Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Florida fired McElwain

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:54 am

Fire McElwain!
uscbucsfan

Re: Florida administrators discussing if they can fire McElw

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:I still blame Grier.... He seems to be a fair QB in WV and if he doesn't take some supplement he would have been in Florida's system for three years and would, I believe, be a good QB here.

Between that and half of the offensive starters being suspended for fraud, this season was gonna suck out loud anyway....

If they fire this coach, the days of Florida being one of those top tier coaching gigs may be over for a while

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21145750/nation-most-prolific-qb-way-more-famous-brothers

As a redshirt freshman with the Gators, he went 5-0 as a starter, culminating with a dramatic comeback against Tennessee in which he threw two touchdowns in the game's final four minutes.

Two weeks later, he was summoned to coach Jim McElwain's office. Soon, Will's career at Florida would effectively be finished.

Will Muschamp had recruited Will to Florida, but Muschamp had been fired after Will's first year, and replaced with McElwain.

Unaware anything might be wrong, Will assumed McElwain just wanted to chat with his quarterback. Instead, Will was told he had tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance found in an over-the-counter supplement. The penalty of the offense carried a one-year suspension.

"I was blindsided," Will said. "I had no idea I was doing anything wrong."

When Will first showed up at Florida, he weighed 188 pounds. He wasn't crazy about the Gatorade-based protein drinks offered at the stadium, because of their sugar and carbohydrates. Knowing he'd need to gain weight to withstand the pounding of the SEC, he visited a nutrition store in Gainesville in search of protein powder. Will says he checked online to make sure what he bought wasn't banned by the NCAA, but he never double-checked with Florida's training staff.

"I'm by the book, I follow the rules, I thought I was following the rules," he said. "But I was young, I was careless with it."

McElwain told reporters that Will would be allowed to continue practicing with the team, then, according to Will, told him to take some time at home in North Carolina.

Upon returning to Gainesville, Will didn't feel welcomed.

At Florida, Grier had a 5-0 record before being suspended. Kim Klement/USA TODAY Sports
"[McElwain] didn't really invite me back to the stadium, and it felt weird the times I would go up there," Will said. "There was this idea that I knew what I was doing, which was not the case. The players would come over to my house, but it was weird to go to the stadium with the staff. The dynamic was just off."

Will even offered to play scout-team quarterback the week of the SEC championship game to help prepare Florida's defense for Alabama. He was turned down for that, too.

"He loved being a Gator. He loved the place, the school, the people, he was proud to be a Gator. He was all in," Chad said. "I didn't realize he had been ostracized. I underestimated the impact of what he was going through, and the fact he wasn't doing good. He was in a dark place."

After revealing to his dad that he'd been cut off, Will asked if he'd come with him to meet with McElwain "to figure this out." When McElwain showed up more than two hours late to their appointment, Chad knew it was a bad sign.

McElwain said Will was welcome to stay, but also suggested a fresh start elsewhere might not be a bad idea. After the meeting, Chad told his son, "I don't think he wants you.'"

McElwain later insinuated that the Griers had asked for a "guarantee" that Will would get the job back once he was eligible to return.

They vehemently contest that.

"I was expecting a 10-minute meeting: 'Hey, we care about your son, he's important to the program,'" Chad said. "Just wanted to know he was wanted there, because there was no plan. How are you going to help and develop him, even though he's going to have to sit out?

"The last thing we asked for was a guarantee."

As rocky as the first meeting with McElwain went, Will wasn't quite ready to let go.

"I wanted to stay. ... So I went back and met with him, just one-on-one," Will said. "But it felt like this staff wanted to move on, which is fine, there's no hard feelings toward that. They have their own recruits, their own guys."

Toward the end, when Will agreed to leave, McElwain printed out prepared releases for schools he could transfer to, which precluded the SEC, rival Florida State and future opponent Michigan. And, as Will put it, "left it at that."

I had not read that and was unaware of the treatment.... Still have to wonder what might have been but it's much harder to place it on Grier now that's for sure....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby GameTime » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:14 pm

I would take that story with a grain of salt. Its one side to promote the career of grier. Id say as usual, the truth lies in the middle.

And due to hipaa, we will never know what grier tested positive for.
GameTime

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Grier is an ***hole and so is his dad. I'm not absolving CoachMac and I'm sure that story may of some underlings of truth. But that kid was burning bridges from the moment he stepped on campus so it's not a big surprise the staff wasn't clamoring to support him after he got suspended for PEDs.

His story about "whey protein" is BS fwiw. I don't have any facts but know people 'in the know' up in Gainesville and I'd bet a pretty penny he was injecting synthetic hormones (steroids). He rocked up in a matter of months, which is not uncommon for kids when they are exposed to the nutrition and workout plans at these major programs. But his rapid lean muscle mass gains were kinda skeptical and their were rumors out it prior to the failed test/suspension even happened.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:59 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Grier is an ***hole and so is his dad. I'm not absolving CoachMac and I'm sure that story may of some underlings of truth. But that kid was burning bridges from the moment he stepped on campus so it's not a big surprise the staff wasn't clamoring to support him after he got suspended for PEDs.

His story about "whey protein" is BS fwiw. I don't have any facts but know people 'in the know' up in Gainesville and I'd bet a pretty penny he was injecting synthetic hormones (steroids). He rocked up in a matter of months, which is not uncommon for kids when they are exposed to the nutrition and workout plans at these major programs. But his rapid lean muscle mass gains were kinda skeptical and their were rumors out it prior to the failed test/suspension even happened.

Who cares if he was using steroids or was a douche. Coach Mac was dumb for not doing everything possible to have him stay. He was/is a really good QB and now Mac is fired because he couldn't find a QB or develop an offense.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Who cares if he was using steroids or was a douche. Coach Mac was dumb for not doing everything possible to have him stay. He was/is a really good QB and now Mac is fired because he couldn't find a QB or develop an offense.

What you just wrote. Read it out loud. :cartman:
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Kress wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I stand by it. If he took steroids, is that really a big deal? It happens happens often in football. He may or may not have had an attitude, he's a kid, but he was the last good QB at Florida since Tebow. Do we need to go down the list of"big" schools and see how high talent gets a pass for far worse transgressions? It's about winning.
uscbucsfan

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Kress wrote:

I stand by it. If he took steroids, is that really a big deal?

This isn't 1988.

Yeah...it's kind of a "big deal".
Alpha

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Alpha wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
I stand by it. If he took steroids, is that really a big deal?

This isn't 1988.

Yeah...it's kind of a "big deal".

Are you serious?

Players at all levels of football use them. Large high schools, CFB and the NFL. This isn't baseball we are talking about. I never said he shouldn't have been suspended, but with the talent he has, there should have been more of an effort. I heard on the radio today that other "personnel" at Florida would back Grier's story. They said that's just the kind of guy McElwain was. He was a pain in the ass to work with.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Players at all levels of football use them. Large high schools, CFB and the NFL. This isn't baseball we are talking about. I never said he shouldn't have been suspended, but with the talent he has, there should have been more of an effort.

Kress

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:37 am

You jorts wearing goobers need to back off Scott Frost. He belongs back in Lincoln.

I'm hoping you hire Chip Kelly. Kelly's offense + that Florida speed would be something to watch.
MJW

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:45 am

MJW wrote:You jorts wearing goobers need to back off Scott Frost. He belongs back in Lincoln.

I'm hoping you hire Chip Kelly. Kelly's offense + that Florida speed would be something to watch.

Uh oh

On Wednesday, Central Florida coach Scott Frost emerged as the betting favorite for the Florida job. The school parted ways with Jim McElwain this past Sunday.

Willie Taggart?
Phantom Phenom

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:
MJW wrote:You jorts wearing goobers need to back off Scott Frost. He belongs back in Lincoln.

Uh oh

On Wednesday, Central Florida coach Scott Frost emerged as the betting favorite for the Florida job. The school parted ways with Jim McElwain this past Sunday.

Willie Taggart?

Sigh. It's certainly possible. Florida is a top tier job, Nebraska is not. But hopefully Nebraska is willing to compete with the checkbook, and Florida errs on the side of someone with a bit more experience. Hopefully.
MJW

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:46 am

Come on UCF, step up to the plate and keep him. Maybe its just baseless optimism but I think they might keep him.

Edit:
Also if Chip Kelly comes back I don't see it being to a Florida school. Seems part of the reason he is trying to hold onto the NFL is because he isn't really into all the recruiting and dealing with kids. The state of Florida is the worst place for that kind of attitude.

Seems Tennessee is also dreaming of Gruden. I am sure that will become a UF dream too. Don't see Gruden coming back even if his dream college offered. Making too much money and has too much family time with what he is doing now.
PanteraCanes

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:10 am

PanteraCanes wrote:Come on UCF, step up to the plate and keep him. Maybe its just baseless optimism but I think they might keep him.

Edit:
Also if Chip Kelly comes back I don't see it being to a Florida school. Seems part of the reason he is trying to hold onto the NFL is because he isn't really into all the recruiting and dealing with kids. The state of Florida is the worst place for that kind of attitude.

Seems Tennessee is also dreaming of Gruden. I am sure that will become a UF dream too. Don't see Gruden coming back even if his dream college offered. Making too much money and has too much family time with what he is doing now.

Gruden to Tennessee isn't happening imo. He started his coaching career as a GA there and that's where he met his wife (she was a cheerleader iirc) and they have a son that goes to Tennessee. So that is why the rumors are connecting him to the program. But I don't see Gruden coaching college. Atleast not right now when his youngest is still a HS sophomore here in Tampa where they live.

I'm still of the opinion that IF Gruden returns to coaching prior to 2020 (his youngest is c/o '19) it will only be for the perfect job, which I'd describe as an NFL job, in Tampa, with a team that has a good young QB already on the roster.

Once all the kids are out of the house he'll still be looking for the right opportunity, but would be much more willing to relocate to a new city.
DreadNaught

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:Come on UCF, step up to the plate and keep him. Maybe its just baseless optimism but I think they might keep him.

Edit:

Gruden to Tennessee isn't happening imo. He started his coaching career as a GA there and that's where he met his wife (she was a cheerleader iirc) and they have a son that goes to Tennessee. So that is why the rumors are connecting him to the program. But I don't see Gruden coaching college. Atleast not right now when his youngest is still a HS sophomore here in Tampa where they live.

I'm still of the opinion that IF Gruden returns to coaching prior to 2020 (his youngest is c/o '19) it will only be for the perfect job, which I'd describe as an NFL job, in Tampa, with a team that has a good young QB already on the roster.

Once all the kids are out of the house he'll still be looking for the right opportunity, but would be much more willing to relocate to a new city.

I could only dream. I don't see him coming back under the current owners. It just seems like something very weird and abrupt happened in his firing. Though I will say I didn't see the current owners putting him in the Ring of Honor so who knows?
PanteraCanes

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:49 am

After a couple of days reflection...and listening to the local radio hacks (Tampa)...a few thoughts:

Mullins (?) seems to have the inside track for the job...at this point. And he would be EXACTLY the kind of uninspired hire that UF can't make...but probably will. He reminds me of Miami hiring Al Golden. Did decently well at a middling program...and Miss St. IS a middling program...but just isn't cut out to be a HC at a bigger program.

Taggert would be a great hire...I just don't see it happening. This year. He's been at Oregon ONE year. His first "big time" job. He seems to be the guy AFTER they hire the next guy.

I just don't see how Frost doesn't end up in Nebraska. His offense is built for the Big 12...not the SEC. He'd be a great hire...especially over Mullins...but I just don't see a scenario where this happens.

The more I thought about it, the more I dislike a Kelly hire. Again...he's not a SEC kind of coach. When was the last time he had a GREAT defense? His scheme is built for the PAC 12/Big 12. He's the type of "name" that UF needs...he's just not a good fit, IMO. I suppose he could pan out as a Meyer-type.

IMO...there would be 2 guys that would do UF a shit-ton of good. Y'all are gonna kill me for this but there I could make an argument for either guy:

Schiano:

UF has a problem. Their athletes are running the asylum. We've all had the credit card stealing debacle beaten to death. The player suspensions. All that ****. That program needs DISCIPLINE. Schiano is a good guy to bring in to change the culture of that program. He's a good guy to be the guy BEFORE they bring in THE GUY.

Butch Davis:

He may be too old...not sure of his age. He was the guy that turned Miami around, when they were in a similar situation (regarding the lack of a disciplined program).

UF has a DISCIPLINE problem. They'll ALWAYS be able to recruit. Especially in Florida. The CULTURE of that program needs to be corrected. They need a guy to do that...and then BRING IN THE GUY who will get them in the title picture.
Alpha

Postby GameTime » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Who cares if he was using steroids or was a douche. Coach Mac was dumb for not doing everything possible to have him stay. He was/is a really good QB and now Mac is fired because he couldn't find a QB or develop an offense.

I agree to an extent. Coach mac was dumb for not having a backup plan in place. He should have gone with the, “i will tolerate you until i can replace you”.

I think its similar to Urban Meyer “letting” Cam Newton leave.
GameTime

Postby GameTime » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

uscbucsfan wrote: He may or may not have had an attitude, he's a kid, but he was the last good QB at Florida since Tebow.

He was the last QB to play well at UF. Newton, brissett and driskel are all in the the NFL. Thats incompetency with the coaching staff.
GameTime

Postby GameTime » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:26 am

No coach belongs in Lincoln. I do think frost would have a tough decision if he were offered the UF job. Go with the extreme job, where you have the best chance to win but a fanbase with unrealistic expectations. Or go to a cushier job at your dream school where its more difficult to win but you will be praised for just being in the discussion.

How is kellys offense different from frosts?
GameTime

Postby GameTime » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:33 am

Alpha wrote:After a couple of days reflection...and listening to the local radio hacks (Tampa)...a few thoughts:

Mullins (?) seems to have the inside track for the job...at this point. And he would be EXACTLY the kind of uninspired hire that UF can't make...but probably will. He reminds me of Miami hiring Al Golden. Did decently well at a middling program...and Miss St. IS a middling program...but just isn't cut out to be a HC at a bigger program.

Taggert would be a great hire...I just don't see it happening. This year. He's been at Oregon ONE year. His first "big time" job. He seems to be the guy AFTER they hire the next guy.

I just don't see how Frost doesn't end up in Nebraska. His offense is built for the Big 12...not the SEC. He'd be a great hire...especially over Mullins...but I just don't see a scenario where this happens.

The more I thought about it, the more I dislike a Kelly hire. Again...he's not a SEC kind of coach. When was the last time he had a GREAT defense? His scheme is built for the PAC 12/Big 12. He's the type of "name" that UF needs...he's just not a good fit, IMO. I suppose he could pan out as a Meyer-type.

IMO...there would be 2 guys that would do UF a shit-ton of good. Y'all are gonna kill me for this but there I could make an argument for either guy:

Schiano:

UF has a problem. Their athletes are running the asylum. We've all had the credit card stealing debacle beaten to death. The player suspensions. All that ****. That program needs DISCIPLINE. Schiano is a good guy to bring in to change the culture of that program. He's a good guy to be the guy BEFORE they bring in THE GUY.

Butch Davis:

He may be too old...not sure of his age. He was the guy that turned Miami around, when they were in a similar situation (regarding the lack of a disciplined program).

UF has a DISCIPLINE problem. They'll ALWAYS be able to recruit. Especially in Florida. The CULTURE of that program needs to be corrected. They need a guy to do that...and then BRING IN THE GUY who will get them in the title picture.
agree on mullen. I dont think he has the inside track but i think he is the fallback. Wouldnt unite the fanbase, but wouldnt be the worst hire.

Taggart - would really like him. One year at oregon though would be difficult to leave.

Frost - i havent watched a lot of his offense, but i always figured it was more similar to what he was running at oregon rather than what HE ran at nebraska? I very easily could see him at nebraska, but i could also see him making a decision with his head rather than his heart.

Kelly - not my favorite, but he brings instant offense.

Schiano - no way. Not ever. I would hate it, especially after watching him crash and burn in tampa.

Davis - the UNC soured me. The 6 years away from coaching soured me. And hes old.

Frost and Taggart. Then possible Norvell but i dont know much about him. After that the pickins get slim real fast.
GameTime

Postby Buc You » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:52 am

Alpha wrote:UF has a DISCIPLINE problem. They'll ALWAYS be able to recruit. Especially in Florida. The CULTURE of that program needs to be corrected. They need a guy to do that...and then BRING IN THE GUY who will get them in the title picture.

Aaron Hernandez was on our last NC team. Our discipline issue is nothing new.

That said, we want wins and points, not merit badges.
Buc You

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:49 pm

1. Scott Frost
2. Mike Norvell
3 Chip Kelly

darkhorse Justin Fuente
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 pm

GameTime wrote:
Alpha wrote:After a couple of days reflection...and listening to the local radio hacks (Tampa)...a few thoughts:

Schiano:

Butch Davis:

agree on mullen. I dont think he has the inside track but i think he is the fallback. Wouldnt unite the fanbase, but wouldnt be the worst hire.

Taggart - would really like him. One year at oregon though would be difficult to leave.

Frost - i havent watched a lot of his offense, but i always figured it was more similar to what he was running at oregon rather than what HE ran at nebraska? I very easily could see him at nebraska, but i could also see him making a decision with his head rather than his heart.

Kelly - not my favorite, but he brings instant offense.

Schiano - no way. Not ever. I would hate it, especially after watching him crash and burn in tampa.

Davis - the UNC soured me. The 6 years away from coaching soured me. And hes old.

Frost and Taggart. Then possible Norvell but i dont know much about him. After that the pickins get slim real fast.

That's a wonderful wish list but somebody please explain to me, in a way that makes ANY realistic sense, how Taggart is leaving Oregon after ONE year or how Frost...a NEBRASKA kid with all kinds of ties to that program...are going to chose UF?

Listen UF fan...it's nice to want things.

Taggart and Frost are most likely NOT GONNA HAPPEN. No matter how hard you want them to.

