Dan Mullen to Florida

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Chip Kelly to Florida?

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Sounds like Kelly is more moving west .. Gators would not expand if they had their guy.

Kelly is reportedly interested in both the Gators and UCLA, which fired Jim Mora on Sunday night. Yahoo Sports’ Pat Forde reported that Florida is planning to widen its search past Kelly after meeting with the coach on Sunday night. Per the USA Today report, a “potential sticking point” could be the Bruins’ deal with Under Armour.

Yahoo Sports, on Kelly also turning down Nebraska and Tenn.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-chi ... 47196.html
Crocaneers

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Wednesday, Nov. 22 — Day 24
12:47 p.m.: This was posted earlier Wednesday morning, but we missed it. Chip Kelly’s former boss at Oregon, Mike Bellotti, told ESPN.com that he believes Kelly would ultimately take the Florida job over UCLA for myriad reasons. “People think he’s got the success on the West Coast, but the reality is he’s an East Coast guy,” Bellotti said. “… UCLA is a very good job. I’m not sure I could say it’s a great job.”
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Darren Heitner

@DarrenHeitner
Sources: Chip verbally agreed to Florida before South Carolina game & Florida has been vetting dozens of assistant candidates.

Chip signed an agreement with Florida on Sunday. Agreement includes window for Chip to back out of deal. Hence UCLA talks.

Reporting w/@biggamejames36
10:26 AM - Nov 22, 2017
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 pm

I'd like to see Kelly go to FLorida simply to see how his offense holds up for an entire season in the SEC. Maybe we can finally put that theory to bed one way or the other.
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 pm

It's a speed/spread triple option offense that pretty much everyone runs now. It would work in concept. His recruiting clout is the real consideration.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 pm

When I watched him at Oregon, I always saw his system as different than the system that say Meyer ran at Florida. I thought Meyer was successful at Florida because his system still had quite a bit of old school north and south power to it ... at least more than Kelly's did. Obviously there are similarities to the systems as well.

Same holds true for the other SEC spread systems like aTm...I think that system is considerably different to Kelly's Oregon team.

Anyway, it will be fun watching.

I'd like to see a comparison of the measurables of Kelly's Oregon's lineman and RB's versus Meyer's Florida's.

But I don't care enough about it to dig...something I know that you love...access to internet...a poster making a claim....said poster not researching said claim :)
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Bastard. Something else I love: :birdiedoublegreen:
Kress

Postby GameTime » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 pm

I think it's all smokescreen. Kelly announced to UF next week
GameTime

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 am

Seems like the gator fans have been singing tomorrow with Kelly for a while now.

Chip Kelly will sign tomorrow
Tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there will be a press conference
Tomorrow tomorrow chip Kelly tomorrow, it's always a day away
PanteraCanes

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Report: Florida has 'moved on' from Chip Kelly in its search for a new coach

With Kelly out of the picture, the Gators likely will focus on Central Florida coach Scott Frost.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... cott-frost

Reps for UCF's Scott Frost to meet with Florida about job opening

UF officials preparing to meet with Frost reps this weekend in case CK chooses UCLA
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:29 pm

@RyanYoungSEC: #Gators AD Scott Stricklin declined to comment on Yahoo! report/Chip Kelly matter, but reiterated confidence in where coaching search will lead: "I'm not commenting on any candidate or anything in the process. Process is going good. We're going to end up in a really good spot."
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Florida officials are scheduled to meet with UCF coach Scott Frost's representatives in Orlando this weekend as the Gators are preparing to move on in case former Oregon coach Chip Kelly chooses the UCLA job, sources told ESPN's Mark Schlabach and Edward Aschoff.

Sources said that Kelly has not informed the Gators of a decision, but Florida officials feel their chances of landing the current ESPN analyst have diminished since meeting with him at his home in New Hampshire on Sunday.

Kelly met with UCLA officials in Los Angeles on Tuesday and is expected to make a decision between Florida and UCLA in the coming days.

Frost is also expected to be a candidate at Nebraska, his alma mater, if the Cornhuskers decide to fire Mike Riley. Frost is in his second season at UCF, ranked No. 15 in the most recent College Football Playoff rankings.

Other candidates who might be considered for Florida's opening include Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen, Washington State's Mike Leach and Oregon's Willie Taggart.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../ ... cott-frost

Dana Holgorsen?! LOL
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:46 pm

They can have him.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Scott frost on meeting with him or representatives: I am my representative and I’m spending this weekend with my wife and baby.
Teitan

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 am

Teitan wrote:Scott frost on meeting with him or representatives: I am my representative and I’m spending this weekend with my wife and baby.

And that's the kind of thing a Nebraskan would say :)
MJW

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 am

Nebraska sure hasn't been helping itself giving up a billion points this season.

Maybe Frost has a romantic draw to Lincoln, but that is the only thing in favor of him going there at this point.

But he also might look at this Knights team that has all of the offensive skill guys as underclassmen.

Tre-Quan Smith (leading WR) - JR
Dredrick Snelson (2nd leading WR) - SO
Adrian Killins (leading RB) - SO
Otis Anderson (second RB) - FR
Mackenzie Milton (QB) - SO

And they are loaded with skill young skill guys who are making plays in big games like Gabriel Davis, freshman WR who scored last night. This UCF team has a chance to go 13-0 and win a bowl game against a P5 school, bring basically everyone back and start next season ranked in the top 10 to start the year.
Ken Carson

Postby Teitan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:21 am

Its certainly an attractive spot to stay put.
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 am

Teitan wrote:Its certainly an attractive spot to stay put.

This ... and I think the gators miss out on Kelly and Frost stays where he is .
Jason Bourne

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:50 am

UCF is at their peak. They will never be a contender for the Playoff series. Frost will go to UF. I don't know that a better job opens up for him. Nebraska wouldn't make sense even with Tom Osborne in his ear. He's not getting the players for his offense at Nebraska. Every kid at UCF he has he can get a duplicate of at UF.
Four Verticals

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:57 am

Four Verticals wrote:UCF is at their peak. They will never be a contender for the Playoff series. Frost will go to UF. I don't know that a better job opens up for him. Nebraska wouldn't make sense even with Tom Osborne in his ear. He's not getting the players for his offense at Nebraska. Every kid at UCF he has he can get a duplicate of at UF.

Ken's scenario is realistic. UCF wins their bowl against a P5, goes into the season around 10 and wins out, they have a shot to get in. Any loss basically resets their chances. It's a overly tough road, which is why most think Frost will leave, but who knows? He could be different.
uscbucsfan

Postby Teitan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 am

UCLA hires Chip
Teitan

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:23 am

Four Verticals wrote:Frost will go to UF. I don't know that a better job opens up for him. Nebraska wouldn't make sense even with Tom Osborne in his ear. He's not getting the players for his offense at Nebraska. Every kid at UCF he has he can get a duplicate of at UF.

Word is he's already agreed to a deal with Nebraska. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but there are several reports out there that sources at Nebraska are saying it's a done deal for Frost to Nebraska.

If Florida loses out on Kelly and Frost, that's a big slap in the face. Now you have to go to Tier B of coaches. Talked to a fan at USF about Charlie Strong and he lauged and said "they can have him." If they have to settle for Charlie Strong, WIllie Taggart or Dan Mullen, that smells like more 8-4 seasons to me. I would say Mike Norvell is the most attractive option after Scott Frost and they should focus on him.
NavyBuc

Re: Florida fired McElwain/ Scott Frost to Florida?

Postby Teitan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:25 am

Frost shot down the “Nebraska done deal” rumor himself.
Teitan

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 am

Teitan wrote:Frost shot down the “Nebraska done deal” rumor himself.

Of course he did. Wouldn't expect anything different.
NavyBuc

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 pm

The better job, in Frost's case, is UF whether he went to Nebraska or not. This is from a recruiting angle. You think Frost is getting the Florida/Georgia/Alabama HS recruits to head to Nebraska that would be available to him at UF?

I realize we'll get the "we don't know what motivates some people" angle but the Gator job is the better option. I'm no Gator homer either. In fact, I can't stand any of the big three Florida programs.
Four Verticals

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Teitan wrote:Frost shot down the “Nebraska done deal” rumor himself.

Tom Herman did the same thung about Texas along with hundreds of other examples. I'm not saying it's true, but that's SOP.
uscbucsfan

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:40 pm

NavyBuc wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:Frost will go to UF. I don't know that a better job opens up for him. Nebraska wouldn't make sense even with Tom Osborne in his ear. He's not getting the players for his offense at Nebraska. Every kid at UCF he has he can get a duplicate of at UF.

Word is he's already agreed to a deal with Nebraska. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but there are several reports out there that sources at Nebraska are saying it's a done deal for Frost to Nebraska.

If Florida loses out on Kelly and Frost, that's a big slap in the face. Now you have to go to Tier B of coaches. Talked to a fan at USF about Charlie Strong and he lauged and said "they can have him." If they have to settle for Charlie Strong, WIllie Taggart or Dan Mullen, that smells like more 8-4 seasons to me. I would say Mike Norvell is the most attractive option after Scott Frost and they should focus on him.

Every report on Frost to Nebraska starts with one guy, Lars Anderson. He is the only person claiming to have a source on the deal, and everyone else is quoting him. Could easily be a guy in the Nebraska athletic department feeding him **** to keep Florida/Tennessee/UCLA off Frost.
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Four Verticals wrote:UCF is at their peak. They will never be a contender for the Playoff series. Frost will go to UF. I don't know that a better job opens up for him. Nebraska wouldn't make sense even with Tom Osborne in his ear. He's not getting the players for his offense at Nebraska. Every kid at UCF he has he can get a duplicate of at UF.

If Frost stays at UCF, he could turn it into the next big time college program. He's turned a winless team into an undefeated offensive machine in two seasons usin underlassmen. Should he stay, this is probably the 3rd best UCF team he will field over the next three seasons. Like I mentioned above, their top 5 offensive skill guys are underclassmen, and 4 of those guys are sophomores or freshmen.
Ken Carson

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk