent coach and now UF is getting Kelly. Kelly with a defense and the athletes he can recruit in Florida is a scary thought.
deltbucs

Postby PanteraCanes » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:19 pm

deltbucs wrote:This sucks. First Miami gets a competent coach and now UF is getting Kelly. Kelly with a defense and the athletes he can recruit in Florida is a scary thought.

It will be interesting. He hates recruiting and the state of Florida is really bad for you if you hate that. He also wants to be in charge (example his NFL stints) but currently it appears the current AD, the previous AD, and Spurrier are all in line ahead of the coach.
PanteraCanes

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:29 pm

As an FSU fan, I don't like the sound of Chip Kelly in Gainesville.
Deuce

Postby deltbucs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
deltbucs wrote:This sucks. First Miami gets a competent coach and now UF is getting Kelly. Kelly with a defense and the athletes he can recruit in Florida is a scary thought.

It will be interesting. He hates recruiting and the state of Florida is really bad for you if you hate that. He also wants to be in charge (example his NFL stints) but currently it appears the current AD, the previous AD, and Spurrier are all in line ahead of the coach.

Yeah....I've tried to talk myself into thinking it won't be a good hire, too.
deltbucs

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm

As a Gator, I think Chip Kelly will be spectacular. I just don't know if it will be in a good way or bad way.

The offense should be better (it can't be worse, right?), I'm intrigued to see if what Kelly's offense can do with the type of recruits he should be able to get at UF compared to Oregon.

If he didn't like to recruit at Oregon I hope he's had a change of heart b/c recruiting is a whole different animal in the southeastern US, especially in the state of Florida. If he thinks he can battle the SEC heavyweights + FSU with a bunch of 3* recruits like he did at Oregon he will be in for a rude awakening.

He should go after the 5* dual threat QB that just committed to Georgia (Justin Fields?). Kelly has a pretty impressive resume when it comes college QBs. I don't remember every QB he had at Oregon but they were all very productive and seemed like perennial Heisman contenders regardless of the name on the back of the jersey. I can't imagine if he got his hands on a Cam Newton/Tebow type of HS QB prospect. Plus it would be a great way to piss off Georgia fans.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm

This move is really high in Boom/Bust potential. I'm not worried about recruiting... there's a fair number of recruits that will jump at the chance to play for him. What concerns me is the whole sanctions issue that follows. After years of trying to clean up the program only to have this year's **** show happen, are they just throwing their hands up in the air and saying "**** it, just give us wins regardless of the cost"?

That said, we'll definitely be winning games again so I can't complain too much.
bucfanclw

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk