Best Team in Florida

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Best Team in Florida

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 am

uscbucsfan wrote:It's partially UCF's fault. Their demand for a home and home trade is a bit ridiculous. As a non power 5 team they should accept road games from larger conference schools without any stipulations.

I don't think all of this will matter in the next 2-3 years. I think UCF and possibly USF will be adsorbed by a P5 conference and there will be a separation of P5 and non-P5 as far as bowls.
'

I always laugh when I hear the mid-majors complaining they can't schedule anyone when they insist on home vs home. Why in the world would a large top 25 school agree to forgo a much bigger paycheck by agreeing to do something that gives them no benefit whatsoever? If USF or UCF wants to get the big boys to come to their home stadiums they have to provide a financial incentive to do so.

For example, this year OSU's away OOC game will be against TCU in Cowboy stadium. TCU has to do this instead of playing in Fort Worth simply to be able to pay OSU enough money - the gate revenues will be 3x as much as they would be at Amon Carter stadium. This way OSU can generate as much money as they did when they traveled to Texas, Oklahoma or USC recently. Would UCF or USF be able to do something like this with one of the NFL stadiums in Florida?
Zarniwoop

Postby Konatown » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:27 am

Why is a home/home trade ridiculous? I could understand if we were a smaller school, but please elaborate.

Edit: Zarni explained and makes sense to a degree. Camping world stadium is in Orlando where Bama and Louisville just played. Teams travel well to Orlando, I’d imagine a big school could get a good crowd.
Last edited by Konatown on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konatown

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:29 am

Konatown wrote:Why is a home/home trade ridiculous? I could understand if we were a smaller school, but please elaborate.

Because the home team has to pay the visiting team. They do this partially through gate revenue. Big schools won't make as much money if they go to USF or UCF then they will if they go to USC or PSU or OSU.

TCU is paying Ohio State $5M to play them in Arlington...can UCF do that for other big schools? If they can, I'm sure schools would come. Schools love money more than just about anything else.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/osu-tcu-pay-day/

(edit -- well technically Cowboys stadium is paying OSU)
Zarniwoop

Postby Konatown » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 am

Looks like Stanford is playing at UCF next year, we got one!
Konatown

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:08 am

Konatown wrote:That’s a fair argument, and I agree. It’s too bad though, playoff system should be top 6-8 which would give teams like UCF a chance each year to go up against the big boys. And like last year when given the chance (against Auburn) they may surprise.

If UCF isn’t playing top teams they shouldn’t even be in an 8 team playoff. Otherwise what’s the point of scheduling ANY top level competition?
PrimeMinister

Postby Konatown » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:52 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Konatown wrote:That’s a fair argument, and I agree. It’s too bad though, playoff system should be top 6-8 which would give teams like UCF a chance each year to go up against the big boys. And like last year when given the chance (against Auburn) they may surprise.

If UCF isn’t playing top teams they shouldn’t even be in an 8 team playoff. Otherwise what’s the point of scheduling ANY top level competition?

Do you think UCF was a top 8 team last year?
Konatown

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:53 am

Kress wrote:To be fair, you can't beat ranked teams unless you play ranked teams.

And you can't play ranked teams if they won't agree to play you. UCF's & USF's Catch-22.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Kress » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:53 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Well it's not like they can pick and choose that much. If you're in a P5, you are going to have to play to win your division, so odds are that you're going to stumble your way into a ranked game or two along the way even if you do nothing else. Annually, some of your teams will also get the automatic benefit of the opening weekend neutral field feature games, like the ACC/SEC Chick-Fil-A Kickoff game that almost guarantees a head-to-head ranked team matchup.

Just being around other Power 5 teams gets you automatic signature games. UCF doesn't have that luxury. It's almost like the old "you need money to make money" problem for them.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Kress wrote:To be fair, you can't beat ranked teams unless you play ranked teams.

And you can't play ranked teams if they won't agree to play you. UCF's & USF's Catch-22.

Again, I think this comes down to what they offer other schools. If the financial incentive is there some big boys will play them

We also have to remember as someone pointed out, the best non P5 schools aren’t that consistent from year to year. So if someone agrees to a game against the trendy non P5 school now, in 5 years when the game happens that school might suck ... which again hirtsvthe revenue of the big school
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:31 pm

USF over GT 49-38 on national TV. Down 10 with about 12 minutes to play, the Bulls scored 21 unanswered points.

While not an upset, I didn’t want to start a new thread with the lack of Bulls fans here.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Until they fix this stupid ranking system it won't matter. Put a 13-0 small school into the playoffs over a 12-1 big school and watch how big schools start scheduling with small schools after that.
Doctor

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Doctor wrote:Until they fix this stupid ranking system it won't matter. Put a 13-0 small school into the playoffs over a 12-1 big school and watch how big schools start scheduling with small schools after that.

That'll never happen, but it doesn't mean I can't still be a fan and gloat when they post up a big win. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby doooshnzl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Buc2 wrote:USF over GT 49-38 on national TV. Down 10 with about 12 minutes to play, the Bulls scored 21 unanswered points.

While not an upset, I didn’t want to start a new thread with the lack of Bulls fans here.

Glad USF won this one, they are certainly in the conversation. There were times in this game where they were getting KILLED but GT’s option game. Thankfully, they don’t see this kind of offense much.....
doooshnzl

Postby Super K » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Samford giving my Noles all they can handle right now...maybe more...

Holy ****ing ****....
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Super K wrote:Samford giving my Noles all they can handle right now...maybe more...

Holy ****ing ****....

It's early, but FSU should never be down 0-13 to a school like Samford.

Taggart era off to a rocky start
DreadNaught

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:35 pm

No way FSU can lose this game. It would be so humiliating.
NavyBuc

Postby Native Son » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Gators having at it with UK...
Not too good so far.
Native Son

Postby StillCSG » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Samford is going to win this damn game...

A mediocre HS offense would put up 30 on this shitshow of a defense. JFC
StillCSG

Postby Teitan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:44 pm

UCF extends the nations longest win streak. Milton looked bad in the first half and the play calling was not very creative. Defense came through.
Teitan

Postby EatingWinston » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:39 pm

What a weird year for Florida football teams
EatingWinston

Postby Super K » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:50 pm

StillCSG wrote:Samford is going to win this damn game...

A mediocre HS offense would put up 30 on this shitshow of a defense. JFC

Agreed...

Good to see you back btw...
Super K

Postby StillCSG » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:36 pm

I love the Noles...

But these motherfuckers at Doak need to CALM THE **** DOWN...Acting like we just won the Championship....

A come from behind win against SAMFORD shouldn't be cheered in the least...
StillCSG

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:47 am

Quality Loss for Samford.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:13 am

I thought Florida-Florida State was bad last year? This year may take the cake.

UCF-USF, on the other hand, should be a dandy again.
NavyBuc

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Agreed, which was the point and why I posted the original question if UCF plays any ranked teams this year.

Not trying to blame UCF for their schedule, it is what it is. But you can't blame anyone else either since other teams manage to schedule ranked teams. I realize schedules are done years in advance, but at the same time you can't beat a bunch of unranked teams and try to convince people you're a top program. That's not how sports works imo.

No team should be ranked before the 5th week. How great does that win against “ranked” FSU look after this week? Really dumb to put any stock in ranked status two weeks in.
Ken Carson

Postby Rocker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Agreed, which was the point and why I posted the original question if UCF plays any ranked teams this year.

Not trying to blame UCF for their schedule, it is what it is. But you can't blame anyone else either since other teams manage to schedule ranked teams. I realize schedules are done years in advance, but at the same time you can't beat a bunch of unranked teams and try to convince people you're a top program. That's not how sports works imo.

No team should be ranked before the 5th week. How great does that win against “ranked” FSU look after this week? Really dumb to put any stock in ranked status two weeks in.

+1
Rocker

Postby Konatown » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:48 am

UCF @ UNC has been canceled, not likely to be rescheduled as there not another open date for it. Shame to happen two years in a row against a P5 opponent, but some things are bigger than football. Hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe.
Konatown

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 am

Konatown wrote:UCF @ UNC has been canceled, not likely to be rescheduled as there not another open date for it. Shame to happen two years in a row against a P5 opponent, but some things are bigger than football. Hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe.

UNC wouldn't have helped their SOS anyway. They are pretty bad this year.
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:29 am

I'll show myself out
Crocaneers

Postby Teitan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:39 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Konatown wrote:UCF @ UNC has been canceled, not likely to be rescheduled as there not another open date for it. Shame to happen two years in a row against a P5 opponent, but some things are bigger than football. Hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe.

UNC wouldn't have helped their SOS anyway. They are pretty bad this year.

I haven’t heard anything about rescheduling something other than Nebraska having the same bye week and needing a game also.
Teitan

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk