Best Team in Florida

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Best Team in Florida

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 am

Is it USF or UCF? Discuss.
Ken Carson

Re: Best Team in Florida

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 am

As much as it pains me .. the best team in Florida right now is Miami .. give it to Mark Richt, he has a team that could wreck havoc again

If your question was who is better USF or UCF .. Charlie Strong (USF) has the better team . it would be good to see them on the field at the same time .. it could settle a lot more

So . . to rank the key Florida teams:

Miami
    USF
    UCF
    Florida State
    Florida
Last edited by Crocaneers on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crocaneers

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:32 am

Crocaneers wrote:If your question was who is better USF or UCF .. Charlie Strong (USF) has the better team . it would be good to see them on the field at the same time .. it could settle a lot more

You'll get your wish November 24th.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am

Butch is coaching FIU. Mark Richt is coaching the U.

But I don't know if you've paid bough attention to UCF/USF if you think Miami is a better team so easily. UCF is averaging 50.6 points per game, and haven't won by fewer than 4 TDs. USF has been almost equally as prolific. Miami is a pair of ridiculous Langham catches away from being 3-2 against competition that sounds better than I really is.

As backwards as it sounds, it really is which is the best between USF and UCF.
Ken Carson

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Ken Carson wrote:Butch is coaching FIU. Mark Richt is coaching the U.

But I don't know if you've paid bough attention to UCF/USF if you think Miami is a better team so easily. UCF is averaging 50.6 points per game, and haven't won by fewer than 4 TDs. USF has been almost equally as prolific. Miami is a pair of ridiculous Langham catches away from being 3-2 against competition that sounds better than I really is.

So you're basing your argument on strength of schedule?

Umm...I guess you haven't see the powerhouses that USF/UCF have played.

The proof is in the pudding. UCF/USF face off soon.

Miami still plays Va Tech and Notre Dame. 2 legit top 25 teams.
Alpha

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Alpha wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Butch is coaching FIU. Mark Richt is coaching the U.

No, I didn't argue strength of schedule. I argued that Miami's last two wins were close games against average at best teams. And that USF and UCF have been steamrolling everyone.
Ken Carson

Postby Konatown » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Happy to see my Knights playing so well. I expected we would improve off last year but Frost has these young men firing on all cylinders. Gonna be a great game when USF comes over to UCF.

Sadly I see a power 5 team offering Frost a good gig (more than likely Nebraska). The proof was in the pudding when he came here in the first place.
Konatown

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Konatown wrote:Happy to see my Knights playing so well. I expected we would improve off last year but Frost has these young men firing on all cylinders. Gonna be a great game when USF comes over to UCF.

Sadly I see a power 5 team offering Frost a good gig (more than likely Nebraska). The proof was in the pudding when he came here in the first place.

He could jump early to a mid-level Power 5. Or he might stick around to see if one of the premium jobs opens up. Nebraska/Tennessee now, or a top line program down the road?
Ken Carson

Postby MJW » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Konatown wrote:Happy to see my Knights playing so well. I expected we would improve off last year but Frost has these young men firing on all cylinders. Gonna be a great game when USF comes over to UCF.

He could jump early to a mid-level Power 5. Or he might stick around to see if one of the premium jobs opens up. Nebraska/Tennessee now, or a top line program down the road?

We better be poaching THE HELL out of Scott Frost the day after we lose the the 9th best SEC team in the "Who Gives A ****" Dot Com Bowl.
MJW

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm

MJW wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:He could jump early to a mid-level Power 5. Or he might stick around to see if one of the premium jobs opens up. Nebraska/Tennessee now, or a top line program down the road?

We better be poaching THE HELL out of Scott Frost the day after we lose the the 9th best SEC team in the "Who Gives A ****" Dot Com Bowl.

What do you think of Mike Leach?
Phantom Phenom

Postby MJW » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:
MJW wrote:

It's...being discussed around Huskerland, for obvious reasons.

I think the Big Ten would grind his goofball spread attack into dust, personally. Though I do like the guy as a coach. It would just be a bad fit IMHO.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Alpha wrote:

No, I didn't argue strength of schedule. I argued that Miami's last two wins were close games against average at best teams. And that USF and UCF have been steamrolling everyone.

You're de facto arguing strength of schedule, numbnuts.

And I would argue that even THIS YEAR's FSU would beat UCF...and most likely USF. USF's offense is legit. No doubt. Their defense...even against the cupcakes they've played, flat-out sucks balls. The one decent part of FSU is their defense.

UCF has a nice win against Memphis. MEMPHIS is the defining win for UCF. MEMPHIS. :roll: Now...if their game against Ga. Tech hadn't been cancelled, there would be a definitive argument either way. Sucks for UCF. That game was their chance to actually prove something.

Let's just see how it plays out. USF has ZERO chance of getting into the playoffs...even undefeated.

The AAC is killing any chance of either team doing anything. They both need out. Even the Mountain West or some other mid-major conference would be an upgrade. There are few "Big 5" teams (other than Miami) who will play @UCF or USF.

By the end of the year, Miami will have by far played the toughest schedule...and it isn't even close.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:28 pm

MJW wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:

I think the Big Ten would grind his goofball spread attack into dust, personally. Though I do like the guy as a coach. It would just be a bad fit IMHO.

I agree 100%.

If they don't hire Frost, I'd revolt.

Frost is an "inspired" hire. Something to shed the national perception that Nebraska is stuck in the past. Living on reputation as opposed to actual on field production. You might disagree but take my word for it...in the south...that is the perception. Nebraska is an afterthought. At best.

Frost has taken a TERRIBLE UCF program and turned them into a "top 20" program very quickly. He's young. He has Nebraska roots. It's probably his dream job. Most importantly...he has experience recruiting in Florida. He's a somewhat known commodity in this state. And being able to recruit Florida would help Nebraska tremendously. I grew up here with Tommie Frazier...I played against his high school (Bradenton Manatee) but was a few years ahead of him. Getting a real foothold in this state would do wonders for UN. Ask Ohio State.

Here's the only thing prohibiting a Frost hire:

UCF is one of the largest Universities in the country (believe it or not). IF they commit to their program fully, they could afford to pay Frost the 3-5 mil/year an established university will pay him. If it's all about the money...UCF has a shot at keeping him.

That said...if Nebraska makes him a somewhat competitive offer, he'll go.

Y'all need him. BADLY.

IF Nebraska were still in the Big 12, I'd still hate it but I could justify a Leach hire. Jesus...if Nebraska goes with him over Frost, I'd be ****ing LIVID, if I were a 'Husker supporter.
Alpha

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:05 am

FWIW, UCF has gone to bowl games 7 of 9 years. Now, with Bowl eligibility being what it is, that's not overly impressive, but the team was marginally respectable under O'Leary, kinda like USF was under Levitt.

And I don't disagree that the schedules for USF and UCF have been weaker, but they are also annihilating the competition. Again, UCF's average margin of victory is like 30 points, including Memphis. USF is getting up by so much that cosmetic TDs at the end make their D look worse on paper.

I would bet UCF/USF would be favored in a game this weekend against FSU, with the caveat being that Vegas may take into account the public money period to setting the line.
Ken Carson

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:09 am

Ken Carson wrote:FWIW, UCF has gone to bowl games 7 of 9 years. Now, with Bowl eligibility being what it is, that's not overly impressive, but the team was marginally respectable under O'Leary, kinda like USF was under Levitt.

And I don't disagree that the schedules for USF and UCF have been weaker, but they are also annihilating the competition. Again, UCF's average margin of victory is like 30 points, including Memphis. USF is getting up by so much that cosmetic TDs at the end make their D look worse on paper.

I would bet UCF/USF would be favored in a game this weekend against FSU, with the caveat being that Vegas may take into account the public money period to setting the line.

They could both win (and very well could beat Florida as well), but neither would be Vegas favorites (at least initially).
Crocaneers

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 am

Hate on USF all you want, but I'm glad somebody likes them. Saturday's game vs Tulane will be on ESPN2. This will be the 3rd nationally televised USF game this season. Living in Virginia, I rarely get to watch their games, so I'm loving this. :D

Alpha is right about one thing, though. If this team can't get the hell out of the AAC, this is the best it's gonna get for them.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Teitan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 am

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:

I agree 100%.

If they don't hire Frost, I'd revolt.

Frost is an "inspired" hire. Something to shed the national perception that Nebraska is stuck in the past. Living on reputation as opposed to actual on field production. You might disagree but take my word for it...in the south...that is the perception. Nebraska is an afterthought. At best.

Frost has taken a TERRIBLE UCF program and turned them into a "top 20" program very quickly. He's young. He has Nebraska roots. It's probably his dream job. Most importantly...he has experience recruiting in Florida. He's a somewhat known commodity in this state. And being able to recruit Florida would help Nebraska tremendously. I grew up here with Tommie Frazier...I played against his high school (Bradenton Manatee) but was a few years ahead of him. Getting a real foothold in this state would do wonders for UN. Ask Ohio State.

Here's the only thing prohibiting a Frost hire:

UCF is one of the largest Universities in the country (believe it or not). IF they commit to their program fully, they could afford to pay Frost the 3-5 mil/year an established university will pay him. If it's all about the money...UCF has a shot at keeping him.

That said...if Nebraska makes him a somewhat competitive offer, he'll go.

Y'all need him. BADLY.

IF Nebraska were still in the Big 12, I'd still hate it but I could justify a Leach hire. Jesus...if Nebraska goes with him over Frost, I'd be ****ing LIVID, if I were a 'Husker supporter.

UCF ha to keep frost. No matter the cost. He's said he's committed and not going anywhere.. but we all know how that goes.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 am

MJW wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:

That goofball spread stuff is already dominating the B1G. What do you think Urban Meyer has run since his Bowling Green days?

Frost also runs the spread.

I'm not saying Nebraska should or shouldn't hire Leach, I couldn't care less tbh. But not doing so based on his offense is not a point I agree with. The guy has turned irrelevant/doormat programs in both the Big12 and Pac12/14 (TTU & WashST) into respectable and competitive teams and his goofball offense is why. It's an offense that we see similar concepts all over college football including many perennial top 10 teams.
DreadNaught

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 am

Crocaneers wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:FWIW, UCF has gone to bowl games 7 of 9 years. Now, with Bowl eligibility being what it is, that's not overly impressive, but the team was marginally respectable under O'Leary, kinda like USF was under Levitt.

They could both win (and very well could beat Florida as well), but neither would be Vegas favorites (at least initially).

I don't disagree. I said as much above, noting Vegas would likely anticipate John Q. Public betting the Noles if they were an underdog. But I'd strongly suspect that a majority of experts would pick either team over FSU straight up right now. They have a high school QB who clearly isn't ready.
Ken Carson

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

I don't disagree. I said as much above, noting Vegas would likely anticipate John Q. Public betting the Noles if they were an underdog. But I'd strongly suspect that a majority of experts would pick either team over FSU straight up right now. They have a high school QB who clearly isn't ready.

FSU would be favored in both games. The USF spread would be small.

That said...even THIS YEAR'S FSU would out-athlete both teams.

I guess my point is that even this middling FSU team would most likely defeat USF/UCF. And that tells you where USF/UCF are.

And there is no hate in this statement. I actually like BOTH programs (especially USF). It is what it is. Those schools get the "left-overs" or kids who can't qualify at the "Big 3" FL schools. Sure...they'll find a stud every now and again because...Florida.

UCF/USF are schools that will step up every 3-4 years...as their classes become upper-classmen. Next year, Flowers graduates. They will go back to fighting it out with the AAC middling teams.

There is NO argument for USF (or God forbid UCF) qualifying for the final 4. Even undefeated.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 am

There is no reason that UCF can't step up and become a power house program in Florida. As you said, they are the largest university in the country. With good coaching and recruiting they could absolutely get into the conversation with the "big" Florida schools. They have the coach, they need to retain him.
Teitan

Postby Selmon Rules » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 pm

As long as they are in a second tier conference, they will not be able to keep a quality coach for very long

Sucks but it is what it is
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

The Power 5 will be expanding soon. UCF is a lock to get into a big conference, and so is USF for that matter. Probably won't be the SEC or ACC due to the current P5 schools playing defense against it, but if bet that USF ends up in the Big 12 and UCF ends up with them or in the Big 10.
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Zero chance the Big 10 would take UCF. And it wouldn’t be for football reasons.
Zarniwoop

Postby Teitan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Zero chance the Big 10 would take UCF. And it wouldn’t be for football reasons.

What are the reasons?
Teitan

Postby Nano » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Academics(neither USF or UCF is a member of the AAU), location(you must border the state of a current B1G member which neither USF/UCF does), and penis size of the average male student(must rank in top 35 of country, USF is 87th and UCF is 104th)

And then you have athletics
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 pm

I could see the bulls getting grabbed up by the ACC.

Ironic as it would be.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Zero chance the Big 10 would take UCF. And it wouldn’t be for football reasons.

I agree
Phantom Phenom

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:19 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:

I agree

CFB is all about the $. Academics is a thinner veil every year.
Ken Carson

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am

Nano wrote:Academics(Must have trouble counting to 10), location(Need to be in an area where snowball fights are more interesting than the game on the field), and penis size of the average male student(needs to shrivel up in the cold to nicely fit in required panty liners)

And then you have athletics

Good points
bucfanclw

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk