College Football Playoff

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: College football playoff poll.

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:13 am

If you are undefeated in a P5 conference you are going to get in. The playoff were always designed for the P5. There were talks years ago about the P5 pulling away from the NCAA. It's not crazy to think it could happen at some point. I think it's fine. The fewer number of teams, the more exciting the season is.
uscbucsfan

Postby Teitan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am

I thought this was a pretty good take on the whole thing. If you can get past how homer-y it is.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... story.html
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 am

Teitan wrote:I thought this was a pretty good take on the whole thing. If you can get past how homer-y it is.

Of course you would.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am

The "more teams" issue is easily solved by conferences having divisions and thus a championship game. For example, Miami v. Clemson this year will de facto be a playoff elimination game.

People will say that maybe those two were the best two, so they should both go. No. You lost. You're out. Same as what happens in the playoff. Lose and you're out. See you next year.
Kress

Postby deltbucs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 am

Teitan wrote:I thought this was a pretty good take on the whole thing. If you can get past how homer-y it is.

I saw "by Mike Bianchi" and closed the window.
deltbucs

Postby BucaRican » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:44 pm

deltbucs wrote:

I saw "by Mike Bianchi" and closed the window.

Mike Bianchi has to be the most over exaggerater in the history of sport radio and sports talk.
BucaRican

Postby Cheb » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Doctor wrote:I'm all for 8 teams. As long as undefeated teams have no shot at a championship college football will continue to be a rigged joke. A team literally beat everyone on their schedule, you can't ask any more of them than that. And don't give me the "schedule tougher opponents" bullshit. No big name school will risk taking an L by actually playing against a surprisingly tough and scrappy smaller school. If they lose it's a huge blow to their whole season, if they win people will just shrug it off like "meh, they were supposed to win, I mean it is X School after all". Too much to lose, too little to gain. Tell them that little undefeated X school is going to take their spot in the playoffs and you'll see bigger school taking that risk in order to deal that smaller school an L.

All of this.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Cheb wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm all for 8 teams. As long as undefeated teams have no shot at a championship college football will continue to be a rigged joke. A team literally beat everyone on their schedule, you can't ask any more of them than that. And don't give me the "schedule tougher opponents" bullshit. No big name school will risk taking an L by actually playing against a surprisingly tough and scrappy smaller school. If they lose it's a huge blow to their whole season, if they win people will just shrug it off like "meh, they were supposed to win, I mean it is X School after all". Too much to lose, too little to gain. Tell them that little undefeated X school is going to take their spot in the playoffs and you'll see bigger school taking that risk in order to deal that smaller school an L.

All of this.

Yep..
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Again...as things are constructed currently, UCF wouldn't make an 8 team playoff either. This isn't an issue within the P5 conference, even with a weak schedule. Win and you get in. The playoffs weren't made for the "group of 5". They are basically a different league. For them to get into they need to stack their schedule with historic powers in the P5 and win all of their games.
uscbucsfan

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Again...as things are constructed currently, UCF wouldn't make an 8 team playoff either. This isn't an issue within the P5 conference, even with a weak schedule. Win and you get in. The playoffs weren't made for the "group of 5". They are basically a different league. For them to get into they need to stack their schedule with historic powers in the P5 and win all of their games.

If being in the Power 5 was a stated requirement for the playoff, it should be written into the rules.

I also think these preseason Top 25 rankings are a massive disadvantage to the Group of Five. If the first rankings came out two weeks ago, you wouldn't have so much bias for the Power 5 in terms of strength of schedule.
Ken Carson

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:28 am

Doctor wrote:No big name school will risk taking an L by actually playing against a surprisingly tough and scrappy smaller school. If they lose it's a huge blow to their whole season, if they win people will just shrug it off like "meh, they were supposed to win, I mean it is X School after all". Too much to lose, too little to gain. Tell them that little undefeated X school is going to take their spot in the playoffs and you'll see bigger school taking that risk in order to deal that smaller school an L.

This is bullshit...and has been for DECADES.

First...these schedules are set AT LEAST 2 years in advance. Even 3 or more.

I'm a Miami Hurricane fan. Their 2019 schedule includes the University of Florida and Central Michigan. How in the **** are they supposed to know if UF or (more importantly) Central Michigan are gonna be good? 2 years ago...when they scheduled these teams...CM was pretty ****ing good and UF won the SEC East. Now? They suck.

A few years back, they played USF and UCF. USF was good and UCF sucked balls. Now...not so much but in 2 years, when they play again? Who knows? In 2 years USF AND UCF might suck ass...or they might be undefeated.

And most major schools are in the same boat, I'm sure.

A few years ago, Ga. Tech scheduled UCF to play THIS YEAR. THEN...UCF won, 1 game. THIS YEAR? The game was cancelled (hurricane) but UCF is really good. Who knew?

Point is...big time programs play these small schools EVERY YEAR. There's just no telling if these schools will be decent or suck that year. These small schools aren't Alabama or Oklahoma or USC or Ohio state. You KNOW these teams are gonna be decent EVERY YEAR. Central Michigan? UCF? Arkansas State? They're gonna be good ONCE every 5 years! Who the **** can figure out if it's gonna be THIS year?

Doctor...you don't know what you're talking about...or (at best) you're mis-informed.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 am

Miami...in 2 years, plays Temple and Michigan State.

Is Michigan State gonna be undefeated or suck ass?

Let me know now so I can count the win...is THAT the year temple wins 8 games or 1?
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 am

Oh...and next year, we play LSU, Toledo and Florida International (out of conference).

Is Toledo "one of those teams"? Is LSU gonna suck next year and win 6 games? Is FIU the "new" UCF?

I think MOST people get the point..."big" schools don't "duck" smaller schools. Ya just don't know when these small programs are gonna be really good...
Alpha

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:38 pm

The committee should drop Alabama and Clemson out of the playoff top 4 for scheduling Mercer and the Citadel. Make them earn it back.
Ken Carson

Postby Kress » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Ken Carson wrote:The committee should drop Alabama and Clemson out of the playoff top 4 for scheduling Mercer and the Citadel. Make them earn it back.

Not considering who they have beaten. Everybody gets a cupcake or two. But disregarding the in conference wins, your main out of conference game is beating Auburn? That everybody is so high on right now? Sheesh. What are they going to do?

I guess just beat Miami in the title game, then Oklahoma in the first playoff game, then Alabama for the championship. Again. Lawd have mercy.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 am

Kress wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The committee should drop Alabama and Clemson out of the playoff top 4 for scheduling Mercer and the Citadel. Make them earn it back.

Not considering who they have beaten. Everybody gets a cupcake or two. But disregarding the in conference wins, your main out of conference game is beating Auburn? That everybody is so high on right now? Sheesh. What are they going to do?

I guess just beat Miami in the title game, then Oklahoma in the first playoff game, then Alabama for the championship. Again. Lawd have mercy.

I'm the BIGGEST Clemson fan in the country.

PLEASE beat the '*****! (see what I did there)

This is what the top 4 SHOULD be (as of tonight):

Bama
Miami
Wisconsin
UCF

UCF is fucked simply because they don't play in a Power 5 conference.

IF Bama, Miami and Wisconsin win out, they're in. I don't think that's really disputable. The one thing the committee members have been fairly consistent on is favoring conference champions. 3 of them being undefeated...and all having quality wins (assuming you consider a win over 2-loss OSU a "quality win" for Wisconsin)...it's really a no-brainer.

The 4 seed is gonna be the bitch. The turd in the punch bowl. The fly in the ointment.

IMO...an undefeated AND conference champion UCF is the only team that has a real, legitimate beef. After that...you really don't. When you lose a game or two...you can't really bitch if you're passed over for another one or two loss team. It's semantics at that point; they will ALL have an argument...to be in or OUT. That's why the committee is there. Remember...back in the day...it was COACHES and SPORTS WRITERS that had the say. Regional bias was EXTREME amongst sports writers and "coaches" (it was never really coaches) voting was a farce.

The fun is gonna be when we have a 1 loss Bama, with 1 loss Georgia (Conference Champ), a 1 or TWO loss Clemson (Conference Champ), a 2 loss OSU (Conference Champ) a 1 loss Oklahoma (Conference Champ) and an UNDEFEATED UCF (Conference Champ).

UNLESS Bama, Miami and Wisconsin win out, there is gonna be MAD BITCHING.

And I can't wait...
Alpha

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:16 am

Kress wrote:

Its more of an optics thing. Both of those teams will make the playoff if they win out, and only Alabama gets in with a loss. But it's an absolute joke to have Mercer on your schedule if you are a Power 5 school trying to get into the playoff. Mercer is for the Kentucky and Indiana and Wakes of the world trying to get bowl eligible.
Ken Carson

Postby Kress » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:30 am

Speaking of cupcake wins, I do like that Clemson picked The Citadel to spank for their annual military appreciation day game. That was a nice bit of irony. Rude irony, but still irony.
Kress

Postby Kress » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:38 am

Alpha wrote:I'm the BIGGEST Clemson fan in the country....

Yeah. And I'm the biggest Miami fan in the country.

This week.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Kress wrote:
Alpha wrote:I'm the BIGGEST Clemson fan in the country....

Yeah. And I'm the biggest Miami fan in the country.

This week.

Hold me?

copywrite PetePierson
Alpha

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:55 pm

SOS for top teams (from Sagarin)

5 - ND
12 - Clemson
34 - Oklahoma
36 - Auburn
41 - Miami
47 - Georgia
49 - Ohio State
55 - Wisconsin
63 - Alabama
90 - UCF
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:SOS for top teams (from Sagarin)

5 - ND
12 - Clemson
34 - Oklahoma
36 - Auburn
41 - Miami
47 - Georgia
49 - Ohio State
55 - Wisconsin
63 - Alabama
90 - UCF

He has UCF ranked at 16.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:08 pm

That seems reasonable to me.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:That seems reasonable to me.

THEY ARE UNDEFEATED! ROBBED! YOU CAN ONLY BEAT WHO YOU PLAY!

I just like giving them a hard time. I think deep down they know they shouldn't be in the playoff.
uscbucsfan

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:20 pm

SoS really doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to Power 5 schools.

It plays more to teams like UCF (this year) or Boise St. (in the past).

The committee has shown that a Power 5, conference champion, is gonna get the nod.

I suppose SoS is fun for fans to make arguments about "their team"...but it really is a non-factor, for the most part.

I vote for CHAOS. I say, let ALL of the undefeated teams lose. Can you imagine the bitching and moaning!? Yes Ohio State fan...that means you.
Alpha

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Alpha wrote:

The committee has shown that a Power 5, conference champion, is gonna get the nod.

Except for last year...
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Alpha wrote:

I suppose SoS is fun for fans to make arguments about "their team"...but it really is a non-factor, for the most part.

I vote for CHAOS. I say, let ALL of the undefeated teams lose. Can you imagine the bitching and moaning!? Yes Ohio State fan...that means you.

Why would you want your Undefeated Canes squad to lose?
Super K

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Super K wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I would LOVE to see the 'Canes play for the title this year...but I've seen a LOT of football on my time. I don't seriously wager any longer...so that aspect is out. At some point...it is just more FUN to see you kids get your panties in a bunch over why (insert your team here) got SCREWED because they were left out.

"I KNOW we lost 2 games but..."

HILARIOUS....
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Except for last year...

Don't misconstrue...there are always outliers.

I'm speaking in generalities.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Super K wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Frankly...I'm really looking forward to seeing them play Clemson. The newest "big kid on the block". I liked Clemson, back in the day (early 80s). One of my HS teammates played LB for them back in the day. Been to the campus. Like the coach. And their fans don't have the sense of entitlement that other fan bases do (Ohio State, ND, Alabama).

They are a hard team to root against.

Also...I think Miami is a couple of years away from being talented enough to seriously compete for a title. This year is gravy for me, personally. They have the staff (finally) to maximize their talent and their recruiting has improved tremendously. I watched Richt at UGA for many years. It's gonna piss a lot of people off but you're stuck with a UM team that's back for as long as he's there. Deal, bitches...
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk