Best Team in Florida

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Best Team in Florida

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 am

As an outsider I’ve thought very little of Miami recently. They have had the same trouble UF is having....they haven’t gotten better than mediocre QB play. They haven’t won 10 games since 2003. And 10 wins isn’t even that great

UF hasn’t been anything the last 6 or 7 years

Only FSU has had national stage implications
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am

The most recent New Year's 6 bowl appearance by a non-FSU Florida team was....

UCF in the 2014 Fiesta Bowl.

Gators last in 2013. As mentioned, Hurricanes have not been to one since 2004. Alpha is reliving the 1990s in his own little world.
Ken Carson

Postby Kress » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:14 pm

W LSU
W Ohio State
W Oklahoma
W Oklahoma
L Alabama
W Ohio State
W Oklahoma
W Alabama

Just saying because I can right now.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:And 10 wins isn’t even that great

LOL! Since WHEN? You're also suffering from Richtitis. This is what college football has become nowadays. 10 wins is "no big deal". If you aren't in the final 4, you suck.

Here's the big difference between Miami and UF:

Miami has a coach with a proven track record of recruiting AND winning.

Look at the results (at both), since Richt came aboard. Remember...this is Richt's SECOND season at the U. And I watched him for YEARS at UGA. In 2 years, Miami has a top 5(3) recruiting class and is on track to win 10 games. Are they a "great" team? No. They find ways to win. Ask Penn St. about that. What Miami has is a FUTURE. Culture doesn't change over night. Look at UGA or Bama or Clemson or FSU. It takes a few years to get things rolling. Once the culture is established, you start seeing top 10 recruiting classes year after year. Does that GUARANTEE success? No....but it ****ing helps.

Miami has had garbage coaching staffs' for YEARS. Starting with a high school coach (Coker) to a first-timer (Shannon) to a guy who has never had a contender (Golden). Richt is about to win 10 games with guys he didn't even recruit! Just as he did at UGA.

Florida needs to make a good hire after they fire MaC. They are in serious jeopardy of becoming an also-ran for many years to come, if they don't.
Alpha

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:36 pm

My bad, maybe for Miami 10 wins is a great season

Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:My bad, maybe for Miami 10 wins is a great season

Lol

I suppose...unless you're a "new" 'Bama or Clemson "fan".

Wow. Seriously? 10 wins is a "meh" season?

I can reel off about 150 schools that would KILL for a SINGLE 10 win season...much less consecutive.

Who's you're team? I'm pretty sure I could let you know when they sucked...
Alpha

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Yes. My team like all teams have had periods of suck. But I still don’t call 10 wins great. It’s the very bottom of what is acceptable. I have much higher standards for ““great” than 10

But again, I forgot we were talking about Miami. Given the last 10+ years I can see that fan base getting upset by someone saying 10 wins isn’t great.

The biggest irony in all of this is that high standard you were holding UCF and USF too earlier but are now suggesting people who hold the big boys to high standards are wrong.

There are at least 10 fan bases who would not say 10 wins is great. It’s ok you guys aren’t one of them
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Alpha wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:My bad, maybe for Miami 10 wins is a great season

Lol

I suppose...unless you're a "new" 'Bama or Clemson "fan"..

Off topic, but I found it funny. Guy asked me if I was a new Clemson fan.

The hat I was wearing was older than he was.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Yes. My team like all teams have had periods of suck. But I still don’t call 10 wins great. It’s the very bottom of what is acceptable. I have much higher standards for ““great” than 10

But again, I forgot we were talking about Miami. Given the last 10+ years I can see that fan base getting upset by someone saying 10 wins isn’t great.

The biggest irony in all of this is that high standard you were holding UCF and USF too earlier but are now suggesting people who hold the big boys to high standards are wrong.

There are at least 10 fan bases who would not say 10 wins is great. It’s ok you guys aren’t one of them

Holy ****...you're serious. LMFAO! I thought you were jerking your Uncle Alpha's chain.

Ok, dummy...unless your name is the University of Alabama, NO SCHOOL has won more national titles than Miami in the last...40 or so years. That's 40, sweetheart. As in (most likely), longer than you've been alive.

10 wins, in a major conference, puts you in the national title discussion. So yeah...10 wins is kind of a "big deal". Ask LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State, Florida, USC, FSU...the list goes on...

EVERY program has their bumps in the road. Even Alabama. You might not remember...but I do.

Apparently, your "higher standard" for "great" is a national title. Anything less is "underachieving", I suppose? Admirable, I guess...but unrealistic.

Again...there are 150+ schools that would DIE for a 10 win season. Even ONE. And hat's your "very bottom".

You are a goddam retard. LMAO!
Alpha

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Lol

Putting it in the 2nd grade “I just learned to swear” vernacular that you seem to like

Name me one ****ing time 10 wins has put someone in the national title picture....certainly not in this new era of college football.

You just said that ... so give me one ****ing example....I’ll wait

Them show me where I said a team has to win a national title to be great. I’ll wait for that too

Little man....you’re in over your head....swim back to shore or get your arm floaties

Lol.

You’re ridiculous
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Alabama
Clemson
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Oklahoma

Just off the top of my head have had at least 5 11 Win seasons in the last 10 years.

They all win 10+ 80% of the time

So yeah, I don’t think those fanbases consider 10 wins great.

15 P5 teams won 10 games last year...they were hardly all great. Let me guess....you’re one of those participation trophy guys too

But again, if you think 10 is great...good for you...I’ll bet Purdue and Vandy fans do too!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Alabama
Clemson
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Oklahoma

They all win 10+ 80% of the time

Is that so? LOL! You must be a child. What...is your history 10 years old? I remember the 80's...when Clemson sucked balls. What was Ohio State after sweater-vest left? Oklahoma between Switzer and Stoops?

If that's the case, then you're absolutely right. Alabama is the best team ever. Nebraska has always sucked. USC got lucky once.

GTFOutta here with your foolishness. Dumb ass.
Alpha

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Yes, when teams played 11 game seasons then 10 wins was great.

Is it hard to put stuff in context? Maybe for you it is.

Good teams play 14 games now

So Colorado won 10 games last year...were they great?

Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:10 pm

And nice job purposely deleting my line in the quote about the last 10 years so you can try to talk about the 80s

Interesting how the stuff immediately before and immediately after stayed.

Then you give examples of Clemson in the 80s.

Lololololol
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:11 pm

Again, don’t get riled up. If you think 10 wins is great. Good for you. Indiana and Kentucky do too!!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Good teams play 14 games now

No dummy.

Teams play 12. 13 if they make their conference title game. So yeah...10 wins is a helluva year. Unless you think 10-2 is a shitty year...in which case, you've never played a team sport before. That's cool though, I suppose the team band was more your speed.

You're a dumbass kid that has no idea what he's talking about.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Again, don’t get riled up. If you think 10 wins is great. Good for you. Indiana and Kentucky do too!!!!

And when Indiana and Kentucky win 10 games, those kids will go bat-shit crazy because that hasn't happened in their grand-parents lifetime. For the vast majority of schools, 8 wins is a ****ing MIRACLE.

Listen...I know you're an Alabama fan now...because they're winning. And going 10-2 is a "terrible" season...but when your other nut drops, you'll realize that a 10 win season is one helluva accomplishment.
Alpha

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:08 am

10 win seasons since 2004:

Miami: 0
USF: 1
UCF: 4
UF: 5
FSU: 6
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 am

Alpha wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Good teams play 14 games now

No dummy.

Teams play 12. 13 if they make their conference title game. So yeah...10 wins is a helluva year. Unless you think 10-2 is a shitty year...in which case, you've never played a team sport before. That's cool though, I suppose the team band was more your speed.

You're a dumbass kid that has no idea what he's talking about.

You change the goalposts so much during a discussion it’s laughable.

I never said 10 wins was shitty. I said it wasn’t great. there is room between not great and shitty

And good teams do play 14 games idiot...12 plus CC plus bowl.

Most teams play 13 and if you think 10-3 is a Great season knock yourself out. Then you will have to say 15 P5 teams last year had great season. That’s 3 per conference. 3 teams in every conference were great then yeah? Lol

Again, I think it’s fantastic that you’re a participation trophy type of guy that thinks 10 wins is great. I’m sure the Eastern Michigan and Idaho fan bases do too!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 am

Clemson was actually pretty damned good in the 80s. Just saying.

Oh, and I keep posting in this thread because every time that Clemson enters the state they are the "best team in Florida." :buttred:
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 am

Also, wins can be misleading. We had 3 straight 11 win seasons 2011-2013 and none of those years would have made the playoffs if it existed. We were really really good, great for us, but not great on the national stage. I guess it's subjective as to what is "great", but I would agree that 10 wins is not that. 10 wins got Richt fired from UGA.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:38 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Also, wins can be misleading. We had 3 straight 11 win seasons 2011-2013 and none of those years would have made the playoffs if it existed. We were really really good, great for us, but not great on the national stage. I guess it's subjective as to what is "great", but I would agree that 10 wins is not that. 10 wins got Richt fired from UGA.

This is my point. For the traditional powerhouses 10 wins isn’t great. When OSU goes 10-3 or 10-4 I don’t sit back at the end of the season and say that was great. I say meh, Ok... I hope next year is better.

For a team like Miss State or Purdue then yes 10 wins is great. And nothing should be taken away from them in the rare occasions they get there given their limited budgets, lack of stellar recruiting, etc. they should throw parties at 10 wins

I hope for the Hurricane program the rest of their fan base doesn’t think like Alpha. Or maybe they have simply fallen faster and deeper then I like to believe. And they now call 10 wins greatness. I’m guessing if Jimmi Johnson was coaching now he wouldn’t say 10 wins is great. And just like Richt getting fired for averaging 10 wins, Coker did too if I recall
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:42 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Also, wins can be misleading. We had 3 straight 11 win seasons 2011-2013 and none of those years would have made the playoffs if it existed. We were really really good, great for us, but not great on the national stage. I guess it's subjective as to what is "great", but I would agree that 10 wins is not that. 10 wins got Richt fired from UGA.

This is my point. For the traditional powerhouses 10 wins isn’t great. When OSU goes 10-3 or 10-4 I don’t sit back at the end of the season and say that was great. I say meh, Ok... I hope next year is better.

For a team like Miss State or Purdue then yes 10 wins is great. And nothing should be taken away from them in the rare occasions they get there given their limited budgets, lack of stellar recruiting, etc. they should throw parties at 10 wins

I hope for the Hurricane program the rest of their fan base doesn’t think like Alpha. Or maybe they have simply fallen faster and deeper then I like to believe. And they now call 10 wins greatness. I’m guessing if Jimmi Johnson was coaching now he wouldn’t say 10 wins is great. And just like Richt getting fired for averaging 10 wins, Coker did too if I recall

We gave out rings for three consecutive 11 win seasons. I mean I get it and I was really happy, but different standards for different programs.
uscbucsfan

Postby PanteraCanes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I hope for the Hurricane program the rest of their fan base doesn’t think like Alpha. Or maybe they have simply fallen faster and deeper then I like to believe. And they now call 10 wins greatness. I’m guessing if Jimmi Johnson was coaching now he wouldn’t say 10 wins is great. And just like Richt getting fired for averaging 10 wins, Coker did too if I recall

For me its pretty much Championship consideration or bust. Really I prefer getting the Championship but I have also been spoiled by a few of the teams I pull for. Especially around the same time with the Bucs, spurs, and Hurricanes.

There are steps to getting back to where we were and should be. We had 3 horrible coaches with each one somehow being worst than the one before. We have still been churning out NFL talent despite these coaches. There are several UM players who were ruined by Golden who really hate him. Anthony Chickillo really hates him because Golden basically ruined his college career and his draft status by having him put on a lot of bad weight to fit the "system" instead of adjusting the "system" to the rich talent pool available. From my understanding every single one of the old greats prior to Golden really hate Golden and what he did to the program and that he was basically a used car salesman. They hated him from very early on in his time there.

Coker basically road the coat tails of the greatest college football team ever. After they graduated he fell from grace, then after he left the school I believe he fell from grace. The only reason Coker was the coach to start with was because the players threatened to transfer if they got anybody else because the players were worried about someone coming in and not letting them do what they wanted to do on the field. With Coker they knew he would just stand there and let the players run the show on the field. For that team full of NFL hall of famers and pro bowlers that is great. For any other team that is not going to hold up. Sapp even made fun of Coker on TV when McCoy came into the league and told Sapp on TV that he would of gont to UM and told Coker if he could meet Sapp but Coker didn't make it happen nor try.

I do find it interesting that people just want to crown USF and UCF and toss aside Miami in this conversation. I know Miami is winning ugly but they are still winning and against better teams. Didn't USF just lose? Even with that people on here are probably still chanting USF being better than Miami. I will take ugly wins over pretty losses every day. I realize the audience on this board is basically full of people living around Tampa and Orlando so its going to get that bias.

We do have some young crazy fans though who just look at the results from all those great teams and think the media loves us because of several ESPN 30 for 30 pieces. They didn't live through those times where the media and everyone else would of really liked anybody else over UM. There was even big arguments over who to pull for in FSU or Alabama. There are still several who can't wrap their head around that if FSU beat Alabama and we beat FSU we would be ranked higher and have a better chance at the playoffs. Heck, some can't even wrap their head around that we could beat FSU if they beat Alabama. They think that if we win out or just have one loss that the voters are just going to be tripping over themselves to vote us into the top 4 to get a playoff spot.

I really do hope that UCF joins the cream of the crop and also that they keep Frost by the way.
PanteraCanes

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 am

This year's Miami team reminds me of the Ohio State that (ironically) beat Miami for the NC. Bunch of close wins against inferior competition, and at the end of the season they were ranked number 2 simply because everyone else lost. I'm not taking away from what they are doing (winning ugly). But they are a year away from being a year away, while everything has clicked for the Knights.
Ken Carson

Postby PanteraCanes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Ken Carson wrote:This year's Miami team reminds me of the Ohio State that (ironically) beat Miami for the NC. Bunch of close wins against inferior competition, and at the end of the season they were ranked number 2 simply because everyone else lost. I'm not taking away from what they are doing (winning ugly). But they are a year away from being a year away, while everything has clicked for the Knights.

I have seen this comparison before.

Right now we just need to get healthy and stay healthy. Several big starts have been hurt and not playing. Also hoping our freshman QB becomes who people hope he can become. On a positive side a lot of the key players are young so will be back next year and possibly the year after. Biggest loss will be our TE leaving and possibly one or two DTs might leave early for the draft.
PanteraCanes

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 am

Can UCF handle Courtland Sutton and the SMU Mustangs?
mdb1958

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:17 pm

MOLON LABE
EastBayBucsFan

Postby BucaRican » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Can UCF handle Courtland Sutton and the SMU Mustangs?

Yes an another blow out. Those canceled games at the start of the season will kill any UCF chance of sniffing top 10. Can't believe they just didn't move them to another venue.
BucaRican

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 pm

BucaRican wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Can UCF handle Courtland Sutton and the SMU Mustangs?

Yes an another blow out. Those canceled games at the start of the season will kill any UCF chance of sniffing top 10. Can't believe they just didn't move them to another venue.

That game against Ga. Tech specifically. A blow out win against a Big 5 conference team, would've done them a world of good.

USF fell into the "this is what happens to USF/UCF" category...and why these teams MUST get into a Big 5 conference before they will be serious "contenders". They have that one, bad game, against an inferior conference opponent.

Even an undefeated UCF will lose out to multiple 1 loss "major conference" schools...because they play in a crap, bush-league conference. And then they'll **** the bed against some mid-level school from said crap conference. Just like USF. Hell...the height of irony would be to see an undefeated UCF lose to USF in their conference championship.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk