Dan Mullen to Florida

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:UCF is at their peak. They will never be a contender for the Playoff series. Frost will go to UF. I don't know that a better job opens up for him. Nebraska wouldn't make sense even with Tom Osborne in his ear. He's not getting the players for his offense at Nebraska. Every kid at UCF he has he can get a duplicate of at UF.

If Frost stays at UCF, he could turn it into the next big time college program. He's turned a winless team into an undefeated offensive machine in two seasons usin underlassmen. Should he stay, this is probably the 3rd best UCF team he will field over the next three seasons. Like I mentioned above, their top 5 offensive skill guys are underclassmen, and 4 of those guys are sophomores or freshmen.

That would be in the school's best interest. Stay dominant long enough and get called up to the power five in the next realignment.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 507 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:UCF is at their peak. They will never be a contender for the Playoff series. Frost will go to UF. I don't know that a better job opens up for him. Nebraska wouldn't make sense even with Tom Osborne in his ear. He's not getting the players for his offense at Nebraska. Every kid at UCF he has he can get a duplicate of at UF.

If Frost stays at UCF, he could turn it into the next big time college program. He's turned a winless team into an undefeated offensive machine in two seasons usin underlassmen. Should he stay, this is probably the 3rd best UCF team he will field over the next three seasons. Like I mentioned above, their top 5 offensive skill guys are underclassmen, and 4 of those guys are sophomores or freshmen.


A lot of coulds in there.

He can also go to Florida, have amongst if not THE best facilities in the country and have the same or better recruiting base. It's a no brainer.
Four Verticals
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:If Frost stays at UCF, he could turn it into the next big time college program. He's turned a winless team into an undefeated offensive machine in two seasons usin underlassmen. Should he stay, this is probably the 3rd best UCF team he will field over the next three seasons. Like I mentioned above, their top 5 offensive skill guys are underclassmen, and 4 of those guys are sophomores or freshmen.


A lot of coulds in there.

He can also go to Florida, have amongst if not THE best facilities in the country and have the same or better recruiting base. It's a no brainer.

Also, plenty of old money donors who will have a say in everything he does. Big time college programs are a double edged sword. Just ask Jim McElwain who came into Florida as a hotshot coach and left on a rail.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:If Frost stays at UCF, he could turn it into the next big time college program. He's turned a winless team into an undefeated offensive machine in two seasons usin underlassmen. Should he stay, this is probably the 3rd best UCF team he will field over the next three seasons. Like I mentioned above, their top 5 offensive skill guys are underclassmen, and 4 of those guys are sophomores or freshmen.

That would be in the school's best interest. Stay dominant long enough and get called up to the power five in the next realignment.

I think 2021 is the next realignment, so it lines up pretty darn well.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 am

Ken Carson wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:
Word is he's already agreed to a deal with Nebraska. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but there are several reports out there that sources at Nebraska are saying it's a done deal for Frost to Nebraska.

If Florida loses out on Kelly and Frost, that's a big slap in the face. Now you have to go to Tier B of coaches. Talked to a fan at USF about Charlie Strong and he lauged and said "they can have him." If they have to settle for Charlie Strong, WIllie Taggart or Dan Mullen, that smells like more 8-4 seasons to me. I would say Mike Norvell is the most attractive option after Scott Frost and they should focus on him.

Every report on Frost to Nebraska starts with one guy, Lars Anderson. He is the only person claiming to have a source on the deal, and everyone else is quoting him. Could easily be a guy in the Nebraska athletic department feeding him **** to keep Florida/Tennessee/UCLA off Frost.


It's also now coming from Chris Fowler on ESPN who probably sent out an accidental tweet in the middle of the night that the Frost-to-Nebraska deal has been a done deal for a while now. I think in the end, that's where Frost is likely going. While I think Florida is the better job for him, he will choose Nebraska. I think Florida ends up with a Tier 2 candidate who will take them to some more 8-4 or 9-3 seasons. Maybe a Charlie Strong or Willie Taggart, although I'm not really sure why Taggart is getting so much love.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Scott Frost to Florida?

Postby Native Son » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Florida needs a splash hire.
It won't happen any other way.
User avatar
Native Son
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:22 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Scott Frost to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB
Bruce Feldman Retweeted Dan Wolken

Have heard something similar about #Tennessee and Schiano and that there's strong interest in him.. He's had some traction there for awhile.

Bruce Feldman added,

Dan WolkenVerified account @DanWolken
Sources: As the last 24 hours have evolved, Greg Schiano has emerged as the focus of Tennessee’s search. Vols have also been engaged with Mullen, who has been trying to wait out Florida.
12:38 PM - 26 Nov 2017


oh boy!
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Scott Frost to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:52 pm

SOURCE: Florida is targeting Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen as its next head coach. Decision expected by the end of the day. Pete Thamel‏Verified account
@PeteThamel
11m11 minutes ago
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Scott Frost to Florida?

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB
Bruce Feldman Retweeted Dan Wolken

Have heard something similar about #Tennessee and Schiano and that there's strong interest in him.. He's had some traction there for awhile.

Bruce Feldman added,

Dan WolkenVerified account @DanWolken
Sources: As the last 24 hours have evolved, Greg Schiano has emerged as the focus of Tennessee’s search. Vols have also been engaged with Mullen, who has been trying to wait out Florida.
12:38 PM - 26 Nov 2017


oh boy!



As a buckeye fan, I wouldn’t be all that upset if Schiano left us
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Source tells @juanctoribio and myself #UCF’s Scott Frost was offered and turned down the #Gators job this morning, which is why they pivoted to Dan Mullen.
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Ryan Bass

@Ry_Bass
Source: Dan Mullen’s lawyer is in Mississippi State AD John Cohen’s office currently negotiating his buyout. Mullen to #Gators is happening. Announcement expected today.
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Scott LaPeer
@scottlapeer
From a source in Mississippi: Dan Mullen is in negotiations with MSU re: current contract buyout. Florida ready to make him 2nd highest paid SEC coach at $7M/year plus incentives. Tennessee still trying to make a play for Mullen.
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Before Florida fans say otherwise: the offer was on the table after Chip Kelly decided to head to UCLA. Frost said no.

Florida whiffed
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Mullen? Eh......I guess after Frost and Kelly said no, they had no choice but to go to Tier 2. I think Mullen's an okay coach, but he's not going to get them to championship level.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm

NavyBuc wrote:Mullen? Eh......I guess after Frost and Kelly said no, they had no choice but to go to Tier 2. I think Mullen's an okay coach, but he's not going to get them to championship level.

2nd time Florida had to settle.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2760
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Before Florida fans say otherwise: the offer was on the table after Chip Kelly decided to head to UCLA. Frost said no.

Florida whiffed


If they turned the job down, it's not in Florida. We did what We should have . . Kelly wasn't going to fit, and Frost will want to be in Central Florida... he remembers what Nebraska faithful are like . . He'll regret the move
Image
User avatar
Crocaneers
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am
Location: Gatorland (at least on the weekends )
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:37 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Before Florida fans say otherwise: the offer was on the table after Chip Kelly decided to head to UCLA. Frost said no.

Florida whiffed


If they turned the job down, it's not in Florida. We did what We should have . . Kelly wasn't going to fit, and Frost will want to be in Central Florida... he remembers what Nebraska faithful are like . . He'll regret the move


Question I have with Kelly is were they aggressive enough. UCLA wanted him bad. They put out an full-court press to get him. They sent Troy Aikman to his home and everything. I don't get the sense that the Gators wanted him like UCLA did. They started talking to him a few weeks ago and nothing ever materialized. It seemed like they only wanted him after UCLA fired Mora and they realized they might not get him.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Scott Frost or Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Breaking: Florida is working on finalizing a deal to make Dan Mullen its next head coach. (via @ClowESPN)
2:27 PM - Nov 26, 2017
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Phantom

Kudos for the title changes over the progression of this. It's so refreshing you prevented at least three threads if not more
Image
User avatar
Crocaneers
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am
Location: Gatorland (at least on the weekends )
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Buddy Martin‏ @buddyshow
Done deal! HR hire! Kudos to Stricklin. Be thankful for his good work, bringing back a guy with Gator NC DNA — one of the best QB whisperers in the biz and the guy who was 1A on my original list. Guess Megan has plenty of personal shoppers for Publix. #StayLoyalToTheKingdom
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:47 pm

John Ivory
@Ocala7v7Showdwn
Stricklin hires Mullen as @GatorsFB HC against Boosters recommendations who wanted Taggart. Coaching search firm was recommending Campbell, Norvell, & Candle. UF didn't like Campbell's buyout yet they break the bank on an average HC in Mullen. WTF #Nepotism
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Teitan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Kevin Sumlin out at TA&M. If UCF loses frost, that’s my choice.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Buddy Martin‏ @buddyshow
Done deal! HR hire!


Really? I think it's an okay hire, but wouldn't call it a HR hire. I guess time will tell, but I don't see Mullen as a guy who is going to get Florida back to where Spurrier and Meyer had them. But good luck to him. Talking to a few Gators fans and alum, they're "Eh" on the deal. A lot are upset they didn't go harder after Kelly and Frost or go after Norvell and Campbell.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Teitan wrote:Kevin Sumlin out at TA&M. If UCF loses frost, that’s my choice.


I think he'll stay in the P5.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2760
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Sumlin’s resume really doesn’t look all that great outside of Johnny Manziel. Not sure he will get a P5 job, at least at a good P5 school. My guess is Norvell will go to A&M unless there’s something going on with Jimbo Fisher we don’t know about. Some sources saying it’s a formality that Fisher is going to A&M, but nothing concrete yet.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:07 pm

NavyBuc wrote:Sumlin’s resume really doesn’t look all that great outside of Johnny Manziel. Not sure he will get a P5 job, at least at a good P5 school. My guess is Norvell will go to A&M unless there’s something going on with Jimbo Fisher we don’t know about. Some sources saying it’s a formality that Fisher is going to A&M, but nothing concrete yet.


There's a lot of talk of Sumlin to ASU.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2760
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida?

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Chris Fowler says Frost to Nebraska has been done for a while.

We'll see.
Four Verticals
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:56 pm

I think Mullen is a better hire than Kelly , congrats gator fans - cane fan
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:I think Mullen is a better hire than Kelly , congrats gator fans - cane fan


I think that's a hard sell, but I'm sure I'll hear it from some Florida fans tomorrow. I've never been overly impressed by Mullen as a coach. Outside of 2014, his only 10 win season, he always finished either at .500 or below in the conference. People give him the excuse that "it's hard at Mississippi". He has an impressive QB coaching resume with Alex Smith, Dak, Tebow, and Fitzgerald...maybe that's the allure, but Kelly was pretty dominant at Oregon during his tenure.

We'll see, but from early rumors of Florida getting Kelly and Tennessee getting Gruden, the rest of the conference is happy with the reality being Mullen and Schiano.

edit: I think it's a better hire than McElwain. He was never a big coaching prospect. It was just a terrible year to be looking for a coach.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2760
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Dan Mullen to Florida

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:27 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:I think Mullen is a better hire than Kelly , congrats gator fans - cane fan


I think that's a hard sell, but I'm sure I'll hear it from some Florida fans tomorrow. I've never been overly impressed by Mullen as a coach. Outside of 2014, his only 10 win season, he always finished either at .500 or below in the conference. People give him the excuse that "it's hard at Mississippi". He has an impressive QB coaching resume with Alex Smith, Dak, Tebow, and Fitzgerald...maybe that's the allure, but Kelly was pretty dominant at Oregon during his tenure.

We'll see, but from early rumors of Florida getting Kelly and Tennessee getting Gruden, the rest of the conference is happy with the reality being Mullen and Schiano.

edit: I think it's a better hire than McElwain. He was never a big coaching prospect. It was just a terrible year to be looking for a coach.


For being an offense guy, Mullen has had some really good defensive recruits .
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 22 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], real bucs fan and 7 guests

cron