So...out of the REST...who makes this an inspired hire...and if you tell me it's Mullins or Norvell, I'll laugh and say "Welcome to Middle of the Pack in the SEC East".
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Edit:

I really got the feeling after that first episode of HN that Gruden would definitely leave that MNF gig to return to Tampa. He is probably loving this losing streak.

I’m sure he would demand total control which would turn me off. Gruden sucks at drafting and selecting FAs but if he would agree to just coach I have no doubt that he could make this roster win.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 am

GameTime wrote:

No coach belongs in Lincoln. I do think frost would have a tough decision if he were offered the UF job. Go with the extreme job, where you have the best chance to win but a fanbase with unrealistic expectations. Or go to a cushier job at your dream school where its more difficult to win but you will be praised for just being in the discussion.

They're pretty similar as far as I can tell; Kelly is just the grandmaster at running it. Seeing him do so with those Florida recruits would be something.

The problem with Lincoln is, we have an older fanbase and most of them still remember Osborne, and they still have those expectations. For people like me on planet earth, I've pretty much accepted that the ceiling in this Big Ten era is the Conference Title game, and a good showing against a more talented program. These folks don't want to hear that. They still think Tommy Frazier and Grant Wistrom are going to come through that door and we're going to triple-option our way to 1995. It's not happening.

Here's something I don't think is widely known about Frost - he's really not a "bleed scarlet and cream" type, despite being a Nebraskan. He's off-handedly commented about how he considers himself as much a Stanford Cardinal as a Cornhusker. He didn't come back to visit much after he graduated, at least compared to a lot of guys. There are some dudes who would turn down Alabama or Ohio State to be a Cornhusker. He's not one of them.

Mike Riley is making about $3 mil a year. If the Gators offer Frost $5 mil, we're not matching it, and he's not going to "come home" out of loyalty.
MJW

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:04 am

My thoughts exactly with Chip Kelly. If you're Florida, how he is not #1 on your radar? The Gators are always built for defense. You put an offense on that field with the defense and you have a championship contender. Problem is they haven't been able to bring any sort of offense with speed since Meyer left. Chip Kelly has the ability to bring speed AND scoring back to Gainesville.

I'm hearing names like Dan Mullen out there and the first thing I think of is more 8-4 seasons in Gainesville. When I hear Chip Kelly, I think speed and excitement, something Florida has been lacking for some time now.
NavyBuc

Postby Super K » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 am

NavyBuc wrote:My thoughts exactly with Chip Kelly. If you're Florida, how he is not #1 on your radar? The Gators are always built for defense. You put an offense on that field with the defense and you have a championship contender. Problem is they haven't been able to bring any sort of offense with speed since Meyer left. Chip Kelly has the ability to bring speed AND scoring back to Gainesville.

I'm hearing names like Dan Mullen out there and the first thing I think of is more 8-4 seasons in Gainesville. When I hear Chip Kelly, I think speed and excitement, something Florida has been lacking for some time now.

PLUS some cool ass new uniforms...they come with the Kelly package...
Super K

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 am

I want no part of Chip in Gainesville.
Brazen331

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:15 pm

MJW wrote:
GameTime wrote:No coach belongs in Lincoln. I do think frost would have a tough decision if he were offered the UF job. Go with the extreme job, where you have the best chance to win but a fanbase with unrealistic expectations. Or go to a cushier job at your dream school where its more difficult to win but you will be praised for just being in the discussion.

They're pretty similar as far as I can tell; Kelly is just the grandmaster at running it. Seeing him do so with those Florida recruits would be something.

The problem with Lincoln is, we have an older fanbase and most of them still remember Osborne, and they still have those expectations. For people like me on planet earth, I've pretty much accepted that the ceiling in this Big Ten era is the Conference Title game, and a good showing against a more talented program. These folks don't want to hear that. They still think Tommy Frazier and Grant Wistrom are going to come through that door and we're going to triple-option our way to 1995. It's not happening.

Here's something I don't think is widely known about Frost - he's really not a "bleed scarlet and cream" type, despite being a Nebraskan. He's off-handedly commented about how he considers himself as much a Stanford Cardinal as a Cornhusker. He didn't come back to visit much after he graduated, at least compared to a lot of guys. There are some dudes who would turn down Alabama or Ohio State to be a Cornhusker. He's not one of them.

Mike Riley is making about $3 mil a year. If the Gators offer Frost $5 mil, we're not matching it, and he's not going to "come home" out of loyalty.

Frost's offense is like Kelly's but the QB is more passer than runner. Milton takes off for first downs but not huge runs. Attacks the whole width and length of the field. Uptempo, lots of read options.
Ken Carson

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk